[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: file.png (1.87 MB, 4001x2256)
1.87 MB
1.87 MB PNG
I want to get into DIY gene therapy and metabolomics, but I don't really know where to begin.
>>
Typically you begin by working in a lab and getting experience working with their expensive machines. You will not get far if you're trying to LEARN with DIY centrifuges and biosafety cabinets and god for bid DIY PCR. You need to learn on reliable equipment, the cognitive load and time consequences for technical failure necessitate this.
If you have a degree in sciences and persistence, you should be able to find a lab technician job.

t. Worked in a famous gene therapy lab for 3 years
>>
>>2794805
I'm not going to get all the equipment and make the plasmids myself. I want to learn how to write the genome myself so I can send it to a lab like benchling so they'll do that part for me.
>>
>>2794815
And you will test your construct in what?
And you will use what as a vector?
You're roadblocked at every step if you don't work in a lab, and you're quickly going to realize that paying someone else to do things gets expensive.
It is estimated that with current highest efficiency production methods, the typical gene therapy dose for one human costs in excess of $1M.
There's a reason why almost everybody who does research does it with someone else's money.
>>
>>2794825
>And you will test your construct in what?
ME

>And you will use what as a vector?
Chitosan

https://youtu.be/J3FcbFqSoQY
https://youtu.be/aoczYXJeMY4?t=60
>>
>>2794876
"I'm here in my friend's genetics lab and he's letting me use his equipment and materials"
-First of all, he has access to a real lab
-Second, Jesus fuck he thinks he's got enough AAV from a single t-175 flask? We would do 30 of these 10-layer cell-stacks for enough virus for 1 human:
https://ecatalog.corning.com/life-sciences/b2c/US/en/Browse-Products-by-Application/Cell-Therapy-and-Vaccines/CellSTACK%C2%AE/Corning%C2%AE-CellSTACK%C2%AE-Culture-Chambers/p/corningCellSTACKCultureChambers
Also, gene therapy to the intestinal epithelium probably won't have fuck all duration as AAV is non-replicating and every time your infected cells divide you lose half.
You are probably better off engineering a yogurt with bacteria with the plasmid and colonizing your gut with lactase secreting bacteria as that should durably retain the lactase gene until the bacteria is wiped out by the next time you have other yogurt.
No, scratch that. You're better off buying lactaid. Like that guy ended up doing.
Also, with the modern sharp uptick in colon cancer, especially around age 18-35, I wouldn't guinea pig gene therapy.
Common thinking is that AAV is without risk and does not integrate into the genome at all. But, it does integrate into double strand breaks very well. If that happens in the wrong place (it happens randomly) it can cause cancer.
>>
>>2794876
LOL he's a fucking retard
He says with regard to the updated plan "There is NO way for it to integrate into the host genome. So there is NO way for it to cause cancer"
He wants to inundate the cells with a shitton of DNA that so overwhelms the cell that it gets into the nucleus, and then he wants to claim, without anybody understanding how this stuff was transported into the nucleus in the first place, that it DEFINITIVELY doesn't integrate.
"Source: trust me bro, I have a youtube channel"

The party line was that AAV doesn't integrate, until it wasn't:
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35690906/
"Although most rAAV DNA typically remains episomal, some rAAV DNA becomes integrated into genomic DNA at a low frequency, and rAAV insertional mutagenesis has been shown to lead to tumorigenesis in neonatal mice."

If you're using gene therapy to cure a crippling disease like zolgensma did, that's one thing. But if you're using it to avoid the inconvenience of taking lactaid, and doing it DIY with no GMP facility, you're a dumbass.

You are lucky someone with a background in this specifically entered this thread to save you from yourself.
>>
File: 1714413809749359.jpg (37 KB, 447x500)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>2794906
>If you're using gene therapy to cure a crippling disease like zolgensma did, that's one thing.

My friend has duchenne muscular dystrophy.
>>
>>2794805
Maybe off topic but what does the vaxx do?
>>
>>2794922
Experimental shit that likely nobody fully comprehends. And the ones that understand the most are not going to just come out and tell you the bad news out of the goodness of their hearts.
Part of the reason why the vax was a gene therapy is because it was supporting gene therapy as a potential multitrillion dollar industry as the proposed future of medicine.
I was forced to get the vax and I chose the mrna one based on purely theoretical decreased risk of genomic integration, because it would also have to be reverse transcribed to dna.
What is causing the uptick in colon cancer in young people? That is a very hard question to answer. Literally could be anything, you can't rewind the clock on a cancer cell and figure out what it was exposed to when proto-oncogene became oncogene. So, much like avoiding huffing paint/brake cleaner/etc., I elect to avoid potentially carcinogenic gene therapy if there is no benefit to it. Like a vax that didnt prevent disease or make me any less sick the second time I got it.
There is a lot more cancer today and it scares the cancer doctors.
>>
>>2794928
>I was forced to get the vax
Nobody forced you.

>What is causing the uptick in colon cancer in young people?
Buttfucking, if I had to guess.
>>
>>2794929
There was no pathway for me to become a doctor without taking the vax. You might stand on your high horse if you're self employed and avoided it but the reward of this career was worth more than the risk of the vax.
>>
>>2794932
>You might stand on your high horse if you're self employed and avoided it
My job required me to get it, so I quit. Now I have a different job.
>>
>>2794932
...so you were pressured towards getting it rather than forced
>>
>>2794928
Building on top of what this anon is saying, the world today is extremely, extremely toxic. People are exposed to enormous amounts of plastics, hormones, antibiotics and other medicines, food preservatives, food coloring, pesticides, electromagnetic pollution, etc. everywhere. Fuck, I wouldn't be surprised if genetically modified foods were fucking up people too, seeing as its fucking Monsanto behind most of it.
>>
>>2794932
Was it though? Was the money that'll soon be obsolete when they replace it with UBI points worth your eternal soul?
>>
>>2794942
Are gmo foods real now? I thought they were all banned or just still experimental?
But yes i agree, do you think fasting kills cancer btw?
>>
>>2794958
>eternal soul
You have to stop this bro, the mark of the beast CANNOT be taken unknowingly and not unwillingly (and outside of our countries there were actually people being held down by cops in their beds while "doctors" injected them) also there wouldve been an angeld declaring it so EVERYONE on the world wouldve known AND everyone who did not take it wouldve been beheaded. Read the Revelation again
>>
>>2794928
Yes so it was a huge cashgrab, having to take a new dosis every 3 months plays into that, what i dont understand however is why we still see these adverse effects if it wears off after 3 months?
Btw my theory is they were working on the vaxx already in wuhan then leaked the virus out of stupidity and had tl rush their vaxxes out to save face.
>>
>>2794963
Uh, they were pretty blatant about it bud. I dont think this was the mark, just a prototype, but I don't think the real one is gonna come like "I'm the antichrist and I endorse this brain chip. If you take it you no longer have a soul God can't help you and you're stuck after death." You're still gonna need to read between the lines a bit. Just before this shot came out, they were talking about nanotech
>>
>>2794966
>leaked the virus out of stupidity
They leaked it on purpose because the US economy was doing too well, it was improving when it'd been declining for decades before Trump. The lock-downs fucked-up the economy royally and allowed the mail-in ballots to be used to rig Biden into office.
>>
>>2794966
>>2794969
This. It 'leaked after Trump finished off his epic trade negotiations with China after doing the rest of the world.

China didn't like the deal of actually having to respect IP law so they committed a crime against humanity
>>
>>2794800
Here you go bro: https://www.the-odin.com/diy-crispr-kit/ Post some pics of your mutations
>>
>>2794800
>we have crispr at home anon
seems like a good thread for the diy bingo card
>>
>>2794800
>gene therapy
I'll just follow mother nature's prerogative and build something better than me. It's far too complicated to change an already developed human being, let alone knowing what you change, feels like transhuman bullshit made of faggots wanting to live forever so they can be eternally annoying.

I think you have more chances to build the ultimate super biocomputer taking over the world than this.
>>
>>2794901
Nice to see an actual scientist here every now and then.

t. phd organic chemist

>>2794876
op and video guy are dumb
>>
>>2795080
Thanks.
>>
>>2795107
Make catgirls real.
>>
>>2795250
We are way too dumb to do this. We have almost no idea how cells actually work and you think we're gonna make a whole ear?
>>
File: file.png (608 KB, 755x594)
608 KB
608 KB PNG
>>2795251
I was not asking.
Make catgirls real.
>>
>This week, researchers from Profluent and Stanford University announced a groundbreaking development in gene editing technology. With advanced AI, they've designed a new set of CRISPR models (the strongest genetic editing tool) poised to revolutionize precision medicine.

nature . com/articles/d41586-024-01243-w
>>
>>2794800
probably by reading 20 or 30 textbooks starting with biology, chemistry, then get more and more specialized
that's where you can start. from there you're on your own bro, maybe start buying used lab equipment
>>
>>2794800
>DIY gene therapy
Lol. Op I hope you're rich enough to afford the necessary lab equipment to carry out this research. Best bet is to get into university and walk the typical route of the scientist. Don't be one of those biohacker retards. At best your experiments will fail due to inadequate sterilization, worst case scenario youll get cancer from huffing fumes all day or some virus fucking up your genome
t. master's in biotech
>>
>>2795251
We can just make the ears out of cartlidge
>>
>>2796182
Can you name the text books?
>>
>>2794800
it doesn't matter, you won't do it.
>>
>>2796461
Did you mean to reply to a different post? In context of replying to the OP it doesn't make any sense.
>>
>>2796472
Oh yes it sure does, anon. OP is not going to "get into" gene therapy. Not now, not tomorrow, not ever.
>>
>>2794800
Likely outcome 1:
>insert gene into self.
>inserts into p53 or other tumour suppressor gene
>die of AIDS
Likely outcome 2:
>insert gene into self
>immune system attacks product
>die of AIDS
Likely outcome 3:
>OP is OP
>die of AIDS
>>
>>2796476
Okay, bot.
>>
somewhat off-topic but can anyone do a QRD of how gene-editing actually works?
specifically, once you insert the DNA into one cell, how does it spread to every single cell in your body?
>>
>>2797338
You'd only insert DNA into one cell if was an egg cell, like cloning something. If you want to effect every single cell in a fully developed organism, you'd need to get it into the bloodstream and it'd have to be able to penetrate the cells through there.
>>
>>2797343
makes sense. kind of creepy that you can just inject something into bloodstream that has the power to change your dna forever
>>
>>2797360
It's even creepier knowing that you don't even need to inject something.
About 5:30 Into the video >>2794876 he explains that the old way of doing it was to use viruses but it can be done by microencapsulating the DNA in chitosan so it can survive digestion in the stomach long enough to be absorbed into the cells in the intestines.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.