[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: RT.jpg (339 KB, 1200x1600)
339 KB
339 KB JPG
So, what's the verdict? Is it any good? How does it compare to WotR? Can I play it yet or is the usual after-release horde of bugs still in need of patching?
>>
I don't play Owlcat games until I see Enhanced editions You must be a retard for even asking this.
>>
>>3480991
You can play from start to finish with relatively few issues. But there will be SOMETHING.
I liked it, partly because I like W40k setting more and Owlcat had soem fun with it, but it;s a very different beast than the pathfinder games.
And combat/progression is just more broken cause it is largely homebrew. It spirals down after chapter 2 and especially after chapter 3, but you can still have fun figuring out how to break it.
>>
>>3481008
>combat/progression is just more broken

As in what? You shit over the opposition if you use your brain?

>it;s a very different beast than the pathfinder games.

How so?
>>
>>3480991
Easily the worst story of Owlcats games and by far the worst balanced owlcat CRPG, which should say something.

It's playable now but you still shouldn't even consider touching this fucking game until it gets a re-release. While the first half of the game plays alright (now) it's still fucking unfinished. It needed more time in the oven.
>>
>>3481013
Combat is completely different rules (turn based with cover, point based action economy)
Progression is essentially 60 levels (you get levels at like 4 times the pace from pathfinder) with each level allowing to pick from specific set of talents or abilities and having 2 distinct tiers of archetypes (going from 1 to 2), but not freely.

It's pretty good early one since you need to understand what combos well for your character and party, equipment matters and enemies are threatening with even mobs piling up damage.
However you start outscaling them fast if your choices are not completely subpar and you can rape the action economy (70% reason o for that is the officer archetype). At some point in the last 3d of the game, you reach the universal 'exemplar' archetype and can pick all the abilities and talents you missed plus a few new broken ones, which makes the building decisions you made before matter less (you bring more combos online, more stat scaling) and the enemy cannot catch up at all.
So it goes from an interesting and possibly challenging system of battle and progression to an early one and later irrelevant one.
It combos with the curse many CRPGs have and the later acts not finishing the plot and questlines nicely (call it rushed or them just not knowing what to do). If you could tolerate the pathfinder games, you likely can this one too in that regard,
I will say though, space battles are the best minigame they have done so far (not a high bar) and colony management is pretty interesting, but I wish it could be expanded upon a bit and have it pop up in the main story..
For what it's worth, I like most of the companions too. Pasqual (tech priest) is one of my favorites in general, not just Owlcat games.
>>
>>3481021
Alright thanks for the write up. I'll give it a shot when I have time, although I have to say the botched last act gimmick being something of a crpg trope at this point makes me weary as hell.
WotR was so bad with this to the point I'd never consider touching the game again, even though I mostly enjoyed it.
>>
>>3480991
It's pretty good and major bugs have been fixed.
>>
Didn't they say they would be adding more midgame content through DLC's? Really putting off playing until the base game is 'complete'. Have they said anything about an 'Enhanced' edition?
>>
>>3481796
Yeah there are 2 dlcs planned, first one is out late summer. Nothing about an EE yet.
>>
>>3480991
Lemme put it this way. Witcher 2 at its core is an amazing game, but botched in execution, but not enough to ruin it. Rogue Trader is like W2, but its burnt too much to be salvaged. Too much was cut, too much is missing, too much starts out great but gets half-assed later on. Unless they literally add in a mising quarter of what the game should have through DLC (they won't, just look at WotR never adding new Mythics or properly expanding the shittier ones), RT will remain a net-negative game.
>>
>>3481936
eh I don't think act 4 being rushed is THAT bad the story still works fine it just could have been longer
>>
>>3481944
Hence I say net negative and not bad. The problem of Act 4 is that its massively unsatisfying for most plot points. Basically all companion quests get resolved in a tiny one-note area in a very rushed way. Same goes for Winterscale vs Chorda. Game does an amazing job setting up its second half and then fails to deliver. Not to mention the awful ending slides where half your companions die to either random goons or Pascal going Joker mode.
>>
>>3481947
Pasqual resolution is great, IMO.
And Heinrix's is good .
The rest do go downhill.
>>
>>3481947
Well I like most companion quest endings even the ones that are short can be great like Cassia or Marazhai's. Agree Winterscale and Chorda should have been longer but I wouldn't call it "burnt too much to be salvaged" at all.
>>
File: Tumblr_l_3087121661728390.jpg (810 KB, 1447x2048)
810 KB
810 KB JPG
>>3480991
Absolute piece of dogshit. If you bought into the hype, then a singular run might feel tolerable at first and then you'd want to finish it out of spite, but I would never recommend it to anyone. The story is ass that bursts at the seams the second you don't do things as you apparently should, the combat is ass with trash cleansing, management modes are garbage save for colony stuff.

Oh, and the conviction shit. Did you, at any chance, fail to pick up all the conviction points at any possible opportunities, no matter how retarded they are? Sucks to suck, get locked out of most late game shit - the worst example was with Nomos, where they just fucking poof away in a weird-ass cutoff dialogue without any resolution if you don't gain enough points. If you hit [Conviction 3], they actually have a fucking full dialogue!

Marazhai is best girl, though. The only light in this ocean of shit.
>>
>>3480991
Basic mechanics like line of sight still do not work consistently and properly.
>>
>>3480991
Their best game yet, might even reach a 3/10 in parts.
>>
>>3482567
>the conviction shit
it's extremely hard to not reach conviction 3
>>
the pacing of the game is deeply, extremely fucked up due to the enormous amount of loading screens (literally worse than kingmaker).

despite being 10-20 hours shorter, it feels much longer than previous owlcat games in the worst way possible. full of filler and actual trash mobs.
>>
>>3482830
also I am not exaggerating about trash mobs, the trash mobs are literally, actually a mechanic now. each fight is bloated with like 20+ extra pointless enemies that exist to fuel momentum and take up your time. combat itself is the worst I've ever seen in a CRPG, or turn based game for that matter, and centers around buffing up one or two characters that proceed to one shot everything on the map, before you get one shot.
>>
>>3481936
Tbh I'm a W2 enjoyer. Yeah, the last act was rushed and feels like shit but the whole Flotsam segment is one of my all time favourite rpg moment, and the second chapter is still really solid. Dual stories was also a nice touch for me since I usually feel no reason whatsoever to replay a game.
>>
>>3480991
The combat was such a joke.
Story was a nothingburger that in chapter 5 I was just shrugging and didn't even bother reading the ending slides since I didn't care about the colonies or the side characters I met.
Big downgrade compared to the pathfinder games.
>>
>>3480995
/thread
>>
>>3483177
Shut up.
>>
>>3485918
No u.
>>
>>3480991
Until the dark elf city I was having a blast, but I can't remember the last time a game when to shit so quickly, from act 3 to the end is the worst thing owlcat has done in terms of narrative, and no patch is going to fix that. And of course the combat was broken to irrelevance by the end of act 2.
>>
Too many obvious cut content, I don't care the bugs have been fixed now they weren't when I played, story is awful in term of pacing and each chapters feels disconnected from one another like they weren't sure which way to go. Probably the worst Owlcat game by far.
>>
>>3480995
fpbp

And also preferably at a discount, at best.
>>
>>3486048
act 3 was great though

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.