[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

>no maintenance required
>can't be stolen
>inexpensive
>no storage needed
Is this the best form of commuting?
>>
heavy as fuck, sometimes station's empty, sometimes station full so you can't drop it there, requires credit card. shitty as hell.
>>
I can see you've never tried. They can't respond to demand without big ass trucks hauling them around and redistributing them constantly. Otherwise left to their own devices they all pile up around the same 10% of stations. Try commuting on one to an area with a lot of commercial activity during the morning rush hour and good luck finding an open dock. Then the reverse happens to docks in areas around a major subway or commuter rail station, you just can't find a place to put the bike.

They are fine for WFH or opportunistic use when you're just out and about and need to cross town and there just happens to be a bike there. Unless it's a particularly nice day, that is, because everyone grabbed one for a fun ride.
>>
Kinda niche imo. They're great late in the night when trains and buses don't ride anymore. Although I do find myself drunk in those situations a lot of the time so I don't use them. In most other cases just taking a bus is easier. Especially since you need to drop them of a bike stations to not get an extra fee.
>>
>>1994460
>Is this the best form of commuting?
kind of but it depends entirely on how the bikeshare is implemented. Like, in theory, it's the ideal transport because it's sustainable, no worry of it getting stolen, and they're everywhere. However, the way the city I live in implemented it poorly and off loaded the management of the bikeshare program to Lyft who so happened to make it equal or higher in cost than using their rideshare service, absolutely retarded.
keep in mind, everything I'm going to so here will be regarding Divvy, Chicago's bikeshare program
>no maintenance required
yeah but being at the whims of the company's diligence on maintenance is hit or miss
>can't be stolen
honestly the best part of riding a bikeshare but the company themself has had serious issues with theft
>inexpensive
yeah no, Divvy was really cheap before Lyft took business, now it's kind of absurd and might as well take a CTA day-pass instead
>no storage needed
inb4 docking station is full and the next station is stupidly far away
>>
File: IMG_2156.png (670 KB, 890x780)
670 KB
670 KB PNG
>>
>>1994474
Oh hello flyover, I guess you didn't realize people can both own things and use services. I have a crabbon fred sled that keeps me happy. A 50 pound steel boat anchor doesn't make me happy because I'm not dutch. It's just a way to get around that you don't have to drag with you into the store and ram people with like a park slope stroller karen. Just leave it outside and if it gets stolen it's not my problem anymore.
>>
>>1994477
Very defensive post anon
You don't seem happy
>>
>>1994501
Why do you talk like those people who stand on street corners accosting strangers about your religious beliefs?
>>
i have 2 scooters and an ebike in my shed that people rented and abandoned. i don't understand why they're abandoned so often.. are they nogs using stolen credit cards or something? anyway, i'll eventually build something with the motors. i sold the batteries on facebook.
>>
>>1994506
nta, but settle down you neurotic city rat. live the life you want, it's not a contest.

but if it were you guys would lose hard, just sayin'
>>
File: images.jpg (6 KB, 200x200)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
>>1994508
Yeah I know you guys fantasize about a civil war, I've been to /k/. You sure think about shooting people a hell of a lot. Must be because you're so happy
>>
>>1994460
>heavy as fuck
excuses excuses
>>
>>1994648
There's a police station on the mezzanine level of that station but they're probably too busy vandalizing the fare readers so they can bust people for fare evasion to notice someone dragging in a stolen citibike
>>
>>1994460
Have never witnessed one of these going over 10mph.
>>1994506
Funny, no people like that where I live.
>>
>>1994501
Not him, but kill yourself.
>>1994508
You should also kill yourself, but for different reasons.
>>
>>1994477
>I'm not dutch
grim
>>
File: 1666477445086111.png (409 KB, 1024x604)
409 KB
409 KB PNG
>>1994460
>>can't be stolen
>>
>>1994460
For daily commuting it's better to use your own bike since these are pretty slow. But they are incredibly usefull in some situations. In my city they just cost a few euros for a yearly pass. I love them, every 1st world city needs these.
>>
They were removed from my city because no one rode them. Not even the dockless ebikes have taken off. Rental E-Scooters are very popular however and people tend to try them out, then graduate to buying their own.
>>
>>1994460
e-scooters are 100 times more useful

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.