[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1714495997190993.jpg (428 KB, 1240x2008)
428 KB
428 KB JPG
Zoomers of /vr/, give it to me straight: Is TTYD's remake soulful?
>>
There is no soulful remake

No artistic merit ,not the same team...
>>
30fps
>>
>>10895687
FR/LG and HG/SS were soulful remakes and superior versions of their respective games
>>
>>10895707
I didn't play FR/LG but HG/SS is not a superior game

Awfully slow and bland dialogue
>>
>>10895682
I have ttyd on GameCube, and I have a retrotink 5x. is there any reason for me to pick this up?
>>
>>10895707

HGSS is one of the worst remakes ever.

>>10895885

No
>>
How does it compare to the SMRPG remake? I for one enjoyed the SMRPG remake, it was nice seeing full 3D versions of the prerendered 3D from the original, the new music was good, and the bonus content was fun. Sure it doesn't replace the original, but it was unique enough to stand on its own as an enjoyable experience. At least graphically, it doesn't seem like TTYD has as much room for a visual overhaul. Did they add new bosses or anything?
>>
>>10895931
>HGSS is one of the worst remakes ever.
You can't explain why that is in terms of things that actually matter. The phys/spec split, the expanded pokedex and movesets, the expanded pokegear, the new gym leader and E4 rematches with improved teams, pokeathlon, safari zone, restored kanto, higher NPC levels etc etc make HG/SS the definitive Johto games by far. Criticism is always dumb irrelevant subjective shit like "I liked the old music better" or "it's missing Soul™"
>>
>>10896043
The game is slow as f*ck

It's a chore to play

that a relevant criticism
>>
>>10896067
Gen 4 speed issues were fixed in Platinum prior to HG/SS' release
>>
>>10896082
No it's the 5G

These pre 5G ds pokemon games are extremely slow
>>
>>10895885
Portability.
>inb4 he mentions Steamdeck
Then you should've said it already! You lose!
>>
>>10895682
>30FPS
>Censorship from the International versions of GC TTYD now applies to all regions
>Script changes to make certain NPC dialog "less offensive"
Hell no, it's the opposite of soulful.
>>
File: Papermario.jpg (78 KB, 378x263)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
>>10895682
I don't wanna play that game I wanna play paper mario enters the thousands year door in ghetto land I wana play mario paper adventures 64
>>
File: Rogueport.jpg (63 KB, 600x473)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
>>10896712
Look at this place is this grove street from grand theft autos universe? stupid place, icky place, bad place for mean gangsters. Bleh!
>>
>>10896596
>less offensive
What was offensive in the original?
>>
>>10896723
The Goombas hitting on Goombella. They now have generic dialog.
Dialog about Vivian has also been altered.
>>
File: IMG_0484.jpg (431 KB, 1485x1000)
431 KB
431 KB JPG
>>
>>10896980
Oh sorry, meant for >>10896723
>>
>>10895881
Terrible opinion.
>>
>>10896980
Are they really this scared of offending people with mental conditions?
>>
>>10897016
Their localizers are the people with mental conditions.
>>
>>10895964
I quite like the graphics desu. They did away with the white outlines of post-sticker star, though now characters are more like cardboard cutouts so you can see the edges. Previews only go up to chapter 3 or something now, so no news on additional bosses or anything til it leaks. But yeah, the dialogue changes so far reek of sanitization. In a Mario game of all things.
>>
>>10895707
>FR/LG
the music is unrepentant dogshit compared to the original.
I wouldn't consider HG/SS a direct improvement either, but I like both it and the originals quite a bit, for different reasons.
>>
>>10895885
The retrotink changes nothing; the answer is no.
>>
>>10896980
I bet the twitter flag brigade are all supportive of these changes
>>
>>10896980
Society is collapsing
>>
>>10896723
A letter "N" graffitied in the alley pf the main area. They actually removed that, hilariously.
>>
>>10897110
They accuse the Goombas hitting on Goombella as rapists.
>>
>>10895682
>Zoomers of /vr/,
Kill yourself, and take the unilateral sticky-changing mod that invited you here with you.
>>
>>10897231
No fucking way
>>
>>10895687
It does happen occasionally anon. It is very very rare, but it does happen.

REmake is the only one that comes to mind. Love it or hate it, they actually really tried to make what the original could have been but wasn't due to budget constraints and hardware limitations. Not to say that the original was bad, or that REmake was better (I actually think they both stand up for their own reasons), but it was obviously an attempt to make the game actually scary and visually it is the best looking game in that format.
>>
File: IMG_0487.png (1.95 MB, 1909x871)
1.95 MB
1.95 MB PNG
>>10897236
I thought he was kidding, but it's true. lol
Keep the noose, but the N gets the boot.
>>
>>10896980
I'm a bozo and a loser and I find this offensive I'm gonna leave a bad review
>>
>>10897408
but the N stands for Nintendo
>>
>>10895703
This. DOA.
>>
>>10897016
Are they really this scared of offending their target audience?
You tell me
>>
I was actually thinking about picking this up as I sold my copy of TTYD years ago...but after reading this thread...probably not.
>>10896723
The amount of completely innocuous shit from a decade ago that would be censored today would astound you. We live in a completely different world.
>>
>>10896980
>>10897016
>Are they really this scared of offending people with mental conditions?
>>10897627
>I'm a bozo and a loser and I find this offensive I'm gonna leave a bad review
>>10897679
>Are they really this scared of offending their target audience?
>You tell me
They weren't when they made Lizard boy in Super Paper Mario who says "highly technical" and calls Peach a queen.

That was a giant feminist fuck you to nerd culture and anime culture, and it felt like a proto Ghostbusters 2016 moment except alot more aggressive.

I dropped the game at that point.
>>
>>10897750
Super Paper Mario was not targeting nerd/anime culture, they were targeting normies. Nintendo completely abandoned their loyal audience with the Wii.
>>
>>10897750
The nerd lizard in SPM is funny and a typical nerd trope that's been in media since the 80s. The other stuff is valid but you're being a schizo.
>>
>>10897756
>Society has been rotting since the 1980s.
Its been a lot longer than that, but I know.
>The other stuff is valid but you're being a schizo.
You can not name any other Mario that shat this hard on their target audience. One of the villains is a problematic fatso who objectifies and kidnaps women, and they characterize him as having all the same interests and fixations that Nintendo's target audience had.
Its been 5 years since I gave it a try, but I vaguely remember some line of dialogue from Francis that was supposed to make him sound like a whiny bitch for seeing his franchise try new things, which felt like an >inb4 of criticising the dumb gameplay of having "secrets" that are easily unlocked with the 3d click button gimmick.

https://www.mariowiki.com/Francis

SecuriMeow of the left door
"I like anime songs!" (『アニメソングが スキだ!』)
"Buying manga and promotional items makes me happier than eating delicious things." (『おいしいものを 食べるよりも マンガや グッズを 買う方が シアワセ』)
"Once I start collecting action figures, I can't stop until I complete the collection." (『フィギュアを あつめはじめると コンプリートせずには いられない』)
SecuriMeow of the right door
"I cover my comics neatly." (『コミックには きちんと カバーを かける』)
"The TV programs I watch most are of course anime." (『一番 よく観ている テレビ番組は もちろん アニメ』)
"I don't need good-looking clothes if I have T-shirts and jeans." (『Tシャツと ジーンズが あれば ほかに かっこいい ふくは いらない』)

The above text is from the Super Mario Wiki and is available under a Creative Commons license. Attribution must be provided through a list of authors or a link back to the original article. Source: https://www.mariowiki.com/Francis
>>
>>10897826
Nerd seethes over being made fun of, many such cases.
>>
>>10895707
Fuck no. HGSS are garbage.
>>
>>10897883
You still can't name a Mario game that shits on its target audience like this. This is a proto Ghostbusters 2016. You can not deny that, whether you call me a nerd, a shizo.
>>
>>10897904
>target audience
you keep saying this but i don't think you know what it means
>>
>>10895682
It's not out or leaked yet. How can we really know?
>>10895703
Oof, hopefully can be worked around emulated or patched.
>>
>>10895682
>GameCube runs at 60fps
>Switch runs at 30fps
absolutely absurd. I don’t care for the added visual emphasis on the paper aspect either.
>>
>>10897950
>framerate in a jarpig
still pathethic tho
>>
>>10898081
Mario RPGs are full of timed hits and fluid, expressive animations. It's a big loss.
>>
>>10895707
i hate remake fucks I hope you get bullied off this board
>>
>>10897936
He's essentially saying the quiet part out loud, implying Nintendo fanboys are "Chud/Alt-Right" Otakus, but in a highly technical way IE.) Autism.
>>
>>10897826
The fact that you're this bothered by Francis shows that you're the type of person who posts negative reviews online without playing the game.

I just thought it was funny, honestly this is a case of you getting angry about Francis because you identify with him. You're a fat loser who is terminally online, collects toys, and has no friends.

People like that should be made fun of.
>>
>>10897826
Get a fucking life. Imagine the nerd lizard character from Super Paper Mario triggering you this badly.
>>
>>10895682
I'll let you know when it gets released in a month's time or gets leaked.
>>
>>10897063
your watching heavily compressed videos if you think that
>>
File: Lance 4kidsified.png (226 KB, 1266x656)
226 KB
226 KB PNG
>>10895707
>FR/LG and HG/SS were soulful remakes and superior versions of their respective games
>HG/SS
PFFFFFTHAHAHAHA
Sinnoh faggots actually believe this.

GSC > optional Gen2 romhacks for replaying > trash > COCKSLAYER PRESENTS <= HGSS
>>
File: gen1 vs gen2 shapes.png (452 KB, 1238x700)
452 KB
452 KB PNG
>>10895707
HGSS is for poser faggots who want to fit it with older Pokemon fans who think the series died during OR after the DS era.
that's aside the fact it was all the Pokemon anime's fault because animators wanted easy-to-animate designs in the upcoming generation since 2
>>
>>10896980
>Clown
>Losers
Juggalobros....those leftist chuds at NoA are making fun of us now....
>>
>>10897234
If you emulated after the 90s, you're not a boomer.
>>
File: Spoiler Image (3.6 MB, 640x608)
3.6 MB
3.6 MB GIF
>>10898529
>>10898558
Who'd you think was behind the post anyway? kek
>>
>>10897826
Given the source and country of origin, I imagine it was meant as a tongue in cheek ribbing, rather than a genuine ribbing. It's amusing, likely self-deprecating/written by people not too different from the character himself, and the idea is you see some of yourself in him and laugh at the absurdity of your own actions when they're parodied.
>>
>>10899112
>rather than a genuine attack
>>
>>10895682
Still insane to me that fucking GameCube game discussion is allowed here because the "rule" of what games are "retro" is based on some arbitary year bullshit rather than the feel and look and limitations of hardware, Nintendo DS looks like a pocket Sony Playstation, so it's more retro than something like a Xbox 360 or PSP but due to the fucking retarded goddamn rules it doesn't fit in, yet I can talk about Twilight fucking Princess? /vr/ is fucked up.
>>
File: fag.jpg (97 KB, 574x708)
97 KB
97 KB JPG
>>10897826
Were you that guy on /v/ who made that post bitching about Francis being an "unfair portrayal of Otaku culture". did a fucking videogame character hurt your fee fees that much?
>>
>>10896043
posted from another thread
I hated how railroaded you were on the whole Lugia thing. Before you captured it if you wanted or not, but in the remakes there is a whole long story with cutscenes and all and you HAVE to capture it.
I liked how the originals you were going in this adventure on your own exploring whatever part you wanted, it was quite the open game. But in the remakes they tried adding story parts to make it more grandiose and made it more tedious.

Your post also reminds me of an interview that Cliffy B did once when Gears 2 had shipped. He couldn't understand why Gears of Wars 2 had a lower score across the board than Gears 1. How could it be? It was longer, it had improved graphics, he had spent longer and harder writing the scenario and characters, had more music, more and longer stages, more gamemodes.
Everything was "more" and better yet it was rated worse than the first game. He couldn't understand it.
Sometimes the amount of things and the quality of them comes together to form something great that just expanding the individual parts won't result in a better whole.
>>
>>10900208
I really hated things like that. The whole kimono girl "arc" is terribly tacked on, and the new friend character in Lyra/Ethan adds nothing to the existing scenario. The game sucks you off too much as the chosen one and ruins the out adventuring on your own vibe
>>
>>10897637
How long until they (America) remove N from the alphabet
>>
>>10900105
https://arch.b4k.co/v/search/text/Francis%20otaku/
Lol It could be.
Faggot thinks it's an "outdated" stereotype. Collecting is still heavily mocked/scrutinized, ESPECIALLY on /vr/, despite it being mainstream. It's like he's never seen the cancerous Söyjaks making fun of these people for being 'consoomers'.
>>
>>10895682
Not a zoomer. The problem I have with this remake is that it doesn’t fix anything. It’s just an excuse to repackage an existing game’s mechanics, level design, and story. Doesn’t help that they’re marketing with artificial scarcity and years of praise from fans (who are getting burned for the 5th time now).

>Is the game visually ugly?
No. TTYD is one of the poster children for GC games that visually stood the test of time. The art style is timeless.
>Are the mechanics archaic?
No. Paper Mario and TTYD were designed to be easily accessible.
>Does a remake appease fans?
No. They’ve been asking for a true TTYD successor for two decades.
>Is the original game rare?
Well, yes, but that was purposely done by Nintendo when they killed Virtual Console.
>Is the soundtrack bad?
No. The original tracks are simple and catchy, as opposed to the remake’s tracks that sort of fade into the background.
>>
Wait for hero mode hack instead of playing zoomer slop
>>
>>10901079
>ory. Doesn’t help that they’re marketing with artificial scarcity
they are?
>>
>>10901156
I think he's talking about the pre-order bonuses, specifically the GC slip cover for Canadians.

>>10901079
>>Is the original game rare?
>Well, yes, but that was purposely done by Nintendo when they killed Virtual Console.
GC games were never sold on VC.
The price blew up due to Covid while the retro crazy was happening, artificially raising the prices lf all vidya.
>>
>>10901040
True Otaku embrace the jokes.
>>
>>10901156
It’s artificial scarcity in the sense that TTYD was arbitrarily kept in the vault for 20 years.

>>10901185
>GC games were never sold on VC
Seems like GC games would have been on track to join the VC catalog this gen, though I would argue they should have joined sooner. My point isn’t that VC was perfect. It definitely needed adjustments (lowing prices as games aged, allowing purchased titles to carry forward to new consoles / giving a discount when buying a game you own for a previous console, etc.). The point is that killing VC entirely did a lot of damage to retro gaming, particularly for people who wanted to experience old titles legitimately (most people). That lack of access to retro games is a benefit to Nintendo when it comes to marketing remakes. Rubs me the wrong way.
>>
>>10901369
Based oldfag.
>>
>>10897826
>Posting the Japanese version instead of the English one
>Citing CC license on an anonymous image board
>Insisting Nintendo's target audience is geeky weebs like himself
No wonder you're insulted, you embody the depicted cariacature. Fucking lol
>>
File: IMG_0492.gif (644 KB, 461x498)
644 KB
644 KB GIF
>>10901410
Fair point, fair point.
>>
>>10901410
Wii U VC was a step in the right direction it's sad that they pulled out that hard. Wii VC was hilarious and full of shovelware from PC-Engine games nobody has ever fucking played.
>>
>>10901483
>Wii VC was hilarious and full of shovelware
Been a minute since I’ve browsed the Wii Shop, so my memory is fuzzy. Sounds a bit like the Switch Shop in that way, though kek.

I think the Wii VC deserves credit for the fairly reasonable prices of heavy hitter N64 games, though. It’s kind of crazy to think that games like Ocarina of Time sold for $10 when they were younger than TTYD (priced at $60) is now. I’m not saying a digital port of TTYD would have been $10 because it is undeniably more difficult to find a way to play it than it is for OoT. However, I don’t see any reason it should have been more than $20, and I’d consider paying that for a port vs paying $60 for a remake that adds almost nothing but subjective value.
>>
>>10895707
Funny how the reactions to this post are the complete polar opposite of /vp/
>>
File: genwun dex.jpg (431 KB, 1576x1218)
431 KB
431 KB JPG
>>10898737
>>
>>10895682
Is it 30fps to save battery?
>>
>MUH 30FPS
I love how all the antis are screeching this from the hills, as if 60fps matters in a babby RPG
>>
>>10897016
This isn't even the first time. The word "spastic" was removed in a PAL version of some Mario Party game or something like that, and that was nearly two decades ago
>>
>>10904940
you already made this argument earlier in the thread. it doesn't change the fact that cutting the framerate in half on better hardware is an embarassment.
>>
>>10904940
>Why is this game being remake vs ported?
>When did TTYD fans ask for a remake (vs a true successor)?
Sure, you can nitpick other people’s nitpicks, but no one addresses the elephant in the room. This isn’t the game people have been waiting for, meaning it is yet another fuck up for the series.
>>
>>10897950
>>10895703
Don’t most old time enjoy gameplay without smooth rate?
>>
File: 1691514594464032.jpg (52 KB, 601x602)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>>10904940
>paying full price for half the framerate
>>
Not sure why this thread was bumped. Discussion pretty much ended.
>>
File: baited.png (3.3 MB, 1126x1900)
3.3 MB
3.3 MB PNG
>>10897826
Their target audience is kids, you desk-bound troglodyte.
>>
>>10905004
Zoomer hands typed this.
>>
I can't play Japanese role-playing games unless they're in Japanese. I started reading DB in Japanese and the dialog is very different from the original. It sounds even more childish, but the different tone is important. So there's no reason to play JRPGs in English, you're missing out on a lot.
>>
>>10901079
This. There's nothing to remake in TTYD. And thanks to the censorship the only way to play TTYD is: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3092/
>>
>>10905219
same here
though that applies to anything japanese not just rpgs
the mere thought of consuming a translation makes my skin crawl
>>
>>10900102
Retro doesn't mean hardware limitations, you sperg. Retro means old. So it makes sense that older consoles are retro.
>>
>>10898717
I really don't get what pic related is supposed to complain about
>>
>>10905564
The cat ear boos are better
>>
>>10896726
>Dialog about Vivian has also been altered.
I really don't care as long as there's no gay shit about being transgender.
>>
>>10905856
you know considering how popular cat girls are in japan I'm surprised that the cat girl boos are censorship thing and not you know in the original
>>
Same opinion as SMRPG remake. If they add new content worth playing I'll get it. SMRPG remake never did that so I doubt this one will.
>>
I have a BVM and the original game on gamecube with component cables.

Any reason to snag this?
>>
>>10910556
theres no reason to ever buy a remake. Purchasing remakes is actually bad for the gaming industry because it tells companies like nintendo that they should allocate money away from new games and spend it on old games people already own.

So I guess yeah if you hate video games then buy it.
>>
>>10904941
I guess I have to hate that Mario Party game and say that it was ruined by commie leftists now.
>>
>>10910556
Portability, but that's really it.
>>
>>10897904
>this is the proto Ghostbusters 2016
Imagine saying this without a hint of irony lol lmao even
>>
>>10895682
its based
>>
>>10901040
>despite it being mainstream
it isnt
>>
>>10901483
>full of shovelware from PC-Engine games nobody has ever fucking played.

pc engine is good though
and the american VC didnt even have half as many pce games as the japanese vc
>>
>>10895881
GS was like that too.
>>
>10916208
Retard.
>5.4mil views
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jljy8KtoXOU
>>
>>10916209
I never said the PCE was bad it just didnt have many good games, I am not a fan of Neutopia.or Moto Roader
>>
File: file.png (621 KB, 753x594)
621 KB
621 KB PNG
>>10907332
>>
>>10895682
I like how it looks like a diorama now

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.