[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: the-kings-speech.jpg (31 KB, 640x427)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
Especially when it comes to dialogue.
>>
Just b urself
>>
Professional speech training. News anchors do it. Politicans do it. Actors do it. Public speakers do it. Actual stutterers (can) do it. People like Bruce Willis are stutterers. The overcame with the right speaking and breathing technique. In fact, i did the very same thing. Used to stutter real bad. Got training. Now its gone and im speaking fluently without issue. The excersises they do with you arent even hard.
>>
online via text
>>
>>92735343
To elaborate a bit in case it might help some anon out, boiled down the most important lessons when dealing with stuttering are

>speak slow
Something i never noticed was how fast i was speaking. And the faster you speak, the more likely it is to screw up. So put in some conscious effort to speak slow and clear

>breathe through the stomach, not the lungs
Another thing i rarely noticed. Beside using your stomach, there are further stomach breathing techniques that allow you to continue speech without the need to take a breath. Might want to search for some public speaking breathing videos, for i cant quite explain it here

>jump the letter that troubles you
In my case, stuttering came most often when having to pronounce words with S. Thus, the trick is to not really focus on the S in the word im saying, but the letter behind it. Like if i try to pronounce stuttering, im not saying Sturringer, im saying sTuttering. or stUttering. With the focus on the T or the U, the problem is more often than not circumvented.
>>
imagine not being able to talk to other people, lmao
>>
When I speak normally I often take breaks in sentences to make sure I phrase myself correctly. I just encapsulated this into my roleplay. When in real life I would take a moment to think, pause, or say "uhhhh"; my characters will take a drink, have some part of their behaviour described "their brow furrows", or they'll say "UHHHHH". Works fine for me, at my table we don't make any assumptions that characters are theatrical with longwinded monologues or turns of phrase ready to be spat out at a moment's notice. They speak just like you or me with naturalistic dialogue, and sometimes they forget things or stumble. This is of course all a patchwork for the bigger rule which is:

>Learn how to do public speaking by looking up sources on good habits, and practising

A lot of my not being a stuttering mess came from presenting work at university and later gaining the self-confidence of being an old cunt where my passive presence inspires fear and respect in people under 20. Little do they know I am still as much of a bumblefuck as I was when 15. As with most things in life you adjust your expectations based on your own abilities, then you aim to improve, and before you know it you're doing all the things you wanted to do initially but with none of the performance anxiety.
>>
coke
playing gets pretty expensive this way, but instead of buying handbooks, minis or food you can just use coke and homebrew rules on the spot
>>
>>92735286
You can use AI programs that will write and speak for you. There's really no excuse to be inelegant when you can synthesise the perfect speech by the perfect actor.
>>
>>92735553
You can use an AI program to fuck your wife for you too. Get out of here.
>>
>>92735590
I would recommend you ask ChatGPT next time you need someone to come up with a zinger for you.
>>
>>92735590
rly?
>>
You don't have to be a pro voice actor. Just explain what your character says in third person.

If you want lines join the theater and rehearse them.
>>
>>92735286
I dont know. I just try until i get uncomfortable and then i stop. I think that slowly im getting better
>>
>>92735294
dont b urself
b ur character
>>
>>92735286
Slow your speech. Make use of breaks of silence. Pre-rehearse some general speeches/monologues, as it will be easier to cherry pick bits of them from memory to make something new up in the moment. Don't be afraid to rely on tropes.
>>
>>92735540
Seems to be a common trait among fa/tg/uys. Along with poor hygiene. I watched a YouTube video today that talked about how this girl quit a Yu-Gi-Oh tournament because she couldn't stand the smell from other players. I mean seriously, how the fuck do people not take a shower before leaving the house? I would feel super self-conscious and ashamed if I thought I smelled bad in public.
>>
>>92736784
Sounds like she was successfully gatekept.
>>
>>92735286
no idea it just comes naturally to me although I guess I tend to be a very... dramatic roleplayer so I think that helps
>>
>>92735286
exaggerate and go overtly dramatic and theatric
>>92735343
Bruce Willis is demented, no speech coach can fix that. I'm not sure anyone can fix that.
>>
>>92735286
>give character stutter
>the entire party thinks he’s adorable and wants to protect him
Lean into your strengths.
>>
File: 4_bUy2xgp.png (333 KB, 729x293)
333 KB
333 KB PNG
>>92735286
Don't be yourself, be someone else. Like Alfred.
>>
>>92737649
This. Play some shy girl character or a human-sheep shifter.
>>
>>92737711
you can do better than that - play mute character, communicate only in written notes (and maybe whistle for emergency)
>>
>>92735286
Do what >>92735662 wrote. Instead of giving a speech, just say that your character gives a speech. Think of it the same as how you don't necessarily need to describe what grip your character uses when they swing their axe; the important part is how they're approaching a problem and the general way they're trying to solve it. When you get more confident then you can try more IC stuff.
>>
Have you tried not being a stuttering stammering faggot? Hope this helps.
>>
>>92737645
He is now, ironically that's why he came out of retirement so he could make a pile of money for his kids.
>>92735343
James Earl Jones also had a stutter that lead him into acting, and voiced the most iconic villain in movie history.
>>
>>92735432
>Something i never noticed was how fast i was speaking.
That's real difficult because most people would take advantage of your slow speech and interrupt you. Speaking slow might be fine in official circumstances where people are forced to let you finish, but in an informal situation you're fucked.

It's especially bad if you grew up in a rude society where people have no mutual respect and speak over each other all the time. You quickly learn to talk like a goddamn machine gun to communicate as much of your thoughts as possible before somebody inevitably interjects. It ain't easy to just shake off this habit, not any easier than to deal with any other childhood trauma.
>>
>>92735286
Beer helps. So does a hit of T for some energy.
>>
Talking in third person instead of first person can help.
"Roleplaying" means that you make your character act in a way consistent with their personality, knowledge and beliefs. Doing a voice (i.e. acting) is not required.
>>
>>92735286
Stammering isn't a problem normal people have, nobody in my group has ever had this issue.
>>
>>92736784
defeating an opponent before they even sit at the table is peak gamesmanship
>>
>>92735286
Easy. Just don't be an incel Chan sperg.
>>
>>92736784
Just get some mint ointment and rub it under your nose (not in!)
>>
>>92736784
>how the fuck do people not take a shower before leaving the house
Actual autism. These retards will do nothing that doesn't give them instant gratification. Being clean doesn't tickle their malfunctioning retard brain the right way so they just will not do it.
>>
>>92737875
Certainly its a hurdle to take, but that still more than nothing. And obviously there is a degree between talking slow and "talking slow." Try getting to a healthy spot of "slow" like politicians talk in some talk show. Its slow, but not nessecaritly slow in a way that it seems off. And once you got that covered, you might try to slowly speed things up again, with the confidence of stutter-free slow speech backing you up.
>>
>>92735286
Back in high school my hot AP Lang teacher took me aside, looked me in the eye and said "stop thinking like a girl"
Among other things.
But that was the important part that stuck with me and really helped me in all creative endeavors.
>>
Talk in the shower. Make up a question, like really imagine a question or argument that you HATE. Something you're passionate about, like science, politics, RPGs, or anything else you can talk about ad nauseam. Imagine the most smug person asking the dumbest and most uninformed question about this thing and asking it to you. Then, out loud, go on a rant explaining to them why they are wrong. Every stinking detail. Even imagine their rebuttals and smack them down. It seems like a real wank, but it's a great way to practice thoughtful speech. I did this because I stuttered really badly until my teenage years, and now I speak pretty confidently.
>>
>>92735286
I'm going to assume you don't have an actual speech disorder.

The more you do it the better you get. When you're new it's best to steal a character you like from fiction (TV, movies, games) and just copy their pattern of speech. As you get more practice and more familiarity with different styles of speaking you'll fall into a character more easily and can synthesize a new character's voice.

It usually takes some warm-up time each session, but eventually I just start thinking, speaking, and acting as my character and then it flows very easily. But that is after 20 years of roleplaying. It wasn't that easy at first.

A couple other thoughts:
1. Do not try to get very detailed or imaginative if you are not an actor/voice actor. Come up with the most basic stereotype you can and copy it. Your character may need to have a fairly one dimensional way of speaking at first, but you can pepper in other quirks that are unrelated to speech to give your character flavor without complicating your roleplay.

2. Assume no one cares how good or bad you are at roleplay. For the most part no one cares about your acting, they actually care way more how your PC effects theirs. If your character is being a dumbass and getting them killed they'll be mad. If you are stuttering a bit, they don't care (or even empathize). Just remind yourself of that if you feel nervous about speaking.

3. The more comfortable you are with the group you play with the easier it will be to roleplay. If people are being assholes about roleplaying you need to find a different group or have a frank conversation with the DM about what the standards are. As a DM, I'm happy to shut down people who make fun of others' roleplaying very quickly. Most groups accommodate a variety of roleplaying styles within the party and people don't need to conform to one way of doing it.

MOST IMPORTANTLY: FUCK CRITICAL ROLL. Do NOT try to copy them. You are setting yourself up for failure. Play the game how YOU want.
>>
>>92735286
My opinion is that the majority of people could be eloquent talkers, and the problem is that our shitty post-modern social conditioning has made it so people can't have healthy conversations, and aren't able to get the muscle memory down really. Most people are just waiting to talk and giving you cues that they want to start talking. Most people never actually listen to the person they're talking to. When you have the opportunity to converse in a healthy manner, so you talk and get what you want to out without fear of being interrupted, you will surprise yourself with how eloquent you can be.

Think I'm joking? When was the last time you talked to anybody who talked even half as good as these Brit kids?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lopanj5Oyh0
>>
>>92737709
Damn, Alfred got some Rizz. Sauce?
>>
>>92737709
>>92742083
>>92738026
Actually good advice
>>
File: 1695055916894260.webm (533 KB, 1080x1080)
533 KB
533 KB WEBM
>>92735286
I did a lot of voice acting when I was younger. Playing another person with a different voice comes pretty naturally. For someone with no experience do this. Write a simple script. Something your character would say at a particular point. Then just repeat it over and over. Highly recommend recording it. Play it back and keep at it until you are genuinely happy with the bit. Even if it is just a few sentences. You tend to be your harshest critic because you can tell every single micro mistake you made. Most listeners cannot. Once you are satisfied with it everyone else is likely to as well.

Practice a few times with some ad lib. Eventually it will become natural.
>>
>>92738445
this is also the key to a successful thread on 4chan that reaches the bump limit
>>
>>92735653
Since I began using chatgpt to create explicit erotica, I completely stopped having sex with my spouse. This was at least 6 months ago.
>>
>>92735294
>Anon, a cute maid approaches your barbarian. What do you do?
I r-r-roll t-to c-charm her...
>Okay but what do you tell her?
I- I huh... tell her that s-she
>pause to drink water
W-whay d-does s-she look like, come again?
>Redhead, around her 20s, good assets all around and not too chubby nor too thin
T-then I t-tell her that hurm...
>wizard looks at his phone
>rogue zooms off
>druid yawns then looks at his sheet
>GM awaits like a patient father
C-Can I just.. use the roll?
>Just be yourself Anon. What would you tell a pretty girl if you were into her
>whole party suddenly snaps back to reality and patiently awaits
W-W-Well I-I am n-not...
>Anok, you have described your barbarian tearing up a man's throat with a rusty fork. Surely, you can just... talk to a girl
>>
>>92743436
>>wizard looks at his phone
>>rogue zooms off
>>druid yawns then looks at his sheet
>>GM awaits like a patient father
this one is a deep cut holy fuck it's happened so many times
>>
File: 1700713160207603.gif (904 KB, 500x532)
904 KB
904 KB GIF
>>92743470
I've never had a railroading GM but sometimes I wish mine was. Party always gets trapped in this logic loop of endless bullshit because the world is open in every single capacity but no one will follow basic reason.
>we accepted the job from the local lord to clean up his dirty little werewolf secret because he was fucking around with immortality
>ok yeah but what if we betray the lord and take the money then kill the werewolves
>why....if we're going to kill the werewolves to get paid why would we steal the money first then do the job?
>...ok what if we capture the werewolves and make them pets to kill the lord then take the money?
GM FOR CHRIST SAKES PUT AN END TO THIS INTELLECTUAL BLACK HOLE OF A "WHAT IF"
>>
>>92735286
Remember its a game for fun not a performance.
>>92743495
That exact thing happened in my last game. Sometimes its good to railroad a party.
>>
>>92735286
Straight up SLJ method of cursing every so often to refocus and be the focus. Look in the mirror and say "Damn m-f, you're looking good" and recognize the rise and fall of how that feels. Tell a dirty joke, just get comfortable with practicing the absurd like you don't mean it, but get in touch with what you're doing on multiple levels.
>>
It really comes down to comfort and confidence.

Try this yourself: Pick a subject in which you are an expert, no matter how niche it is, and start talking to yourself about it for a minute straight. You'll see that it's easy to rattle off facts about why that movie you like is the best example of it's genre, etc. without stuttering, muttering, stammering etc.

Once you know this, then all you need is preparation. Think/plan ahead.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy8kmNEo1i8
If the Scatman can do it so can you!!
>>
>>92735286
Practice and not hating myself. Don't do voices, just vary speed, inflection, and word choice.
>>
>>92743436
Say nothing, just drop pants and bend them over the table and start hammering away like a goat that ate all the coffee beans.
Your DM, I mean. In real life.
>>
>>92742083
>>MOST IMPORTANTLY: FUCK CRITICAL ROLL. Do NOT try to copy them. You are setting yourself up for failure. Play the game how YOU want.
What if HE wants a game that's a copy of the Critical Roll?
>>
>>92735286
Unironically try playing a character with distinctive voice. I mean like play a dwarf and try to sound angry as you speak. When its not your own voice but an act, you stress it less.
>>
>>92743166
No, you gotta post a sexy elf girl if you want that.
>>
>>92742711
https://craigpaton.gumroad.com/l/Alfred?layout=profile
>>
File: 1634088951152.jpg (157 KB, 396x512)
157 KB
157 KB JPG
>>92735286
Role play begins at character creation. How are you going to role play a character if there's nothing to role play? The fact is many people treat their PCs as walking stat blocks with no history, childhood, likes dislikes etc. so you need to think these things through so you can lean on that kind of information when asked the question "would my character do X."
>>92737649
>>92737711
Or you could do this.
>>92738390
>Hot teacher calls you a sissy
Ouch even I felt that.
>>92744669
>What if HE wants a game that's a copy of the Critical Roll?
Unless your GM is Matt Mercer or whatever that dudes name is you can't have it. I don't think even he can GM like that the whole show seems fake as fuck to me.
>>92742083
>Assume no one cares how good or bad you are at roleplay
Honestly the best advice here. Your best role playing will happen without you even trying too hard.
>>
>>92736784
They don't want skin cancer? Three times per week is the optimal amount of showering recommended by dermatologists.
>>
File: Don't.jpg (50 KB, 1033x904)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
>>92735662
This. The thespian and improv theater wannabes have even infested /tg/. Dark days.
>>
>>92743495
>>92743706
GM with a table like this. This is a conversation for the players, not the GM. I have enough shit to worry about that I don't need to worry about whether you guys are getting logic loop'd as well. When you speculate and argue, I get to take a break and prepare for the upcoming gameplay. You guys can take literally 5 minutes out of a session to talk about how you are spending too much time chasing dreams. Alternatively, be the positive change and state outright "Let's focus on the task at hand, guys." Be the positive change you want to see in the world. I have a game to run, you guys can practise your own social hygiene.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.