[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/p/ - Photography

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 20mm-F18.jpg (33 KB, 698x477)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
Anyone have experience with wide primes? I was looking at either the 20mm f2.8 or the newer 20 f1.8
I was previously using a 12-24 f4 but it got damaged so I wanted to try something else

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
PhotographerAJ
Image-Specific Properties:
>>
In F mount? The 20 2.8 AF-D is cheap and decent, not super sharp in the corners at 2.8 but usable. The size is the biggest plus for me. It’s tiny and you never mind tossing it in a bag just in case. The 1.8 looks amazing if you’re doing astrophotography at all, so go for that if so. For landscapes where you’re stopping down to 5.6 or 8 anyway? The 2.8 is totally fine.

The Z mount 20mm S lens is in another league altogether.
>>
>>4309260
Astrophotography is something I’ve done before with lesser lenses so thanks for that suggestion, I think the 1.8 would be better for me of the 20mms, any other wide primes you could suggest?
>>
File: 20mm.jpg (244 KB, 1703x1137)
244 KB
244 KB JPG
>>4309255

i think this was 20mm f/2.8 af-d plus uv-filter, not sure though

most images came without flare
>>
>>4309294
There’s a 15 3.5 that’s pretty spectacular but you’re giving up a full stop and it’s pricier. I think 20 is the sweet spot in terms of being ultrawide but not looking too crazy. Otherwise there’s the excellent 14-24 f/2.8 holy trinity lens, but that’s a heckin chonker.
>>
>>4309300
Nice lens but yeah that thing is massive, plus attached to a giant FF body you got a brick
>>
There's a few modern-ish MF wide primes too, Irix 15 2.4, Rokinon 14 2.4, maybe some others. I don't have any myself though, besides a MF RMC Tokina 24 2.8.
There are also some good deals on 17-35 2.8-4 tamron (which is reasonably sized too), but I have no idea how good that is.
>>
The Nikon 17-35 is pretty nice I will say. Temper your expectations, it’s not as good as a 14-24 in the 17-24 range nor as good as the 24-70 from 24-35… but it’s a solid performer taken on its own merits. The 20-35, do not bother.
>>
>>4309255
>>14508214
https://www.wdrb.com/in-depth/brice-rhodes-sentenced-to-life-in-prison-for-2016-triple-murder-conviction/article_e08c90c8-e149-11ee-ba90-3f2bb0cd6309.html

Racist KKK white pig retard who discriminates against Asians should kill himself.
>>
>>4309717
the fuck

>>4309255
ive been eyeing the viltrox 20/2.8 (for mirrorless) - its tiny and ridiculously cheap ($160), plus the reviews say its not at all bad. maybe its worth trying it for the price without blasting big money on a lens thats twice the size and has similiar performance(?)
>>
Ive been looking at picking up an FD 24mm f/2.8 for my F1 New. Decent prices on Ebay. I have a 28mm f/3.5 which performs surprisingly well. Does anyone have any experience with the Canon FD wides?
>>
>>4309255
I own a 21 mm F 2.8 Zeiss Great amazing lens
>>
>>4309731
bought the 20/2.8 mentioned and its fantastic considering the price.
>>
>>4309260
>The Z mount 20mm S lens is in another league altogether.

I think this is the lens that actually convinced me to finally switch over to mirrorless. I can't decide between the ZF and the Z8, though.
>>
Wide lenses are especially useful if you're stuck in cramped areas while filming or photographing.
>>
>>4309255
>I was previously using a 12-24 f4 but it got damaged
What'd you do to it?
>>
>>4311472
Dropped it and cracked the composite frame, the lens elements are ok but now the left side of pictures are out of focus
>>
>>4311441
Z8 if you have the funds, no question. No mechanical shutter to fail, higher resolution, insane burst modes, native 64 ISO, it’s a do everything wonder machine. That Zf a cutie tho. If I were only adapting vintage lenses or shooting with manual Voigtlanders or I cared about how a camera looks, I might choose it over a Z8.

>>4311471
That’s right Zach, very good.
>>
>>4309255
Yeah. I shot for years with Nik’s wild 14mm aspherical prime. I loved the shit out of that big glass monster. Easily my fave lens of all time. BUT the plebs hated the distortion & the optics are circa-2000 so lenses have gotten a good bit sharper since then. It was fine & great on my FA through my D2x & 36mp D810e, bc the resolving power of the glass and the sensor were about equal. ...but when I plop it on my Z7 at 45mp I can see the difference between it and the Zeiss 18mm Batis. And the Batis + Megadap II are half the size & weight of the 14mm + FTZ. And the AF works on the Batis, unlike the 14 with the FTZ breaking AF. So fml, my 14 is in my eBay pile. :(
>>
>>4311441
I have the ZF, a Z7, and my Dad has the Z8. Man that Z8 is a bunch of camera to haul around. The ZF is as big as I want to go on a body ever. The 6/7/II’s are damn near perfect. ...the ZF’s size is different, bc they turned the battery to lay flat, so it made the body wider, but it’s nice if you want to snuggle a camera in a jacket pocket bc pop the lens off, and between the grip and the eyepiece the whole body is actually thinner than even my classic film cameras. I’m able to transport it and the Z 28mm lens in my light summer jacket pockets on the plane & into places where I’d otherwise not be able to get a good camera. Also the ZF has an incredibly good feel in the hand, that sounds superficial if you’re an aspie nerd that thinks the only aspect of photography is edge sharpness in ur photos, but if you’re a fully functional human being that understands why a Sony is a miserable camera to shoot with, then you’ll also appreciate an equally-spaced improvement beyond the old 90’s plastic & rubber blob body designs we think of as current. The ZF is a fucking metal brick of a camera and it feels fucking gooood to shoot with.
>>
>>4311876
I’m just pissed that Nikon shit the bed and put the ducking 24mpx sensor in it just like the Z6. WTF. They should have put the 36mp sensor in it. That’d make considerably more sense in their lineup.
>>
>>4311879
Gotta save something for the ZfII
>>
>>4311879
I personally feel that the 24mpx sensor was a good choice. Its enough for 99% of the work youre probably gonna be doing and.. Who doesnt like a big ass pixel you know.
>>
>>4311876
>i am a real person and people who dont like this camera are fake people
And you autists wonder why larp camera fanboys get bullied
>>
>>4309686
This
>>
>>4309686
What's wrong with the 20-35mm?
Not enough range?
>>
>>4312604
Notoriously a soft lens. Not worth what you can get for the same price with nicer lenses
>>
>>4312604
You mean besides the fl range? It’s such a meme lol. Why is everyone making these super weird seemingly pointless “lite” zooms? Canon put out a 24-50, sigma has the old 24-35, are they normie fodder?
>>
>>4311824
I'm kind of leaning towards the Z8 just because it's the second-newest camera in their lineup and the ZF has a fairly deprecated sensor. So does the Z8, but i can live with that for the megapixels and insane stacked sensor performance. I usually make cameras last at least 8 to 10 years, so $3500 ain't too bad.

I might also yolo and get a canon r6 ii instead, though. Feeling spunky.
>>
File: DSC_2835.jpg (1.51 MB, 4928x3264)
1.51 MB
1.51 MB JPG
OP here I'm glad I ordered the 20mm 1.8 when I did, it arrived just in time for the Northern Lights last weekend.
>>4309260
The 1.8 came in handy for sure. If I had just used my 10-20 f4 lens it would not have looked this great

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D7000
Camera SoftwareAdobe Bridge 2020 (Windows)
PhotographerAJM
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.7
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)30 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Created2024:05:12 08:46:09
Exposure Time2 sec
F-Numberf/1.8
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/1.8
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length20.00 mm
Image Width4928
Image Height3264
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.