[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

I'm going to build a shed on my property mostly using stones I can find, but I was wondering if I could just have one big slab of rock, like maybe marble or granite from a place that sells countertops? It would be 8x10 ideally but I could get by with a 6x8 if that's the biggest slabs I can find, but my question is how large of a span can rock like that take before it caves in under it's own weight?
>>
>>2799695
you ground prep is going to determine how long it lasts but no countertop cut piece is going to be set into the ground deep enough to prevent rainwater and erosion underneath. you'd be better off getting a custom cut piece of stone that is thick. I imagine either is so expensive that building a crapshack of rock on top would be idiotic. Embrace dirt floors or start pouring cement a bag at a time.
>>
Why is there a net over that cute lil' pond?
>>
>>2799734
I was talking about the roof, not the floor, hence the question about span and the rock caving in under its own weight
>>
>>2799695
like this but not so buried, and the rock that covers the entrance would go the length of the rather short building
>>
>>2799695
how do I determine how thick the rock needs to be, what kinds of rocks will work and what kinds won't, and where to buy such a big ass rock
>>
>>2799737
I don't know anon, it's not my pond, I would never do such stupidity
>>
I would like the finished shed to look nice, have a good solid working door, and mortar between all the joints, like the op image but with a big slab for a roof
>>
like a modern version of this but with a door, mortar between the rocks, etc.
>>
Mike Oehler's underground housing workshop. With the videos.

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:E1594F8A95929DC1DB661E1CF5F5B31FDBFE4B1D

I grabbed this off (now defunct) One Big Torrent, which in it's day, although it started as a muh counter-revolutionary commie site, quickly had contributions in homesteading (you can see how both political movements, left and right, dovetail among the thinking members of each).

Would appreciate you seeding it.
>>
>>2800383
Thanks Anon, I was rereading "the $50 and up underground house book" the other week so this is very relevant.
Not very active here, has anyone tried to have an underground general? (autism containment)
>>
File: roof.jpg (68 KB, 1030x579)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
>>2800289
where in the fuck is that ever specified in the OP?
span is as big as the piece since it will be supported on 4 sides, even if you ridge without a ridgpole the edges will ostensibly support each other in compression but I suspect you're planning a lean-to style slab. countertop thick is fine for this. beware of leaks through the sink cut-out.

Also it's not entirely unheard of to roof it over with stone slabs, you basically span it with sticks and place rocks that are as long as the sticks between each pair then thatch with mud daub and cover with dirt. there are videos on youtube of primitive canyon/cliff dwellings and also some guy rebuilding/building a stone shed as a thank you that do this.
>>
>>2799695
>8x10 ideally but I could get by with a 6x8
you can find both of those in many places in the US, they wouldnt cave in under their own weight
if you're using it like an arch its called a lentil, which theres been much, much more massive stones used for that purpose
https://naturalbrickandstonedepot.com/products/hearth-stone-slabs-weatheredge-limestone
heres one example, although i'd reccomend looking for quarries in your area to reduce shipping costs
like say you're in kansas or missouri, you'd get a limestone slab because limestone is whats available in the area
you could also look on craigslist

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.