[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1695057371471255.png (182 KB, 350x256)
182 KB
182 KB PNG
Whoever said this game is better than Ocarina is insane.
>>
File: captain-n-chillin.jpg (74 KB, 300x400)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
>mfw insane
>>
insanebros...
>>
>>10904302
Agree, Termina Field is clausterphobic as fuck to me
The storytelling is pretty damn good but the quality is all over the place in comparison with OoT's brilliant gradients
>>
I like OoT more just because I enjoyed it more and holds a special place in my childhood but I loved MM soundtrack WAY more. I remember I got the full sound track on a double disc CD set from Nintendo Power and listening to it so much. I also entered into the contest to with that Zoraxe/Zora guitar Jackson made back in the day but no dice lol.
>>
>>10904374
To win*
>>
Insane bros rise up
>>
>>10904302
i wish we got a proper Majora Mask Zelda game without the time limit bullshit
>>
i've gone insane then nigger man AHHHHHHHHH
>>
>>10904302
I like both, I always play them back to back
>>10904443
No time limit would ruin the whole game
>>
>>10904302
I say this and am this.
>>
If they somehow made an OoT 3 with OoT 1's structure and world/level design + MM's overall atmosphere and lore, I really think it would've been an all-time goat Nintendo game.
>>
>>10904302
>Even OPs are starting to look like YT video titles
JUST LET ME OFF THE RIDE IM ABOUT TO PUKE
>>
>>10904539
You're describing Twilight Princess.
>>
>>10904548
TP's atmosphere was not nearly as bleak as MM. It was dark on the surface but nothing else.
>>
>>10904606
Did you ever go into a twilight ridden area and talk to any of the NPCs? They're basically in fucking purgatory and constantly suffering.
>>
File: captain-n-pointing.jpg (19 KB, 256x256)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>>10904350
>>10904404
>>10904446
>>10904529
lets get nuts
>>
>>10904606
I love how dark MM is. Do any other Zelda titles come close on that front??
>>
>>10904754
I don't think so. I haven't played TotK (not retro) but I've heard it has some spooky parts.
>>
File: zelda2.jpg (82 KB, 604x394)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
>>10904754
Zelda 2 is very dark in some places, like in this cave
>>
>>10904302
OoT is better simply because your enjoyment of the game doesn’t hinge on how much you enjoy a gimmick.

MM’s popularity is an oddity to me. I distinctly remember it being the black sheep of Zelda for years before it randomly became “the best” Zelda game in all online discussion. I have to assume that opinion came from kids watching videos about MM (rather than playing it). That’s not to say MM is bad. I just don’t think it has the mass appeal to warrant the overwhelmingly positive reputation it carries.
>>
>>10904760
Yeah, they're spooky in the "scary dark monster" way, nothing really atmospheric or much interesting imo.
>>
File: IMG_6200.png (206 KB, 320x312)
206 KB
206 KB PNG
I think looking at it like another Zelda is the wrong mindset to have. Yeah it says Zelda on the box and has some of the same gameplay but it really has more in common with games like Moon, Chulip and 3D platformers of the era like Banjo and DK64 than it does with Zelda. Its like Zelda 2 in that regard, fantastic game but its not really anything like the other ones. I wish they stayed more experimental with this franchise, they did in some ways, but never as radical as this was. Its a hell of a lot more interesting than the empty open world slop theyre doing now.
>>
>>10904931
>an 11 year old whose parents let him buy manga at Barnes and Noble in 2003
Bro, I remember being exactly that age and buying dragon ball, yugioh, .hack, one piece, and detective conan. Those were good fucking times, manga kicks ass.
>>
>>10904956
>detective redditan
dropped
>>
>>10904931
>Even OoT is darker than MM because it's about the reality of growing up and realizing how shit the world is and trying to fix the mistakes you made during puberty
pfft, that is a massive stretch. Link doesn't "grow up" at all, he's just magically put into an older body 7 years in the future.
>>
File: Depth_perception.jpg (2.51 MB, 4032x3024)
2.51 MB
2.51 MB JPG
>>10904302
While it didn't have Saria, it still had Romani and I do like it a bit more because it was pretty interesting and new. The reviews at the time were pretty up about the game too.
>>
>>10904302
It's probably the coolest game Nintendo's ever made after Super Metroid. All their games are kiddie shit but with Majora and Super Metroid it felt like them dipping their toes in actually cool shit

Both games are great
>>
>>10907028
hello /vr/
attention seeking coomlector here
>>
File: ForestTemple.jpg (44 KB, 640x480)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>>10904302
OoT was a masterpiece and anyone finding fault with it is a modern contrarian arguing for the sake of arguing.
MM was a brilliant concept. But in practice the game was unplayable shit unless you're into playing it with a strategy guide that tells you everything you need to do. You're just not going to accidentally get how to play MM without a guide. No fucking way.
>>
>>10907028
why the fuck would you think I'd want to see a picture of the 3ds version. Retard
>>
>>10907071
>forest temple
for me it's the ice cavern, only gripe is i wish it had a unique "boss" instead of the terrible pushover wolf guy
but strangely my least favorite part of mm is probably the snow area
>>
>>10907071
OoT still is a masterpiece, but I think it's fair to point out its shortcomings from a modern perspective.
>>
>>10907370
True.
The only issues I can parce are
>Text speed is purposely slow with very few opportunities to speed it up, hampering repeat playthroughs
>Unskippable cutscenes, hampering repeat playthroughs
>Most textures look like smeared ugly messes outside a few cases (MM fixed this)
>A second analog stick to control the camera would be nice
>First person aiming sucks
>D-pad could've been utilized to hold more items
The PC port alleviates most of these issues, but I'd suggest people only play it AFTER they've played OoT on OG hardware or emulation.
>>
honestly they're both pretty fucking solid games. i gotta say, MM is way more consistent. every single time i play it, i beat it in like, three days.
>>
>>10904912
>MM’s popularity is an oddity to me
it's mostly contrarians
they claim to like MM better because it is "le ebin hidden gem underdog overshadowed by OOT", no other reason

it's a good game with some interesting systems, but noticeably worse than OOT for a variety of reasons
>>
File: 1681600843661179.jpg (52 KB, 910x789)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>>10907028
You just know the person who took this pictures is on estrogen...
>>
File: 1712519206984701.png (192 KB, 600x600)
192 KB
192 KB PNG
>>10907028
>3DS de-make
>>
>>10907485
Redux has options to fix all of those except the camera if you want to play on real hardware.
>>
>>10904931

MM is literally a game about accepting death, thats all
>>
>>10907071
>But in practice the game was unplayable shit unless you're into playing it with a strategy guide that tells you everything you need to do. You're just not going to accidentally get how to play MM without a guide. No fucking way.
You have to be fucking retarded to not get it. Oh... sucks to be you anon.
>>
>>10904302
MM fans are to OOT fans what Sonic fans are to Mario fans
>>
>>10908623
I'll have to give Redux another shot because I never got the text speed option of the patch to work. Not sure what I was missing, but maybe patchertool64 might work better.
>>
>>10908982
You don't though, and that's the problem. MM works in such a way that either:

a) You immediately 'get' stuff and can complete it under the time constraints, because it's that easy that you can do so, and hence is relatively simple and limited
b) The solution is actually obscure, and hence you have to repeat whole sequences multiple times for the opportunity to simply investigate the problem you're trying to solve

The time system and its limitations are absolutely a huge problem for the game's design. For instance, OoT's collection and trading quests just wouldn't have worked under MM's conventions, they each have very out of the way steps that the player is expected to discover by re-exploring the game in its entirety, which would have been hopelessly tedious were you expected to repeat everything within a cyclic structure and plan out things even for the sake of simple investigation.

I'm honestly amazed that MM's fans aren't self-critical enough to see this as a problem. Like, in OoT you are basically constantly in the process of freely investigating potential leads towards the completion of each of your unsolved tasks, because you always already have the result of your previous events that lead towards that in a state of completion. MM, in requiring you to redo things just to get the state of the world in a place where such investigation is even possible, massively limits the extent of the questing and exploration you're meaningfully engaged in at any one time.

In OoT, problems like "who do I give the bunnyhood or saw to?" can have arbitrarily open ended and obscure solutions, where MM would be forced to hint at them to not completely waste your time.
>>
File: IMG_0419.jpg (88 KB, 640x768)
88 KB
88 KB JPG
>>10909071
Sounds like you don't work well under pressure and that time constrants filter you.
I thought this board was all about cyrptic bullshit and "talking with your firends" to solve secrets. Guess beggers can't be choosers.
>>
>>10904302
I like them both but MM is the one I replay.
>>
>>10909248
^this. I'm actually replaying OoT now, just finished the Water Temple. I'm already kinda burned out on it, that doesn't happen to me with MM.
>>
So much heat for some variety ...

>>10907048
My feelings ...

>>10907079
The magazine is about the N64 version.

>>10907636
The subject of that image does appear to be female, but I cannot deduce anything about the photographer.

>>10907639
I heard they improved the visuals. I've only played the original N64, but the screenshots look pretty good on the remake.
>>
>>10909085
That's not what he's saying at all.

He's saying that quests have specific windows of time that you have to act within, so you have to constantly reset the clock to explore solutions, often repeatinf previous actions to get the quest to the state it was previously at. There's no way you can remember what happens where, so you have to constantly check the Bomber's Notebook and remember what you tried. The fact the game felt the need to give you a quest log proves it's problematic.
>>
>That's not what he's saying at all.
It's obviously you based on your similar post structure, scardy cat.
>>
File: 1707870119406582.jpg (322 KB, 1783x1303)
322 KB
322 KB JPG
Low IQ: OoT
High IQ: MM

Just look at the complaints you commonly see against it.
>Time system sucks!
Admitting to being filtered.
>OoT has more dungeons!
Most of them are babby tier easy shit.
>Things are too cryptic!
Again admitting to being filtered by things I found out as a child.
>>
>>10910151
Ocarina is simply a better thought through, well paced, finely tuned experience. Majora's Mask is more intense, more extreme but it's immature in design. OoT is the old master who has perfected subtlety and MM is rebellious student with a lot to learn
>>
I'm tired. Always this fanbase in-fighting over which good game is actually shit. They're both fucking good games.
>>
>>10910165
>>10910171
MM is simply the better game. OoT only laid the foundation.
>>
>>10910176
You'll understand when you've played more games
>>
>>10904931
Ur gay
>>
>>10904302
>Hey you know what makes a Zelda game good? Exploration and taking your time to enjoy the world and dungeons.
>How about we completely ruin that experience by having the entire game be a time limit. LMFAO
Agreed, MM was a mistake.
>>
>>10910171
Yeah, the shit flinging is exhausting, both are good and complement each other. If anything I just wish MM had more dev time and polish, or perhaps was delayed to a GameCube game. Either way these two games are the highlights of the franchise apart from Links Awakening
>>
>>10910171
Really I think it's less fanbase and more of a handful of Anons who know the easiest way to rile up Zelda autists is to pit MM and OoT against eachother. Or bring up stupid shit like how OoT is linear or not.
It's just skub posting.
>>
>>10910239
Oh it's a fanbase thing, especially with Nintendo and ESPECIALLY with Zelda.
>>
>>10910165
>immature in design
What the fuck did she mean by this?
>>
Ocarina lets up patterns and resolves them inside and out of dungeons. It's a nice harmonic experience. Majora's Mask doesn't flow, the dungeons are full of noisy repetition and coarse patterns. No I can't prove it.
Play Tomb Raider and King's Field
>>
I've never been more hyped for a game after OoT and MM was a disaster considering what it was following. People wanted OoT2 instead they got some weird side quest with none of the same characters. It starts off decently but by the time you get to the snow temple and you're rolling around like a goron it becomes apparent it's not as good as OoT at all. The soundtrack is a disaster too with only about two memorable songs. I appreciate they wanted to make all the areas sound depressing but it doesn't make for a very interesting soundtrack. Most of it sounds the same besides clocktown and the observatory. I don't think it's a bad a game by itself but compared to what it followed it's pretty shit
>>
>>10910165
>>10910238
>>10910371
>>10910386
There a reason you samefag or end your last sentence without a period?
>>
>>10910427
Only two of those are me. I don't samefag
>>
>>10910228
have you tried slowing down the clock
you get more than enough time then
>>
>>10910427
Idiot
>>
>>10910453
AVGN said it the best. Don't even threaten me with that shit.
Time limits just kills the desire to explore in the first place.
>>
>>10910502
the game doesn't have a time limit.
>>
>>10910507
Yes it fucking does, you can reset it. But it undos a lot of things that makes the exploration worthwhile. It's a bad premise.
>>
>>10910510
Agree to disagree.
>>
>>10904302
its a usermod of an already bad game
>>
>>10910510
Im at the point where im done trying to explain to retards like you that the 3 day cycle is so manageable and elevates the game substantially while also not causing the same rushing and anxiety of average stage time limits that im just going to say there isn't one. You lose nothing going back in time, itt's not a time limit.
>>
>>10910529
It really is funny how hard people blow that shit out of proportion. Slowing the timer down gives you more than enough time to get shit done in any 3 day cycle.
>>
>>10910529
I'm going to be the asshole who sees both sides, yes it elevates the game and makes it unique but it also disrupts the stability and continuity that most people get from game worlds. Again that's pretty much the point so I don't think of it as a strike against the game but it makes it less accessible. I just think the sequence of puzzles subpar
>>
>>10904302
Majora's Mask with the ability to explore it at my own pace would be kino.
>>
>>10910538
you can explore at your own pace, you move your character in the game world and you explore it. and after 3+ hours when the 3 days end guess what? The exploration doesn't go away because ITS IN YOUR BRAIN YOU HAVE ALREADY EXPLORED IT. WHEN YOU CLOSE YOUR EYES THE WORLD ISNT GONE YOU FUCKING INFANT.

OoT has a time limit too its called your lifespan. Oh NO im so anxious I only have 80 years to complete this game I can't handle it im shitting and pissing myself why cant I explore the game at my own pace? Mom stop imposing a time limit on me by making me go to bed. I can't beat the shadow temple before bedtime im so anxious i cant stand it help MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
It's so weird how my posts are getting deleted almost instantly, the last was the exact same time the anon arguing about Majora's Mask deleted his. The dudes most definitely a janny.
>>
>>10904302
It's only worse because of the count-down gimmick. In the original game you could just take your time, fuck around, wander wherever and enjoy the world. In Majora, the clock introduces constant anxiety and FOMO so the player can never just relax and take in the game.
>>
>>10910529
It's about as manageable as the Temple of the Ocean King from PH.
>>
>>10910573
based
>>
>>10904302
i prefer OoT but i get why some people would like it more. more of a challenge and the field is better to navigate.
>>
>>10910510
what does it "undo"? you keep everything you get from exploring except for the quest itself.
>>
>>10910573
That's exactly my issue with Majora. It'd be more fun for me without the FOMO and anxiety. I'm tired of people telling me that their preferred way of playing the game should be mine.
>>
>>10910607
>except for the quest itself.
That's your answer, you fucking retard.
>>
>>10910573
>>10910617
Well look on the bright side: There's plenty of other Zelda games out there for you to play.
>>
>>10910632
Yeah, but none of them take place in Termina.
>>
>>10910629
so, nothing really then? you're just complaining for no reason? could've at least complained about it resetting the regions, that actually is annoying especially because if you're going for 100% you have to refight goht (the most annoying of them) like three or four times.
>>
>>10910640
Phantom Hourglass does
Oh wait, that game also has a time limit lmfao
>>
>>10910687
That doesn't even take place in Termina.
>>
>>10910560
Oh it's defiantly a Mod stirring up shit.
https://desuarchive.org/vr/thread/10904302/#q10910363
He deleted that post (mine) close to immediately as it was posted, while leaving his passive-aggressive snark posts up before covering his tracks.

He's done this before when I called him out for being a Zoomer using "mid" to describe a game's quality, he got insecure about it, then wiped away the argument.
https://desuarchive.org/vr/thread/9884768/#q9891928

He's half the reason why you see all those low quality console/flamewar threads up at any given time and partly why 6th gen's even allowed on here. He's quite honestly a smug, insecure little bitch.
>>
>>10910683
Anyone who uses
>10910165
>it's immature in design
as a critique without explaining what the hell that even means is immature in and of themselves.
>>
>>10910573
>>10910617
>Game is so immersive it filters scrubs with their own fear
MM really is a work of art.
>>
>>10910559
Don't tell them about Roguelikes.
They'd probably need therapy after a Game Over.
>>
File: 1576482833117.jpg (99 KB, 510x646)
99 KB
99 KB JPG
It's not really insane, just a contrarian neckbeard opinion.
>>
>>10904302
Yet another "this game bad but I won't elaborate so the thread takes off more" thread on /vr/. I will be hiding this
>>
>>10910427
Why would I waste time adding a period when it's clearly the end of my post? I'm not writing a book
>>
>>10911941
Was that really worth the bump?
>>
Whatever you think about the game itself, consider the fact that it was an experimental sequel to one of the most influential and acclaimed games in the industry at the time. When was the last time a big company would take a risk like that?
>>
Did every mask have a purpose? I can't remember but was there a filler one?
>>
>>10912281
Lots of them have only one use
>>
>>10908982
You used a guide and are lying about it.
>>
File: Congratulations.jpg (273 KB, 596x1058)
273 KB
273 KB JPG
>>10909071
It's not even that. With infinite time I would still not know how to progress with MM without a guide. It isn't set up to be intuitive at all. Like even if you accidentally figure out how to do all the random bullshit needed to solidify past the point where you can now do the repeating ocarina call to reset the 3 days, you then go down to the ranch and it's just a dead end if you don't look the answer up in a guide. You talk to the ranch girl and nothing happens. The game is telling you to go there and there's nothing to do. And that's one of the most introductory parts of the game.
Absolutely fucking NO ONE played through MM with no guides or answers read on what to do. If someone claims to they're just lying.
OoT you could of course figure out and beat without a guide. You might not figure out every last detail of the optional bonus shit you can do with OoT but you'll be able to beat it. You could even figure it all out under some hypothetical time limit system OoT never had.
But MM cannot be played that way.
>>
>>10904302
It's an uglier game than Ocarina. Clock Town looks pretty good, but outside that you have lots of garish environments that make no attempt at realism. This is also the game that introduces Tingle, a clown for toddlers who has a truly repellent character design.
>>
>>10912514
I agree it's ugly but that reminds me of my own different MM complaint: the four clock areas are too generic and similar to keep track of. They're horrible as a hub for the game since I keep forgetting which of the four is north, south, east, or west.
OoT in contrast is all distinct and memorable, and effortlessly so. I remember it all because it's a collection of substantial places you care about that each have their own character.
MM on the other hand feels like just a lazy mod of OoT assets and not real regions you're exploring. I can't keep any of it straight because it's like someone just puked up a pile of OoT derivative buildings and landscapes with no meaning to them.
>>
>>10904302
Wait till you realize that the theme song of Clock Town is "Take me out to the ball game"
>>
>>10910165
>baseless assertion
>frivolous analogy
>>
>>10910386
>People wanted OoT2 instead they got
Who gives a fuck what pissbaby american gamers want. We tell you what you want, nigger.
>>
>>10912325
Why are you samefagging your posts? We get it. You got filtered.
>>
>>10912618
You and me both, brother.
>>
>>10912751
It's clearly not samefagging. I replied to disagree with that post for one thing and for the other he double spaces between paragraphs.
>>
>>10909875
I haven't touched MM in like 8 years and I still remember how to do every sidequest in the game. And most of them are pretty simple, they don't require that many steps to be completed, if anything, only the Couple mask string of sidequests is that long that requires you to check the bomber's notebook frequently. It is a game for kids after all, and the first one with multiple handholding elements because it was Aunoma's first game as a director.
>>
>>10904302
Its better as a work of art not so much a game though its still great as a game.
>>
>>10912701
Good thing it's the truth
>>
>>10912813
The problem is the game is very indirect with its hints. There are many more parts than OoT where not reading carefully would fuck you over. Sometimes you just have to see a sleeping skeleton and then play that old "song of awakening" you got 3 dungeons ago. Talk about obtuse.
Following the bomber's notebook makes the sidequests a lot easier but not everyone even bothers to go back and redo the hide and seek minigame. The game goes over the heads of kids and dummies.
I think this is actually a point in favor for Majora's Mask for me but it makes sense that people object to that shit being in a Nintendo game. Then afterwards we got fucking Wind Waker and Twilight Princess.
Majora's Mask is very cool but it's also very messy and obviously rushed. It's fair to point that out. Ocarina's Dungeons do mog it relentlessly though lmao you cannot tell me with a straight face that Majora's Mask dungeons aren't largely tedious
>>
>10913168
I'll take that as a concession.
>>
>>10913197
>Sometimes you just have to see a sleeping skeleton and then play that old "song of awakening" you got 3 dungeons ago
if only there was a sign that highlights the phrase AWAKENING in big red letters right next to the skeleton and then pulling out the ocarina rewards your 1st grade intelligence with a success chime. how was i supposed to know???????
>>
>>10913237
But you're wrong

>>10913238
Sometimes pattern recognition just doesn't happen. Sometimes I just don't read everything and attempt to solve problems instinctually. I've always had that habit. Pretty sad that you seem to have so much pride in your self image of "never ever getting confused by adventure games"
>>
I think OOT is better.
I dont think MM is bad at all.
I dont think the 3 day cycle is the problem.
I will not read this thread.
>>
The real reason that Majora's Mask is confusing is the shear amount of possible interactions early on with relatively few success states. Combine that with heavily restricted abilities at the start and you get a very disoriented and "negative" feeling. It's like playing Gothic
>>
Or shenmure
>>
I love them both. I consider them 1 long game. They are the peak of Zelda.
>>
>>10913375
N64 Zelda is just something special. It's genuinely great for me. I don't like video games much at all anymore. Nostalgia doesn't save any of the games I use to play. But the n64 Zeldas are just fun to play and replay.
>>
>10913258
>Yeah, so what if I'm retarded. Bet YOU'VE never made mistakes in your life.
D'aww. Poor BABY...
No wonder why she prefers OoT and it's baby difficulty.
>>
>>10913528
Kill yourself faggot
>>
>>10913197
Is this bait? You don't need to redo the hide'n'seek minigame. While the password is RNG, once defined is the same for every cycle so you can use it again without issue, so you never need to do the minigame again.
And honestly, I'm an OoTfag, the hints in OoT are more obtuse than the ones in MM.
A big example are the scarecrows, you don't really know what they're for in OoT and requires you to learn the scarecrow song as a kid to actually use it as an adult, but in MM they flat out tell you about the double and slow time songs, and they actually explain what to do with the scarecrow song.
Again, MM has way more handholding elements than OoT, which honestly makes sense because in MM is easy to deviate from your main objectives but the game always rewards you in a way or another if you actually explore and take your time, that's something OoT not always do, fuck all those holes that only gives you rupees.
>>
>>10913567
I don't think the mm side content is that much more rewarding. Its like the ffx sphere grid of side quests. When you actually see what you wind up with its not much more than the grottos.
Of course thats a pure game play perspective no narrative or other stuff
>>
>>10913567
Oot scarecrows aren't mandatory so they can be as obtuse as they want...
>>
>>10913567
>You don't need to redo the hide'n'seek minigame
To get the bombers notebook you need to replay the hide and seek game in the n64 version
>>
>>10913567
>MM has way more handholding elements
Such as?
>>
>>10913574
I always skip doing hide n seek even the first time. I never bother with that junk. MM first cycle is cancer. And I don't need bombers book.
Its weird that they wanted MM to be the infinitely replayable Zelda according to interviews yet front loaded it with such a tedious intro
>>
One thing I like about MM is how masterfully it pulls off child friendly eerieness. Seriously how did they do it.
What other media pulls off this feeling so well? And the atmosphere with these weird unknowable forces and all this shit that seems impossible too
>>
>10913537
Lol threw in the towel.

>>10913573
>I-It doesn't count!
>>
>>10913567
>A big example are the scarecrows, you don't really know what they're for in OoT and requires you to learn the scarecrow song as a kid to actually use it as an adult, but in MM they flat out tell you about the double and slow time songs, and they actually explain what to do with the scarecrow song.

This is hugely positive thing about OoT that I think a lot of people miss now because later games 'spoil' these very mysterious elements that are supposed to be solid mysteries that you would otherwise only naturally uncover by experimenting with the game motivated through a high level of curiosity.
>>
It's comfy to find a thread that fights back against the new (and baseless) belief that MM is the superior game. Anyone who believes this is a contrarian for the sake of being contrary.

This guy said it best:
>>10909071
And this guy immediately misunderstood it because he has shit reading comprehension:
>>10909085

There are simply too many aspects of MM that you need a guide for. Many of the miniquests are impossible to do your first try on a blind playthrough. Time resetting mechanics are bullshit when it comes to dungeon progression. Mask usage to change forms is just tedious. The path to the Stone Tower where you have to play the song to make a double is just so tedious and obnoxious. Having to redo a 3-step side quest that takes place over multiple days because you messed up the final step of the quest? Piss off with that. That's not fun.

MM is just not a well-polished game. It's very obvious that the game could've spent another year in the oven, working out all of the kinks and expanding on the game in a meaningful way.

Just none of it is really... fun. It's just tedium after tedium. The atmosphere is great though.
>>
>>10914015
I don't think it's the superior game. Pitting the two games against eachother is stupid, both are good.
>>
>>10914021
>Pitting the two games against eachother is stupid
I disagree but that's ok
>>
>>10914064
Why do you feel the need to compare two notably different Zelda games to one another?
>>
>>10914097
>two notably different Zelda games
They are some of the least notably different Zelda games.
>Why do you feel the need to compare two notably different Zelda games to one another?
Why do you feel the need to defend these 25 year old games against it?
>>
>>10914163
I feel like in terms of general pacing and dungeon designs, they're pretty far apart. Plus MM has a greater focus on sidequests than OoT.
And because "my game can beat up your game!" arguments are dumb.
>>
>>10914165
Stop comparing games.
>>
>>10914168
Smartass.
>>
>>10914178
We're here to talk about video games, you fucking bore. It's perfectly valid to compare A to B, especially if B is an entry in the same series as A.

Robopon is very different from Pokemon, and yet comparing the two is valid. Discussion is valid. Analysis is valid.

If you want to NOT talk about video games, there are plenty of other boards you can visit. May I suggest /v/? You can go there and scream about trannies and Sweet Baby Inc and Soros until the cows come home.
>>
>>10914226
That's fine. But let's be honest here Anon, you don't necessarily want to compare or discuss the games, you want shit on one or the other specifically to annoy others. But if you'd like to discuss the two games, then I'm willing to get balls deep into talking about both of them.
>>
>>10911976
Nobody cares. They all just want to bicker.
>>
>>10912325
>>10909071
>>10907071
Anon, you're fucking stupid. Stop projecting your stupidity on everyone else. Plenty of people played and beat the game without a guide as a child, I know because that's what I did.

You're just wrong
>>
>>10914015
It's almost like you don't have to do everything perfect your first time...whoa...!!!

Also the other guy is right, you're an idiot that just wants to prop up your fave and tear down MM cause you're salty people weren't filtered like you were
>>
>>10904302
It was me.
>>
>>10914335
Look out everyone, this dude is insane!
>>
>>10914307
The idea of checkpoints that send you an hour back in time is stupid. I 100%'d MM on N64 and on GameCube, but even if I didn't, that doesn't mean I can't call out dogshit game design.

I watched AVGN's episode on Majora recently and I was pleasantly surprised to hear him echo my thoughts on a game that everyone nowadays holds up as some golden calf.

>>10914242
Maybe stop being personally offended when someone shares their opinion about a thing you like.
>>
File: 1666002518317885.png (111 KB, 659x692)
111 KB
111 KB PNG
>3D Zelda is an The Incredible Machine simulator
>2D Zelda is dead/rehash slop

we didn't know how good we had it
>>
>>10904302
Am I the only person who feels like Majora's Mask doesn't even really have a time limit? Like it technically does, but it seems more like a way for the developers to include little schedules for the NPCs than for some harsh restriction on the player. You can slow down time, you can instantly rewind time whenever you want, it's hardly a limitation at all. I can't remember ever feeling pressed by it.
>>
>>10914431
It's a tad stressful but that's also literally the point. Once you learn how to slow down time, which is easy to figure out considering the scarecrow straight up tells you it, you have more then enough time to do everything and the game is good at giving you little checkpoints that prevent you having to redo anything.

I'd say the only time it's ever annoying is with the zora eggs cause that can be stressful when you're a kid.
>>
>>10914447
Yeah but the problem is that you can negate a lot of the tension it should cause, but you can't really mitigate the annoyances it brings, so overall it's something that makes the game more annoying without making it any more challenging. It's a cool idea I guess, it's just not implemented very well.
>>
>>10914450
I don't really agree. Like I said, the game is good about giving you little checkpoints that you can reset a day from so you don't actually lose anywhere near as much progress as you're implying.
>>
>>10914450
>the annoyances it brings
Which?
That's how it always is with this game, both for detractors and fans. Vague handwaiving and lampshading toward universal concepts (time limit causes "Stress"; the game has "Atmosphere") with no real substance. Sometimes it's like nobody ever played it.
>>
>>10914454
>Which?
Having to wait for things (or having to play the song of double time/dance with the scarecrow multiple times in a row), the bank system, having to redo quest chains if you mess up certain parts. It's nothing earthshattering but it's just a little tedious sometimes.
>>
>>10914454
He's implying you end up repeating a lot of things over and over which isn't really true. Like yeah, you might screw up a sequence / cycle once or twice and have to start it over but like I said, the game is good at giving you checkpoints so you're not actually starting over from scratch. Rather that be knowledge (you know you have to go save the monkey now) to something practical like giving you the song for the temple or the owl statue to teleport.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (129 KB, 1280x720)
129 KB
129 KB JPG
>>10914397
>>3D Zelda is an The Incredible Machine simulator
lol fuck this is it exactly. it feels so fucking tedious. I just want to push switches and kill monsters. floating gears into place or gluing shit together sucks. when I see a shrine I'm like fuckkkk not againnn!
>>
>>10914007
I think there is a big difference between not spoiling details and not spoiling basic game systems that turn the experience far more enjoyable.
>>
>>10914007
>This is hugely positive thing about OoT
Not really? The scarecrow thing is barely even a thing in OoT and it doesn't add anything
>>
The problem stems from the player being an imperfect observer, you don't KNOW if the change in world state will branch to another change in world state down the line. The possibilities are overbearing and make it feel like you need to check an infinitely large set of areas, state machines, all at different times.
This game filters mathematicians
>>
>>10914431
I was like, 11 when it came out, and I think I can only recall maybe like, twice seeing the moon fall. I didn't have Internet except at the library, and I don't think gamefaqs even existed yet anyway. I definitely didn't have the money for a prima guide ( I got games twice a year, birthday & Xmas). I DID have a guide for Oot, only because I borrowed it from a friend. I was 9yo, sue me. Still got it, pic related.

It's funny seeing people criticize MM like >zomg you lose your progress if you mess up the cycle
Uh, yeah? Play any SNES games lately?
>Oh noes I died too many times on the last level of Star Fox and it made me start all over again at corneria!!
How about soulsbourne games these days?

Basically, if my mediocre 11yo gaming self could handle it, sounds like a skill issue if you couldn't. Git gud scrubs.
>>
File: 1711199009348234.png (2.62 MB, 1528x1336)
2.62 MB
2.62 MB PNG
>>10910573
>>10910617
There is no FOMO. It doesn't matter if you do something on your 2nd loop or your 30th loop. It's always going to be there. I wish I could study the minds of people who actually get stressed by Majora's Mask.
>>
>>10916717
The game stressed me out when I was 10 or so in 2000 but I grew up. So i would say the brain of the people that get stressed over the game are probably undeveloped and childish. Incapable of abstract thought.
>>
>>10914467
>The scarecrow thing is barely even a thing
why do you talk like a woman?
>>
>>10916728
>I'm smarter than you because I like a shitty game

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.