[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/p/ - Photography

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 02da9ff1.jpg (69 KB, 736x920)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
I'm a bit of a beginner who's done mostly landscape and abstract photography, but I really want to get into portraitures. I've been meaning to do it for a while, but I don't know any of the basic rules, fundamentals, or philosophy behind it. I just wanted to ask if any anons here had any good tutorials to watch, specific books to read, highlight certain photos/examples, or any other resource I should check out to help me get a better understanding of portaits.
>>
>>4314348
idk, I never watched anything or read any books but from my experience shooting portraits the most helpful things have been to compliment the model and never verbalize anything negative even if it's about you and the camera. Try to talk and banter, have a good time, be friendly. Bringing a bluetooth speaker for some background noise can also help things be less awkward

Scouting locations before hand is good. The more confident you seem while on the shoot the better the models respond

You can look up posing stuff for ideas but personally none of that ever sticks in my head when I'm out on the shoot and I just treat posing someone the same way I'd construct any other frame.

idk, that's all I have
>>
https://www.instagram.com/tatsuo_suzuki_001/
>>
https://www.instagram.com/hwilliamsjrphoto/
>>
>>4314348
>I don't know any of the basic rules, fundamentals, or philosophy behind it
good. take more portraits until you can see what kind of portraits you want to make, what portraits you like, and then your portraits will be like no one else's. the best way to take good photos is to take a lot.

however, I have done some work (read: about three days worth with the owner of a clothing store in a nearby city) with models and the number-one thing I remember from it was how the guy there (who'd been working in fashion for decades) kept telling the models to pose and they would just do it. it seemed like the models already knew how they wanted to look on camera so all he had to do was get them to strike their next pose when he was ready. poses in portraiture may not be what you like. I don't know. maybe you really just like plain faces.

I did learn another thing from one of my photography instructors at community college. He said you can cut off the forehead but never the eyebrows or anything below that. Next, he said you never cut anyone off at their joints; only cut them out of frame on a limb. that helps you frame extreme close-ups (cut-off at the neck), close ups (cut off beneath the shoulders) and medium shots (cut-off below the elbows and either above or below the hips). it could be a bullshit rule but it helps me make decisions so you could use it too.

Last thing, and I learnt this from another instructor: you need to take 10 000 photos to get a good one.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.