[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: trailslegend.jpg (266 KB, 1200x675)
266 KB
266 KB JPG
Imagine having the creative freedom to make over a dozen full-fledged RPGs with continuous plot and lore, and wasting it on 90% slice of life soap opera in the most generic fantasy setting possible.
>>
>>3466272
I do wonder why people like this series so much or what's supposed to be good about it
>>
>>3466272
True, it's so generic. It's Japanese Forgotten Realms.
>>
File: trailsstopposting.png (222 KB, 157x514)
222 KB
222 KB PNG
>>3466272
>>
>>3466325
Sorry that your favorite slop is getting called out.
>>
File: 091.jpg (721 KB, 1745x1218)
721 KB
721 KB JPG
>>3466272
It's pretty obvious that Falcom has long since run out of their best ideas for the series and are just mailing it in to keep the money coming. Trails isn't the passion project by a small team of Gagharv fans-turned-devs that it started out as. Falcom sold out way too much in the last 12-ish years for that to be the case.
>>
>>3466272
God-tier art for god-tier games desu
Kondo-sama...I kneel
>>
>>3466272
Just the fact a series did that is the impressive part to most JRPG players and what amazes them. There are long running series, yes, but they don't attempt any real continuity. Just references and callbacks. I'd argue Front Mission was a better example and creator actually got to finish it.
>>
>>3466272
Who has bigger boobs? The teacher or the glasses girl?
>>
i guess this is the trails thread now so ill ask:
was anyone else fucking disappointed with crossbell? idk if its the switch to handhelds that caused it, but everything feels WAY more *safe* and cartoonish. especially in zero, i felt like the game was making fun of me. you loved the sky gamees? well guess what the lore is a joke now and so are the characters. heres this boring bright colored futuristic slop with one of the least interesting casts ive ever seen that youll be spending the next 150-200 hours in. the only reason i wont drop trails is because the ending slideshow gave me a taste of what ever made me interested in this series (and the toval manga was cool)
>>
I think the baseball minigame could use some work
>>
>>3466635
it's the in-between setup episode
>>
>>3466635
>and so are the characters.
That’s a result of localization team changes. The Sky characters in Crossbell are much closer to their jap portrayal rather than their Xseed localized components - i.e. they’re massively more bland and flat.
>>
>>3466732
i used jp voice acting for sky and crossbell though. actually, the crossbell games seemed way closer to the og than sky did? (i dont speak japanese, just in sky there were obvious points where theyre saying something completely different to whats written, sometimes being boring/comical when the voice has more emotion). i just hate that the characters get basically no development and are just a happy family the moment they meet each other. wazy and randy were cool though, and i cared about kea so much but i feel like she had missed potential. i would have loved azure's story way more if she died at the end
>>
>>3466281
The games aren't complex but they're fun and relaxing. The heroes are likable, even the villains are mostly likable, and the gameplay is deep enough to be fun without becoming a chore.
>>
the trails series is the final boss of any jrpg fan's backlog which is respectable on its own lol
>>
>>3466281
>what's supposed to be good about it
People just like the characters
Also
It doesnt matter if the plot or world building of your game is weak if tje company actually listen to the fans give to them what ever they want
https://youtu.be/DzfsrMhel3o?si=jyHGjyrPLjsEnQ23
>>
>>3466529
This. When you play Sky you feel how much love the people who made it had for Gagharv and how much they wanted to make something that surpassed it. When you play Cold Steel you just feel like you're playing something the most generic flavorless safe JRPG ever made. Falcom really did just completely sell out. Even Ys fucking blows now.
>>
File: 1710542026773986.png (1.14 MB, 2560x1440)
1.14 MB
1.14 MB PNG
>>3466964
I'm glad I started in 2009. I wouldn't take it up now, I don't find it worth undergoing such a huge time sink
>>3466635
after Kuro no Seetheseki, I've grown to like Crossbell more, it's massively important for the lore. The setting was okay and the cast was nice. The remasters are a must-play for anybody who loves JRPGs
>>
>>3466281
Like the others said: peek comfy.
It's braindead nevertheless.
>>
>>3467304
Problem with Cold Steel and onward is series became a MODERN JRPG. People tend to forget that , primarily because westerners played it much later, the Sky trilogy was a mid-2000s affair. It feels distinctly different from Cold Steel due to that as well.
>>
>ironic weebs and westoids seething over Kiseki
It is simply too powerful.
>>
>>3467371
>Problem with Cold Steel and onward is series became a MODERN JRPG.
Being a modern JRPG does not necessitate chasing contemporary trends so hard that you alienate most of your audience for the sake of a broader market of newcomers. As an analogy, an indie rock band going into a larger studio and use more advanced equipment for their next album doesn't mean they're suddenly gonna turn pop.
>>
why does everyone call daybreak and reverie by their japanese names when the localised ones are just fine and sound cool? hell, i see people call trails into azure "ao no kiseki", those are the types of weebs that need to be put down.
>>
>>3468003
its a habit from the time when those games weren't localized, kiseki fandom has existed in the west for over a decade
>>
File: 20230903171546_1.jpg (1.36 MB, 3840x2160)
1.36 MB
1.36 MB JPG
>>3466281
I find the characters to be pleasant. I like the early modern fantasy setting with alternate fantasy Prussia and nobles wearing trenchcoats and cravats and a cold war going, and airships flying around and cool magitek gundams. I like anime swordsmen training to learn secret shounen martial arts techniques. The character models and lighting is nice to look at. I like the melodic music. I like the series' focus on local geopolitical conflicts ala Suikoden or Valkyria Chronicles. I like the turn based combat and character building. And there are exciting, hype moments every now and then (see pictured). There isn't much else coming out on the market that appeals to me. WoW, GW2, and FFXIV are just as flawed as Trails if not more so, and besides that there is just the odd occasional one time release like Monochrome Mobius, Granblue Fantasy Relink, so it's either play this or nothing at all for me.

>>3466635
>was anyone else fucking disappointed with crossbell?
I played Crossbell with the 2017 fan translation patch after the Geofront discord hyped it up as the second coming of Xenogears. Boring modern day urban city landscapes. Boring modenr day clothing. Boring cast. First game is a filler plot with the climax hijacked out from underneath the SSS by the Brights, and a rehash of 3rd's ending no less. Ao was a slog until the final chapter, the first half of which was awesome, and then once I climbed the tower and he started his justice monologue it was all downhill from there. Abysmal ending that made me despise the SSS and detracted my enjoyment from latter three Cold Steel games due to their involvement and the sheer amount of bending over backwards to worship them. Combat and character building was unenjoyable.

>>3467361
>I've grown to like Crossbell more, it's massively important for the lore.
What lore in Crossbell is important? Ouroboros acquiring an alchemist who can make Sept-Terions and then never having her make a Sept-Terion?

1/2
>>
>>3468540
2/2

>>3468003
>why does everyone call daybreak and reverie by their japanese names
Because we played these games in Japanese with fan translations years before they were finally released in English and that is how we are used to calling them. I am not going to buy the Crossbell games on Steam when I already bought them from DLsite and played them years before. I am not going to play through the mediocre English dub of Kuro 1 with NISA's lolcowlization when I've already played it with the fan translation patch.
>>
>>3468543
Everyone used to call Fire Emblem 6 "Sword of Seals" or just Fuin no Tsurugi until Nintendo officially translated it as the Binding Blade and everyone accepted it. Trails fans need to be judo thrown into a wood chipper and defecated on
>>
Is it cool to start with the PSP ports? I want to try this series, don't want to start off with a bad impression if the ports are shit
>>
>>3468991
In this day and age? Nah. You're better off with the PC versions. They have way more QoL features, like built-in fast-forward and S-Craft animation skipping.
>>
>>3468991
https://github.com/Kyuuhachi/InstantKiseki?tab=readme-ov-file
https://github.com/chyyran/skyinstaller

Here are the essential mods for Trails in the Sky, voice acting and instant text speed
>>
>>3468995
I don't get the hype for the VA. The NPCs sound phone-in as hell.
>>
File: trailsrodwork.png (624 KB, 470x489)
624 KB
624 KB PNG
what did xhe mean by this?
>>
Kiseki is the Greatest game series of all time desu.
>>
>>3469424
*trails
>>
>>3468540
you are so easily entertained by the gundams and general cold steel shonenfaggotry its funny
>>
>>3466272
Best games I've ever played
>>
File: Screenshot (217).png (2.37 MB, 1920x1080)
2.37 MB
2.37 MB PNG
>>3468540
started cs1 yesterday and it seems way more interesting so far. i dont rlly get why people hype crossbell so much but shit on cs for sky lovers (at least from the little ive interacted with the fanbase) when crossbell seems more like the odd one out from what ive been playing (which isnt that much ik). i love just going around trista and learning little tidbits about erebonia's history and culture, the students backgrounds, and uncovering the mystery of the old schoolhouse. the game is also beautiful to me, maybe since the palette is darker and the setting feels "older"? idk.
>t. seething crossbell anon
>>
>>3473094
CS1 kind of starts out closer to Sky, but then goes full retard with early 2010s tropes and scifi shit by the end of the arc. A lot of people also just don't like the arc from a writing and characters standpoint.
>>
>>3466272
The Emperor of Gaming: Kiseki
>>
>>3466272
The most generic fantasy possible wouldn't have mecha in it you tard.
>>
>>3473094
Don't worry, it gets worse.
>>
I enjoy and appreciate all of the Kiseki games and I don't care what anyone else thinks.
>>
>>3473094
i hated the schoolshit it was boring
crossbell is a classic underdog story where the sss go from being seen as a joke to being the countries greatest heroes and im a sucker for stories like that plus the whole cop angle made it feel like a fresh spin even if it is still ultimately a jrpg. the characters are also a lot more endearing to me than they are in cold steel.
>>
>>3466272
I've only played the first two games, thought they were fine. Not sure why a hater would play so many entries in the series, must be masochism.
>>
File: capsule_616x353.jpg (116 KB, 616x353)
116 KB
116 KB JPG
>>3473094
CS1 is a nothingburger and you pretty need to immediately play CS2.
>>
>>3473094
Glad you're enjoying it, anon. Kino awaits!
>>
>>3473371
They are simply top tier games
>>
>>3473107
good thing the only 2010 weeb shit ive ever seen that isnt naruto was bad harem anime i got recommended when i first got into it. also i love scifi as long as its set up well. crossbell jumped ahead 100 years for only one plot reason, which still wasnt rlly explained that well and could have been easily replaced. the final dungeon of sky fc was amazing since it felt so *wrong*, like we were uncovering something we shouldnt
>>3473244
ok
>>3473410
to be fair im just mad, at the end of the day weve got different preferences. normally it would make sense to drop something i dont enjoy, but i stuck with it by my own choice since i loved sky and at least want to finish what i started. im happy you liked it, i wish i enjoyed it as much
>>3473515
im not playing two longass games back to back, i have a life irl. if they have a cliffhanger like fc did itll be easier for me to wait since ill be hyped for the next game
>>3473565
thx^^
>>
The first games was released for a new console with less RPG than DS so It attracted some fans.
The Cold Steel was just release in the best moment, Persona 5 was in development hell so they baited Persona 4 fans.
Right now with how many turn based RPG in development and released and the shitty Kuro combat, is hard to attract new fans unlike the Sky and Cold
>>
>>3466281
sunk cost
>>
>>3467799
>As an analogy, an indie rock band going into a larger studio and use more advanced equipment for their next album doesn't mean they're suddenly gonna turn pop
Tell that to Kevin Parker.
>>
File: 1700944059285428.jpg (350 KB, 1448x2048)
350 KB
350 KB JPG
>>
>>3479962
Joshua is so lucky...
>>
>>3466272
Slice of Life is what makes a story worth it. You cannot write a decent story if you just care about hype train and constant action.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.