[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Casual corydoras edition.

Discuss anything aquarium related here, including tanks, bowls, inhabitants, logs, decor, plants, and issues. Before asking questions in this thread, make sure you give us at least some details when asking a question, such as:

>Tank size (include dimensions, not just volume)
>Unusual Parameters (nitrate, pH, GH, KH)
>Any inhabitants + how long you've had them
>Age of the tank
>Pictures are always helpful

Tank Cycling:
>www.modestfish.com/how-to-cycle-your-aquarium/

Stocking and Water Change Calculator:
>www.aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php
>www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/Calculators/EffectiveWaterChange.ph

Articles and Care Guides:
>www.seriouslyfish.com/knowledge-base/
>www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/
>www.aquariumcoop.com/
>www.theaquariumwiki.com/wiki/

Aquatic Plant Database:
>www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plantfinder/all.php
>www.flowgrow.de/db/aquaticplants

Reef and Saltwater tank general: >>4751364 #

Previous thread: >>4775116 #
>>
File: minimum size.webm (2.78 MB, 520x360)
2.78 MB
2.78 MB WEBM
>>
>>4780273
That's a fairly small amount of water for an average-sized betta, I'd say
>>
File: IMG20240318222708.jpg (2.95 MB, 3468x4624)
2.95 MB
2.95 MB JPG
I love shrimp, simple as.
Once my glowlight and ember tetras die natural deaths, I will be shrimpmaxxing every tank I own.
>>
Bump bump
>>
>>4780299
Have a blue bolt from my breeding tank.
>>
File: IMG20240327004657.jpg (2.54 MB, 3468x4624)
2.54 MB
2.54 MB JPG
>>4780324
Based Aussie bolt posting
>>
>>4780265
>baby comet in a ~8-10 gal tub, about 1.5 inches
>big filter, plants in the filter, floating plants on top
>perfect water

Feels good man
What do you all think a reasonable minimum is for an adult comet? Is a 100 gal stock tub pond okay? 75?
>>
>>4780371
100 should be fine, but remember they live for up to 20 years and get up to 16 inches.
>>
>>4780371
>minimum (with a lot of maintenance)
20 high
>minimum (not retarded)
40 breeder

>>4780376
>16''
lol. Very few exceed 1' and half of that is minimally metabolically active tail finnage, actual body length tends to range from 5-7'' or so. If you have one with very long tail finnage you do need a longer tank to actually display it to its full effect but less extreme comets and stuff like shubunkins are fine in smaller tanks.
>>
>>4780265
>still no women in OP
>>
>>4780323
Neat tank
>>
>>4780412
>still no women in your life
lol lmao
>>
>>4780414
your mother is woman enough
>>
I've never seen a woman with a piranha tank
>>
>>4780428
Piranhas really are enthisiast fish and the whole big/monster tank scene is mostly male.
I considered getting some a while ago, but they are rather boring to have, high cost and maintenance. In smaller tanks, always just on the edge of massacring each other.
>>
>>4780412
but there is at least one woman in this thread
>>
>>4780468
proof?
>>
>>4780384
>stuff like shubunkins
On tonight's edition... Anon learns what a comet goldfish is!
>>
File: PXL_20240422_180900154.jpg (2.07 MB, 4032x3024)
2.07 MB
2.07 MB JPG
What's your longest running aquarium and what was in it?
>picrel is mine, bought it nov 2008
>had some goldfish that were kept the retarded way, but still lived for quite a while
>had a betta in it after i found out about Diana walstad
>had various tetras
>now has some neon tetras and a honey gourami
>>
File: IMG_6062.jpg (1003 KB, 2290x1908)
1003 KB
1003 KB JPG
>>4780432
Nano Cucks could never understand the joy of a fish that actually loves you

Agreed piranhas suck tho

>>4780428
Women only have guppies, shrimp, pea puffers, gouramis, cories or bettas.

Sometimes you’ll meet a crazy one who’s into angelfish or catfish. But for the most part women have horrible taste in fish
>>
>>4780562
I'm relatively new in this hobby maybe about 3 year-ish now, just did a complete rehaul of my only tank few months ago so i guess i would consider that first iteration my "longest running" one
And thinking back, it was such a fucked up tank, almost nothing grows in it
I had a sand only on it so i only tried column feeder plants, java vern, anubias, cabomba, water sprite, vals all never survived for more than 6 months, only thing that survives are waterworts and anacharis but you can keep those mf in a jar of water and be fine
When i clean it up i had a suspicion that maybe it has something to do with the sand i use because it have such a pungent smell, kinda like a sea smell actually
Stock-wise it was pretty bad too, went over so many fish like 2 bettas, a couple of gouramis and some guppies all maybe last for a year at most

My rehaul is looking pretty good now though, i did it properly with some actual aquasoil this time, an anubias, some java vern, cabomba, some bacopa with 9 skirt tetras all seems to be doing pretty well
>>
Need some help.

I think my Cory Dora’s are dying one by one due to nitrate. I assume so, they’re becoming lethargic and close to unresponsive to stimuli. Which I’m guessing is nitrate levels. I try my best to do a water change once a week and get up as much shrimp shit as possible. Which is hard in the planted areas.
I have a decent filter and I use SeaChem prime as my conditioner. What can I do.
>>
>>4780610
Do a 90% water change immediately
>>
>>4780299
My Malawa shrimp won't breed for some reason, I've had 11ish in a healthy, planted, well fed aquarium (the snails are maxxxing), seen some sheds and saddled ladies, still no eggs.
>>
>>4780610
Test your water
>>
If money and space was not an issue for you, what kind of dream tank/project would you set up?

I would do a 150 gallon long. Walstead, heavily planted.First I would start a colony of Jade Shirmp, then I will put 100 male Baby Bettas in it. Once the bloodbath is done and the champion is crowned, his prize will be 172 Female baby Bettas. The project would be called Battle Royal. I would live stream the whole process. As in 24/7 multiple cameras that capture the action.Imagine the salt that would come from such an action.
>>
>>4780589
There's nothing wrong with any of the fish you listed
>>4780428
They just seem visually fairly boring and have above average requirements, the appeal comes from the violence factor which is almost exclusively appealing to men
>>
>>4780620
Bonnethead shark
>>
>>4780589
Macropodusinae have a ton of small, interactive, and decently intelligent fish
>>
>>4780610
What's the tank size and stocking? How long have you had the corys? What type?

Corys often do badly in a new tank, not sure if it's self-poisoning or just general weakness to novel pathogens. They can be sensitive to nitrates but not terribly so, unless you're regularly well over 20ppm I doubt that'd be driving mortality.

You have been feeding them, right?
>>
File: 1000012355.jpg (664 KB, 1920x1080)
664 KB
664 KB JPG
>>4780620
Freshwater Ray tank.
>>
>>4780630
6 Corys in a 26L tank. Had for maybe 2 months.

Yeah they’ve been eating a mixture of a couple of shrimp flakes and the normal flakes. Sometimes some blood worm usually once a week.
>>
>>4780640
Give them some sinking pellets, get catfish formula or pleco formula, and mix that in. Sounds like a malnutrition issue more likely than nitrates, unless you're seeing a ton of the latter in your tests. Definitely do some tests, to confirm you have adequate filtration (which is shown by zero ammonia or nitrites every single time you test). Depending on the exact species, you may also be keeping them in harder water than is "ideal" - anything you do that moves a fish away from its "norm" stresses the immune system somewhat, and weakened immune systems let the constant bombardment of pathogens existent in an aquarium take hold.

Are they Panda Corys? Because those niggas are made of glass IME, and could be losing to opportunistic infections due to mildly elevated nitrates + harder water than ideal. Cute breed but dysgenic as fuck.
>>
>>4780610
>I’m guessing is nitrate levels
What? You don't have any test strips or anything to test it with?
>>
File: IMG_6060.jpg (829 KB, 2125x2256)
829 KB
829 KB JPG
>>4780624
Woman Spotted
I can understand the appeal of certain cories (ie not emeralds pandas or Juli’s)

The catfish chicks are great, love me some pimelodae.

The only reason to keep any of the other animals is as a cash cow. My guppies and shrimp pay for my actually badass fish
>>
File: IMG_4496.jpg (2.02 MB, 4032x3024)
2.02 MB
2.02 MB JPG
>>4780629
For sure, it’s just a woman fish. My wife loves her honey gourami tank.
Small Cichlids are the true champion of the nano (sub 55gallon) tank.
>>
File: 20240424_135653.jpg (2.13 MB, 2268x2954)
2.13 MB
2.13 MB JPG
I named my Gouramis Pokaroo and Pokarette.

Pokaroo chases Pokarette sometimes. And Pokarette chases the rasboras.
>>
Well fug, my filter unit decided it doesnt want to work anymore, an 8 year old eheim pickup 160.
I have a backup working, keeping the tank water running. So no issue.

But now I have an excuse to get a new type of filter for my 33 gallon tank, I no longer want a big bulky block to steal space. What would anons recommend?
>>
>>4780837
Cannister is the alternative
>>
File: PXL_20240424_194246440~2.jpg (742 KB, 2985x1837)
742 KB
742 KB JPG
Didn't take any pictures before but I managed to stuff an aquarium coop nano sponge filter and upift tube into the internal sump of this marineland 5 gallon and got it working on air instead of that noisy pump.
Wood is being a bitch and still floating just a little so I'm waiting to add more plant cuttings from other tanks.
>>
>>4780837
I would try making a sump
>>
File: 1000001328.jpg (1.1 MB, 2400x1350)
1.1 MB
1.1 MB JPG
Can't tell if something is eating my amazon swords or they're struggling to get nutrients
>>
>>4780837
Take the no filter pill, you know you want to. Search your feelings, you know it to be true.
>>
>>4780837
Canister or sump
>>
>>4780932
Do you have any trouble with your pearl gouramis eating your neocaridina? I’m thinking of doing that same combination in my tank but I’m a bit worried as some people online have reported that the gouramis will even eat adult neos. If they just eat the fry I don’t care too much, I’m not looking to be a breeder or anything.
>>
So are pond lotus a bad idea to keep in an aquarium?
>>
>>4780932
Do you have a bristlenose pleco? In my experience they much on swords a lot.
>>4781044
I don't see why not. Just make sure you have enough substrate for it to root.
>>
Is 90 gallons aka 340 litres enough for four fancy goldfish?
>>
>>4781068
Yeah
>>
File: 1000001327.jpg (1.1 MB, 2400x1350)
1.1 MB
1.1 MB JPG
>>4781038
I'm sure a few have been picked off but there's still a healthy population.
>>4781050
Yeah, three juveniles. It's probably them. Ty, anon.
>>
>>4780714
They seem like fun little fish but it bothers me to not have anything swimming through the middle and top of the tank
>>
File: sea snake.jpg (786 KB, 2390x1115)
786 KB
786 KB JPG
Got my kuhlis. One of the bags broke in shipping and the poor little guy was stuck in the corner of the bag where there was still barely water. Hardy guy made it. They're less shy than I expected, already out and about exploring.
>>
>>4781226
No sand?
>>
>>4780932
Amazon sword is a really cool name
>>
Triops anon here. I am thinking of getting a little tank just to put on my desk, freshwater, 2-3L, lamp if needed with a filter, just to have something to take care of while I do my work.
Would hatching a couple of triops at a time work? What other animals that are low-maintenance would you recommend? I don't care about digging, I find it adorable that they do that.
>>
Just brought a $10 aud 70lt petworx tank from the landfill. No limescale, scratches or leaks but there's a chip small chip on the bottom corner.
Should I risk it?
>>
>>4781263
Some people here kept them in the past and I remember the main problem being their longevity and difficulty to breed.
>>4781309
If it doesnt leak it doesnt matter.
>>
File: 1609136261126.jpg (57 KB, 657x821)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
>>4780265
what kind of plants would you guys stick in a 5/10 gallon tank with a betta? i've been researching but the plants still have me stumped.
want it to be nice for the fish don't wanna go too crazy because of algae, unsure if will be feasible.
>>
>>4781379
floaters and column feeders
They're efficient nutrient suckers and are good to keep algae at bay
also not sure what you mean by >don't wanna go too crazy because of algae
Plants don't cause algae overfeeding does
>>
Hello /aq/ I have been setting up a 10 gallon native planted tank, and I wanted to get your opinion on stocking. Right now my idea is:
4-6 Chrosomus eos
3-4 Notropis volucellus
Wanted to keep things interesting while keeping smaller fish, but if things look hairy with compatibility then I might just do a species only tank with brook stickleback or just drop the native thing entirely. Really want to try keeping dace for once though. Also I'm not going to be collecting wild plants because I've had bad experiences with that in the past, and the only plants worth harvesting in my area are Eleocharis and milfoil.
>>
Think my assassin snails are being lazy. I don't see too many empty snail shells. Today go remove some spent almond leaf litter. Reveal the snail graveyard below. ...oh. Oh wow. They were putting in work there. Goddamn massacre under that one big leaf.
>>
Is thiaminase a spook?
My Texas Jaguar (Herichthys cyannoguttus × Parachromis managuensis) cichlid's eaten a couple of rosy red minnows that've been in his tank for a couple of weeks and he seems to be fine, but I don't want him getting sick.
What do you guys feed to your predatory cichlids? Should I just pool his food runs in with my bearded dragons and get him some crickets/superworms/hornworms every so often?
>>
>>4780610
>I use SeaChem prime as my conditioner
Shit, Anon, that might be your problem. I had a Corydoras paleatus (just one, I know they're schooling fish, but I was a kid) for years in my childhood tank, and he did just fine with only unfiltered well water. I don't mean to sound like a redneck or anything, but maybe the chemicals are fucking up your corys?
Get a test strip and post results, though, for sure. You don't know shit about your water chemistry until you test it.
>>
>>4781814
Usually not a lot of big fish people here, but I have pretty extensive experience with everything cichlid

No it is not. I’ve seen fish suffer from thiamise and it’s horrible. Only way to cure is vitamin B injection.

Live feeders every so often won’t do that to a fish, but as a staple it will, esp goldfish.

My preferred diet for my big cichlids
Staples: high quality pellet (nls, massivore, Ken’s meat wafer), and cut white fish, tilapia is cheapest

Weekly treats: worms, cut cocktail shrimp, ghost shrimp, krill, squid, and your bug feeders

Monthly treats: live feeder fish. Try and stay away from cyprinids other than livebearers if you can. I say monthly because it takes about a month to QT a new batch or grow out some mollies

Also show a pic of the little guy, I’m usually not a fan of hybrids, but henrichthys and parachromis are my second and third favorite genuses of animals. So he might look super cool.

What size tank are you keeping him in? Max size would be something that concerns me as I have seen 16”+ Texas and 20”+ Jags, that doesn’t take into account hybrid vigor or stunting tho.
>>
>>4781820
Don’t talk sickness into his head, I’ve used prime and tap water for even wild caught cortadoras duplicarus. It’s either his ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate. Or disease, which is common In cories
>>
Got some nerites for a buck each from an LFS but their shells are extremely damaged (not holes or cracks, just extensive pitting). They're still babies. Any hope?
>>
>>4781875
Yeah, keep them at high ph, decent kh and with a good nutrition and they might just make it.
>>
File: IMG_6094.jpg (2.43 MB, 4032x3024)
2.43 MB
2.43 MB JPG
Who else is loachpilled
>>
>>4782099
>he doesn't know
Talk to us in a year
>>
File: snails.jpg (511 KB, 1583x1057)
511 KB
511 KB JPG
This was legitimately terrifying, like out of a horror movie. I really felt bad for the pond snail, but I don't want my assassin snails to starve either. Can I just stick with pellets? Would that be enough?

I didn't know snails bleed red blood...
>>
>>4782148
The direct consequences of adding the nigger snails.
Snails are fren, not food.
>>
>>4780560
Shubunkins are just line bred comets that focused on color over finnage. Yeah they were mixed with some short bodied fancies but the genetic influence is relatively minimal. Shubunkins will end up at the same body size as a comet in most cases. Commons, shubunkins and comets do not have fundamentally different care requirements aside from very extreme finnage comets need bigger enclosures to display it appropriately and start to become more vulnerable to nipping and fin infections in a community setting.

There is so much autism around goldfish its just absurd. Dissuaded me from getting into them for so many years before discovering people are just retarded and trying to gatekeep people from getting into one of the best fish.
>>
>>4780620
Swimming pool with miscellaneous small fish.
>>
>>4782128
These niggas are 6 inches and 5 years old
>>
>>4782165
pond snails are the nigs, assassin snails are chads
>>
>>4780706
All the strips on Amazon are fake in Canada
>>
>>4782189
They are not. I have a budget jar of them bought directly from Amazon canada earlier this year. The readings are the same as my API master kit.
>>
File: life_is_beautiful.jpg (471 KB, 1080x808)
471 KB
471 KB JPG
My snail has a deformed tentacle and is infested with Chaetogaster limnaei. Life is beautiful.
>>
>>4782166
>one of the best fish
I liked reading your post anon, can you explain to me some of the reasons you think this to be true? Genuinely curious nanofag here.
>>
>>4782166
>fancy goldfish
>the best fish
the fish that have been the most crippled by man's interference with nature. I have no interest.
>>
>>4782221
Yeah, but who asked though?
>>
File: snail.png (1.2 MB, 2041x1859)
1.2 MB
1.2 MB PNG
>>4782211
looks like he has a face. Hang in there snailjpsm
>>
>>4782148
circle of life there, lad.
>>
>>4782235
Very cute! It's "eye" is actually one of the worms, which is kind of silly lol. I think they will be okay though because they aren't parasitic from what I've read.
>>
>>4782211
I misread this as deformed testicle, glad snailbro’s balls are fine
>>
Question: what is the point of water testing if the solution to any problem indicated from a test is prettty much always to just do a large water change? Why waste money on test kits? Because you want something that lets you off putting in work?
>>
>>4782148
Dang my assassin snails I barely see

My pest snails are ramshorn which they keep in check but haven't quite eliminated
>>
>>4782275
>Do I need to do a water change this week?
>Is the new tank ready for fish?
>A fish died or they seem to be having issues?

It's good to use one for a while when you set up a new tank so you can get an idea of how quickly your water gets fouled up at your current stocking levels.

Using it constantly for no reason like how some youtubers promote is retarded and a waste of money/time.
>>
>>4782166
Ive got a baby comet right now (didnt want a goldfish, spouse bought it), and it is growing on me. They have fun personalities. Little fish is kinda ugly though, very dull coloration, I hope it pretties up as it ages. The water is shockingly very good quality for now, probably because of wandering jew growing out of the filter, so Im debating getting another just so it isnt the only fish in the tub. Do you think a comet minds being solo?
>>
>>4782374
Mine completely destroyed my ramshorn, I had to bring some from outside my pond
>>
>>4782429
>Do I need to do a water change this week?
Yes, don't be lazy. Consistency maintains stability.
>Is the new tank ready for fish?
Wait 6 weeks from setup, have plenty of plants, ezpz.
>A fish died or they seem to be having issues?
Do a water change - if the fish gets better, it was the water, if it doesn't, it's something else.

Tests are a scam confirmed, wake up sheeple! Big-test is keeping you jacked into the matrix, break free, and get jacked from carrying full water buckets instead.
>>
File: IMG_6098.jpg (1.88 MB, 4032x3024)
1.88 MB
1.88 MB JPG
>>4782824
I’m going to get lab grade ICP tests done weekly now to spite brokies like you
>>
>>4782835
>brokies
Lmao I only buy ADA. Bet my moss alone costs more than all your tanks + content combined.
>>
File: IMG_7984.jpg (2.88 MB, 4032x3024)
2.88 MB
2.88 MB JPG
>>4782843
bought this tank new last week
>$99 CAD
dirt+sand+plants are basically free
>>
>>4782856
Nice, looks like shit. And you say you put all those savings into useless test kits? Got your priorities straight bro congratulations
>>
File: IMG_5978.jpg (2.11 MB, 4032x3024)
2.11 MB
2.11 MB JPG
>>4782843
>nano planted tanks
>expensive
Lmfao
Here’s actual proof I have a fish that costs more than a years worth of your rent. I’ve yet to see your “expensive” glass box
>>
>>4782443
How big of a tub? Goldfish do fine solo but also fine in small groups.

Remember to feed hella lightly. Goldfish are like tilapia where they'll grow as fast as they are fed, which is one reason they have a bad rep for being "dirty" - if you overfeed they'll eat it and turn it to shit and grow fast, rather than the food rotting on the substrate or being eaten by snails.
>>
>>4782863
Sorry not doxxing myself, my tanks have been published. Also that's not proof, post yourself fucking it or I don't believe you.
>>
File: IMG_5857.jpg (207 KB, 1170x945)
207 KB
207 KB JPG
>>4782869
Sure little buddy, have fun lying on the internet. I’ll see you in next issue of amazonas mag
>>
>>4782868
10ish gallons, I do have a 55 I need to clean and some tubs that are 20ish

Also, why is my mystery snail completely missing less than 24 hours after buying it? : (
>>
>>4782869
kys poorfag
>>
File: moorish-idol.jpg (54 KB, 960x601)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
Why are Moorish Idols so hard to keep alive in aquariums?
>>
>>4782148
I had assassin snails that would eat fish flakes that sank to the bottom
>>
>>4782961
I will keep my sanity, thanks.
>>
>>4782179
I kinda want to turn my swimming pool into that but the woman doesn’t allow it
>>
>>4782862
>>4782869
>>4782895
>>4782961
lol
>>
File: shimp.jpg (585 KB, 1080x798)
585 KB
585 KB JPG
Why would anybody buy ghost shrimp when you can get them from the creek for free?
>>
File: midgradeeconomyshrimp.jpg (99 KB, 780x780)
99 KB
99 KB JPG
Update on my cherry shrimp. I added six of them last month to a 20g community of black neons, corys, couple honey gouramis. Theory was they would PROBABLY be okay in this group and PROBABLY NOT be eaten due to size. Theory correct. They're fine. Not shy either. I just caught one apparently schooling with my black neons for a couple minutes before it fucked off to go pick at the good log some more.
>>
>>4782275
For freshwater that is often true, but for saltwater it is just as often not.

Also, if you are already doing water changes regularly and something is still wrong, what are you going to do? Oh right, test the water and observe your livestock.

>>4782835
Obviously a facetious post, but I think it still bears mentioning that a super common misconception is that hobby-grade ICP is bullet proof accurate. There is no hobby-grade testing facility that even gives you a confidence interval for their tests. Several people have sent in identical water samples to several of these companies and have come up with a pretty wide set of results. If you have pretty good test gear and practice good lab technique, you will often be able to get more consistent results than ICP, whether it be OES or MS. ICP does give limited insight on trends, especially for things we have difficulty testing at home though.
>>
My fish have become entirely too tame. I stick tongs and scissors and sometimes my whole arm in, fish are right up front thoroughly investigating all of this. I have to be careful with the scissors as i do not trust the curious georges not to swim directly between the jaws as i am about to snip.
>>
anyone here ever kept crayfish? would it be cruel to keep them in a 6 gal?
looking to keep the full size one not the dwarf
>>
>>4783452
Crayfish we eat? I kept one as a child. Probably not a great idea because they can get surprisingly large. Inverts aren't like fish where fish so they can do quite well with much less space, but common crayfish really do get much larger than people expect. It's just that we don't harvest ones those size.
>>
>>4782996
>>4782869
Is this Dickens??? I thought he got banned after throwing a shitfit in the reef tank general (aka the shithole general).
>i am afraid the 4chan hacker is going to find me
If it's not Dickens, then we have another moron tanklet on this board.
>>
>>4782916
Yeah, I would move that comet to the 55gal once it grows a bit.
My sister had one (won it at a fair - typical) and it outgrew its tank pretty quickly.
>>
>>4783418
Well my clownfish try to get into the container I use to thaw their mysis shrimp.
Like, I try to get some water from the tank, and they're like those boomers when Countryhouse Buffet opens for dinner.
>>
>>4783512
Yeah i'm looking to get a blue crayfish, i've always thought they look pretty gnarly
but sadly i've only had a 6 gal lying around currently
>>
>>4783452
That's really too small, crayfish are destructive and get big. You'd need an oversized filter to keep ammonia at bay and do very frequent water changes, and expect the crayfish to kill any plants you try to add.

The crayfish wouldn't be "unhappy", imo, it just isn't an environment that would be easy to maintain.
>>
File: IMG_20240427_101631.jpg (2.64 MB, 4000x3000)
2.64 MB
2.64 MB JPG
any idea what is wrong? it is bloated below the head and there is something coming out, maybe parasites?

its behavior and appetite has not changed, other fishes, shrimps and snail are fine, I do water changes weekly about 20% to 30%
>>
>>4783526
what’s wrong with reef tanks
>>
>>4783573
Nothing wrong with reef tanks, I have one myself. It's just the reef tank general that's a shithole.
Barely anyone posting, and when they do post it's either someone whining about dinos or some ChatGPT copy-paste of some idiot jerking himself off with how smart he is.
This general is much better and more wholesome.
>>
>>4783543
Ah okay, though i'd thought that crayfish would have a low bioload actually since they don't eat a lot and is pretty reclusive
>>
>>4780589
Kill yourself retard
>>
>>4780589
Monsterfish owners when they see uneaten shit on the floor
>>
>>4783526
I'll take him over that niggerfaggot Flanders any day.
>>
Only just realising nano fish are a meme. Every random gourami is an individual with some character meanwhile you need a million tetras to see any remotely interesting schooling behaviour. Keeping 6-12 nano fish is such a waste of time and tankspace.
>>
File: PXL_20240427_173549167~2.jpg (1.4 MB, 1921x2930)
1.4 MB
1.4 MB JPG
Finally got something in the tank, tossed in a bunch of rough looking cuttings to see what decides to survive and my last remaining whitecloud so it stays cycled.
Still playing with the angle of the light too, but I like how the tanks has light and shaded areas.
>>
>>4783660
I want to own these so badly one day
>>
>>4780265
Has anyone ever had success using volcanic rock gravel as substrate in a planted tank? Have you used just volcanic rock? Or have you used it as a buffer between the dirt layer and the water column?
>>
File: PXL_20240427_175643342~2.jpg (1.44 MB, 3043x1837)
1.44 MB
1.44 MB JPG
>>4783669
Hell yeah
I'm using an undergravel filter with just crushed lava rock and dose ferts into the water column.
It's not going to be the best for val or swords but stem plants have no problem. Usually when I pull entire plants out they have their roots stuck into the rocks themselves to hold on better.
>>
>>4783666
Vertical tanks are underrated. I like the narrow light shaft though, looks like a cave or some shit. Looking good.
>>
>>4783674
I see, do you think that kind of setup could work with a HOB filter or a sponge filter?
>>
>>4780265
What are the most noob-proof plants for a starter planted aquarium?
>>
>>4783690
As long as you're going mostly stem plants you will be good with anything.
Maybe add some root tabs every so often if you want shorter plants in front like crypts.
>>
Anyone know a good site to buy some live daphnia from? None of the local fish stores have any and I don't trust the local creek water.
I got a pair of bumblebee gobies that won't eat regular fish food and a scarlet badis that'll only eat live, moving food or vibra bites. I've also got baby platies and endlers that like some small live foods as well.
>>
>>4783696
Pearlweed
Moss
Cabomba
Anubias
Hornwort
Guppy grass
Vallisneria
Crypt Wendtii

Honestly, if you're Casspilled, just pick anything from here. Glass Grown is one of the few companies I'll unironically shill for:

https://glassgrown.com/collections/low-light-plants
>>
>>4780265
what would be a good number of serpae tetras for a 40 breeder size tank, leaving some room for a handful of filler fish
>>
>>4783696
all of this >>4783707 and consider adding a species of floating plant right off as they really helps stabilize things in a new tank.
>>
>>4783641
npc fish are useful. They are called dither fish for good reason. I tend to follow the sitcom casting approach to tank stocking:
the main characters (any somewhat more intelligent fish)
the supporting cast and comic relief (corys and plecos, shrimp and snails)
the extras (schooling fish)
>>
File: IMG_1375.jpg (782 KB, 1894x2024)
782 KB
782 KB JPG
>>4780265
Got some of these, probably been sitting in the nook tank of the fish store for awhile
>>
>>4783744
Darter tetras?
They're cool but the american native ones seem to have better colors
>>
Will my fancy goldfish eat White Cloud Mountain Minnows? I have two in a tank with four fancy goldfish and the goldfish are ignoring them
>>
>>4783746
those are pretty but I’d want a biotope tank for those, silty rocky. This is just a family display tank in my living room
>>
>>4783641
Barbs are the answer, my friend. Small, schooling, and full of personality. My Odessa Barbs react to outside stimulus just like cichlids would.
>>
I have a 90 gallon tank and I have four fancy goldfish and six cloud mountain minnows. Have I hit the limit?
>>
>>4783752
No but it's dependent on your filtration more than volume at that point. You could fit over a dozen goldfish in a 90g, or you could ammonia poison a single one.

The minnows aren't worth noting at that size of tank. A full sized fancy goldfish would produce more bioload than twenty white clouds, so just throw however many you want of those in.
>>
>>4783756
Will my fancy goldfish eat my white cloud minnows? The guy at the pet store said they don't eat them and I bought a black moor goldfish and four minnows and he ate two of them while they were in the bag together.
>>
>>4783758
the other post had a typo, it was two minnows not six because the black moor ate two minnows in the bag going home
>>
File: some_mexican.png (571 KB, 719x960)
571 KB
571 KB PNG
>>4783696
>what is the best noob-proof plant?
>it's the duckweed
>if i just started an aquarium, i add duckweed
>if it's an established aquarium? believe it or not, i also add duckweed
>if the aquarium is overstocked and i need something to take care of all the nutrients, i add duckweed
>if the aquarium is understocked and i want spaces for fry to hide and survive, i add duckweed
>overstocked... understocked...
>if i don't have any money and need plants that i can get for free, i get duckweed
>if i have a lot of money and buy expensive plants, the cute petco chick will throw in some free duckweed
>i have the best aquariums on this hungarian goat-fucking forum... because of duckweed
>>
>>4783758
In an aquarium they'll basically never have the opportunity. Goldfish will taste anything they can reach to see if it's good to eat, but they're not predators and moors won't be able to get close enough to a white cloud for a chance at a bite.
>>
File: IMG_0475-min.jpg (2.67 MB, 6000x4000)
2.67 MB
2.67 MB JPG
>>4783744
God tier fish
>>4783746
American darters can't really handle tropical temps. I really reccomend catching some of them and setting up a coldwater darter tank someday. I go out of state to find species I like. They are very easy to set up a tank for. Just collect stream gravel and stones, and get a 20 long or bigger with a powerhead. I keep my darters with rhinogobius zhoui gobies
>>
>>4783704
I just buy live daphnia from Amazon. Especially now since it's warm, you won't have any trouble with it not surviving the trip.
>>
>>4783768
I only have one moor, the other three are fantail fancy goldfish
>>
>>4783738
>sitcom casting approach
>plecos as comic relief
The pleco should be the ugly character that nobody likes (think Lip from Shameless), but they keep him around for some weird reason.
>>
File: IMG_1378.jpg (403 KB, 926x410)
403 KB
403 KB JPG
>>4783770
immediately starts attacking snails, based behavior
>>
>>4783768
sorry for all the questions but is there a risk of minnows getting eaten during feeding time?
>>
>>4783778
Yes but a small risk, they're not actively going to try to eat the minnows, more "I'm biting this direction, anything that gets in my mouth is food".

I recommend zebra danios instead, regardless. Faster and more active fish, no more likely to get eaten. Go break a 20 and get a dozen of them and give it a shot. Any schooling fish is going to be very shy or stressed at single digit numbers.
>>
>>4783770
Fantail darters are kino! I used to keep them with longnose/blacknose dace and sculpin. They like to hide a lot though which was always a downside, but still great fish.
>>
File: ff_laughing.png (406 KB, 950x494)
406 KB
406 KB PNG
>>4782824
>he does weekly water changes
>>
File: IMG_4035.jpg (106 KB, 624x404)
106 KB
106 KB JPG
>>4783628
>>4783634
Seething nano keepers when someone enjoys fish that is actually interesting and not a betta or 500 little shrimps

>>4783660
Another fella of culture I see, wish these guys wouldn’t rip off the scales of my bigger fish or I would do a school of them rather than erythrinus erythrinus is my 300 to fill my predatory characin craving.

>>4783744
Very cool little fish, spawned mine a few times but never was able to raise any fry. Got rid of them when I moved last.

>>4783746
>>4783770
One of the few Nano fish that has personally.

Also based rhinogobius keeper. Where did you get yours from? I want a group but feel a little squeamish as many retailers I see that have them keep them in tropical systems with tropical fish. Seems like arecipie for disease.
>>
File: IMG_0729-min.jpg (1.54 MB, 6000x4000)
1.54 MB
1.54 MB JPG
>>4783780
Yeah I love fantails. Remind me of teleocichla (aka darter pike cichlids). They do hide a lot overall, but in the year or so I have kept them they have gotten more comfortable with me. I tried sculpins, specifically cottus cognathus because those are the only ones in my state, and they all died when summer hit, presumably from the heat. I am looking foward to finding some more heat tolerant species when I go on a collecting trip this summer. I have my darters with blacknose dace. I can't really find any longnose in my state though, even though they are apparently native in small areas.
>>4783785
I got my rhinogobius from an old fish store guy who operates out of his house. He's been frequently getting in rhinogobius giurnus and zhoui so i've been buying from him. He kept them tropical and I keep the giurnus in tropical tanks, but the zhoui are in my temprate tank.
>>
>>4783794
Yeah, sculpins need cold water and a lot of dissolved oxygen. I remember keeping my mottled sculpin at around 67 degrees, which was still pushing it compared to the coldwater creeks that I'd get them from. If you're looking for more heat tolerant species, fish like Umbra limi are basically bulletproof. Probably one of the hardiest fish I've ever kept. Others like tadpole madtoms and Johnny darters are also really good.
>>
File: IMG_0439.jpg (2.02 MB, 2850x2918)
2.02 MB
2.02 MB JPG
>>4783794
Im in the Ozarks, so a lot of diversity in natives. Working on a fish room right now so hopefully will have a few native tanks in it. Darters would be cheifest. Pic related is the Ozark longear sunfish I caught. think they should be a different species than the normal longear. But another I want to have a tank for

And darn it on the fact it’s a local guy. Do you know if he ships?
>>
File: jpg.jpg (12 KB, 244x206)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
am I the only one who finds derpa designs kinda.. derpy?

the guy is extremelly skilled but I just don't find it pleasant

I'm looking for riparium inspiration that looks less bloated and chaotic, if you have any channels to suggest
>>
>>4783452
>>4783512
what about raising crayfish to eat? Are they hard to do?
>>
File: premiumturkeybaster.jpg (140 KB, 1300x1000)
140 KB
140 KB JPG
Post useful aquarium things you don't buy at fish shop.

I was doing a variety of tank maintenance things today and it occurred to me I use the turkey baster a lot. Purpose is to suck things that don't need the full gravel vac treatment. My primary use for the baster, above several secondary uses, is to vac out the reservoir of my HOB filters without having to take them off the tanks and dump them in the sink.
>>
>>4783858
Well, raising one wasn't. They're scavengers so they'll eat whatever. I was a literal child then and I did it. Raising a whole lot? I dunno. Probably just a matter of budget vs. scale.

>>4783537
Well blue crayfish I believe top out at only like 4".
>>
>>4783526
I'm out of the loop. Who's Dickens?

>>4783832
Insanely derpy. But yeah the dude is really good at what he does.

>>4783889
Bucket Head shop vac. It's amazing at cleaning out sumps or my quarantine tank which I've had on the floor at times.
>>
I mentioned to my gf that I wanted a pet, and since she's allergic to cats, I wanted a saltwater tank. Given my capacity to wildly overdo things, she bought me a 20 gallon freshwater kit.

I've never kept an aquarium before, but I keep coming back to a turtle. Are there any turtles I can keep in a tank that small for 2 years? After that I should be able to upgrade.
>>
File: IMG_0900.jpg (1.21 MB, 1179x1487)
1.21 MB
1.21 MB JPG
>>4783927
you sound like my gf
>>
>>4783452
I've kept crayfish in a 10 gallon, but the tank was just for the crayfish. Nothing else. They don't really need the space because they usually just end up digging a hole and sticking there.
Honestly though, 6 gallons isn't enough, and a single crayfish isn't really rewarding. You're better off repurposing the tank for a scud culture or something.
>>
>>4783927
>Are there any turtles I can keep in a tank that small for 2 years?
Nope. I'd say one year max for juvenile map turtle. Ballpark this at 10 gallons per inch of turtle. Yes I'm serious. However you could use the 20g as a filter sump for your turtle's actual tank/tub.
>>
>>4783927
No. Get a 40 breeder and a musk turtle. Do at least 3 months of reasearch 1-2 hours a day before you get anything
>>
>>4783934
>>4783935
Damn. Turtles were one of the only freshwater thing that immediately appealed to me.
>>
>>4783942
If you don't like fish aquariums probably aren't your thing. What appeals to you about turtles?
If you like crabs you could make a paludarium and do fiddler or vampire crabs, or go back to salt and do hermit crabs or emerald crabs.
>>
>>4783946
It's not that I don't like fish, but I'm not familiar with the varieties in freshwater. I'm okay with having fish if I can't do turtles.
>>
>>4783948
Just because the tank is part of a freshwater kit doesn't mean you can't do a saltwater setup with it. A couple extra pieces of equipment are needed is all.
>>
>>4783927
20G is a fine starting tank for freshwater fish. Not so great for turtles. Google freshwater nano fish. You'll see a lot of options.
>>
>>4783942
Watch tanks 4 nuthin's videos on Youtube. There are only three of them and I think it'll change your mind about fish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woSFGeMpoxI
>>
are there any plants fancy goldfish won't eat? I've put plants in before and they devour them.
>>
File: 1711302899213135.jpg (40 KB, 400x400)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>4783951
One of her concerns was not overloading the circuits in our apartment. It's a 30's house and doesn't have a single grounding plug. I've been looking at freshwater stuff, and it seems that I can keep quite a bit of stuff near ambient temps, unlike the saltwater stuff.
>>4783952
I'll write off turtles for now, crabs might be interesting but I'll take a look into those too. I'd love to do plants but not plants only.

>we don't even have a house yet
When I do buy a house, I'm going full retard into saltwater, though
>>
>>4783955
Supposedly most goldfish don't like to eat crinum but if yours already have a habit of eating plants it might not work as well.
Maybe find a way to cage off some pothos roots and grow that above the tank?
>>
>>4783957
White cloud mountain minnows or Medaka rice fish will both be great options in an unheated tank if you want more research material.
>>
>>4783960
I'll check it out
>>
>>4783832
>derpa designs
Intentional or typo?
>>
>>4783767
>the cute petco chick
jej
>>
>>4784012
fish shop dude's most recent employee is a little unsettling. teenage girl with a septum piercing. she puts really large jewelry in the piercing. i don't like it. it looks stupid.
>>
>>4783832
Hate that guy. Soiboy, and his stuff looks like shit because he uses consumer grade garbage. Dart frog guys and Chinese vicarious channels have the best Inspi. Yes am dribking
>>
File: 1706811836575230.png (534 KB, 900x903)
534 KB
534 KB PNG
>Trying to fishless cycle my first aquarium with a bit of food per day.
>Been adding food every day for about a week
>Every time I test it it reads as no ammonia and no nitrite/nitrates

Shouldn't there be some noticeable rise in ammonia by now?

Its a 10g with monte carlo as the only plant. The monte carlo is doing well but idk if its absorbing nutrients as they're created or if I just need to wait longer.
>>
>>4784048
>Shouldn't there be some noticeable rise in ammonia by now?
No, give it more time. Most often the way this goes is you get a bacterial bloom around two or three weeks in, water goes white cloudy, a week after that you see ammonia show in your tests, then some time after that you get nitrite and nitrate. On a fishless cycle brand new filter/tank I always suggest to budget a minimum of 6 weeks before you're getting good consistent results from your tests. You can put in snails around 3 or 4 weeks even if there is ammonia. Please resist the urge to do anything different. Just keep at it, ghost feed the same amount, let it do its thing. And don't freak out about the bactierial bloom if it happens. Don't go putting in water clarifier or doing a water change. Neither are necessary and neither will stop it anyway.
>>
File: IMG_1385.jpg (1.15 MB, 1031x1492)
1.15 MB
1.15 MB JPG
>>4780265
autistic af
>>
>>4784048
>Its a 10g with monte carlo as the only plant.
What's your light? No CO2, right?
In optimal conditions that plant can assimilate loads of nitrates. You can tell by its explosive growth. If not, it's probably just shit fermenting in your water. You can try dosing bacteria. In my experience, seachem stability is bad but niteout+special bland is bacteria on crack.
>>
>>4784048
Ghost feeding is always hit and miss, best option is always to mix in aqua soil to your substrate for ammonia leeching.
>>
>>4784010
I was taking anti SEO to the next level
>>
>>4784024
>Dart frog guys and Chinese vicarious channels
who? I'm just starting this hobby I don't know who's who

pretty funny how I was watching that aquatic ferret channel and suddenly they're trying to shill me fucking ants mobile games and begging for money in the subtitles what the fuck

I know that being a content creator is fucked, youtube just shits in your mouth every week, still..
>>
>>4784012
I noticed that Petco only requires their employees to wear a T-shirt with their colors and logo; so they can choose whatever pants they want, unlike PetSmart where they have to wear those khakis. There's one girl there always wearing these tight pants, when she climbs on the ladder and bends over to take things out of the aquarium it's hard not to stare. Makes me want to buy a bunch of snails from Petco, even though I never buy living things from them.
>>
Obviously being able to do DIY tanks at all is impressive but if I got a tank with serpa's silicone finish I'd send it back.
>>
>>4784024
>Soiboy
he did most of the renovations on his house by himself, you know that right? he's also not skinnyfat, doesn't have one of those scraggly beards, and isn't balding.
>he uses consumer grade garbage
he also uses stuff that the average guy can afford.
>Chinese
please don't shill. tanner is a Christian guy who has a wife - don't put him in the same bucket as chinese youtubers.
>>
>>4783832
I like SerpaDesign because he relies on plants and aquascaping for filtration and to avoid water changes.
It annoys everyone who thinks you need a filter, and you need to do weekly water changes, and blah blah blah...
>>
File: hjghj.jpg (134 KB, 747x521)
134 KB
134 KB JPG
I bought a bunch of pumice rock and I'm going to glue various mosses on them and make floating rocks to make a few bucks off my tanks. Do you think they will sell well?
>>
>>4784226
I just have a hunch every norm is going to want some "avatar rocks" when they see them ready made with real mosses.
>>
>>4784211
He has a pump with filter sponge on pretty much everything he does and his maintenance vids he talks about weekly water changes though?
>>
I'm ready to start setting up my filterless, dirted tank, it's just going to be 6 gallons or so. Is there a consensus on how important it is to have a thick sand layer to get anaerobic conditions in the soil? Father Fish says plant roots can only take up nutrients under those conditions but I'm not sure if that's really true.
I plan to use amazon swords and then also some java ferns to plant it.
>>
>>4783954
>4 minutes in
>mentions anaerobic bacteria completing the nitrogen cycle
this hobby is beyond cursed
>>
Can Bettas ever recover from lying on the bottom motionless? I have never seen this because he isn't outwardly displaying any disease. It's like he was fine and then just sank. His eyes are clear, he looks around and looks at me but it's like he can't move more than a few inches a day. Could it be neurological? Should I go ahead and put him down?
>>
>>4784236
Father fish doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground bro

The world is full of absolutely sure about everything retards
>>
>>4783552
You overfed the fuck out of your fish and it's constipated. Fast him for at least 3 days

This one is an IQ test btw
>>
>>4784236
>Father Fish says plant roots can only take up nutrients under those conditions but I'm not sure if that's really true.

It's the exact opposite. Plant roots require oxygen like every other part of a plant for life. Anoxia = dead roots, dead roots = 0 nutrient absorption. It's not important since aquatic plants will absorb nutrients through their entire surface area anyway.
>>
took the planted tank pill and decided to set up one with Co2 injection in a 20g
intending to have loads of red plants (rotala blood reds, ludwigia super reds etc)
any recommendations on stocking? can't decide what colours of fish will fit the plants well
>>
>>4783785
You're a vore fetishist.
>>
>>4784184
https://m.youtube.com/@biotopegallery1130
My favorite paludarium, riparium, and vivarium guys.

https://m.youtube.com/@TroyGoldberg
The dart frog guy I really like. His designs are top notch even though most of them don’t have an aquatic feature.

>>4784203
I don’t like his voice, his renovations are decent, but he complained about it in like 4 videos, and he is the literal definition of skinny fat. He also always has a dead look behind his eyes so he never really feels genuine.
I mainly don’t like his designs, but all those other factors make him hard for me to watch.

Sorry about the incoherent mess last night gentlemen. Hope this is more helpful
>>
File: redditscape.jpg (39 KB, 374x234)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>>
>>4784304
>literal definition of skinny fat
How is he skinny fat? Where is the belly in this case? Btw, he recorded himself going for a run in the forest behind his backyard.
>Goldberg
Now you're just trolling.
>>
>>4784093
I got a couple Asta 20's and a citric acid/baking soda diy set up. Seems a lot more reliable for a bio reactor than yeast.

The plants are doing great. I'm getting a lot of tight new growth and its almost all horizontal instead of vertical besides a few shaded spots.

>>4784119
Using bio stratum as my substrate which says it has dormant bacteria in it but I don't really trust that since it doesn't leech ammonia like an ADA soil to actually start the process.

>>4784059
I'm fine with waiting, just surprised that I haven't seen any real change in testing so far. The water's stayed clear but like I said the monte carlo's doing great and there's been a bit of algae growth on some rocks so things are happening but nothing massive.
>>
>>4784274
This guy took a turn for the worse in the last 5 hours or so. Preparing to remove and euthanize him I realized the water was ice cold. I left his heater off while changing the water earlier in the week.

This is the most I ever cried over a fish. Careless.

RIP Sukuna. I have never seen a fish turn south like him. One day he was fine the next seemingly dying with no injuries or visible disease. Parameters were perfect. I wonder about cancer and stuff. First koi type I have lost.
>>
>>4784380
Damn i was about to say that bettas sometimes sleep weird like they're dead
I'm sorry anon, he was really beautiful
>>
>>4784385
In trying to treat him earlier this week I gave him tc tetracycline which was expired and I didn't think it mattered. Apparently TETRACYCLINE IS THE ONLY MEDICINE THAT EXISTS OF ANY KIND WHICH DIRECTLY TURNS TO TOXIC COMPOUNDS WHEN ITS OLD. this is now sold as api fin and body cure.

I poisoned him through ignorance and then chilled him through carelessness. I feel so bad. He was already ailing badly from something unknown. That good picture was taken just a month or so ago.

I said a prayer for him that he be reborn in a life where he can use all the energy he had..fuck....stupid fuckin mistakes.
>>
>>4784392
Please tell other hobbyists about expired tetracycline anons. Sukuna died so others may live. I went and bought kanaplex now. I try to use medicines so rarely and the one time I do I fuck up.
>>
File: IMG_5854.jpg (222 KB, 1170x767)
222 KB
222 KB JPG
>>4784297
I don’t feed live food other than worms but ok. Maybe you should preach in the herp thread.

>>4784330
Yes he’s a ((())) but he makes better stuff than serpa.
>>
>>4784295
Pair of apistos, group of corys or otos, school of something colorful. You can't go wrong with this combination in a 20g. Anything red or blue looks good in a heavily planted tank.
>>
>>4784184
>I was watching that aquatic ferret channel
Mink man?
>>
>>4784308
Super Freaking… what?
>>
> Want to add neocaridina shrimp to 20 gallon community tank
> Realize that fish will eat shrimp fry so getting a colony going would be tough, but decide to give it a shot since my tank is fairly heavily planted
> Make an initial purchase of four shrimp to add to the tank to make sure they can survive ok (if they live I can add more)
> Drip acclimate, then add them to the 20 gallon tank
> One immediately books it and hides somewhere
> One finds a spot inside a porcelain terrain piece and chills
> The other two start walking around looking for food, stopping to eat algae for a while
> The next day see two of them chilling near the back eating and then chilling
> Don't see them after this
> Realize how retarded I am

My guess is that they either died and were eaten by fish/snails, they're hiding out, or they're literally just too fuckin' small to see. I have a spare empty 10 gallon tank, would it make sense to set that up as a shrimp only tank, drop a decent amount in, wait until they start breeding, and then transfer them to the larger tank once they are just barely large enough to no longer register as food to the other fish? I am limiting myself to one tank at a time, but in this instance I am willing to make an exception for a while.

My goal is to get to the point where I can add enough shrimp to the 20 gallon tank that they can keep a colony going, but I don't want to spend an assload of money on shrimp up front. Does this make sense or is it retarded?
>>
>>4784502
How long has it been, what size were the shrimp when you added them and what kind of fish are in the tank? Most likely they are alive and only coming out after the lights are off. I did the same thing, same size tank, and didn't see the shrimp at all for a month after I added them. Then slowly they became more brave. Now they are out zipping around all the time.
>>
>>4784432
Mink man is white, I think he's talking about Ferret Wonderland.
Speaking of Mink man, I lost all respect for him when he got that Raptor lizard and didn't keep her as a pet.
>>
>>4784510
>How long has it been, what size were the shrimp when you added them and what kind of fish are in the tank?
Irrelevant
>>4784502
>set up separate 10 gallon tank
Yeah, do that. A shrimp tank is basically zero maintenance: no heater, no filter, just have some plants. Add some steamed veggies and top off your water once a month. That's literally it.
>>
Im making a riparium with 0 aquatic plants. I'll only use a light and thats it. Shrimps, snails and like 10 small sized fish.

If I have to leave for a week or two is there a way for them to survive without leaving them any food? Will they have enough algae to eat? Yeah I will add vacation tabs, just curious if theres natural ways to provide extra food even if only for safety reasons.
>>
>>4784575
I've gone a week without feeding with zero issues, but for two weeks you may as well just buy a really cheap autofeeder for peace of mind.
>>
>>4784575
for one week they're all gonna be fine. for two weeks, i've successfully left my endlers with no food, but they always peck at algae - if you have lights but no plants, i imagine you'll have plenty of algae, so... yea, you should be okay?
why don't you want plants though? they make everything better.
>>
>>4783957
>I'm going full retard into saltwater, though
I mean that's really the only way to do it.
>>
>>4784295
I've done a mostly red plant tank with CO2. A few things to keep in mind:
1) Even with CO2, the rate at which your plants grow will vary wildly, so don't assume a certain section will be filled in with the plant you want before a neighboring plant creeps in or one part of your tank looks full and another side looks like shit.
2) Reds can vary wildly. Some might be more brown. Some might be pink. 99.9999999% of freshwater pictures you see online are bullshit photoshop jobs with saturation turned up 1000%, so don't expect the plants you're hand picking to look exactly like what is advertised. Green is often green, but red is often not really that red.
3) Some things I thought would contrast well didn't. Like yellow shrimp and a red plant tank actually wasn't that great. Crystal reds actually looked surprisingly nice. High grade ones with lots of white really stood out. Blue worked okay but not as well as I expected, as their natural darkness also meant that any shadows hid them well.
4) CO2 doesn't automatically mean everything will go fine. You still have to have balanced NPK for instance. You can't automatically assume you can blast PAR. You most certainly can create an algae farm even with CO2.

Anyway, good luck, it's pretty fun.
>>
>>4784586
I don't like how much maintenance and balance they require to look pretty. Only takes a fish to fart a little harder and they get yellow or bad leaves. I'll just add a lot of hybrid plants for the filtration.
>>
>>4784590
someone gave me a Rotala cutting and it was growing legit hot magenta, too bright for my tastes
>>
god i want sea horses so badly
>>
>>4784510
> About a week
> Nearly full grown (too big to be eaten or sucked into the filter intake)
> Neon Tetras and a Bristlenose Pleco

Mostly I'm just realizing how dumb it was to only add 4 when that few will probably be impossible to spot, meaning I won't know if they're alive or not. I should have gotten like 20-30, the problem is I didn't want to spend that much on shrimp (and the store didn't have that many anyway).

>>4784572
That seems like the plan, yeah.

The part that chaps my ass is my neighbor has a 10 gallon tank and she picked up 5 neos to add to the one that was already in her tank - hers are all sitting on top of the plants, clearly visible, just chilling. We bought them from the same store at the exact same time, but hers are way more visible/sociable for some reason. She has way more fish than I do (mostly guppies and neons) and fewer places to hide, but her shrimp dgaf.
>>
>>4784623
4 is a small number to get a breeding colony going but even so you will start seeing them more in a few weeks and they will breed. Some of the babies will survive. Don't need 20-30 to start a breeding colony.
>>
>>4782971
From what I heard on some talk about “impossible fish” on YouTube by the head aquarist of CalAcademy, he found that moorish idols can do well on prepared foods, so it isn’t a nutrition issue. The moorish idols are so fearful of other more aggressive fish like tangs, being housed with in the same tank leaves the moorish idols in a constant state of stress, reducing their desire to feed. He was able to keep them alive in smaller tanks with peaceful fish, where the idol was allowed to be king of the tank, but whenever they would add an idol to one of the big displays at the facility, they would always eventually disappear.
>>
>>4784623
I started with 6 shrimp and I had at least 40 after 4 months
>>
File: fishkuna.jpg (1.17 MB, 4032x3024)
1.17 MB
1.17 MB JPG
>>4784380
If it makes you feel any better I also have a betta named sukuna (on account of his double eye, visible if you zoom in)
So you could say his spirit will carry on in the world
>>
>>4784717
Dude that's awesome. Go lil Sukuna. Mine had the same type of thing. Markings change a lot. Named him for the same reason
>>
File: plants.jpg (887 KB, 1080x808)
887 KB
887 KB JPG
Crits on my plant placement? So far it's Rotala rotundifolia, Rotala nanjenshan, and Myriophyllum elatinoides. I wanna make sure the placement isn't too close because it's still a new tank
>>
>>4784782
>I wanna make sure the placement isn't too close
Looks fine. Shouldn't be an issue.
>>
>>4784621
So get them
>>
I am attempting to breed some otocinclus when I tear down this old set up. I have pygmy corydoras currently breeding, and I have read that otocinclus like breeding around corydoras. Will moving some of the pygmy corys water, theoretically containing their pheromones, in to my oto tank be enough, or should I just move both to the same tank?
Both breeding tanks will run concurrent to each other, so if it works I'll hopefully have plenty of catfish soon enough.
>>
>>4784812
Based catfish enthusiast.

What would you recommend for a 20 gallon all-catfish, all-the-time tank?
>>
>>4784812
>Will moving some of the pygmy corys water, theoretically containing their pheromones, in to my oto tank be enough
Idk why don't you just try it? Is the exchange of water gonna be that detrimental that you can't experiment?
>>
>>4784817
I prefer species only tanks which ruins the fun of your question, but 50+ pygmy corys in a 20gal is literally why I started breeding them, fuck paying for them lmao.
20g is a lil small for anything bigger, a royal whiptail and some glass cats would be kino in a bigger tank though. Hoplos are cool too.

>>4784858
I will try it, just got sand living rent free in my head. I was planning a bare glass bottom for the otto tank for algae and biofilm growth. I don't want to fuck around adding sand for some corys to play in after the fact. Fucking sand.
I will see if the sex water works, any other tips would be appreciated, especially for growing excess biofilm or edible algaes for them.
>>
File: Otto_Icon.png (107 KB, 360x341)
107 KB
107 KB PNG
>>4784877
>Otto
Oto* kms
>>
I have a co2 diffuser with a hole in the ceramic plate (the white thing that drips out co2 bubbles). Can I diy fix that better than just gluing or siliconing the hole?
>>
>duckweed is waterborne aids
>frogbit has insane roots that dominate tanks
>water lettuce is way too big
What floating plants alternatives are there? Red root floaters and Salvinia?
>>
File: fgfdg.jpg (675 KB, 1280x1617)
675 KB
675 KB JPG
What are these little white pills that came with the co2 diffuser?
>>
how to set a sponge filter?
>>
>>4785018
I crushed and sniffed one and now bubbles are coming out of my nose and it hurts
>>
>>4784992
>implies duckweed is somehow bad
>hasn't watched Floo the Flowerhorn for some beautiful aquarium setups with duckweed
>hasn't watched SerpaDesign for seeing how duckweed can be beneficial to a natural aquarium
>hasn't watched Fishstory to learn how duckweed can remove ammonia from the water
Why are you here, anon?
>>
>>4785042
>dickweed is the only floating plant that absorbs nutrients from the water column
Go away
>>
>>4785018
Eat it and find out
>>
>>4784992
Red root floaters are my favorite as they can also flower in addition to just being red. Red tiger lotus and other surface-sprouting plants also uptake nutrients better than fully submerged plants, but they are harder to maintain than just scooping out floaters.
>>4785032
In water usually works best.
>>
>>4783628
>>4783634
Just ordered 3 Hoplias to spite you two. Will post pics of them eating some cardinal tetras then they show up
>>
>>4784992
>Red root floaters and Salvinia?
Yes. But very gentle with these two if you buy them in a tissue culture. At full size they can tolerate some surface agitation but at tissue culture stage they can easily die off on you before showing any meaningful growth. To avoid this outcome, contain the tissue culture floaters in a small feeder ring in the area of your tank that sees the least surface agitation from your filter. Once the ring gets filled in, swap for a larger one and repeat until well established. I have personally found frogbit to be less delicate than this but experience may vary.
On duckweed and its benefits: duckweed can help your "main" floating plants survive as it tends to gather around the circumference of your floaters and protect it somewhat from filter surface agitation. I credit the presence of duckweed for allowing me to successfully maintain decent flow in my tank without having to hold all floating plants in containment rings.
>>
>>4780620
>money and space was not an issue for you
The entire Pacific ocean
>>
Sukuna the Betta may have died, but there was an even sicker betta in my area that I picked up today as a rescue. Completed hospital setup. This 3 dollar aqueon volcano filter sucks lol. I'll replace it with a better nano sponge.
>>
File: IMG_0740-min.jpg (1.82 MB, 6000x4000)
1.82 MB
1.82 MB JPG
>>4783820
Ive been keeping umbra limi for a while now. Really fun fish. Like a mini pike. I have kept 3 and am on my fourth right now because I keep losing them to catastrophic accidents. First one jumped, second one jumped through the tiny gap in my new lid, and the third one killed itself by trying to eat a fish that was 3/4 its size. I collected another one recently that is large and in a fully lidded tank so hopefully everything goes well with him.
>>
File: splashing tetra.webm (1.26 MB, 960x640)
1.26 MB
1.26 MB WEBM
>>
>>4785213
Badass, wish they were native around me
>>4785216
Extra badass, any luck raising the babies?
>>
How much will stratum fuck with water for neos?
Can I toss some culls from a tank that doesn't have it into one that does without problems?
>>
>>4785230
They aren't in my state. They are a nonnative population.
>>
Is it possible that doing a half water change wouldn't bring down the nitrate level? Maybe I didn't wait long enough before testing
>>
>>4785459
Shake yer bottles more, and the test tubes. You need to do like 60 seconds of vigorous shaking for each step, if it's the api kits.

Only way to get those results legit is for there to be nitrates present in the new water. That's just how volumes work.
>>
>>4785459
>>4785464
Try tapping the bottom of the bottle against a hard surface as well. IIRC, the second reagent bottle is a suspension of crystals, and over time those will settle on the bottom. Given a long enough time, they get really stuck there. Better test kits just give this reagent to you in powder form so this doesn't happen. Consider using one of those. Salifert freshwater NO3 test kit is probably the cheapest good one at around $13 vs $10 of API's if bought separately, and will give you more accurate, easier to read, more consistent results.
>>
>>4784963
I'd just buy a new one. Any halfway decent diffuser has disc replacements, as they don't really last forever. As you're waiting for the new one to arrive though, cyanoacrylate or silicone seems fine to me.
>>
>>4784203
>he's also not skinnyfat
I kind of like DerpaDesign but he is literally skinnyfat. Just because you like a guy doesn't mean he isn't. Is he relatively lean or skinny but doesn't have any muscle mass? Then he's skinnyfat. That's him. Yes, he's done some home improvement stuff. And? He is way, way better than me at a lot of shit involving aquariums, but that doesn't stop him from having no muscle mass.
>>
>>4785513
i am skinny fat because it maximises my chances with the emo chicks
>w2c goth fish mummy
>>
anybody else dealing with their dwarf sag spreading like wildfire and mogging the rest of the plants? Duckweed and pearlweed is reputable for spreading like wildfire but this one is up there.
>>
>>4785555
based digits and based plant choice
>>
>>4785561
lol thanks, i pretty much impulse bought a bunch of plants off of small amounts research and have them cluttered in a 10 gallon. It’s been a month with dyi co2 and they actually seem pretty healthy although it’s no aquascape by any stretch. I’m probably just gonna make this my shrimp tank and and double down on the classroom ecosystem aesthetic for now.
>>
Every time I buy shrimp they are healthy for about 6 months to a year and have lots of babies but then the population dies off. They just stop breeding. I have no fish or predators. I have lots of plants, do water changes, so it can't be buildup of bad water quality.
>>
>>4785589
I still have some brown/transparent mutts surviving from a population of fire reds from 4 years ago, but even they are down to like 10 individuals now.
>>
>>4785589
Shrimp population are usually self regulating depending on space and the amount of food they get regularly
Maybe try doing hard vegetables once a week
>>
>>4784992
Am I the only one to ever manage to kill all his duckweed on accident? All my other plants are fine.
>>
>>4785513
>skinny but doesn't have any muscle mass?
That's not skinnyfat, it's just skinny. Skinnyfat is when you have narrow shoulders, no muscle, but you have a belly. Think of it like a rope with a knot in the middle.
SerpaDesign is not skinnyfat.
>>
>>4785652
No, it's literally not. The whole reason fat is appended to it is to define the person has little muscle mass, because you can be lean and skinny, thus being muscular, which people falsely assume is true for a lot of skinny people (like you). Having a belly does not factor into this. That is just being fat, you retard.
https://inbodyusa.com/blogs/inbodyblog/how-to-tell-if-youre-skinny-fat-and-what-to-do-if-you-are/
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/skinny-fat
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK568563/
Or any other of the thousands of google hits. None of them mention having a protruding belly. Stop being in denial, you DYEL ass fatty.
>>
>>4785632
No, it's quite easy. Have lots of surface turbulence. I've done it on purpose by picking them out while letting red root floaters grow though. Took a while, but it happened.
>>
>>4780324
Are the non-neo species as difficult as the general population makes them to be? I've had my eye on blue bolts, but have been a pussy.
>>
>>4784401
Vore fetishist cope.
>>
>>4785127
Ok, do it.
>>
File: chrischanstraw.jpg (52 KB, 640x645)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>>4785678
>
>>
>>4785669
>NIH link
>probably vaccine shill, too
>calls others DYEL
>doesn't post body
Lol. Lmao, even.
Buddy, get yourself a dictionary - skinny doesn't mean "low fat, with muscle". A skinny guy is just that - looks like a stick. Skinnyfat is a guy who has no muscle but otherwise has a belly.
>>
>>4785669
Your first 2 links quite literally mention visceral fat, which is what belly fat is
Skinnyfat is people that look and have otherwise normal BMI but actually have a lot of visceral fat surrounding their organs which would mostly be around the torso and belly area
>>
File: gif.png (49 KB, 441x383)
49 KB
49 KB PNG
>aquariums?
>>
>>4785703
Kek
>>
i dont like serpadesign really despite his good channel because i dont like people who talk in that autistic voice
>>
is it a bad idea to put a small aquarium with terrestrial plants in your bedroom? how often do aquariums leak out of nowhere?
it wont have noise because no equipment and i presume small fish like danios and shrimp dont make noise at night
>>
>>4785734
For me the more autistic the better, I even like Oliver Lucanus although I think he's more German than autistic.
I just don't trust the overly excited youtube voice to have good information.
>>
>>4785743
I prefer deadpan autistic
LRB aquatics and TM aquatics are the only good aquarium tubers I know

The rest either have shitty filming, absolutely no idea how to keep fish alive, are funded by the COOP mafia, or absolutely grating to listen to like serpa and KFS
>>
>>4785738
Small tanks 20g and under are very unlikely to leak even if they're dodgy quality.
>no equipment
You need a filter, possibly a heater, and a light. Filters can make a tiny amount of noise depending on type and brand. No fish don't make any noise. The only small fish that does make noise is the sparkling gourami. They uh, vocalize, sort of. It's very cute:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWDsDkUMRMc
>>
File: IMG_20240430_114506.jpg (3.97 MB, 3790x2222)
3.97 MB
3.97 MB JPG
I had no idea asian arrowanas got so big. The white fish in the back is an adult giant gourami.
>>
>>4785738
I have a 14gal cube on the nightstand next to my bed. No filter, no heater; it has cherry shrimp, snails, and endlers. Pretty neat, I turn on the light when I wake up and turn it off when I go to sleep - no algae issues, since I have a ton of plants, shrimp and snails.
Zero chance of leaking if it's such a small size.
>>4785761
>You need a filter
Wrong
>possibly a heater
Wrong - he said he wants shrimp and danios.
Stop shilling
>>
>>4785783
>Stop shilling
Shilling for what?
>>
>>4785738
I'm the anon with the 20gal tank from 2008. Nano tanks can last forever, so go ahead and set it up in your bedroom. You'll have some critters to look at.
>>
I have a 90 gallon tank with four fancy goldfish (three fantails and a black moor). Are there any coldwater snails I can add to the tank that my fish won't eat?
>>
>>4785838
Depends on how cold your water gets
I've kept mystery snails in an unheated tank no problem, they usually go dormant in the cold months though.
I think Japanese trapdoor snails do well in cold temps and get almost as big as mysteries as well.

Or you could just toss in some ramshorns and hope they outbreed the fish eating them which is absolutely possible.
>>
File: 717pkL1sMjL[1].jpg (153 KB, 1600x1600)
153 KB
153 KB JPG
Is a sponge filter ok for a 20 gallon tank with 14 Neon Tetras, two Cories, and a fuckload of snails? I would describe the tank as 'heavily planted'.

I'm currently running a basic bitch hob filter, but those cheapo hygger double sponge filters look nice. They also come with two extra sponges. I wonder if you could pull one and replace it with a clean one, then 4 weeks later pull and replace the other one, then four weeks later do the same thing. This way you would always have a relatively clean sponge for maximum mechanical filtration but you would also always have a cycled sponge for maximum biological filtration.

I'm running an air pump currently for an airstone, if it wouldn't have enough airflow for both I could just get a more powerful pump but if it does I could just get a line splitter. The reason I'm curious is because my hob filter is fucking huge, needs its own power line, and constantly needs new replacement filters. A sponge filter would take up way more space inside the tank, but on the upside I wouldn't have to keep buying filters and if I eventually add shrimp it would be nice for them anyway (no chance of getting sucked into a filter and blended, plus ez access to particulates to chow down on).

The only problem is I am pretty lazy about water changes, so I think I'd have to step those up with sponges.
>>
>>4785844
I ask this because I had a snail in my tank and when i went to look at my tank one day he was gone. I turned the light in my tank on and moved the gravel around he was nowhere to be found. I did this for weeks and still couldn't find him. Do you think the fancy goldfish ate him? Or maybe he escaped the aquarium somehow?
>>
>>4785854
Snail probably escaped, they're known to do that occasionally, a goldfish couldn't possibly eat a snail larger than it's mouth
maybe check around behind your cabinet for a dead shell
>>
>>4785854
If it could fit in a goldfish's mouth there's a good chance it became food. Nerites and mystery snails are notorious for leaving water and wandering around so that's also possible.
I've also had bladder snails refuse to live anywhere but inside my filter, they would just move back in as soon as I put them back in the tank after a filter cleaning.
>>
>>4785854
nta but get some ramshorn snails. Their breeding speed is somewhere in between "fast as FUCK BOI" and "rabbits fed a diet comprised of 50% food pellets and 50% viagra". They'll either outbreed your fish's predation or you'll just be adding food for your fish.

They're cheap as fuck but you can probably just ask literally anyone in your area who has an aquarium and they'll probably be happy to give you half a dozen for free to get your started.
>>
File: shimp.jpg (243 KB, 2000x1500)
243 KB
243 KB JPG
I have 1mm gravel at bottom and it got really dark, i got like couple shrimp, 50 ramshorn snails and 50 long burrowing ones
how tf do i clean it, should i just get rid of most of it? its 54l with 4cm deep gravel, i think i will remove 90% of gravel
>>
>>4785846
>constantly needs new replacement filters
The what now? In an HOB you just need to rinse out your coarse sponge (and bio media if used) about once a week. Only filter floss needs to be replaced.
Sponge filter is fine for your setup. It will not mean extra water changes. With tons of plants and a sponge filter going you're mostly doing water changes on rare occasion as a consequence of some gravel vacuuming and to prevent old tank syndrome buildups.
>>
What other fish should I add to my 14 gallon?
>>
>>4785884
Considering the list you provided of the fish you currently have in your 14 gallon tank I would suggest you add the following:
>>
File: 20240430_165317.jpg (119 KB, 960x720)
119 KB
119 KB JPG
>>4785884
>>
>>4784787
is it wise too if they're my first saltwater fish?
>>
>>4785887
No but if you love them then go for it. I would recommend starting with dwarf sea horses, they can be kept in 10 gallon tanks and can feed off of live BBS and copepods, making them probably the easiest seahorses to keep and breed.
>>
>>4785896
thanks
>>
>>4785886
>that gourami
Kek
>>
>>4785886
> Couldn’t find webpages or duplicate images. Try another one instead.

Oh no no no...

I'd suggest you get one of those little divers and a treasure chest bubbler, then add either a spongebob squarepants pineapple house or a little wooden directional sign with "Atlantis" on it.
>>
File: 2024-04-30-00-001.png (265 KB, 576x768)
265 KB
265 KB PNG
how can i lower the tannings?
>>
>>4785884
>99 red platties
>some plecos
>some neon tetras
>one Betta named Simon
>>
>>4785786
>Buy a heater! You need it!
>Buy a filter! You need it!
>Buy a RODI system!
>Buy some supplements, too!
>Hire some aquarium cleaning team while you're at it!
>Shilling? Oh, how could I be shilling?
>>
>>4785945
You are mentally ill, sperging out so hard because of an aquarium filter.
Enjoy your understocked and shit aquarium, you will never post a pic of it!
>>
>>4785756
> are funded by the COOP mafia
Huh
>>
new one for u retards
>>4786138
>>4786138
>>4786138
>>
File: 1696096376603.jpg (2.98 MB, 4032x3024)
2.98 MB
2.98 MB JPG
>>4785495
>>4785464
I must be doing something wrong, I changed the water again and it's still showing high nitrate. I tested the tap water and it was fine before going in. Maybe I'm adding too much chemicals? pic is what I add after water change, anything here that might be bumping the nitrate back up? I'm really confused
>>
>>4786258
Could be the "cycle" additive, I guess? Whatever is in it could have rotted into ammonia->nitrate, I guess.

You don't need to add bacteria supplement each water change, that's really only when you're cycling.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.