[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/toy/ - Toys

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_9034.jpg (198 KB, 828x817)
198 KB
198 KB JPG
Mezco seems to be mostly disliked here, it also could have its own general but never has. I’ve always thought most of their figures look pretty good, I still think they have the best looking classic Superman. Sometimes the cloth seems a little too big, but most of the time it’s not that bad.
>>
>>10967926
Too Mego.
>>
Rewind 10 years, this board is literally the only people on earth that gave a rats ass about their first release, DKR Batman. Reminder he was only $45, and is still to this day one of the best figures they ever made. The brand got too ‘cool’ and too expensive for this board and now they are sour grapes. There are many reasons to dislike Mezco, as a brand or their figures but this board’s hate predates those issues.
>t. Former Mezco collector
>>
File: 1697672423744.jpg (147 KB, 1242x1239)
147 KB
147 KB JPG
>>10967926
Exorbitant pricing, shitty photoshop in their promo images, cloth outfits that will never look good in the scale, 2 year plus long delays, lackluster engineering, gimmick shit like LEDs that no one would ever care about, nonsensical character and IP selection etc.
>>
>>10967926
price availability and they look like this
i dont hate clothes goods btw these just dont look good
>>
File: seriously tf.jpg (53 KB, 343x512)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
>>10967937
ANGERY FACE
>>
>>10967937
>>10967940
It's supposed to be a 60+ year old Batman here. It's why he's got old-man face.
>>
>>10967937
>>10967940
Oh yeah I forgot the shitty proportions that make every character look like an angry midget
>>
File: supes.png (447 KB, 346x724)
447 KB
447 KB PNG
>>10967926
While the promotional shot looks decent, the end result leaves a lot to be desired.
>>
>>10967927
Not sure about the contrarians here but I got really fed up with their ridiculous delays. You preorder a year out and then they drag their feet an additional two years. If you're a seller, by the time you get your figures, all of your customers have moved on.

Plus I'm still pissed over them releasing Sulu but cancelling McCoy and never doing Scotty at all. It's very rare for me to order one anymore and it's always a one-off like Indy.
>>
mezco be like
>>
>>10967944
They look homemade, and not in a good way.
>>
File: hq720.jpg (60 KB, 686x386)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
>>10967926
I think that they're overpriced for what they are. I wanted to get their Doom, and it'd cost me 250€ with shipping and taxes. And he didn't look that much better than the Legends. The armour was far simpler and the cloak/tunic was too barebones. For ~300€, either from a local reseller or if I use a Chinese shop and save some cash, I can buy a Hot Toys figure. Sure an Iron Man will cost me 500€ and the rooted InArt Paul Atreides is 550€, but I can see the quality there.

One:12 is a middle point between 6" figures you get to fiddle with and supposedly museum/posing quality figures, but while the price is extravagant, the quality isn't there. Proportions are fucked, the clothing's baggy, materials aren't anything to write home about, the figures are prone to breaking, the accessories are usually BS they throw in to raise the price, the designs are also pretty flaky, and you're left with a figure that satisfies nobody.

You buy a Marvel Legends for 20$ and it's a good enough representation of the comic book look. You can play around with it and put it in a pose or two. If it breaks, it's just 20$. Mezcos are now upwards of 100$, not counting shipping and whatever else. It's too much for what they're offering, and in no way are they good display pieces. Apart from being too small to pull it off, they're just not made for that. So why not just shell out a few cash and go for 1/6th if you're interesting in just the displaying? True you're slave to the MCU if you want comic figures, but it's not like Mezco's making a comic accurate Namor or Kang anytime soon.

They're just "useless" in a sense. I'd pay 80€, maybe even 100€ for some. And a lot of them do look cool. But I have no use for them. I wanted to buy a few of my favourites in a good enough quality to pose, while also being able to play around with them. They can't compare to my 1/6th and I can't just pick them up and play with them, so what's the point? I'll just buy more 1/6ths.
>>
>>10967926
I am new to Mezco but bought your pic'd Superman and their newest Recovery suit.

The cloth outfits really work for some figures, then really don't for others. Sometimes their faces can look dusty or powdery.

I'm on the Mezco train and really want to get their Reeves SM and their golden age BM.
>>
Mezco was at the cutting edge 7 years ago with DKR Batman being a big deal, but quickly rested on that and tried to go against what made that figure popular by doing the "Mezflair" redesigns with more lines and raised areas, basically attempting to do movie-esque costumes. The problem is that the scale didn't allow for it,
A bunch of Chinese companies have taken the cloth figure angle and done it better, and cheaper. They managed to actually downscale Hot Toys type high end 1/6 figures with articulation.
Right now Mezco seems to have retreated into doing 60's looks. Which is ok but not quite what I wanted either. I'd prefer the 90's-2000's take on the classic looks where the colors/style is a bit more dynamic(think Bagley Spider-man vs John Romita)- I'm sure there's a market for the 60's stuff but it just makes them feel more like Mego.
>>
mezco occasionally makes really good stuff
their conan and tmnt are fantastic
green and white ranger are definitely the best in the scale
the dick tracey they are doing looks like it stepped right off the pages
ive heard good things about their popeye too
they seem to falter with capeshit though, and unfortunately, that is most of their output
>>
File: s-l400.jpg (15 KB, 400x296)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>>10967926
they're marvel legends with soft goods and accessories
their articulation really seems to be the worst,
the amazing spiderman mezco figure doesn't even have basic stuff like butterfly joints, toe-joints, or even an ankle pivot.
i wouldn't say i LOVE them but i think they're alright and they do leave alot to be desired.
Their scaling also isn't that good with the "one:12" being a little misleading.
they're not 1/12, not even oversized 1/12 like ML closer to 1/10 in alot of cases with normal 6" characters being 6.5" inches
but their biggest and i do mean biggest issue are their white human heads. just look at (again) the amazing spiderman...
ew.
>>
>>10967975
having been to the clothes toys general, i've learned to stay away from most mezco wannabes, thanks to the bodies being so fragile and also because most of use smaller bodies for 1:12. I like for them to blend in with my other lines, like ML, Mafex, Mezco, etc.

And since a lot of them are Chinese, they're waaay too pricey, especially considering the clothes can look as bad as NECA's MEGO wannabe figures
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (212 KB, 800x951)
212 KB
212 KB JPG
>>10967926
Not worth it for the price. All their figures look like manlets and they (do their own thing) on some figure designs like pic related. No one who likes Aquaman would buy this and the only people who did had already had OP and one of their Batmen and just wanted to "complete the set".
>>
I like their in-house stuff and IPs that play to their strengths, but their capeshit is usually outstripped by other manufacturers in all areas but accessory counts. As others have mentioned, price increases, massive lead times on product and their seeming desire to remain a bougie boutique brand.
>>
>>10968215
Mezco absolutely won't fit well with anything else though, not sure what your point is with that. Something like that Rorschach slots much easier with Mafex than any Mezco. the smaller bodies are why they work for those lines.
As far as pricey...I don't get that either. some can hit the $100 range, but so can Mezco and the cloth is much cheaper looking on average with mezco.
>>
>>10967926
The two on the left, which are the closest to neutral heads, still suck ass. Would it kill them, if they won't make a smiling head, to have a truly neutral head?

Also these: >>10967935
Especially the delays.
>>
File: professional snake.jpg (619 KB, 750x913)
619 KB
619 KB JPG
>>10968354
Just saying, the cloth general filled me with no confidence for any of the wannabe lines, especially since they'er so overpriced and undersized.

I've seen some really cool shit, but the actual figures are so disappointing. Either they break easily or the clothes turns out way shittier than the prototypes.

>slots much easier with Mafex
Most Mafex figures are as big as Marvel Legends. It's only lines like Figuarts and Figma where they might be undersized for 1/12.
>>
>>10967926
early days were nice, but now the brand has become synonymous with fomo, questionable qc and dogshit customer service. I do give them credit for creating a very successful toyline based on original characters, something thats super hard to do these days.
>>
>>10967930
Their first releases were excellent. I had three different versions of DKR Batman, I liked that figure so much. Paid out handsomely when I flipped them after getting the Mafex versions, I can tell you that much. I still have three versions of their Judge Dredd, including the black-and-white exclusive. Dredd and the Lawmaster bike were designed directly in conjunction with one of the regular 2000AD artists. Mutant Leader and the rest of the DKR figures looked like they’d stepped out of the comic. Spock was incredible too, like a half-size Hot Toys figure. Then the MezFlair era began, and they got really high on themselves with artificial scarcity and catering to scalpers to portray a “premium” image and drive FOMO. When the comic-accurate version of Punisher was locked to their US webstore and scalped in seconds, I was out.
>>
>>10967926
I liked them just fine when they were $65-$90. But when their average regular release is $120+ $20 shipping is too much for what you get. Plus I'm not s huge fan of their shitty attempts at Photoshop for their promo pics. Super deceptive. Also their QC can be iffy at times.
>>
>>10967961
Also this. Their delays are worse than even Mafex.
>>
I still want their Planet of the Ape gorillas.

Fucking Disney fucked up the Fox licensing.
>>
>>10967935
I really like their IP selection but I’m biased to horror stuff
>>
>>10967926
I personally don't like pijamas in my figures, not that I would buy them given the price anyway.
>>
>>10967967
Hell, for those who like customizing their MLs they could also remove the plastic cloth from Doom and add fabric ones, they are like 15 bucks iirc.
>>
>tease Doc Ock in 2022
>mention fuck all else about it for another 2 years
>probably show it again at SDCC 2025
>pre order will be in 2027
>delayed release will be in 2029
>>
>>10967935
All of this, but also, a lot of their bodies tend to look sort of chunky and stocky, which gives everyone a real 5'3" look.
>>
>>10967926
I don't hate them. They don't make anything I want so I ignore them.
>>
>>10968313
>All their figures look like manlets
This also, it really does look very squat.

I'll have to go and look at the scales on some videos when I want a quick laugh.
>>
>>10967926
Most of them age like shit with desintegrating materials and shit and also have terrible proportions.
>>
What gets me is we finally get a Western company doing import-tier "premium" figures with a budget to match and instead of doing actually good figures that could compete with the likes of Bandai, they do reused stumpy bucks covered in articulation-restricting, terrible looking overscale soft goods. Not to mention their often awful QC (remember Iron Man?) and obsession with cramming in shitty gimmicks that add nothing to the actual figure, like Darkseid being made of fucking polystone (to say nothing of his pathetic articulation and sloppy paintwork for ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTY DOLLARY DOOS).
>>
>>10967975
>Inkblot

Based, one of the coolest figs I own.
>>
>>10969174
That RORSCHACH you idiot.
>>
this looks like shit
>>
After years of bait and switch, figures falling apart, QC issues, and increasing price points, fuck em.

They also don't commit to fleshing things out. They'll go part way, but never all the way.

I bought a ton of these in the first few years. No more.
>>
>>10969268
>That LOLSCHACH you idiot, la.
>>
>>10969287
You and me brother. I have ,maybe 20 or so of these things and while I initially loved the line the first few years, they've gone so far up their own asses at this point I just can't support them anymore. The last figure I got from them was Christopher Reeves Superman and, yes, I absolutely adore the figure and think it's legit one of their better ones,and don't regret getting it, I absolutely don't think it was worth the price. Especially since I've taken the base out exactly once, took some photos, and packed it back up and have never touched it again.
>>
File: review_3zdredd_10[1].jpg (220 KB, 800x968)
220 KB
220 KB JPG
>>10967967
This is a fair assessment. I've got a small handful of Mezco figures (Popeye, Space Ghost, Dredd), but the quality just doesn't match the price point. Especially these days.

Even when compared to other cloth 1:12s they're not great. I picked up Mezco's Dredd only because I also got their Lawmaster, but I honestly prefer to have ThreeA's Dredd on it, even though he's a little smaller. The difference in quality between the two is pretty stark, and it's even more noticeable in person.
>>
>>10969619
Should probably point out in case it wasn't obvious, Mezco's on the left, ThreeA on the right.
>>
>>10969619
>>10969621
Mezco’s looks more comic accurate
>>
>>10969619
is 3a's the horrible pleather material? How's it holding up? I wanted to get their Dark Judges, but realized they might just start flaking after a couple of years.
>>
>>10969631
ThreeA's just looks better, even if it may be less accurate. It looks more well proportioned and shit, like the hands are a reasonable size and all the gear fits him better. Mezco's looks awkward as shit, like he's wearing his dad's gear and it doesn't fit right. His hands are PUNY, and there's something weird about the headsculpt. Like the mouth isn't defined enough, and there isn't enough room for the bottom of his nose. Mezco's pleather suit looks awful, and the huge silver zipper looks cheap. ThreeA did a good job going understated with the zipper, and idk what their suit is made of but it looks a hell of a lot better.

I don't know how either of these are in hand mind you, I didn't buy em. I'm just calling it like I sees it.
>>
>>10967926
It was great when they were like $60, paying 100+ for a guy wearing what looks like pajamas is an absolute fuck no. I hope something awful happens to Mezco to the point where they humble themselves and reconsider their business model.
>>
Inbé subjectanon spergs out at everyone criticizing this brand.
>>
>>10967930
>Reminder he was only $45
They appear to have been $65. But still great, I still have two versions of them.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-DK0cVDJ8vwRHNt2dLH-aW3BTTHVLzHxoLhp5tq6KTk/edit#gid=0
>>
>>10967926
they're expensive and they look worse than Megos
>>
The only Mezco I own is The Shadow and honestly I think it was well worth the price, not really interested in their other stuff, especially not those $400 TMNT that look like wrinkled scrotum.
>>
I think the Rumble Society figures are cool. I enjoy a line of original figures without ties to any concrete lore or series. Reminds me of the days when people would be very proud of their 3A collections. But for what they are, as other anons have said, it's just not worth it.
>>
>>10967926
I just don't collect marvel or DC stuff that often so I just don't talk about it. Most people who do usually prefer plastic figures to clothed ones. The only Mezco I ever got was a black suit Spider-Man that had two left feet and his ankle joint broke while I had him displayed. It sucks they made it impossible to get into the figure without tearing the seam of the suit and fucking up the suit material. Their Spider-Men arnt exactly the greatest from what I've seen..
>>
I wish they'd rerelease some stuff.
But most of their figures I do not care for.
>>
>>10967926
After 1989 Batman
Never fucking again
>>
>>10967926
I fricking love toys!!!!!
>>
>>10969104
I always used to say Japanese stuff was overpriced and they used gimmicks to justify these prices. Now I can see thats not quite right. The Japanese have ingenuity and genuinely novel presentation and execution in spades. to call this gimmicky would be reductive when its western companies who are actually gimmicky when they try too hard to be special or premium. Not just Mezco but all their deconstructive media, cringey metal modern artwork and ironic reddit philosophy.
This just makes me realize import figures are true function and form perfected.
>>
>>10976010
Me too
>>
>>10969619
I also have this Dredd and it's the only Mezco i regret of the 11 i own, as soon as i get my Hiya Dredd i'll sell the Mezco.
>>
>>10975996
They really should have just stuck with their regular engineering instead of trying to TBLeague the fucking thing.
>>
I picked up about two dozen of them over the years and they ranged from absolutely stunning to complete garbage. They're wildly inconsistent, and some of the ones that look great had lots of issues with holding accessories or little finicky bits that would fall off if you touched it wrong. The choice of various thin pleathers that flaked and cracked and peeled after a year or two was also a huge bummer on many figures, especially where they really really didn't feel necessary. I've sold all but 5 or 6 of them at this point, but the ones that I have that I really love- the first Conan, Baron Bends- are absolutely amazing. I also think in general they look better in person than in photos, as the macro details picks up flaws that really don't come across in real life at all.
>>
>>10981940
This mostly tracks with my experience. I'm pretty over the line, I will keep a small handful of my favorites but I think they really ran it into the ground.
>>
>>10981940
Thirding this. I have a number of them and they do range from absolutely magnificent to outright dog shit. The line is to inconsistent to be charging what it does.
>>
king conan will be my first mezco. the only thing that sold me was the unbearded head because i unfortunately missed out on the first two. i am still undecided on the mask, but he is the only mask figure out there. from an outsider, it's mostly just the weird proportions that put me off. just looks like somebody took a 7 inch figure and literally squished it into a 6 inch one.
>>
>>10982808
There’s a third party Mask if you want the movie look, though I’m not sure when it comes out. Might have already.
>>
>>10981940
>look better in person
Holy cope. A photograph is literally just capturing what exists, especially a static object. If your eyes are too old and tired to see the flaws in a ~$100 product, then that's on you
>>
>>10982849
Don't be ridiculous. It's the same principle here. These 1 inch tall diaclone drivers look great for what they are. If this was a picture of a 6 inch figure it would be torn to shreds "soft details! Didn't even paint the eyes wtf" etc that would be criticized even as a bargain store toy. It's no different here, with these 1/12 figures having the extra accessories and design ethos of 1/6th scale figures that we didn't see much of until the last 6-8 years.

In macro photos you do see a lot more flaws, like for example in most toy photography you keep a very low angle to make the toys look more realistic and lifesize. The low angle combined with the close up often lets you see mezco seams which are often in the upper thigh areas and don't look good at all. But IRL I'm not usually holding the figure up within a few inches of my face and looking into it's crotch.

I said what I said because there were many times I passed on a figure because I didn't think it looked good in the photos, only to later see them in person at a con and think it looked a lot better.

I was somewhat critical in my post, because I'm pretty critical on the line overall. But it's generally because even in the good looking figures there's a lot of engineering and QC issues that are too annoying or glaring for the figures to be enjoyable, not over how most of them look on the shelf.
>>
>>10982938
Not even talking about detail or fidelity, they look shitty cause of their thick cloth suits that allow almost no muscle definition to show through and stocky proportions.
>>
>>10982954
Crop it up to different opinion then I guess, because I'm not coping when I say I dislike 80% or more of the figures I've picked up and wound up selling them all shortly after their arrival due to dissatisfaction with various issues. I would never have bought any of them in the first place if I didn't like how they looked.
>>
>>10982938
>>10982959
if you haven't realized it yet, you're in a troll thread and talking to a shitposter.
>>
>>10983757
I mean probably, but >>10982954 is actually all true, those are some of the most common Mezco complaints after the price. So if this is indeed a troll thread, they do actually have some talking points.
>>
>>10982938
That visor is absurdly shiny, is it vac-metalized? I didn't know they could even do that on such a small part.
>>
>>10969631
>Mezco’s looks more comic accurate
Gonna need citation for the 2000 A.D. issue where Dredd looks like he was jammed in a leather tube sock complete with a popped collar. Fashion like THAT should land you in the cubes for thirty.
>>
Meh I like Mezco
>>
>>10987077
>Mehzco

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.