[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Dickus edition.

Discuss anything aquarium related here, including tanks, bowls, inhabitants, logs, decor, plants, and issues. Before asking questions in this thread, make sure you give us at least some details when asking a question, such as:

>Tank size (include dimensions, not just volume)
>Unusual Parameters (nitrate, pH, GH, KH)
>Any inhabitants + how long you've had them
>Age of the tank
>Pictures are always helpful

Tank Cycling:
>www.modestfish.com/how-to-cycle-your-aquarium/

Stocking and Water Change Calculator:
>www.aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php
>www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/Calculators/EffectiveWaterChange.ph

Articles and Care Guides:
>www.seriouslyfish.com/knowledge-base/
>www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/
>www.aquariumcoop.com/
>www.theaquariumwiki.com/wiki/

Aquatic Plant Database:
>www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plantfinder/all.php
>www.flowgrow.de/db/aquaticplants

Previous thread: >>4780265 # #
>>
Aquariums are boring. Make a pond.
>>
>>4786175
Show us your pond then mate, surely you aren't larping?
>>
File: 20240430_165317.jpg (119 KB, 960x720)
119 KB
119 KB JPG
What other fish should I add to my 14 gallon?
>>
File: IMG20240327004657.jpg (2.54 MB, 3468x4624)
2.54 MB
2.54 MB JPG
>>4785678
Give it a go anon, you are more than capable. Buffering substrate, some rodi water and some shrimp salt is all you really need to keep them.
I only top my tank off with pure rodi, and I haven't had to add any more shrimp salts since I set the tank up. Keep the TDS under 200ppm (cheap ebay tds pen is your friend) and you are golden.
>>
File: glass.jpg (11 KB, 192x174)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
I'll ask some local-retard to make me a 16 gallons (60 liters) aquarium with regular non tempered glass. Should I use 6mm glass or thicker? I want it to be really sturdy. Do I need an extra piece on the top connecting both sides? And should I also add a metal frame at the bottom?
>>
File: IMG_6128.jpg (1.52 MB, 4032x3024)
1.52 MB
1.52 MB JPG
For all three of you nanocuck monster fish haters that replied to me in last thread. I went and purchased three hoplias sp. Columbia in your honor.

I hope you enjoy having a horrific, carnivorous giant purchased in your honor because you decided to be little punks.

Pic rel, is one, will keep you losers updated on all the live feedings and other “animal cruelty” that I conduct
>>
>>4786241
6mm good, don’t need a frame and no tempered. Honestly if you do the math it’s holding very little water pressure. Made plenty of rimless nanos in my time in the aquarium hobby and never had any issues
>>
>fish console wars
I cannot even imagine this level of insecurity, lmao.
>>
>4786246
You act like you are better than them while simultaneously letting them control your behavior. You did not make the decision to get those fish because you wanted them, you allowed the thread to force you to buy those fish. You aren't even in control of your own life.

You are pathetic.
>>
>>4786246
I understand where you're coming from, lately it feels like everybody with a dumb little 5 gallon shrimp tank sees huge tanks with huge fish and goes "all that for a few fish? I'd have blah blah community blah blah blah planted tank" or tries to argue that "some fish just don't belong in aquariums" when it's literally just like 3 peacock bass in a 500+ gallon tank.
>>
>>4786272
you are literally fighting ghosts
making up a scenario and arguing with the clouds
absolutely pathetic
>>
>>4786246
Oh, cool. Anyways-
>>
>>4786274
i don’t mind the occasional friction and sperginess in these threads. It’s a nice deviation from the reddit hugbox culture, the shitposting overlap with the hobby discussions adds a fun and lively element to it all.
>>
>>4786241
>custom aquarium
>16 gallons
Why? Also, it's fucking 60 liters dude. Stop over thinking it. There are literal dollar store plastic bins that can hold that much safely for years.
>>
>duuude did you see me position some sticks and rocks together? it looks sooo crazy man ahh ahhh i-i’m scaaaaping aghhhhh
>>
don't you have a dino/cat/dog thread to shit up?
>>
File: awHPifs.png (2.64 MB, 1200x1600)
2.64 MB
2.64 MB PNG
Tests are 0/0/0 after 3 weeks of ghost feeding and the monte carlo is going crazy.

Seems like the nutrients are getting absorbed as they're produced.
>>
>>4786218
What
>>
>>4786325
Looking great anon, is that monte carlo under any crazy lighting or co2?
>>
>>4786359
I wouldn't call the lighting crazy, no chiros or twinstar fancy shit or anything. But there is some cheap co2.
>>
>>4786138
I'm sick and today I took a nap and had a nightmarish fever dream about my boomer mom who refuses to put her betta in a proper tank showing me a discus and an oscar she just bought intending to put them in bowls as well.
>>
>>4786285
didn't know MD wore glasses now
>>
File: IMG_6134.jpg (2.31 MB, 4032x3024)
2.31 MB
2.31 MB JPG
>>4786261
Nah I wanted Hoplias but used them as an excuse to convince myself to get 3.

Seethe more nanocuck
>>4786272
My thing is I like collecting rare fish, and besides some hypressobrycon species and kali tawa rainbows there’s not anything in nano I consider the level rare I like to keep. But I can’t even post about my bichers on a Cantonese leg shaving forum without people critizing me, so I am waging war.
>>4786274
No im having fun making retards like you mad
>>4786285
Tried some scaping comps early in my hobby. And I quit cus everyone acted like they were discovering fire for the first time. Like is it that hard to make your aquarium pretty?

>>4786374
Had those dreams when I worked at LFS’s. Funny thing is they were all pretty tame compared to what some of the subhumans wanted to put in their tanks irl
>>
File: bigboi.jpg (3.97 MB, 3790x2222)
3.97 MB
3.97 MB JPG
>>4786246
Tigerfish or GTFO.
>>
>Hypocrite that you are, for you trust the nano aquascaping youtubers to tell you what to buy. All cycling knowledge is ultimately based on that which we cannot prove. Will you forgo a filter or will you perish like inbred neon tetras?
>>
>>4786246
Kek are you autistic? Your post and your actions reek of autistic tantrums...
>>
File: IMG_3667.jpg (1.93 MB, 4032x3024)
1.93 MB
1.93 MB JPG
Behold, the dwarf clawed frog

God’s favorite creature. Without them I would surely have no reason to live.
>>
>4786453
What's it like being profoundly mentally retarded? Is it like being high as fuck all the time? If so I'm kinda jealous, ngl.

>>4786492
I thought about getting an adf but after doing some reading I decided not to buy an animal that is too blind to see its own food and too stupid to not drown itself if you have any plants. Its a miracle these things are still alive in the wild.
>>
there's just no sovl in the monster fish world, bare tanks and nigger fish is all i see
>>
File: surfing crayfish.webm (2.24 MB, 414x720)
2.24 MB
2.24 MB WEBM
>>4786528
That's because big fish fuck up anything else. They'll toss any hardscape around, sometimes hard enough to break the glass, and destroy plants. The monster fish lives only for violence.

Much like the crayfish.
>>
>>4786548
Looks to me like he’s mastered his surroundings…
>>
>>4786548
pumice moss anon needs to recreate this
>>
File: IMG_6137.jpg (211 KB, 1280x720)
211 KB
211 KB JPG
>>4786479
>tigerfish
>Post unrelated image taken at a public aquarium
if you are serious about a hydrocynus they are fairly cheap, regularly see them for under 100 bucks. You get a forsakii or a vivitatus you only need a few hundred gallons too. I’ve heard their fun fish, if I were to do a fast swimming riverine preparatory characin tho I would track down some true brassie dorados
>>4786487
>>4786517
>Someone knows more about fish than I do and has a different taste in fish! He must be mentally ill!
Suck is life as a nanocuck soiboi
>>4786528
>there’s just no SOVL… ACKK
While I will admit most of the monster fish keepers are retarded teens or negros with a red tail cat, silver arowana and a bunch of cichlids in a aqueon 180 gallon. The minority is people like Jeff Rapps and Wes/fugupuff. I really think if your in the hobby long enough you either become super specialized in one type of fish (think Gary Lange or Jack Wattley) or end up with a few tanks with monster fish. At least a few large central or South American cichlids.
>>4786548
Depends on the fish, I’ve seen some very nice planted tanks with aros, wolffish, mastacembids, and even piranhas. Piscovores and scavengers generally leave the scape alone. It’s fucking giant ass cichlids and loricarids that ruin scapes.
Also cool crayfish

Disclaimer, the tank posted isn’t mine, all of my current tanks are grow outs. Gonna work on scaping a display next week and will post pics
>>
File: amanotank1[1].jpg (67 KB, 600x268)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
>>4786578
>While I will admit most of the monster fish keepers are retarded teens or negros
Related point: arguments against monster fish keeping are hypocritical. The nano fish world is filled with just as much, if not more, really retarded crap. E.g. spongebob decor. The percentage of actually good systems for both monster fish and nano is pretty fucking small. Even all the wannabe Iwagumi tanks tend to look pretty garbage, especially long term. Let's not forget that Takashi Amano himself made Iwagumi tanks with large fish.
>>
>>4786517
they are the deadliest and most efficient of predators

you know not what you mock
>>
>>4786578
>wall of seethe
Confirmed for mentally ill
>>
>>4786698
Post tank bussyboy
>>
>>4786732
>more autistic sperging
Once again confirmed for mentally ill
>>
>>4786625
I thought discus ate invertebrates, are amanos too big for them?
>>
I've got a little plastic 2 gallon storage aquarium with some sand, a sponge filter, and a couple plants in it. Would blackworms survive in there or do I need to keep them in the fridge? Somewhat new to keeping live food.
>>
File: shrimp.png (807 KB, 900x600)
807 KB
807 KB PNG
I'm getting conflicting reports of whether or not Amano Shrimp can live peacefully with Neocaridina Shrimp.

A lot of people say "It's fine, just pay attention during feeding because amano shrimp can be aggressive/greedy for food", but there are also people that say "I got amano shrimp and they killed and ate my cherry shrimp" so I'm confused.

I think some amano shrimp would help with algae but don't want to fuck with my neos, who are in my tank because they look cool.
>>
>>4786970
I don't think I've ever heard of trouble between the two, Amanos might hoover up baby neos but so does literally everything. Probably just confusion over neos dying for other reasons and then amanos picking over the corpse. I've seen amanos be aggressive to other amanos while feeding and I guess they may act the same way to neos but that's about it.
>>
What are some small, peaceful fish that

> Can live in a 10 or 20 gallon community tank
> Can be happy as a single fish without needing others
> Isn't a pleco
>>
>>4786980
Honey gourami
Apistogramma (will eat shrimp)
Rams
Flagfish
Scarlet Badis if you can target feed
>>
>>4786980
10 gal
Dwarf neon gourami
Honey gourami
Apistogrammas
Pea puffer
Most wild betta
Most kilifish

20 gal
Betta macrostoma
Betta antua
South American leaf fish
Banded bush fish
Red eye pufferfish
Smaller Macronathus (half band, yellow tail, zebra)

You go up to the 30 that opens up
Most Amatitlania (besides sajica)
An angelfish
Pao puffers

Hope this list helps
>>
>>4786980
>>4787016
Fudge didn’t see community part. Sorry you have to figure out which ones are peaceful not gonna spoon feed anymore
>>
>>4786970
Look up Floo the Flowerhorn on YouTube, he has both amano and cherry shrimp in all of his tanks, I doubt he'd put them together if they were killing each other.
>>
Are red honey gourami "real" or are they morphs of Dwarf gourami?
>>
>>4787017
>Here's a list of fish I copy-pasted from ChatGPT
>It doesn't actually answer your question since I didn't bother reading your post
>My work here is done
Why even reply at that point?
>>
>>4786970
Amanos get double the size, and will eat anything they can. Neos can look after themselves for the most part but young/weak/freshly shed can absolutely become victims, just because they're so much smaller. Neos will easily outbreed any losses however so it's not a particularly important issue. If you're still unsure, you could just lower your light duration/intensity to reduce the algae that way.
>>
>>4787048
Wtf is chat GPT? I was just trying to suggest some fish I thought were cool
>>
are 10% water changes per week enough for a 90 gallon/340 litre tank with four fancy goldfish?
>>
Baby Betta Snoopy showing his hyper-metallic coloration
>>
>>4787115
>>
File: IMG_234811_02052024.png (439 KB, 434x433)
439 KB
439 KB PNG
My betta Bruce
>>
(You) are bad at baiting
>>
>>4786807
Amano the dude, not the shrimp which are named after him. Amano shrimp are not required for an Iwagumi tank. However I have had discus and amano shrimp together. Seems fine. Not sure if it's the size or lack of coloration or a combination or maybe they were just really well fed all the time.
>>
>>4787120
Bruce looks to be a girl betta. She would probably like a slightly bigger tank with a filter and some live plants. Pretty betta tho
>>
>>4787098
Try it and find out.
>>
shit i just realized a problem trying to make a shrimp only tank for the first time
with nothing to eat something at the surface i'm basically just making a mosquito breeding ground
is there anything i can do?
>>
>>4787098
Maybe if the water change involved nothing but gravel vaccing and rinsing filter media of sludge, so you're basically removing goldfish soup. Do you have any emersed plants? They would help a lot for controlling nitrates.
>>
>>4787298
Put a lid on the aquarium or add a surface skimmer.
>>
>>4787310
It already have some sort of lid but it's basically just a piece of plastic that i put over on top of it, i assume mosquitoes still somehow find its way to wiggle inside
Would a rougher surface disturbance work? i'm already using a sponge filter but it's a quiet low powered air pump, maybe i should try using a more powerful one?
>>
>>4787315
Unless the tank is outside, I wouldn't worry about mosquitos breeding in your tank.
I may be wrong, but freshwater shrimp are happy to pick at surface 'scum'.
>>
>>4787315
A surface skimmer just catches mosquito larva effectively, more turbulence could work but I haven't tried. If you've got a lid you should be fine, mosquitos aren't that smart. Besides, how many mosquitos do you have in your house?
>>
>>4787320
>mosquitos aren't that smart
The larvae, however, are fairly cottoned on to surface turbulence and avoiding it.
t. Have a big bucket outside for free larvae feed and possible parasite introduction.
>>
>>4787340
>t. Have a big bucket outside for free larvae feed and possible parasite introduction.

I know that feel. Parasites are just too fucking tasty bros I can't quit them
>>
>>4787320
Depends on the season but right now i haven't been seeing any which makes it more surprising that i'm seeing 3-4 larvae in the tank right now
>>
>>4787343
Critters make the wiggle
Feesh just engage crack-mode
Also did you mention free

I tend to treat them as a treat, not sure how a high-protein (commercial) and a high-organics (read: free) source interact but so far so good.
I do solid 100% water changes on the buckets every now and then just to make myself feel better, not sure if that does anything for pathogens but eh. Very high tannins where my buckets are though.
>>
>>4787345
I wouldn't worry too much about parasites, maybe feed some garlic too as a prophylactic measure. Get some daphnia and tubifex in that bucket and baby, you got a stew going.
>>
>>4787120
This looks like a really gorgeous betta, as others said, get him/her at least a 5g tank.
>>
>>4787248
Change the name to caitlyn
>>
>>4787438
Good post
>>
note to self: never try to clean the skirt tetras tank's exterior at night with the lights off
they got spooked so bad i was worried they could ram themselves into the wall
>>
>>4787507
I've had fish ram into things after being frightened. It is terrible. A flagfish I had hit herself so hard she got brain damage. After that she would just slowly swim in a spiral pattern until she hit the bottom, then shoot up to start again. She did that for a few days until she died. I'm not usually affected by nano fish death much, but seeing that was surprisingly horrifying.
>>
>>4786138
I’m almost done finishing my basement and I’m putting a live edge piece along the “shelf” from where the foundation meets the studs. After I epoxy it I thought I could jazz it up with a neat freshwater aquarium, but I like to take my time and make sure everything is perfect so I’ll probably start buying supplies in a month or so. I’ve always had pets and I obsess over their care and wellbeing so whatever fish I get I want to make sure the conditions are perfect for that specific species. I’m doing a lot of my own research and it’s fruitful, thus I’m not so much asking for an entire how to guide, but I am curious; what is something you wish you knew as an absolute beginner? Even small tidbits would be appreciated
>>
Need some guidance. This guy was free. He is in a 1.5 gallon hospital tank currently. He has a severely bloated swim bladder on both sides. Currently he's on day 3 of fasting. Next step for me is to add salt

Aquarium or epsom salt? I'll move to antibiotics if he doesn't respond to salt in 3 more days. I never used epsom on Bettas before and cured issues like this with aq salt in past. But wanna do well with him. He's a sweet boy. Tries to swim next to hand even in this state
>>
File: IMG_1423.jpg (3.4 MB, 3775x4273)
3.4 MB
3.4 MB JPG
>>4786138
Mayaca pretty decent plant, bushy and a bit wild looking
>>
>>4787529
>what is something you wish you knew as an absolute beginner?
I did this as a beginner thanks to anons here some years ago but I will reiterate: plants! lots of plants! Maintaining stable water chemistry is so much easier with plant assistance. Don't do the overstocked cichlid tank thing as your first tank. That one is more work, takes regular large water changes, cichlids delete plants as a hobby and life purpose so you don't have plant help for that one.
As a practical consideration: look in to how you're going to be doing water changes. Where is the nearest faucet? Are you doing a hose or just hauling buckets? If hose, what's the plan for hooking it to the sink?
>>
>>4786138
do under gravel and sponge filters operate better with relatively tall uplift tubes? If I cut one down to say 6 inches, would it function the same?
>>
File: IMG_20240501_122828.jpg (1.59 MB, 3648x1680)
1.59 MB
1.59 MB JPG
My Blue Velvet neocaridina shrimp tank is exploding with shrimp.

Are there any fish that will do well in a filterless shrimp tank?

Is it possible to keep a betta in it without it eradicating the shrimp?
>>
>>4787820
betta. get a pretty female. many males will stay with them fine too though.
>>
File: IMG_20240502_191448720~2.jpg (2.54 MB, 3000x3860)
2.54 MB
2.54 MB JPG
What's up with this plant is it lacking nutrients if so what should I supplement it with?
>>
>>4787957
No fren that is your java fern propagating itself. Congrats on the happy plants. Rip the baby plants off, replant them and you will have a tank full of the best aquarium plant, in my opinion.
You will see nutrient deficiencies in the hydrocotyle japan before the java anyway.
>>
> Buy 4 cherry shrimp a week or so ago to make sure neos can do ok in my tank
> Figure if they survive I'm good to get more, if they die I'll troubleshoot
> They're tiny, spot two the next day but after that don't see any of them
> Decide to buy a single amano shrimp to do the same test, but with a larger shrimp that will be easier to find

I don't think I did a very good job explaining my thought process when I went in to buy a single amano shrimp so the guy who owns the fish store probably thinks I'm retarded lol

Watching my fish exhibit what appears to be genuine curiosity both times that I have added shrimp was pretty neat.
>>
>>4787968
If they are too large to be eaten and you are not finding bodies, they are alive. If they die because of water parameters you will see bodies out in the open. If they were ripped apart by your fish but not swallowed whole, you will find pieces of them. Shrimp are very good at hiding and they can go ghost mode for a month+ after being added to a new tank.,
>>
Approximately how many cherry shrimp can I add to a planted 20 gallon tank with 15 neon tetras?
>>
>>4788003
Their bioload is tiny. Lots. The consideration is how long do you want to wait for the population boom. You could start with four and as long as you've got a least one of opposite sex in there you will have more shrimp in tiny. I'd start with 8 or 10 or something, price depending.
>>
>>4788003
Around 4000. 12000 if they're babies.
>>
>>4788005
Should I add them to the main tank straight away or should I keep them separated to allow them to increase in number first?
>>
>>4788013
If they are big enough that you are confident your tetras cannot swallow them whole, put them straight in the main tank. Half size to adult size is big enough for neon tetras.
>>
>>4787972
That's what I figured, but the hobby is still relatively new to me so I thought I'd make sure I wasn't killing anything/wasting money needlessly.

My neighbor's shrimp (she picked hers up the same day I did) are just chilling on top of her plants all day with no fear whatsoever, but her tank has way fewer hiding spaces than mine does so I guess that could be why. Either that or the dude sold me anti-social shrimp.

>>4788003
>>4788013
This is funny, because I have a 20 long with 11 neons and a couple other fish and was having the exact same conversation a little while back - I have a spare 10 gallon that I was thinking of setting up as a temporary shrimp tank. My thought was it would be better to buy a smaller amount of shrimp, breed them for a generation or two, and then once they get large enough add them to my 20 gallon so they get a head start (without having to worry about an entire generation of fry getting eaten).

I'm still not sure if I'm going to do it or not, because while it would be fun it would also be a lot of work when I could instead just go buy 20 neocaridinas and let them slow grow a colony instead.

As an aside, drip acclimation also seems to be extremely important, I did it by taking a (well rinsed) 2 liter soda bottle, cutting it in half shortways, and then turning the top half upside down (so that the cap is facing downward inside the bottom half). The shrimp and water from the store go in the bottom, my aquarium water goes in the top, and by just slightly opening the cap on the bottle you can control the drip speed. The epitome of "if its stupid and it works...".
>>
File: chrosomus_kun.jpg (544 KB, 1080x808)
544 KB
544 KB JPG
Everybody say high to Chrosomus-kun, my new fish!
He's not a well-known species 'round these parts. So if you have any questions, feel free to ask!
>>
>>4788134
strange name but ok :)
>>
>>4788152
The reason is because the genus name is Chrosomus, his full name is "Chrosomus eos" but for fun we just call him "Chrosomus-kun".
>>
>>4788134
Do you only have one? Found they do much better in groups of at least 8 or so. And a crap ton of flow
>>
>>4788179
I have 5. The pond I got them from had no flow.
>>
>>4787593
Bloat has reduced some after one day with epsom salt
>>
>>4788155
Give him an actual name. Naming is important to caring about things. That's like calling a dog dog. Abdicates your feeling of responsibility in some way.

Until the 1900s, it was common in western societies to not name babies until about four years of age, due to mortality.
>>
>>4788279
>>
Ruby tetras or ember tetras? I love the deep red of the embers but they're such a basic tetra I'm not sure I want them in my new planted tank. Any (uncommon) tetra recommendations?
>>
>>4788299
For some micro tetras
Jelly bean
Adonis
Tucano
For the red
hyphessobrycon sp. muzel red cherry
Hyphessobrycon sp. orange lemon
I really am partial to red phantoms even tho they are common

>>4788193
Ahhh I usually collect the southern variety in clear fast flowing streams. Maybe the northern is more parameter tolerant?
>>
>>4788280
Facebook.com
>>
Hmm. I'll not too thrilled about the mature form of featherfoil. It grows tall but if you let it do that it will only keep green leaves on the upper 50% of the stem. The lower 50% puts out mid water roots and it looks like an ugly mass of dead java moss (but alive). I'm going to prune it back and add something else. Maybe Taiwan lily.
>>
>>4786138
>started my first planted tank in perhaps 20 years
huh, well fuck me runnin’ nitrates dropped 15ppm in a week even with heavy feeding.
>>
Is cuba really that much harder to grow than monte carlo?
>>
>>4788279
that sounds made up
>>
>>4788506
It's harder in the sense that it's more demanding, and since it's smaller, takes more time to fill out and is easily uprooted even when established. You basically need CO2 injection, decent flowrate and medium to high light for HC cuba, while monte carlo can be grown lowtech. Drystart is generally best for both.
>>
Does the blender/paint method work with all aquarium mosses?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TifXGwMgZAc

I've got like 10 different types of mosses and want to propagate them massively but would hate to exterminate some species
>>
>>4788549
I haven't decided if I want to do a dry or a dark start next, which ever one I do I'll do the other one afterwards.
>>
Decided to get a single dwarf crayfish on a whim for a 10g that i have lying around and they're more interesting than i thought, fairly active and exploratory in the day to noon
Kinda thought the opposite since i used to have a regular cray as a kid and he mostly burrow a lot of the times

I still don't know if i can get more since i used to have 2 cray in a single tank and they were really aggressive together and one ended up eating the other on a molt, but maybe it's different for dwarfs?
>>
>>4786138
how many pea puffer in a tank with a footprint of 24”x12”/60x30cm?
I impulse purchased a shallow tank for gfs office room so I could experiment with emergent growing plants, but the fish needs to be woman approved
>>
>>4788500
>nitrates in a planted tank
I'm surprised you have any at all!
>>
File: IMG20240504012720.jpg (2.17 MB, 3468x4624)
2.17 MB
2.17 MB JPG
Apologies for the shit photo, but my caradinas have FINALLY had babies, looks like mostly blue bolts but some look dark/black on their head. Feelsgoodman.
>>
>>4788643
I'd say about 5, could be more depending on how planted the tank is
>>
>>4788774
Nice. How long did it take?
>>
Native saltwater tank anon fresh out of hell (college) and back in business!!! Heres progress on try #two!
1 year ago this month this tank crashed from copper laced tapwater killing inverts and setting off ammonia spike during a very hot day. This time around I have RO water, my AC ready for the summer, and an improved 1 year old tank growing small macroalgae!
We have the new generation of mummichogs in breeding dress, same old survivor shrimp, new rock gunnels that love to sleep in the hydrometer, and many more critters to come!

I have my hopes up for this tank this summer.
>>
>>4788820
Almost forgot your video!
>>
File: IMG20240504144503.jpg (3.07 MB, 4624x3468)
3.07 MB
3.07 MB JPG
>>4788789
About six months in this tank, cheers. They are enjoyable shrimp to keep, but nothing is funnier than sticking my hand in the cherry shrimp tank and getting a free manicure. Based indestructible cherries.

>Is the anon who had sulawesi shrimp still around? Would be interested to see how they are going.
>>
File: IMG20240504172758.jpg (3.5 MB, 4624x3468)
3.5 MB
3.5 MB JPG
>>4788844
>free manicure
>>
Any of you guys had success with doing plants on a goldfish tank?
I just started putting some on mine a month ago with some simple java fern and buce tied and glued to the hardscape and the fucker managed to rip everything apart
Now i get why a lot of people just do them non-planted
>>
My 1.5 liter bottle diy co2 is popping off. I don't have a frame of reference tho (with real co2 system). Will it be enough to supercharge my plantus? 120 liter tank and I placed the co2 diffuser in front of the filter out.
>>
>>4788868
Some CO2 will always be better than none, it's virtually always the limiting factor for aquatic plant growth. With DIY CO2 I would pay attention to having an even bubble count, and set up a second bottle just as you notice a drop in output. Consistency is key, as plants will have to adapt to the increased CO2 before they can maximally utilise it. You don't want the plants constantly chasing changing parameters, that's a good way to generate BBA, staghorn or outright melting your plants. Also, since CO2 also makes plants better at utilising light, you can keep the light subdued for at least 6 weeks while they adapt, before trying to ramp the lights up, which again should be a gradual process. If your livestock choices allow it, a circulation pump or two can really help distribute the CO2 to every corner of the tank, which will help avoid algae caused by plant stress if you do go for high light.
>>
>>4788924
Thanks for the info. I only have plants and I have lots of extra pumps, I put an extra in there.
>>
File: newtetra6.jpg (94 KB, 1327x879)
94 KB
94 KB JPG
How do they keep finding new freshwater fish every year? Especially in places that are already major ornamental fish hubs.
Shouldn't have this been a wrap like 50 years ago when the boomers were cataloguing everything?
>>
File: fqj9bqjf2cd81.png (141 KB, 399x279)
141 KB
141 KB PNG
I got two goldfish today. What should I name them?
>>
>>4788994
Re and Tard
>>
>>4788990
>new sampling methods
>misidentification/looking over certain physical features that are minute between species
>endemic species (seriously, there's fish that only occur in small, secluded parts of giant waterways that aren't easy for people to access)
Think about how much time a place like the amazon has had for fish to speciate into very specific niches, then how the places that they end up staying in are secluded and don't have much contact with humans, let alone biologists or any sort of field workers who would be able to sample those specific places accurately and effectively.
>>
>>4789082
It's definitely the last point, there's shit that lives in one or two streams in massive rivers systems. It's just Darwins Finches underwater.
>>
>>4788990
Obscene levels of diversity, deep rainforest. Look at how many species are in the eastern US, and that isn't even a rainforest.
Also gigachad darter tetras and gigachad below water
>>
Hi, I'm making a 40 gallon tank for my gradfather as a gift and I wanted your opinion: I've already decided that the tank will have around 20 neon tetras, 20 green tetras and shrimp. While that would be good enough for me, I'm sure my gradfather would like to also have some centerpiece fish. I was thinking about gouramis, angel fish or apistogrammas... Which of those would you think could go better with small tetras and shrimp?
>>
>>4789124
A lot of those centerpiece fish would eat the baby shrimps.
You could get him a betta. A 40 gal is big and some bettas don't care about shrimp. They would do well with your little tetras
>>
>>4788820
>>4788821
Woot! You're back. Hope things go better this time.
Can you share what equipment you are using? Wave makers, filter, sump? Anything special for a native reef tank?
>>
>>4788857
My LFS has common goldfish in a really long tank where about half the height is substrate and the plants are big, like the Amazon swords.
This is similar to what father fish said, big fish really need that deep substrate, 6-7in, and plants that develop a large root system.
>>
>>4789139
Yeah that makes sense, i thought i can get away with java verns and buce since they're leafy, wide and thick but didn't know they would constantly nibble at the exposed roots as well
>>
File: taiwanlily.jpg (285 KB, 1600x1066)
285 KB
285 KB JPG
I have obtained two cultures of taiwan lily. I have been lead to understand this plant can grow planted or in the water column, epiphyte style. I'm going to try both ways and see.
>>
>>4789136
Just standard aquarium fare so far. Hygger light. Powerhead, and sponge filter.
I don't know if I can do a reef tank. I probably would have to dive and find coral.
I need to find some good spots that have really nice tide pools.
>>
I just spent $50 on 5 shrimp yesterday, my betta ate half of one yesterday within half an hour and I wake up today to find 2 of them dead, one missing and one scared for his life holding onto a leaf avoiding the betta
Waste of money
>>
>>4789292
>Waste of money
I mean, yes, but betta aren't advertised as 100% shrimp safe. If you're buying expensive shrimp the normal procedure is shrimp only tank or shrimp + absolutely shrimp safe fish like otos.
>>
>>4789292
Lol lmao, that isn't the shrimps fault. Maybe try pet rocks for your betta idk?
>>
File: NeocaridinACK.webm (1.88 MB, 576x680)
1.88 MB
1.88 MB WEBM
>>4789292
>buying expensive shrimp for a betta tank
>>
>>4789306
>expensive
No I just live in Ausfailia where everything is marked up to shit and I got jewed
>>4789305
im just going to get snails instead
>>
>>4789306
that look at the end
>got more?
>>
Hey my new planted tank is due to finish cycling in a couple of days and I was wondering if it would be alright to add my 2 dwarf gouramis Ive been keeping in the quarantine tank right away or if it would be better to add some 2 or 3 danios from another tank before adding the big fish.
>>
>>4789319
Zero ammonia and nitrite? Yeah.
>>
File: 20240504_195343.jpg (981 KB, 2300x1089)
981 KB
981 KB JPG
> post picture of tank
> realize I posted the un-resized version, delete post
> repost with the resized image
> realize I forgot to add the image, delete post
> post again

I might be retarded
>>
>>4789388
nice tank tho. very green.
>>
>>4789292
I made the same fuck up buying dither fish for my dwarf cichlid recently. They were too small and fit in his mouth like a hotdog. Burnt $40, but at least i didnt lose a fish i really cared about.
Lesson learnt and we move on.
>>
File: Frog.jpg (2.3 MB, 4080x3060)
2.3 MB
2.3 MB JPG
Anybody have some Dwarf Frogs?
>>
>>4789247
There must be something extra tasty about the goo Tropica includes in the cultures for these. My corys and shrimp are all over it in a way they never are for any other new plant.
>>
ok brehs

i have a pair of krobia that i was convinced would never spawn because I never saw them try until maybe a month ago (they came from the same spawn so I assumed they knew they were related and were uninterested idk)

but they’re only courting and displaying and get up to the step of spawning and at least from what I’ve observed it’s almost as if they notice something is missing

my list of things to feel out:

>no overhead lighting for a bit
>add more sand (there’s gravel on a considerable portion of the footprint)
>more blackworms (all LFS have been out for a couple of weeks)
>raising temp to 80*f (started at 74 last week, 76 today)
>added more plant cover
>50-75% water change bi-weekly maybe 25% weekly
>maybe ph/hardness

Anything I’m missing? my fish are 5. Are they geriatric or something? How do I know I’m not getting memed on by two old spinsters? I haven’t seen a tube on the larger one but the smaller one definitely has dropped her tube a couple of times

They’re also outrageously shy and hard stop all mating behavior as soon as they perceive me observing them which has probably been the most fucking annoying experience I’ve had in this hobby
>>
Rip grumpmeister, the widowmaker sparkling gourami.
3 years and 4 months. Took out 4 females and 3 males in his short time on this planet.
>>
>>4789434
... what? You have a murderous sparkling gourami?
>>
File: IMG_20221128_122600.jpg (663 KB, 2312x1040)
663 KB
663 KB JPG
>>4789436
Is there any other kind?
>>
>>4789440
I've never kept them. I didn't know they were potentially violent like that.
>>
File: IMG_20220531_193409.jpg (3.76 MB, 4624x2080)
3.76 MB
3.76 MB JPG
>>4789443
The males can be pretty aggressive when spawning. Knocked out 2 males the first night I had them, I think knocked out a female from exhaustion and took out another two because they kept eating the fry. First month, maybe he just had extra bloodlust, but it is known.
>>
>>4789440
the most based gourami
>>
>>4789292
if it's small and it moves we can eat it
>>
>>4789261
And are the macro algae enough to deal with the nitrates?
I mostly rely on soft corals - my nitrates and phosphates have been 0 for over a year.
>>
>>4789306
Imagine how constipated he's gonna be after that snack.
>>
If you have one of those small no filter nature aquariums with just a betta in it, do you need to dose something for the plants?
>>
>>4789538
Nah, chitin is an excellent source of fibre.
>>
>>4789391
Thank you. I like a lot of plants even though it looks chaotic compared to some of the more sculpted/scaped tanks.

I recently replaced my hob filter with a sponge filter (hidden in the back left corner) and added another small filter on the right. The hob was creating a lot of movement, the fish seem to like it better with the calmer water now.

I also have an airstone but I can't find the air line splitter that came with my air pump, so my only line is going to the filter. I haven't checked to see how much of an impact splitting the air would be in terms of filtration in comparison to getting a small second air pump. If I can't find the splitter in the next day or two I'm either going to buy another one or another pump sometime this week.
>>
>>4789406
> gravel
> no plants

That frog could be a lot happier.
>>
>>4789306
>You’re next
At the end kek
>>
What fish is less likely to get aggressive with my sailfin mollies? A school of blackskirt tetras or a couple of male dwarf gouramis?
>>
Lads,
Characins or Cyprinids?
>>
>>4789716
Cyprinids, purely out of being a SEAboo.
>>
>>4789705
in my experience skirt tetras are really chill especially if you have them in decent numbers
while gouramis are almost always really territorial, if you want to keep them with mollies i think you'll have a chance if you have a lot of mollies in the first place so that the gourami will never gang up on 1 constantly
>>
>>4789582
You can. Need? Questionable.
>>
>>4789582
I have a 40gal no filter with a Betta in it. So far I didn't dose anything, but I imagine once the dirt runs out of nutrients I'll have to add some root tabs. That hasn't happened so far, I'm guessing it's because I don't do water changes so the poop goes into the substrate.
Also, the Betta is kinda old, and if he dies before the substrate needs root tabs I'll probably add more fish to the tank, and the bioload is going to increase.
>>
I tried XTREEEMMMMMEEEEE flake food today. Thumbs up all around but god that brand name is dumb.
>>
File: tf-640x355.jpg (21 KB, 640x355)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>4789821
1 mirrion flakes
>>
File: 1707375734653.jpg (2.67 MB, 2460x4000)
2.67 MB
2.67 MB JPG
>>4789821
It could ALWAYS be worse...
>>
File: foxalsofish.jpg (718 KB, 1500x1100)
718 KB
718 KB JPG
>>4789874
>WOWIE! ZOWIE!
>Burt Ward, "Robin, the Boy Wonder"™ from the BATMAN TV series, wants your dog to live a healthy, happy, active life!
>>
Cichlids are weird
Earlier today mine just decided to be depressed out of no where, wouldn't eat just stared at me and sat in a cave. I checked every inch to see if she was sick or something but couldn't find anything.
She's acting normal again but I'm wondering what set her off, sometimes they see shit outside the tank and just get scared for no reason I guess.
>>
Any recommendations for planting a 6 gallon cube? I am going filterless, dirt substrate, the only inhabitants will be shrimp and snails.
I get Java ferns for free by taking them from my other tank, I was thinking Amazon swords would be a decent choice for root feeders as the leaves look fairly similar to the ferns. Petco only had a couple of very sad looking ones so whatever I get I'll be mail ordering, which broadens my options.
>>
>>4789927
One of the small anubias strains. It's very slow growth. Good for a general coverage plant that rarely requires pruning even in a small tank like that.
>>
>>4789880
where can i get this fish
>>
>>4789874
if i had a dog i would unironically buy and feed this. schizocore products are always good. i use dr bronner's soap for everything even though he died and his retarded jew kids took over and started adding new retarded products when the original formulation was perfect.
>>
>>4790062
Burt Ward breeds them
>>
Can you use oak leaves, twigs, and mulm as a substrate? I only plan on growing java fern and floating plants.
>>
Have any of you been to any sort of aquarium expo/convention? Thinking of going to the keystone clash in PA but it's $100 for a few days.
>>
>>4790258
$100 is pretty fucking steep. Last time I went to one, it was $35, and I got to see one of Joey's last talks before he "retired" from public speaking for free. (The Big Fish Deal over in DC, I think it was #4 or #5.)

Like, how many workshops/presentations to do you have to attend and how many fish/plants do you need to buy before that $100 is worth it? Probably a lot more than you're comfortable with. Think of it this way: if you bought nothing, or bought stuff that was the same price you would get at any LFS anyway (which is likely true as there usually isn't steep discounts at these; vendors rely on impulse purchases) and went to two workshops/talks, you're basically paying $50 for each presentation. Is that worth it?

I mean, it could be fun just to look around and maybe meet people. I did after all meet Joey and Rachel O'Leary at that con.
>>
File: questions13.jpg (71 KB, 960x720)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
I am somewhat unclear on how exactly shrimp are able to swim so fast. It doesn't look like they're doing anything other than wiggling their rear legs really speedy.
>>
>>4790276
Yeah, you make some good points. Then again I don’t have anyone in my life to share my hobby with, so it could be a good time to connect with others? Some of the talks are really interesting too, but $100 really is a lot. Maybe I’ll sleep on it
>>
>>4790297
their swimmerets, i think that's what they're called are basically paddles that makes it really efficient for swimming
though for the jerky backward thrust they do when they're threatened they use their whole tail to flick their body
>>
>surface almost entirely covered by floaters
>one massive piece of bog wood and a few stones and botanicals
>fixed position fish portal ray of light to support some crypts with a few anubias around the edge
What fish for this? Also, is there anything that can grow under surface plants like mosses or are they all likely to die?
>>
>>4789927
Amazon swords would get too big for a 6gal. Add some crypts instead. And if you want a red plant that will take up vertical space and go above the water, use ludwigia.
>>
>>4790395
Endlers live-bearers
>>
>>4787593
That looks painful, maybe he needs the toilet water glide.
>>
File: 20230610_104925.jpg (3.86 MB, 4000x3000)
3.86 MB
3.86 MB JPG
>>4790258
It's not quite the same but I went to an aquatic open day last year located at an alternative horticultural school. They had some activities for kids like pond dipping and face painting but there was also an aquarium gallery supplied by local aquascapers, a wabi kusa workshop and a couple of very educational talks. It was really good fun, I got to meet George Farmer and Tai Strietman (lovely guys) and I enjoyed chatting to other local fishkeepers. I blogposted about it at the time but I don't even know if /an/ has an archive to dig it up from.
>>4790298
I'd recommend going if you're alright with the price. The one I went to was very cheap (just £2 entry) so a fee of $100 would make me hesitate, but like you I have no one in my life to talk about fish with so getting to mingle with other hobbyists was a ton of fun and I learned a lot.
>>
>>4788276
Good to hear, keep us updated. How much Epsom did you put in his hopital tank?
>>
>>4786528
I like small tanks and small animals, I enjoy the cute appeal and convenience, but Im not gonna pretend that the big fish aren't cool. The sovl is in the fish itself with the monster fish (not saying small creatures all lack sovl)
>>
>>4787120
depressing
>>
>>4789124
Your grandpa would probably like angels the most, I think a ton of shrimp and a betta is gonna be a lot less appealing than less shrimp and a couple angels

boomer vs zoomer tastes
>>
>>4790298
>so it could be a good time to connect with others?
Yes, most definitely. I met a lot of interesting people there that lived in my area. I wasn't particularly looking for people to talk shop with, but were I, it would have been very easy to connect. It was also a good opportunity to see what the local fish groups were all about (in this case, primarily the Capital Cichlid Association, which I found out isn't really particular about Cichlids, and all freshwater enthusiasts are welcome).

Tip: try to look at the vendor list beforehand. What you really want to look at as soon as the doors are open are the vendors that have travelled from out of state. They will have stuff you won't find at LFS. Get there as early as possible. Some shit goes quick.
>>
File: IMG_20240506_201048.jpg (1.55 MB, 2080x4624)
1.55 MB
1.55 MB JPG
I think my tetra is about to lay eggs. Should I separate it in a bucket with some plants etc.? WHAT DO
>>
Other than carpets, are there any plants that really benefit from CO2? I know it improves everything generally but stuff like stems grow monstrous anyway and your anubias and crypts are never going to explode.
>>
how do you guys cull your snail populations?
>>
>>4790673
I crush them with my fingers
>>
>>4790688
I used to do that all the time as a kid
>>
>>4790673
Loaches are your fren
>>
>>4790673
ph under 6 with zero kh and they are easily destroyed by any inquisitive fish
>>
>>4790532
I think CO2 is worthwhile on larger tanks, and for people who haven’t really dialed in how to run their system, which plants and light levels etc. the buffer capacity against an imbalance that would lead to an algae explosion is nice.
>>
File: IMG20240504144920.jpg (1.8 MB, 4624x3468)
1.8 MB
1.8 MB JPG
>>4790673
feed less, shrimple as
>>
>>4790532
Not really true at all. Lots of stems will simply suck shit lowtech. Even for those that can survive, CO2 will significantly improve robustness and habit (internode length will be shorter, resulting in a fuller, more compact growth habit, and stems will be thicker, less fragile). CO2 will make your anubias go from one or two leaves a month to one or two a week. Same for crypts, buce etc.

And it will significantly raise the threshold before light induces algae too, allowing you to further increase growth rate, or just have less algae. For some plants that you simply won't be able to grow without it, look to eriocaulons.
>>
Theres gotta be a better way of getting CO2 into the water than injecting it from a highly pressurised canister, it still seems insane to me. You don't even need the 25+ppm to see massive growth and anti algae effects just 15 is fine.
>>
>>4790752
I’ve been running diy co2 for the past month and a half while my tank was cycling and removed it once I added fish due to the lack of output control (it was the really basic two bottle yeast reaction setup and the diffuser, no bubble counter) and i’m worried the switch will stress the plants out and lead to problems. Do i have anything to worry about?
>>
>>4790801
How much would you get with one of those setups where you fill a bottle with co2 and let it dissolve over time?
I've seen tabs that release are supposed to release it too but that always seems like a scam otherwise it would be way more popular.
>>
>>4790807
The MJ guy did a pretty basic test of a popular CO2 tablet thing in a video and he put in like 5x the recommended dose and his CO2 drop checker never changed colour.
>>
Why does the weather fuck with me every time I order fish?
I checked on saturday and it was nice and below 75 all week so I made an order. I check today and now Wednesday is going to be over 80 only that day somehow, every other day is still cool.
>>
>>4790807
The tabs are scams. Filling the bottle with CO2 and letting it slowly dissolve is a much better solution, but will obviously lag behind pressurized injection with the upside of being extremely cheap. But here's the thing: where are you getting that CO2 from to fill that bottle?

You can also think of it this way: It only costs a few bucks to fill up even a 5 lbs tank and it'll last months with direct injection. If you're worried about $20 over 3-6 MONTHS then you're probably in the wrong hobby. The bottle method makes sense for some dude running dozens upon dozens of tanks and attempting to eke out a living on the hobby's razor thin margins, but for us... not so much.
>>
>>4790891
They'll be fine. Have faith. What'd you order?
>>
>>4790909
I got a betta which should be fine but I'm a little worried about the dwarf emerald rasboras I got.
It's pretty much always fine, the only time I had fish get sick from shipping was from when it was too cold but I always worry any way.
>>
>>4790673
On the rare occasion they got out of control I picked some percentage out by hand and boiled them. I figured that was the most straightforward as it is the standard cooking method if you were to eat them. Water already boiling, pour in snails.
>>
I like buying bettas and putting them in 10 gal tanks, just because i feel bad seeing them in plastic cups
>>
>>4789306
cool looking betta
>>
>>4790976
I wish bettas literally didn't exist.

> pain in the ass to have in anything other than a single fish tank due to their tendencies to sperg out on most other animals
> the only semi-reliable way to have multiples in one tank is if they are all female, and even then you're rolling the dice
> most of them are unhealthy as shit because they are sold in tiny ass cups smaller than a cereal bowl
> most of them have shit lives because they're sold as a 'beginner fish' and put into tiny ass bowls with no plants, no filter, and a handful of marbles on the bottom
> even in the proper tank you still have to make sure the waterflow isn't too high or else their fins get all fucked up

If I could snap my fingers and make one species on planet earth go extinct (other than jews) it would be bettas for sure.
>>
>>4791010
lmao this nigga fails at keeping a beginner fish
>>
>>4791038
Why do retards reply to posts that they clearly didn't actually read?
>>
>>4791049
why do dumbfucks take obvious bait lmao gottem
>>
>>4791056
Right, sorry, you were just pretending to be retarded. My mistake.
>>
>>4791057
>My mistake.
don't forget it!
>>
>>4791010
I genuinely think the betta cups (and the tiny divided tank set ups) were the whole problem all along. Both the LFS I go to stopped doing that years ago and now have the same set up, a female "sorority" and one male per display tank along with the nanos and from talking they seem to be way better behaved. Of course they'd go insanely territorial after being isolated.
>>
>>4791059
I will do my best to get better at spotting retards and people who are acting like retards in the future.

I'm not sure which of the two you are, but I have a hunch.
>>
I have a 100 gallon tank in the works rn and my roommate wants Angelfish but I kinda want Discus instead

Could we go half and half of them since they're both Cichlids?
>>
>>4791082
>has to have the last word
rent free, bettas are based
>>
>>4790966
And did you eat them? Or did you feed them to your fish?
>>
>>4791010
> Bettas look good, better than any other fish (hear that, saltwater folks?)
> Constantly act like a puppy
> Can learn tricks
> No need for other fish in your tank, a Betta is all you need since they're so great
> No need for a filter, you should have plenty of plants and hiding spots for them, so the bacteria will thrive
t. have a Betta in my 40gal, wouldn't change it for anything
>>
File: water.png (35 KB, 757x438)
35 KB
35 KB PNG
Gonna have to bite the bullet and get an RO unit after I move aren't I?
>>
>>4790804
Depends on so many things. Mainly the light intensity you're currently running. Of course, your plants won't appreciate getting CO2 rugged but if they do melt they'll probably recover, if the light is already low. If it's high light you can help them out by lowering the intensity. Light drives CO2 demand, since plants can't turn off their chlorophyll (without melting). You'd be surprised how little light aquatic plants can survive on. But only do this if there's likely a big difference between the new and old parameters, since it can be a tossup whether changing multiple things with the tank is going to do more harm than good. Ideally, any of these changes would be done gradually.
>>
>>4791196
What are you keeping? Sub-400 TDS tap will keep most common fish without problem, as long as there's nothing poisonous in that 400.
>>
I keep pronouncing bettas as betas is this correct
>>
>>4791264
It's like better but with an a on the end.
>>
Bettera
>>
>>4791192
I flung them in to the garden. I assume they will provide sustenance to the native invertebrates and fertilize the soil.
>>
File: Amano.jpg (1.22 MB, 2388x1668)
1.22 MB
1.22 MB JPG
God I love these guys. I’ve got the bigger (which I assume is the female) who is berried pretty frequently. Considering trying to breed and sell some amanos as a side hustle because I both want more and need more money. And I just love them. I’m not sure what species these two are, I’ve seen them called snow amanos.
>>
File: IMG_1455.jpg (184 KB, 1100x1100)
184 KB
184 KB JPG
>>4786138
I got some H. metae
really nice fish, a lot like black neon but instead of the black contrast there’s more iridescence, and a super bright gradient line from sky blue to almost copper

how tf people manage to get clear colorful pictures of fish
>>
>>4791463
Still image from high framerate video
>>
>>4786138
>blackout, power wont be back maybe for days
>1C at night
Fuck I guess Ill have to use the kettle and do water changes everyday. Help
Fuck fish and fuck aquariums
>>
Can’t get the ammonia levels in my tank under control, did a 100% water change cleaned out all the mulm, replanted my plants, refilled and cycled and five days later the ammonia is way up again according to the test kit I have, and two of my five corydoras have died
>>
>>4791567
How long did you cycle for?
>>
>>4791567
Just over twelve or so hours while I was at work Friday used api QuickStart, my otos and ramshorns seem fine but I found the two smallest of my corys dead today
>>
>>4791576
Yeah the quickstart stuff is - at best - going to half the time to cycle, which is 4-6 weeks in a brand new tank. 12 hours is nothing.

Add duckweed, hornwort, and/or guppy grass, add chemical filtration, and water change frequently. Your fish are probably still fucked but those will mitigate the damage.
>>
>>4791576
Lmao
>>
>>4791578
Already have a bunch of hornwort and java ferns in the tank as well as an Amazon sword
>>
Fellas, what is it about fish keeping that attracts so many low functioning retards?
>>
I’m fucking done boys came home about half an hour ago to find that my sister-in-law (wife’s sister) came to visit while I was at work and her shitspawn went into my office and dumped about half a bottle of 3D printing resin into my ten gallon betta tank, I just feel fucking defeated rn
>>
>>4791606
Kids suck. Chain it out back
>>
File: 20240507_215917.jpg (3.1 MB, 4032x2268)
3.1 MB
3.1 MB JPG
What could be causing the degradation of my dwarf swords in this 10 gallon?

There are guppies, shrimp, a pleco and pest snails with a few assasins in the tank
>>
>>4791606
thought you said “I’m fucking boys dumb” for a minute lol
>>
>>4791585
I imagine the fish, you fucking retard.
>>
where the fuck do limpets even come from
i'm cycling a 6g that my friend gave me using some coarse sand that 's been sitting in the closet for years and somehow they managed to pop up
>>
>>4791834
They manifest from the ether same as ramhorn snails.
>>
>>4791706
Looks like Phosphorous deficiency. What ferts are you dosing?
>>
>>4791835
Fuck thought it was only me that had random ass ramshorn syndrome, had them pop up within a month tank that only had leaf grass seeds, sand, and river rock in it
>>
File: DefFlowChartMobile.png (241 KB, 948x713)
241 KB
241 KB PNG
>>4791854
>>4791706
It's hard to tell from the photo but it does seem to be mainly affecting older, larger leaves. Definitely some macro nutrient missing.
>>
>>4786138
does anyone else find stocking difficult? There’s some sort of magic that can happen with the right variety, negative space, color and shapes etc that’s difficult to achieve.
>>
This is the best scape I've ever seen. It's like an ancient rainforest out of a fantasy movie.
>>
>>4791101
Yeah, I do.

Bettas are dumb and you would have been better off as a chunky sludge in the dumpster behind an abortion clinic.
>>
File: betta than you.jpg (28 KB, 554x554)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
>>4791896
see
>>4791101
>>
>>4791911
see
>>4791896
then promptly kill yourself
>>
>>4791948
I'll dump my chunky sludge in your tank if you're not careful
>>
Looks like /aqg/ has a new autistic schizo...
>>
File: high test fish.jpg (23 KB, 400x400)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
>>4791948
do you know the difference between you and a betta?
you are lacking T, evident from the beta male obsession with having the last word
>>
^no self awareness...
>>
>>4791861
i've always wanted to take a crack at a palud/riparium but i don't know if i have the patience for it
Like some of the vid i've seen of the easier setup have a pretty intricate level of DIY-ing
>>
>>4791988
what's intricate about gluing a fern to a big of tall wood?
>>
>>4791988
Most of it is just lava rock and silicone to get the height. you can use HOBs with foggers or just out the box misting systems to maintain humidity if you go open top like that ADA tank. Plumbing in a waterfall is just a submersed pump and a bit of pipe. All pretty easy. I think if you want to try it, just jump in and see what problems you encounter. So what if your first few attempts kinda suck? You learn every time.
>>
File: IMG20240509001054.jpg (3.38 MB, 4624x3468)
3.38 MB
3.38 MB JPG
Comfy
>>
>>4791567
>>4791576
> "cycled" for 12 hours
> no floating plants
> dumped the fish in without testing the params beforehand
> already killed some fish
This is bait, anons. Wouldn't surprise me if this is Flanders, laughing his fat, brown, arse at the (yous).
>>
>>4792080
>Wouldn't surprise me if this is Flanders, laughing his fat, brown, arse at the (yous).
What happened to that dude? Did he finally give up?

>>4791859
It's much like choosing hardscape or plants or coral (for saltwater): you have to look at the whole picture. A lot of people just yeet random things they thought looked cool individually in, with mediocre results. There's a lot of factors to consider. Do you want this to be a chill tank or a very active tank? Do you want a friendly tank or an aggressive tank? What kind of inverts are you planning to have? What are the dimensions of your tank?

There's a lot of techniques to accomplish this. A lot of people here start with a centerpiece fish/species then build around that. Like if you want dario dario as a centerpiece species, you're not going to have shrimp. If you choose a centerpiece fish that tends to be a bottom deweller/hider, perhaps you will need dither/peaceful schooling fish in the middle. Another approach (which I like to do) is a layered technique, where you consider stocking by bottom, middle, and top (either by how they spend most of their time swimming or how they feed). Often people who don't think of the whole system when stocking will overstock one layer and may be unhappy with the results. Some people think of a scape/plants first then the fish, some will scape based on their fish's needs.
>>
File: 1710818770226353.webm (3.62 MB, 1152x1152)
3.62 MB
3.62 MB WEBM
Dayum lil bro's RED.
He stays in his shedding period with muted colors for so long that I always forget how he actually looks like.
>>
>>4792094
Kino fucking tank bro
>>
>>4792094
oh hey i think i remember your tank way back when it was fresh
nice to see the Acguy is still holding up, the algae makes it look so much better
>>
File: 1703331128653286.webm (2.94 MB, 864x864)
2.94 MB
2.94 MB WEBM
>>4792094
For comparison, same dude from long ago, in shed. I guess he gets a cooler pattern?

>>4792102
Ye the otocinclus love hanging out on its fingers. The Hygogg was too big for this aquarium though. Took it out and used it as a base for a 40K admech dunecrawler, have yet to paint it though
>>
>>4792106
>using 40k models for aq decoration
Unbelievably based. Do you have more pics? The webm on >>4792094 isnt loading for me.
>>
>puffers see Amano shrimp
>ignore them
>puffers see ghost shrimp just as big as an amano
>it’s dinner time
I regret getting these little fucks, though they’re very cute.
>>
The one I really like is always the buddha garden statue tanks, peeking out from between bushy stems or whatever.
>>
File: 1684735900621846.webm (2.97 MB, 1440x1440)
2.97 MB
2.97 MB WEBM
>>4792112
I had glued rocks on him to keep him from floating - once I took him out and tried to remove the rocks, his entire bottom half got destroyed, so used him as a "derelict of an ancient civilization" base acessory.
I think I took photos of the finished thing (without paint) but can't seem to find them, just this webm of different poses I was testing out prior to gluing.

small correction: Gunpla* models for aq decoration, turned into 40k models.
>>
>>4792120
>>4792094
>when your hardscape costs more than your tank and all its inhabitants
Based. But also fucking GW.
>>
File: 1701508536905198.jpg (699 KB, 1569x1378)
699 KB
699 KB JPG
>>4792151
the aquarium gunpla were only like ~10€ each. Found the last photo I have with them both.
unrelated GW model was indeed theft though
>>
File: 1685053971202648.webm (3.66 MB, 1440x1440)
3.66 MB
3.66 MB WEBM
Also last spam. Got lamp eyes this week, just about the same length as green neon tetras but less girthy. Tetras seem to be more territorial and mid-level, lamp eyes tend to stay on top and skim bits of food floating on the surface (handy) whereas Tetras only eat stuff while it's falling and tend to search & peck for food on the bottom afterward. With this I assume lamp eyes are better shrimp companions, but neither is bad.

Didn't expect their eyes to pop this much, they look 2x brighter than a green neon's band, so they're just as fun to look at despite being less colorful overall.
>>
File: 20240508_124659.jpg (3.51 MB, 4080x3060)
3.51 MB
3.51 MB JPG
Hello. I moved this guy to be the centerpiece of a 10gal I set up this week and every day he is constantly swimming from one end of the tank to another and then swimming up and down against the glass. Is he stresssed? I set up a cave with driftwood in one corner where he was hiding the day he came into the tank but now he's doing what I described before. Is that glass surfing normal and what can I do to calm him down?
>>
>>4792219
It's probably not params but check ammonia anyway just in case. Gourami like really heavily planted tanks so post a better photo.
>>
>>4792176
I've been thinking about lampeyes for my blackwater tank. Not sure yet.
>>
>>4792176
Never seen anyone with lampeyes, but they're at every fucking store. They look good in your setup.

I got some pencilfish recently, they're a weird mix of tetra and danio behavior, quite nice to look at - I'd rate them as more active, similar fish to WCMM for the temperate-tropical range. I can't get a good picture of them, but now that they've settled, they spend all day pecking biofilm on plants and hardscape, a lot like little platys.
>>
File: IMG_6755.jpg (1.33 MB, 4032x3024)
1.33 MB
1.33 MB JPG
>>4786138
First time seriously keeping fish what would you recommend for my 36 gallon?
Have
2 clowns
2 snails
A peppermint shrimp
1 bicolar blenny
2 hermit crabs
>>
File: IMG_6756.jpg (1.5 MB, 4032x3024)
1.5 MB
1.5 MB JPG
>>4792270
Want to get a watchman and pistol shrimp
But really want to add corals
>>
>>4792219
how spastic is he? darting around and constantly running the glass sounds like a sign of stress like he's trying to get away from the condition in your tank
I would check params and do a water change just in case
>>
>>4791856
Thanks I'll get more root tabs
>>
File: IMG_6181.jpg (2.58 MB, 4032x3024)
2.58 MB
2.58 MB JPG
Baby wolffish eyeballing some cut bluegill. Took it shortly after photo was taken
>>
>>4792278
Throw a real bluegill in and the wolf fish will get fucked up
>>
File: 1696177257544364.png (570 KB, 1441x1037)
570 KB
570 KB PNG
I'm playing god by attempting to put caridina shrimp in a scape with seiryu. The tank parameters are good but the KH is just on the high end. Small water changes have been effective at keeping it at good levels before they were added, here's hoping keeps working.
>>
File: IMG_6148.jpg (1.91 MB, 4032x3024)
1.91 MB
1.91 MB JPG
>>4792289
>he thinks any fish that’s similar size to a wolffish even stands a chance
I see you’ve never owned one before. It also wouldn’t help the bluegill that there’s three of them in the same tank currently…
>>
>>4792297
Lol
Sunfish >>
>>
>>4792297
My bowfin would fuck your wolf fish up dude
>>
>>4792094
>>4792106
>>4792120
>>4792176
Incredible tank maybe even the best yet. Nice work brother
Dunecrawlers are based
>>
>>4792291
The amount of KH released by seiryu decreases exponentially as pH rises. Caridina don't really need acidic water, if you can get to 7 it'll probably be better overall.
>>
File: IMG_6177.jpg (2.33 MB, 4032x3024)
2.33 MB
2.33 MB JPG
>>4792323
Would normally agree, but these are hoplias we are talking about. Piranha eating machines
>>4792333
Please be nice mr. Trips they are just babies
>>
>>4792273
He does the glass swimming thing for a little while then calms down and goes to his cave and after a little while of being there he starts swimming up and down the glass again. He's not spazzing or darting but he's swimming fast.
>>
>>4792274
Swords have a reputation for being big root feeders but that doesn't mean they don't also take nutrients from the water column via their leaves, if your substrate isn't that old you might be better off dosing ferts.
>>
So if I get a regular filter and a sponge filter to go along with it I can overstock my tank?
>>
File: IMG_20240508_174141266~2.jpg (3.34 MB, 4000x2866)
3.34 MB
3.34 MB JPG
I'm retarded. I bought 2 cherry shrimp to test if they could survive in my tank but now I can't find them to confirm if they're still alive. I underestimated how easily they could hide.
>>
>>4792528
Is that hydrocotyle? It looks nice, are you using co2.
>>
>>4792530
No CO2 I just let the tank cycle for about 2 months with some sunlight
>>
>>4792491
https://aquariumscience.org/index.php/13-stocking/
This ranting autist is a good reference.
>>
>>4792270
>>4792271
> Add more live rock, so you have two mounds, one on each side. Look up the rule of thirds
> Add some zoas at the bottom of the rock piles
> Make sure the rocks won't move if a goby digs under them, then get the goby + pistol shrimp combo. Just make sure the goby and the blenny don't start fighting - sometimes they're assholes to each other
> Get some Xenia so the clowns start hosting it
> Get some green star polyps to grow on the back wall
> Add more snails and hermit crabs, I have more than you and my tank is half the size.
>>
>angelfish are growing bigger and aggressive so I buy them a new tank
>so much more space for them and it's scared exaclty for them with fallen wood and plants with white sand
>they all still hang around each other in a group and nip at each for being to close
Stubborn jerks
>>
how do i get a 55 up on a stand by myself?
>>
File: IMG_1458.jpg (36 KB, 1179x180)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
>>4792582
>>
>>4792582
Empty the water out first
>>
New bake
>>4792617
>>4792617
>>
>>4792554
How many snails and hermits should I have?
And how can i be sure the rocks won’t move?
It’s only a month old tank
>>
>>4792528
it's best not to count them. Buy them in bulk, it's cheaper.
>>
>>4792278
smashed and slammed predator 3x tetra

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.