[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1696135093305246.png (97 KB, 640x480)
97 KB
97 KB PNG
What are your favorites?
>>
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
>>
Curse of Monkey Island
>>
>>10938115
Is GK1 good?
>>
Curse of Enchantia
>>
>>10938392
It's one of my favorite. GK1 Original > GK1 Remake.
>>
File: df86cccb71dff562.png (394 KB, 1667x1244)
394 KB
394 KB PNG
Simon the Sorcerer, one of the most gorgeous examples of videogame pixel art imho
>>
>>10938439
I came here to post Simon, too.
>>
>>10938391
This,

Curse is my favorite but Grim Fandango is a close second.
>>
>>10938439
The floppy disks version has subtitle but no digitized speech. The CD ROM has speech but no subtitles. Is there a patch to enable subtitles in the CD version?
>>
File: Blazing_Dragons_cover.jpg (22 KB, 256x251)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
Broken Swords are great, but this game doesn't get enough love.
Still waiting for Blazing Dragons 2
>>
>>10938392
Gameplay wise it's horrific. Plot atmosphere sound characters all godtier.
>>
I thought Broken Sword was pretty nifty. I only played the first two though.
>>
I liked Kyrandia 2
>>
Ringworld
>>
>>10938942
kyrandia's don't get enough love here, they're right there at the very top.
>>
>>10938928
don't listen to this shitposter, the only thing that's really horrible about it is a couple of gimmicky active time sequences.
>>
>>10938397
Never heard of this one in my life. Is it good though?
>>
bump
>>
File: Gag1.jpg (13 KB, 250x187)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
Has anyone played Gag (ГЭГ)?
>>
>>10940948
I googled it and found there is a tetris-like minigame in Gag. It's tetris but with naked men and women. I played that minigame in late 90s or early 2000s. I never play Gag though, just that minigame. It's in internet archive.
https://archive.org/details/xtetris
>>
>>10938115
Maniac Mansion and Zak McKracken.
Beneath a Steel Sky and Broken Sword 1 (any version pre-Director's Cut shit, even GBA)
Freddi Fish 4.
>>
File: comet-2.png (28 KB, 320x200)
28 KB
28 KB PNG
What do you think of Call of Cthulhu? Visual wise looks good.
>>
>>10941993
Shadow of the Comet ? It’s hard (harder than GK1), with plenty of dead ends, time constrained puzzles and stuff you will miss.
Its sequel Prisoner of Ice had the exact inverse problem : almost zero difficulty.

The comics adaptions were pretty good though.
>>
File: 1695991355421646.jpg (186 KB, 1280x720)
186 KB
186 KB JPG
Any recs for 1st person pncs or mystlikes? Have been playing Alice : an interactive musuem recently and it's great, wish Pink Gear had an english tl.
>>
>>10942080
I have an extreme fondness for Lost Eden and Starship Titanic. Journeyman Project series also.
>>
>>10938392
I think it's one of the better point and click adventures, but some of the puzzles are things I would've got stuck on forever and given up over if I were playing back it back in the day.
>>
>>10938115
For me, it's the OG point & clicker.
>>
Loved this spoopy adventure when I was kid and learned so much about psychiatric hospitals
>>
>>10943296
Ahhahaha what?
>>
>>10938391
This but I'm biased because it was also my first
>>
File: innocent_004.png (397 KB, 960x600)
397 KB
397 KB PNG
Innocent: Until Caught by Psygnosis. Probably because it was one of the first point-and-clicks I played too. also had a sequel called Guilty.

Was rather obscure though, even moreso today. Not even supported in ScummVM sadly. Also had that annoying "Enter the code on row 6, column 5, page 16 of the manual" type of DRM that I am not sure was ever cracked. Getting Sound Blaster sound effects to work, especially on the CD version, was also a bitch. Music in Ad-Lib mode would work fine, but it's a bit of a mess trying to get sound effects/Sound Blaster working correctly. Something about it being VERY picky about the version of ct-voice.drv.... despite the fact that even the CD version of the game didn't have voice lines (though now I am starting to suspect if this is maybe because the versions of the ISO floating around are a bad dump).
>>
>>10943614
Be thankful it's not a hamster.
>>
>>10939720
I honestly cannot even fathom over 5% of players having the patience/luck to figure out like 20 of the triggers. Many times I look up where to go and I think this is fucking retarded.
>>
>>10943296
Absolutely loved that game as a kid.
>>
>>10939214
Kyrandia 1 is awful.
>>10942080
Shivers
Zork: Nemesis
Zork: Grand Inquisitor
Schizm
>>
>>10943320
He didn't play Sanitarium.
>>
>>10944436
>Kyrandia 1 is awful.
filtered
>>
Personal favorites :
Day of the Tentacle,
Full Throttle,
Beneath a steel sky,
Broken sword
The Legend of Kyrandia (Really disliked Hand of Fate on the other hand)
King's Quest VI

Has anyone played the Black Mirror series? it looks great but is it any good ?
>>
File: Full_Throttle_artwork.jpg (125 KB, 256x342)
125 KB
125 KB JPG
>>10938115
Full Throttle and The Dig were my favs. I thought the cave fish gang in full throttle were the peak of cool.
>>
Now I don't remember the name but there is this famous point and click game with rpg mechanics are random encounters where you fight in first person. King's Quest maybe? I thought it was an interesting combination of mechanics with an average fantasy slop setting.
>>
>>10946254
Quest for Glory.
>>
>>10944316
some of the puzzles are wonky but outside of prime lucasarts that eliminates the entire genre. the only puzzle that outright pissed me off was the snake scale one.
>>
File: qfg1.gif (161 KB, 640x480)
161 KB
161 KB GIF
>>10946260
Yes, thanks for the tip. And the original remake looks good.
>>
>>10946254
>average fantasy slop setting
I kinda dig the 4th game's setting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N15Zu268rE
>>
File: 53057.png (1.2 MB, 1280x800)
1.2 MB
1.2 MB PNG
>>10946287
Doesn't look that different to me. Mad pixel art though.
>>
File: natbridge.jpg (14 KB, 480x360)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
>>10938942
Whenever anyone mentions Kyrandia 2, I remember this exact location. The epitome of soul.
>>
>>10944101
Was it a reference to something?
>>
Kyrandia 1 was my very first adventure game and it was amazing. Still remember those dark caves, I was super afraid of those things in the dark

As for Kyrandia 2, liked it too but had to look up guides for some of the recipes. One of the ingredients was a "toadstool"; being the stool where a toad was standing on instead of a mushroom. I wanted to punch the devs for that
>>
File: 1702672937061.jpg (65 KB, 710x533)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
>>10938115
zork grand inquisitor. I still play through it every couple of years as it's such an enjoyable experience.
>>
>>10946297
QF4 is Gothic/Horror themed and set in a pseudo-Eastern European country. Best game in the series imo.
>>
>>10938115
There was an x files one that was pretty good for the ps1 and pc
>>
>>10946615
This one?
>>
File: Aconcagua.jpg (97 KB, 1100x843)
97 KB
97 KB JPG
And now I remember this exists. Any experience with the game?
>>
>>10946362
It's a reference to Maniac Mansion.
The game is wack.
>>
>>10946615
Yeah everyone ironically hates it now but as a kid I loved it, being an X Files fan
>>
>>10942080
Have you played Gadget: Invention, Travel & Adventure?
>>
>>10946458
As a kid I managed to finish 2 although I did use some brute forcing on the recipes. I thought the "toadstool" one was funny. The fireflies, on the other hand, that was real annoying.

But then they cranked everything up to 11 in Kyrandia 3, which is makes it very unfun.
>>
>>10946279
GOAT series; 5th one is meh but the others are all great. Importing your character from one to the next was also awesome. Remake of the 1st one is actually pretty well done.

Never played the fan-remake of the 2nd, but of all of them I probably spent the longest playing the original EGA version of the second one.
>>
File: latest[1].png (321 KB, 482x299)
321 KB
321 KB PNG
FUCK goats
>>
>>10947375
How would someone go about playing this now? The Zomb's lair pack is bloated and doesn't run well
>>
>>10938391
>>10938610
I was apprehensive about trying this one since it's a completely different artstyle and there was a change of director but I gave it chance and as soon as I booted it up I ended up immediately uninstalling as soon as I heard Threepwood's faggy prepubescent voice. 0/10 would not recommend.
>>
Garage. Really neat game. There's still a ton of stuff I haven't fully explored in the game even after a whole playthrough of it. Frog fishing is comfy.
>>
>>10947426
Never had a problem with this little fella
>>
File: Dark_Seed_(DOS)_41.gif (162 KB, 640x350)
162 KB
162 KB GIF
>>10938115
I like Higer's artstyle
>>
>>10947426
this one in particular pissed me of. If you're gonna be cute with puzzles don't hide them behind laggy animations and split second triggers.
>>
>>10947939
Nate Higer's ?
>>
>>10938731
The text-only version is better IMO. Chris Barrie does a decent job as a Simon but every other voice actor in the game is fucking terrible. You're better off with silence.
>>
Are the dark seed games worth playing?
>>
>>10947564
>Hating Dominic Armato's perfect VA work
There's a reason in every subsequent MI game and remake Dom comes back to voice Threepwood and it's because his voice work is the perfect pick. Sorry you have such abysmally shit taste.
>>
>>10949928
honestly? no. maybe just to fuck around and try it but not to seriously complete it. extremely convoluted and tedious
>>
File: Blood_Island_cemetary.jpg (67 KB, 1061x799)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
>>10943626
Curse was also my first but having gone back and played every game in the series I still rank it as the best Overall. I know some people despise the art direction but it is what the logical endpoint of Monkey Island was. I think people just think back to Secret and think about the realistic pixel art portraits while ignoring Le'Chuck' Revenge had extremely cartoony designs that fit the game's tone far better. Regardless Curse's backgrounds easily trump every other game's Art Direction without question. I also think it's story is second only to the original in terms of quality and that's because the ending is just so abrupt. The puzzles are great and entertaining with standout locations that really make it something special. It doesn't have the complexity of Le'Chuck's revenge but I can forgive it's more streamlined design just for the sake of having an ending that isn't completely stupid. The music is at it's best in curse and the voice acting is top notch. Overall it has stellar presentation that I really think makes up for its shortcomings and it's no small feat that the writers were able to circumvent Le'Chuck's ending cleverly while still making a fun unique story that fit with the series' charm and respects its predecessors.
>>
>>10943753
I remember that one, never played it.
>>
Of the new ones, the only one I consider to be on par with the classics is Primordia. I might have to give Strangeland or whatever it's name is another chance. I am not too familiar with Russian games though judging by this thread there have been some good ones. My all time favorites are Monkey Island 1 (2 was a decline), Sam and Max Hit the Road (too hard for me to finish), Beneath a Steel Sky, Gabriel Knight (ludicrous puzzle towards the end), Syberia and probably some others as well. I remember once renting a Christopher Walken acted FMV called Ripper to play with a playthrough from a magazine but one of the cdroms was faulty. Never liked FMVs. I never got into Myst or Riven. I have Blade Runner installed but I only played it for a short while.

Point and clicks mostly had really shitty combine this with that puzzles and never managed to do spatial ones (except for Myst) properly. Like, Silent Hill has better puzzles than most of the western pncs.
>>
>>
>>10950139
Strangeland is not as good as Primordia, though it is fairly interesting.

>point and clicks mostly had really shitty combine this with that puzzles and never managed to do spatial ones (except for Myst) properly.

I recall that game reviewers in the 90s would denigrate games that relied on "block puzzles" because they became overused during the fifth gen and they were rarely creative or engaging (see Soul Reaver for example). Broken Sword 3 drew some criticism for ditching its original paradigm to include Tomb Raideresque block-pushing segments. There was certainly the danger of alienating adventure fans if the developers chose to go down that route or, like Myst, design puzzles around actual logic.
>>
>>10950909
>Broken Sword 3 drew some criticism for ditching its original paradigm to include Tomb Raideresque block-pushing segments.
I actually liked BS3, but yeah not for its puzzles. All that 3D sokoban felt pretty lackluster. Same with the stealth segments.
>>
>>10950985
For all the flack BS3 gets, at very least it still got the appeal of the series and doesn't feel like a third rate fanfiction, like overpraised BS2.5, for example, or some later official additions, like awful Nico storyline in BS1 Director's Cut.
>>
Looking for horror adventure games. I liked I Have No Mouth and Sanitarium but those got pretty whacky a lot of the time and I want something even darker and depressing if it exists
>>
>>10951013
The Cat Lady is grimdark and edgy, and the protag is suicidally depressed. The story is that she kills herself only to be returned to life by a vengeful spirit who wants her to hunt down certain serial killers who are active in the world.
>>
bump
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (81 KB, 1280x720)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
Are there any books about understanding good vs bad puzzle design for point-and-click games?

I have an idea for a game that I'd like to start work on planning development for, but I feel like coming up with good puzzles will be the most challenging aspect of it.
>>
>>10952731
It really comes down to how much common sense lets you problem solve without stepping into utter nonsense territory.

Example of a good puzzle
>NPC is hogging a phone booth that you need to use to flirt with a girl
>eventually you visit a shop where the seller offers libido-reducing pills
>a-ha! now I just need a way to purchase the pills

vs

>you get kidnapped by bandits into an otherwise inaccessible building where you can find the only source of food you need for later
>you die because you cannot say use a knife to cut the rope or literally any other way
>the solution is not missing a timed event after traversing a maze so that disney movie logic can occur in order to unbind yourself
>>
It's not amazing, but I enjoyed it as a kid
>>
>>10938115
I really loved Shadowgate and Maniac Mansion.
>>
>>10938392
top tier game. Playing through it for the first time currently. On day 4, used to guide yet but my god is the game kinda shitty when it comes to pixel hunting. Day 3 was horrible for this, one of the puzzles absolutely is out of left field and has you click on a random corner of a random spot you never go to
>>
Police Quest 4 is burnt into my psyche from playing it so much as a kid. To this day I randomly think of Pawp! PAWP PAWP PAWP PAWP! It genuinely scared me at several times.

The fact the killer is a degenerate tranny is hilarious nowadays. Darryl F Gates new the He She's very well
>>
File: 42-mi_17_37.gif (81 KB, 640x400)
81 KB
81 KB GIF
>>10952817
>It really comes down to how much common sense lets you problem solve without stepping into utter nonsense territory.

This is a pretty good way of putting it. Your second example is a bit too insane for me to consider it to be a valid scenario, but I get your point. As long as the player is able to use basic rational thinking to put 2 and 2 together, then that's the most important thing.

I was thinking more along the lines of puzzles like pic related-- logically demanding questions that can somewhat qualify as IQ tests, or that require some higher level spatial reasoning rather than straight up moon logic. Is there any literature on learning how to design things like this?
>>
>>10953629
>I was thinking more along the lines of puzzles like pic related-- logically demanding questions that can somewhat qualify as IQ tests, or that require some higher level spatial reasoning rather than straight up moon logic.
nta but I consider that more of a lateral thinking puzzle than one where the answer can be derived by pure logic. It's a good example because the best lateral thinking puzzles are the ones that are difficult to solve but the answer is obvious once you realize it and it requires some outside the box thinking.

Another common PnC lateral thinking puzzle is the "using an item for something else than its intended use"-puzzle. Though bad adventure games would use that kind of puzzle as a shortcut to create difficult puzzles, by using items so far from their intended use that the only way of guessing is by trying everything in your inventory. Like I said, I think the best ones are the ones where the answer seems obvious when you realize it but aren't obvious before that. But puzzles like that are more difficult to come up with.

A lot of Myst's puzzles leaned more toward pure logic puzzles, where a lot can be deduced by just studying the environment and getting clues from notes and books and from what happens when you interact with things. But finding the answer is fairly straightforward if you just think logically. Myst's hardest puzzles were the ones that also required some amount of lateral thinking.
>>
>>10953730
>lateral thinking
Thanks for mentioning that-- I had no idea there was a term for it. I've never played Myst, I should probably check it out at some point. Sounds like it'd help to inspire some ideas for good puzzles.
>>
>>10953730
>lateral thinking
Those puzzles in Monkey Island series are moon logic puzzles.
>>
File: 12.jpg (127 KB, 800x568)
127 KB
127 KB JPG
>>
>>10953836
>room temp IQ detected
>>
>>10953753
Lateral thinking is just wagie lingo for any activity other than paper-pushing.
>hurr you gotz ta think craytivly to assess your code ta come up with solution? that no make me money, wageslave
>>10953629
>Your second example is a bit too insane
That's a legit puzzle in KQV. You save a rat (timed puzzle, you lose if you miss it, have to die on the desert multiple times before obtaining object to save it with) that then chews through thick rope and talks to you. You actually have to die first to even get a clue about there being a mousehole in the basement.
>>
>>10953753
Yet another Anon, atm I am playing Riven after having completed Myst this winter. I play slowly these days as I don't make a lot of time for vidya anymore. Myst and Riven would have made me give up had I played them back then as a kid / teen. Today, I love them. The puzzles can be really difficult, and they do require lateral thinking at times, as that other Anon said. However, common sense will eventually solve most of the puzzles in these games. But in the beginning, you often won't even know what the puzzle is. Particularly in Riven, where a lot of the puzzles are environmental, and connected to other areas in the game world. But then, it is massively satisfying when things start to fall into place. A lot of the solutions are hidden in the obvious. You really need to take notes if you want to make it through these games. I think for the kind of puzzle you're talking about, Myst games are very good examples to study.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qxg0ykOcgM
Good interview with Rand Miller, co-creator of Myst. From what I remember, he doesn't talk too much about how they designed the puzzles, but the fact that the Miller brothers started with small games with bizarre rooms instead of starting with an over-arching narrative might be a good thing to consider. As far as I'm concerned, these games manage to be free of moon logic. Already have Myst III downloaded and ready for installation, god bless GOG.
>>
File: 1ZdJBn.png (42 KB, 315x250)
42 KB
42 KB PNG
https://retrokissgames.itch.io/
>>
>>10943320
>learned so much about psychiatric hospitals

I was in one, once, after a stupid stint on zolpidem. Was bretty comfy, would recommend. Just try not to find yourself there too often.
>>
>>10947564
unironically filtered
>>
>>10946362
you can microwave a hamster in maniac mansion. it's not a solution to a puzzle or anything, you can just do it.

It somehow even got past the censors on the NES version.
>>
>>10954118
not retro
>>
File: file.png (494 KB, 2885x1542)
494 KB
494 KB PNG
>>10954050
nah I love the monkey island series but he's right, the games very much have moon logic puzzles.
>>
>>10954205
>somehow even got past the censors on the NES version.
Not all copies. It seems a later printing of it has it removed.
>>
>>10946615
I fucking love pulling out my gun and shooting characters mid conversation and getting the arrested game over scene.
>>
>>10954208
Complaining about the monkey wrench puzzle is like complaining you missed out on a joke lost in translation in a japanese visual novel
>>
>>10954401
not complaining, just stating that it's moon logic. moon logic puzzles are fun sometimes. it's not a bad thing.
>>
>>10954208
>muh monkey wrench
Not even that hard to figure out, hell the Day of the Tentacle puzzle that requires washing the car to start a thunderstorm is way worse. What's always telling though is no one can name another puzzle from LeChuck's Revenge that actually has "moon logic" almost as if you never actually played the damn game.
>>
>>10954483
In the case of that car washing puzzle, I didn't know what the outcome would be, but the game gave me a bucket, the ability to fill the bucket with water, and the chance to steal soap from the maid. It felt pretty clear that it wanted me to wash something. Even though I wasn't aware of the cliche of it raining the moment you attempt to wash your car as a child, it's still pretty clear that the game wants you to wash it.

That's almost a game-narrative causality type puzzle. You don't know why you're doing something, but the game has made it very clear that it's what you should do. I suppose it's unsatisfying in the sense that you're just putting shapes in their corresponding holes without any sense of purpose other than "it fits".
>>
>>10954483
>Not even that hard to figure out, hell the Day of the Tentacle puzzle that requires washing the car to start a thunderstorm is way worse
doesn't the game literally give you a hint for that? I remember bernard mentioning something about it
>>
>>10954516
>You don't know why you're doing something, but the game has made it very clear that it's what you should do.
That's how the cat mustache puzzle in Gabriel Knight 3 worked as well. It was one of the first puzzles in the game too.
>>
>>10954483
>>10954516
I'd say having to read a boring book to a horse to make it fall asleep so Bernard can take its dentures is more nonsense than the car washing puzzle.
>>
>>10954443
the real issue with adventure games isn't moon logic, it's never knowing when you are in a state to actually engage with puzzles and when you're in a deadzone having missed a pixel or small detail screens ago.
>>
Discworld 1
>>
>>10942080
>>10942394
definitely try Journeyman Project. I don't remember much about it, but I remember it leaving an impression on me.
>>
File: sciv_546.png (7 KB, 320x200)
7 KB
7 KB PNG
quest for glory 2 is a special favorite of mine because it put me on to the point and click genre
>>
>>10956282
It's the only QfG games I never touch because it has time limit.
>>
>>10956282
It's not point and click.
>>
Has anyone checked out eXoDOS?
>>
>>10955536
agree
>>
>>10957042
most of these run in scummvm better than they would on dosbox. only ones that don't are like "Harvester", "Stay Tooned", "Total Distortion", "Orion Burger", etc.
>>
File: xanth.png (435 KB, 640x400)
435 KB
435 KB PNG
Companions of Xanth
the first game that taught me "illusion of choice". really wished I could play with the succubus
>>
>>10957272
recently I tried Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes and it didn't have any sound in scummvm. worked fine in dosbox.
>>
>>10957286
I'll try it but, (and I know this isn't helpful), it's probably user error.
>>
>>10957303
yeah works fine for me
>>
>>10943320
>>10957282
I love Legend Entertainment's games
>>
>>10951013
>>10951015
Downfall (the orginal 2009 AGS one) by the same dev is also very good, has similar themes to the Cat Lady, the original game has some experimental and edgier parts that were cut in their remake though.
>>
so does "point and click" include the first person games like >>10957282 or is it only the third person ones where you trot around?
>>
There was a P&C game that I played as a young kid which I have very vague memories of, and have never been able to find since. The start is you being locked in your bedroom and you need to use your bedsheets to escape out your window. That's all I can remember. If anyone can work it out based on that I'd be amazed but wanted to ask.
>>
>>10947418
The fan remake of the second one is the best in the series, especially because it's the only one with working combat.
>>
>>10956369
My experience the first time I played it is that the time limit takes so long that you find yourself frustrated that you can't skip ahead and you often feel like you've missed something when it was actually the case that you need to wait for a time based trigger.
>>
File: normality.png (43 KB, 640x400)
43 KB
43 KB PNG
>>10959630
sounds like Normality, you have to escape through the window, i had a demo of it back in the day, eventually picked uip the big box version and completed it, its currently on GOG.

my favourite p&c are prob broken sword 1+2 i played them on the psx with the mouse.

also curse of monkey island onpc, and monkey island 4 on ps2 was enjoyable after i got over the 3d graphics.

a few years back i played thru house of da vinci, really good game, puzzles are mechanical puzzle box types, all of which use real world logic, instead of non-sensical logic, played it on pc, turns out it was originally a mobile game which i would usually avoid, really recommend it, i need to play the sequels, probably play the fisrt one again before i do.
>>
>>10959037
Should be any cursor centric adventure game.
Third person ones where you trot around can still be command based with text parser, like early Sierra games.
There are certain edge cases that used both approaches simultneously, like Spellcasting series though.
>>
>>10959756
>cursor centric
I think you don't need cursor (mouse) to play older Sierra text parser games. You move around using the numpad and you command the character with text input.
>>
>>10959756
Yeah early Legend games like Spellcasting are a grey-area. I played them more with the parser than with the mouse, but used the mouse sometimes to check the list of items in a room and for conversation topics.

>>10959817
I consider the early Sierra games Graphic Adventure games, but not Point and Click games. They're all adventure games though.
>>
>>10946297
I vividly remember the second-from-left, bottom scene. Always thought it was from one of those Dr.Brain games.
>>
File: Spoiler Image (11 KB, 151x188)
11 KB
11 KB PNG
>>10959863
It's Dr. Cranium laboratory. He is Dr. Brain's great-great grandfather.
>>
>>10959817
>I think you don't need cursor (mouse) to play older Sierra text parser games. You move around using the numpad and you command the character with text input.
That's the point. It was an argument that third person doesn't equal P'n'C.
>>10959857
>Yeah early Legend games like Spellcasting are a grey-area. I played them more with the parser than with the mouse, but used the mouse sometimes to check the list of items in a room and for conversation topics.
Same. Personally, I'm surprised that they bothered with making objects on the image part clickable at all.
>>
>>10959736
Sadly it isn't Normality. The art style is more similar to OP's image with per-rendered backgrounds.
>>
>>10957042
I've been using the 12gb version and it's great, some of the games are harder to find downloads for so it's nice, it has a ton of shovelware and random adventure games that are fun to check out too.
>>
>>10959630
>The start is you being locked in your bedroom
The only one I remember is Leisure Suite Larry 7: Love for Sail. But I'm sure about the bedsheets.
>>
>>10959630
Willy Beanish?
>>
>>10960154
Afraid not.

>>10960162
Also no. A bit closer to the art style I remember,

Maybe my memory is false and it never really existed.
>>
>>10960229

I lots of folk here don't like Reddit, but if you have no joy here - the folks at r/tipofmyjoystick are really good at this sort of thing. I've had a couple of really obscure games solved quite quickly.
>>
>>10955576

It's Discworld 2 for me, but I think that's just because I played it first.

Also, my version of Discworld 1 had the infamous bug that made it very difficult/impossible to finish the game, and despite following all the guidance I couldn't make it work.
>>
File: 56346346.jpg (33 KB, 500x281)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>10959630
eh flight of the amazon queen?
>>
>>10960117
Why hasn't there been any legal action with the project?
>>
>>10960380
This is it! Anon you have no clue how long I've been searching for this. The layout of the room is a little different than I remember but the vibe and art style resonate. Thank you!
>>
File: scummvm_STAeHyNaca.png (173 KB, 1366x768)
173 KB
173 KB PNG
Lighthouse scared the shit out of me
>>
>>10961619
you're welcome bro. I think it runs in scummVM nicely so have at it. I went back through some childhood memories myself recently and played through The Dig. it was a wonderful time.
>>
bump
>>
>>10961671

Flight of the Amazon Queen still comes with the main download of ScummVM I think.
>>
>>10949928
They're fun to play for the first hours or so
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-eKSXzw368
>>
What's the answer to the KGB question about the manual?
>>
Hand of Fate : Legend of Kyrandia. Not sure why it was in my library as a kid but the humour really got me at the time.
>>
Only point and click game I really loved, completed, and beat multiple times was Curse of Monkey Island 3. Trying to scratch that itch I've tried Full Throttle, and Grim Fandango (because of that one reference in Monkey). Never played either for more than 20 minutes. I wonder if I'm missing out because of my autistic bias. Is there a single better game than Monkey 3 in the genre?
>>
>>10956457
You're right you point and type. But it led to me playing the sequels and loving point and click games.
>>
>get GK1
>really like the presentation and writing
>get to the stupid ass "lure mime around in a park" puzzle
>fuck it, look up a guide and try to beat it
>accidentally lock myself out of the ending
fuck sierra
>>
>>10938115
wmaf propaganda
>>
>>10964212
>>accidentally lock myself out of the ending
What did you do? Did you miss something in the last day?
>>
>>10963347
MI3 is near the peak of the genre. Full Throttle and Grim Fandango are both hugely overrated (although Grim Fandango has great style).

Check out Day of the Tentacle (assuming you like classic American cartoons), or Loom (the superior EGA version).
>>
I remember this game heavily advertised in magazines
>>
>>10965174
It had some properly retarded puzzles.
>>
>>10954560
Yes, not only the carriage from the past is practically begging to be cleaned as anon said, but in the present there's a very dirty car with "WASH ME" sign on the windshield. If you attempt to wash this car with Bernard he will say no way, it always start raining when you wash the car.

>>10955494
Now this was actually bullshit, I don't recall a single clue to make you think about using the book with the horse.
>>
>>10963347
Maybe if you tell us what you like about Curse, we can suggest something similar.
>>
>>10964856
>Check out Day of the Tentacle
Looks goofy as hell and not classic at all but I'll give it a try.
>>10965407
Mainly the art style. Then the puzzles being le fun and le quirky. After that the humor was good. At least as far as I remember as a young teen. The art style is unrivaled though.
>>
The only one I ever played it. I like it. Humorous text prompts, interesting premise, atmospheric music. Logical puzzles.
>>
>>10964820
yeah and my last save was really far. no matter what I did, Dr John would discover Gabriel and sacrifice him or Grace.
>>
>>10961619
>>10961671
>>10962346
game is free!
https://www.scummvm.org/games/#games-queen:queen
have fun anon!
>>
>>10965309
>Now this was actually bullshit, I don't recall a single clue to make you think about using the book with the horse.
I recall you being able to use it on other characters and they'd all get tired.
>>
>>10965885
This is why you have to make separate saves for Sierra adventure games. There are lots of bad endings in their games.
>>
bump
>>
Idk if it's retro, but I've been playing Machinarium recently and it has one of the best atmospheres of any game I've ever played
>>
>>10965952
yeah i kinda got tricked into thinking the game was more reasonable than the others. can you even die outside of the caves section and that part?
>>
>>10967469
GK1 has much fewer game overs compared to other Sierra games. I made separate saves at the end of each day in case I did some mistakes. I don't remember much but I think you also die if you:
>go to the bayou witthout wearing a mask
>give wrong answers to Dr. John at the bayou
>get caught by the mummies
>>
>>10965952
This, the manual advises you to save often and at different points.
>>10967469
GK2 and 3 are less dependent on multiple saves, though you can still die in 2 (and in 3, but the game automatically restores to right before you die there if memory serves)
>>
>>10962346
I remember playing FotAQ for about 10 minutes and then booting up BaSS and playing forever.
MY CLIPBOARD STILL WORKS
>>
bump
>>
>>10950993
Bs 2.5 actual fanfiction project made by fans when revolution dropped the ball with original and new artwork, dialogue and music that fits the series and despite its mostly homage feeling actually feels at time like it got work from the original team.

You get it free.
You complain and praise a game that at the time was an all-out disappointment mainly due to the graphics and piss pour dialogues and all out deadness of it. Story wasn't that bad but I don't remember it cause I could never go back to play that POS.
>>
>>10965923
Really? nice to hear if true, I'll try that next time I replayit
>>
How is nobody mentioning The Longest Journey? It may have one of the most out there and cool stories/worlds in vg.
>>
>>10938115
BASS had the best voice acting and dialog and puzzles/plot progression that mostly made sense.
that and Grim Fandango, though the puzzles in Grim kinda blatantly tell you it's a puzzle and you gotta solve it to get anywhere.

otherwise i grew out of graphic adventure games fast. most of the plot/puzzles are just too damn obscure ,lots of pixel hunting, or absolute bullshit nonsense(Sam & Max is one of the worst offenders). Puzzle Bubble 3 is superior /vr/ puzzle games.
>>
>>10969156
>Really? nice to hear if true, I'll try that next time I replayit
not sure if it was them getting tired or they started getting bored but I definitely remember that.
>>
>>10969171
this, had one of the most alive worlds in a pnc too.
>>
>>10965578
>Mainly the art style. Then the puzzles being le fun and le quirky. After that the humor was good. At least as far as I remember as a young teen. The art style is unrivaled though.
The you can try Hollywood Monsters, it was made by a bunch of Lucasarts fans and it shows. Also the theme song was composed by a famous spanish group from the 90s and it sounds very nice:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kacBjIyxfvA
>>
>>10965578
>Looks goofy as hell and not classic at all but I'll give it a try.
day of the tentacle is considered one of the best point and clicks ever made. also yes it is VERY goofy.
>>
>>10965578
>Looks goofy as hell and not classic at all
you have pretty terrible instincts if you don't recognize the quality of the art.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.