[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Wojak.jpg (10 KB, 180x179)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
No classes or anything. Just youtube videos and gear I can buy locally
>>
>>2793180
Wait for something to break and then repair it?

Learning how to use a multimeter is super important for diagnosing and repairing all sorts of stuff. Drop $30 on picrel and start probing until you understand how stuff works.
>>
>>2793180
>No classes or anything
you already failed
>>
Look around your house and see what needs fixing. Start there
>>
Cooking
How to sew on a button with a waste knot
Mending a simple tear
Spot/stain removal for laundry
Ironing
Fixing a dripping faucet
Checking vehicle oil level/condition
Changing the oil on your vehicle
Changing the air filter and cabin filter on your vehicle
Painting walls and baseboards
Replacing a door lock/handle
Budget planning and saving
>>
>>2793191
>>2793429
Don't even have to wait for something to break.
Look for something that works, but you think could be better or there's an alternative that would make your life easier.
Or find something you want or need and find a way to make it yourself instead of buying it.
Or find something that works fine and learn how to maintain it so it continues to work fine.
>>
>>2793180
Learn to communicate effectively, to put yourself in the situation of the other part.
For example, when asking a question are you giving the other part enough of information to respond with an useful answer?
Above is a rhetorical question, meaning I assume you understand that your OP is lacking information for anon to help you out.
I can only suggest not getting into something requiring teamwork and with minimal contact with any client based on what you opened with.
If life gives you lemons you can at least make lemonade. From there you need to find customers. Put the lemonade in a container with a tap to let the customer fill their own cup once you have received payment. Keep a paper bin to prevent your endeavor from littering the area which is bad for business. Also never quench your thirst with your own supply. Bring a water bottle - every penny saved is a penny earned!
>>
>>2793180
Not a YouTube video or class, but check out the book "How your house works". It's good to know things work in order to disassemble and reassemble. The book goes into that with detailed pictures and short but concise explanations.
>>
Opinion: Build yourself an IFAK and learn how to treat a number of injury scenarios.
>>
>>2793180
Walk around your living space and think about what you’d like to improve. Start with small stuff. Repairing a screw hole in the wall. Fixing a dripping faucet. Change the air filter in your HVAC unit. Then move to intermediate things like installing a garbage disposal, changing out a sink, replacing a water heater, etc. Do you drive? If so you probably spend hundreds or thousands a year on maintenance and repairs, many of which you can do yourself for a fraction of the price. in general, just look for stuff to repair/improve and YouTube it. When something breaks don’t immediately jump to “I need a repairman” or “I need to replace this”. Diagnose the issue yourself with Google and attempt to fix it if you feel comfortable. Over time you’ll get more confident with tools and tackling more advanced projects.
>>
>>2793483
>Learn to communicate effectively, to put yourself in the situation of the other part.
>For example, when asking a question are you giving the other part enough of information to respond with an useful answer?

Good advice. I hate giving a presentation to a room full of parts who aren't paying attention, so maybe I should consider it from the perspective of one of the parts.
>>
>>2793180
>>2793191
Second for fix and repair stuff. “Oh don’t repair hydraulic brakes you’ll mess them up”, “oh you can’t repair your landlord’s oven door it’s too dangerous”, “oh why don’t you just buy a garden box instead of building your own”.

So much basic baby shit is considered too complicated. No one is willing to touch basic machines anymore. Start doing just basic repairs around your house, or around other peoples’ houses (permission optional) and then move on to more intermediate things like learning to do metal or leatherwork.
>>
>>2793180
daytrading
>>
>>2793180
Idk what you would call it in English but back in high school we used to use the term “nigger-rigging” basically how to fix stuff but like on the cheap and just enough to work until you can afford a real repair or replacement
>>
>>2797323
You learn a lot about how shit works when you start digging into diagnosis and repair of random stuff. Some of it is easier than expected, plenty of appliances are like that. Some of it is more complicated. A Youtube short on “How Engines Work” isn’t going to account for 80% of the hoses you find under the hood of a modern car.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.