[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Take your turn already, it is the Slowpoke Edition of the Board Games General.

Previous Thread: >>92711419

>Pastebin: https://pastebin.com/h8Tz2ze8

ANONS TOP NINE BOARD GAMES
>https://pastebin.com/jTvpg8bQ

>TQ
How do you minimize downtime?

What was the longest single game you ever played? Would you do it again?

Are you the problem at your table?
>>
>>92733289
>How do you minimize downtime?
By making several possible plans according to what my opponent may do on their turn relative to the board state during every other player(s) turn.
>What was the longest single game you ever played? Would you do it again?
27 Hours of 2 ages in Europa Universalis.
Would love to do it again and I will.
>Are you the problem at your table?
Nope. I'm actually good at teaching and I often do sub-optimal moves on my turn just to give the turn fast back to more in-experienced players to let them feel less downtime.m as I use my downtime on more teaching of edge cases and small exceptions only seen later in the game just to keep the game rolling.

Btw!
Got Galactic Renaissance and Battles of Napoleon Eylau 1807 today.
Anyone else played Galactic Renaissance here?

Is it gud?
>>
>>92733289
A really bad game of decorum that just wasn't working as intended
No we have a sperg thats always on his switch between his turns and asks what happened when its his turn again. The most common thing heard at our table is "get off your switch"
>>
>>92733719
Why do you even invite the sperg then?
Then again I have brothers that are impossible to get off of their cell phones, I get it
>>
>>92733289
I tap the person taking too much time in their temple repeatedly while screaming "ANALYSIS PARALYSIS ANALYSIS PARALYSIS" over and over again.
But seriously, just pay attention and you can play quite quickly, when it comes to other players taking too much time, generally talking about what you plan during your own turn helps to keep them focused and do the same, and if not, well I still have my own stuff to consider while they take their turn.

Twilight Imperium obviously, it was alright, didn't live up to the hype people sold it to me as being but I had fun, I would rather play something else during that timeframe.
>>
>>92733289
>Minimize downtime
Play better games. Slow downtime means turns are too long, there is limited interaction, and you don't have to pay much attention on the other guys turn. If all of that is going on, the game is shit. At the very least it is shit at THAT player count.
>Longest game you played
Zombies!!! First mission is to get to a helicopter. You are actively encouraged to flood the board with zombies each turn and you respawn at the starting location when you die. The result was an unavoidable wave of gray that you needed pure luck from start to finish of a run to complete.
>How long was it?
16 hours. It took 16 fucking hours for someone to roll massive amounts of successes each step to escape. We literally lit the fucking game on fire after playing it.
>Are you the problem at the table?
Yes. I frequently start my turn thinking the other player is finished when they aren't. I actually tell the other players to announce "My turn ends" to prevent me from jumping the gun like a dipshit. This mainly happens with AP opponents.
>>
>>92733289
What's your opinion on descent journeys in the dark?
>>
>>92733986
It's a fun 1 vs many title as long as everyone understands that it's not a dungeon crawler, the heroes are not supposed to explore the map and kill each monster, and the darklord doesn't necessarily want to send monsters against the heroes.
If the darklord has to play like an idiot and serve as a DM it can be fine with the right group I guess, but it becomes more of a social Activity than a game.
>>
Guys, I've played rising sun and found it surprisingly decent, especially compared to other lang's games.
Does it get worse after multiple plays?
>>
>>92734336
are you talking about 1st or 2nd edition?
>>
>>92734423
2e without the app
>>
>>92734402
Not sure if it gets worse after many plays, but I would say player count has an impact, I wouldn't play it with 5 or more, as each player will have less turns and especially with 5, one player will always be left out of alliances. No idea how well it fares with 3 but with 4 it's fun
You need players that actually discuss alliances and are willing to shift between rounds and/or even betray though
The only other Lang games i played are BloodRage and the cyberpunk one, the former is braindead but can be fun once in a while, the latter is just ok
I'd like to try Ankh, any opinions?
>>
>>92733289
Literally the only way to do this is not playing with retards
9p western empires, stated around 1030am and finished around 6 - quicker than expected. I'd be happy to do that about once a month
Whenever I play with eurocucks they are seething because I beat them 70% of the time while taking 10% the time with my turns just playing intuitively instead of planning out every inane detail, usually my first time playing the game, and shitting on the game and telling them to hurry the fuck up it the whole time. I genuinely think euro players are dumber than the average person, I usually lose at 18xx and I'm fairly average playing stuff like Tigris and Euphrates and Puerto Rico against my mom, aunts and uncles, and cousins
>>
File: fuckyou.jpg (30 KB, 215x332)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>turn 1
>this lil nigga is in the cheapest spot
>cockblocks the entire East in you're path
>comet flips on turn 3
>Holy allahu akbar victory on turn 4
great gaem
>>
>>92734925
>buy any other card that produces non-muslim bishops
>buy any other holy war to try and balance out the amount of theocratic units
>buy the comet and use it to unlock another win con
>get an attackcard against ottoman so you can siege him (less theocratic units and prevents him from conquering shit)
>drain the east market and put up concessions so he cant populate ottoman with non-muslim units
Sure, youre probably fucked, but thats pax ren sometimes
>>
>>92734994
Sure I probably missed a way out, I just find it weird that a single card is designed to contain all the conditions for victory (bishop that can go anywhere, religious prestige, and a one-shot that flips the empire to theocracy)
>>
>>92735013
It being east also is a weakness, since any behead card can kill it (and east deck has more beheadings). If you play one and he puts the bishop on it to protect his mufti, you can sell the card to destroy the bishop. And most religious wars have bishops and/or prestige. The only problem is that ottomans start out so strong with 3 muslim units and 2 knights. Marrying into them also puts you in a very strong position.
>>
File: Hmmm_cat.png (739 KB, 1024x768)
739 KB
739 KB PNG
My friends love playing Disney Villainous. They are fucking obsessed with it. I play it too with them but Im not a huge fan. I feel like the game is a fucking slogfests every time you need to faith someone. I also think that the game is hella unbalanced. They bough like 4 expansions but we only ever play half of the characters because the rest are so easy to win with. The artwork on cards does look sick tho.
>Any ways to make the game more fun?
>>
>>92734925
>>cockblocks the entire East in you're path
Did you miss the fact the target needs a bishop? It is killing like one thing unless you are gonna get into the cycle of buying/playing red/green east bishop producers. Killing a king loses you the mufti. Any other bishops in east market shut this down.
Early jihads one shots are the most dangerous card for early victory, yea. But grand mufti is not a broken piece of the puzzle.
>>
>>92734925
my record is Holy victory on turn 3. Yes, its possible
>>
>>92734682
i feel there are more stupid people and poseurs in the hobby nowadays
>>
>>92735364
Its not even the best Jihad card. IMO its Qizbilash or whatever its called. Lets you move a bishop and tax and siege everything in the East
>>
>>92735535
>siege everything in the East
This, timar system, and its west equivalents (spanish tercio, swiss rislaufer), are some of my favourite cards.
Simple, deceptively strong in setting up your one shots, very useful for strawmanning yourself into republics, and yet have nothing else to offer, balancing out the siege anywhere potency.
>>
>>92735566
These cards both have siege all over the east, powerful oneshots, tax ops and qizilbah sets you up for a holy victory. Tercio rislaufer both give you siege in the west, which is of course stronger in the long run, but I always find it painful to spend so much time on something that will only pay out after many west ops, with no immediately bonus
>>
Since this is /jihad/ atm, here's a question. Since almost all cards vary between meh and great depending on the situation (with a few exceptions), what are the most niche or worst cards?
Because I find mons meg and its conspiracy oneshot funny from a thematic point of view but the card is deadweight 95% of time
Also that islamish, err... circly card (I know how stupid that sounds, it's such trash I've apparently never really bothered to take a closer look)
Ignoring the reformist cards due to the 1550 setup where they are actually useful (except fucking luther)
>>
>>92735681
HAH I dont think Mons Meg has been bought once in my 200 or so games. Same with the other card ('12 whatever'). The Crusade card in England has also never been very useful in my games.

The west cards that dont have ops but lets 'Patron count as X for Y' are rarely bought but can be decisive in the right situation. Same with Cryptography (think I used it only once.)
>>
File: file.png (7.58 MB, 1776x2716)
7.58 MB
7.58 MB PNG
>>92735681
At the one hand, mons meg is shit, at the other hand, it is at least an attack card. After going through the list these are my picks for the hardest to use.

>twelver
gives you a bishop+prestige, I can see it being useful in a religious struggle
>sahn-i
It does give a ship prestige and lets your heads count as concessions, but how many are you getting really? Also ottoman behead isnt too rare
>brotherhood
this is in my opinion the worst east card. Just a single agent, no one-shot, and a behead in a country that doesnt really care for it. The onyl time I would get it is if someone has a very powerful West card I have to kill. Talking about killing
>epicurean swerve
I guess it gives you a republic, but no law and is a west card, which makes it vulnerable. It has no ops so you cant even get anything out of it being a west card
>humanism
a bishop but no cath prestige, you might want the bishop for the holy victory, but guess what, it makes that harder. You get no inquisitor ops to at least use the bishop for silencing either
>man of all reasons and star chamber
a crusade in england doesnt work since you have no unbelievers to attack. A reformation doesnt work since there are no protestants adjacent to england
>faith v reason
doesnt even give a david head on its own.
>geometry
I guess it could be cool. But the few times it came out it either was taken because it had a bunch of florins on it, or was just trade faired away
>>
>>92735764
>a crusade in england doesnt work since you have no unbelievers to attack
Have you never gotten a heretical pirate in englands borders?
>>
>>92735779
not at the same time thomas more popped up. What im saying is that a holy war is 100x easier if you dont have to jump through a million hoops. You know, either have the kingdom spawn nonbelievers and/or have nearby kingdoms produce true believers.
>>
>>92735681
I don't see any value in "winning in this way costs 2 actions lmao" cards. Like okay at best you delay someone for one turn, in a very specific case, granted you have ways to turn the tide in that one turn. A better design would be to make victory conditions harsher, like +1 on all requirements
>>92735764
>Faith v Reason
I always see it as Jordan Peterson card lmao
>>
>>92735267
>Any ways to make the game more fun?
No. It's dogshit and there's nothing you can do about it
>>
>>92735807
Very often I find that you need both actions to get the victory condition requirements. One more turn is all you need in pax ren to cockblock someone. You can buy and play a card. Or play a card and run ops. Often all you need to hold on is to just get one law/religious/exploration prestige, or take a kingdom, or flip a republic. Thats just one more turn. But then next turn they cant just counter you and then claim victory. Its very rare to be able to maintain victory conditions through an entire opponents turn
>>
>>92733719
>No we have a sperg thats always on his switch between his turns and asks what happened when its his turn again
Absolutely unacceptable, would never invite again>
>>
>>92733732
>Then again I have brothers that are impossible to get off of their cell phones, I get it
if someone uses their phone during the game, and doesnt know whats going on on his turn, he also gets told to fuck off with his phone. Only use the phone when you already have a plan or when your wife is dying and you have to be available to hear the news
>>
>>92734402
I think it gets better as people start to understand that alliances aren't for helping each other. It probably helps to play with 3 or 5 so the odd man out has to figure out how to be a dick.
>>92734474
The maneuvering on and dividing of the map is really satisfying. The combat is a Kemet ripoff but done so much better. As far as the board and fighting it's the best one but I think he went to far in nerfing the market for Ankh and that part is kind of bland.
>>
Let's say I like how summoner wars plays but don't really like any of the core box factions. Maybe the frozen dwarfs. Is there any way to avoid getting it?
>>
Oh god, them fragile, recurring, and dirt cheap champs.
I realise they have no 5 health commons, which really hurts their staying power.
I like that tradeoff.
>>92736634
Get the starter set instead.
You still get map dice and tokens but only phoenix elves and tundra orcs and can pick expansion packs at your leisure.
>>
>>92735681
Machiavellianizm or whatever the "do war one-shots of cards you sell" one is called, is shit if the rest of the deck is low on war one-shots (it can happen, i've seen it)
>>
>>92736664
It just hit me, you place the girls on bottom of deck, only to redraw and replay with thicc fish mummy.
Despite their fragility, they have a bunch of tools to maintain tempo.
>>
>>92733289
I'm kind of a gut feeling kind of player, amd even in some complex situations I tend to think pretty fast so my turns tend to be quick
6 hours of Shikoku 1889 at 6 players. It was great and we definitely want to play again
Nah, even if I get salty I don't show it, it's just a game.
>>
File: news-banner-784.jpg (287 KB, 800x400)
287 KB
287 KB JPG
IT'S OUT
https://boardgamearena.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36540
>>
File: ranking.png (19 KB, 490x190)
19 KB
19 KB PNG
>>92736945
any of you?
>>
>>92736970
what is this ranking? Im in the top 5 ELO
>>
>>92736709
The beefy boy though. Smashing gates back to the enemies back row? BRUTAL
>>
File: 20240212_183620.jpg (193 KB, 691x786)
193 KB
193 KB JPG
>>92736945
Got to give it a whirl. It's it for premium users only?
>>
>>92737011
Ya he looks nasty.
Its interesting how master and starter set factions each had like one champ you never summon, and nowadays every champ feels nasty.
>>
>>92737022
>master and starter set factions each had like one champ you never summon, and nowadays every champ feels nasty.
Thank fuck for that. What a waste of potential and a blemish on every game. The eater, miti mumway, kalal, jacob (if you're gay and play vanguards at all)
>>
>>92737014
>It's it for premium users only?
I don't see it on the list. https://en.boardgamearena.com/premium
I think anyone can make a PaxRen lobby.
>>
all the games that interest me are out of stock reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I want to consoom
>>
File: Krung.jpg (163 KB, 800x1236)
163 KB
163 KB JPG
>>92737045
What stinks is those champs were all classic beaters in 1st edition.
If you saved up for Miti, Fire drake, Kalon, elut ball, my boy Krung, you got what you paid for: a brick wall that if not dogpiled would carry you over the finish line. Of course this was back when a two dice attack common was a solid beater that often didnt survive more than a turn, so dealing with them was expensive and difficult.
I get it, they didnt want to replicate that play experience, but what they did to the heroes of yesteryear was painful to witness.
>>
>>92737108
For sure. It feels like they didnt playtest enough to find out that saving up 8 magic just rarely happens and is almost never worth it.
>>
>>92737045
>The eater
What's wrong with my boy?
>>
I'm the individual employed at my local game store (LGS), and I'm the sole enthusiast who truly appreciates and engages with board games, which make up half of our store's revenue, with the other half coming from trading card games.
Despite two months on the job, I find it challenging to muster any praise for party games—I simply can't stand them. The only exception I've found is Magic Maze, a game where players are prohibited from shouting at each other by design.
On the flip side, I thoroughly enjoy teaching and immersing myself in complex games, and as a result, I've cultivated numerous friendships within the board gaming community.
>>
>>92737501 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-kHB2fWUS8
>>
>>92737381
For starters he's not 0 cost. Second his ability is too harsh, it should be gain 2 damage when it doesnt destroy. Third, if I designed him I'd have made him start with 1 sword, and every time he destroys an enemy put the card underneath Eater, and he has +1 strength for each card.
>>
>>92737501
I'm imagining you glaring from the corner of the office playing a solo game of Pax Ren 2e spilling bread crumbs all over the board, while your coworkers are having a blast with Codenames. Everyone is festive and laughing, Local Brad and Megan are making out, one of the nerds notices you and takes pity
>hey anon wanna join?
>n-nah thanks I dont play casual games with bgg weight lower than 4...
>>
>>92737674
And that man you are imagining, is based
>>
File: versus.jpg (479 KB, 2500x1248)
479 KB
479 KB JPG
>>92737674
There are chad pax players, they just don't post about the games on the internet.
>>
Anyone tried Slay the Spire, the board game version of course? I have the option to get it pretty cheap but I already own the switch version. How much does it change from the digital version?
>>
File: champ-TheEater.jpg (35 KB, 368x240)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>92737656
Nah, they just needed to keep the feed ability applicable to both players like it was in 1E. If you're next to him, he auto kills. But if you starve him, he's gone or requires gobbo player to make the sacrifice.
>>
The general has refined it's list of games anyone gives a shit about down to: PaxRen, Summoner Wars, and Sakura Arms.
>>
File: 1705940725409516.png (409 KB, 736x623)
409 KB
409 KB PNG
>>92737750
Woah now, we had a good old fashion Uwe throwdown just the other day.
It's a moment in time. A decade ago you could've memed that /bgg/ only talks about TI3, Kemet, and Merchants & Marauders.
>>
should I consoom
>>
>>92736634
get the neoprene mat, fancy tokens, dice and just buy factions piecemeal
the paper mat in the starter set is a temporary solution at best, but those are both great factions
>>
File: simpsons-burns.gif (1022 KB, 498x373)
1022 KB
1022 KB GIF
>>92737788
>>
File: 1575167841068.jpg (29 KB, 640x480)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>>92737825
>>
File: 1705783052632355.png (873 KB, 880x587)
873 KB
873 KB PNG
>>92737381
>>
>>92736460
It has nothing to do with kemet, what are you talking about?
Also monsters in kemet are great, while most monsters in rising sun are a waste of money, just like in Blood rage.
>>
>>92737014
on BGA even if a game is premium you can still start auto-searching for a table and when one is made by a premium user, with options you select or don't care about, you'll join automatically. it's a pretty neat feature
>>
File: renature.jpg (96 KB, 600x600)
96 KB
96 KB JPG
>>92737750
Forgetting someone?
>>
>>92738043
I think 2025 will be your year.
>>
>>92738043
slop
>>
>>92737987
>unable to follow a conversation that takes place over two(2) entire posts
>comes out swinging in defense of Kemet anyway
For me, it's the passion and dedication of the fanbase that make Kemet the best board game in all the world. Anyway, those 2 anons are discussing Ankh, a game in which combat is resolved by adding a card from your hand to your troop strength on the map, not unlike in Kemet.
>>
>>92736970
>arena only allows base setup and closed hands
ye i dont think i'm gonna skip on this one bros
>>
I've said I'll start a pax ren tourney the second it is released fully and I'll do so once the kids (and wife) are in bed

Prepare your anus because I will likely fuck this up, never started tourneys before
>>
>>92736945
/bgg/ tourney when?
>>
>>92738108
i wanna be in
i already have an old Challonge account lying about if that's what you'll use for coordinating the tourney
>>
File: ariel-nodding.gif (594 KB, 498x300)
594 KB
594 KB GIF
>>92737022
>>92736709
>>92736664
shimmersea fae previews have me like
>>
>>92737722
do you want multiplayer slay the spire with some simplified mechanics designed to work for the table? are you okay with a large and somewhat unwieldy product to accomplish it?
>>
>>92737750
don't forget Stationfall
>>
How do you coax people into playing hansa?
it looks dreadful and is hard to pitch the theme
>>
>>92738108
>BGA
Miss me with that scrollworld shit.
>>
>>92738224
>it looks dreadful and is hard to pitch the theme
Find people that actually care about the GAME part in board games.
>>
>>92738248
You can adjust the layout.
>>
How do hell do you stop The Hidden speedrun in a 2p game?
>Vote actions are rarer than diamonds so its impossible to keep up with republics
>1 rep + hidden gives two Law so over on the first comet so even if Law cards are present in the market you are now basically obligated to buy each and every one or you instalose
I went back and analyzed the replay and just couldnt see how to, there were no Laws in the market. The game also started me as Jakob Faggot so I couldn't even Trade Fair any money to snatch the comet first.
>>
>>92738282
Yeah you can adjust it so you can't see shit at all, very helpful.
>>
>>92738248
Is it ideal?
No
Is it better than no pax ren with bros
Of course not

>>92738126
Challenge account?
>>
>>92738199
Guess we're playing at 2p at most. I've seen people playing solo, but I got the videogame for that
>>
>>92738667
Challonge.com (spelled with an o) is a website where anyone can make a tournament bracket for anything, but mostly the fighting game nerds use it for book-keeping
>>
File: IMG_20240508_211613.jpg (2.69 MB, 2973x2278)
2.69 MB
2.69 MB JPG
How is that campaign going, anons?
>>
>>92739573
Finally returning to Assault on Doomrock for the third and final act tomorrow.
Hows Earthborne Rangers? Still interested but not sold on it. If anything, will try to buy it second hand in a few years after the hype goes down.
>>
>>92739573
having a lot of fun churning through Frosthaven and our regular Oath games have been a hoot
>>
>>92737674
>I dont play casual games with bgg weight lower than 4
Is there an actual way to list games by weight in BGG? I tried a few lighter games and want to find out which of the heavy ones I should get next.
>>
>>92739719
Click on Search - > advanced search and choose weight range that interests you
There are 19 games in bgg top 100 with weight raiting 4+ though I have no clue how Spirit Island got it, the game has two-bit mechanics
>>
>>92739927
>advanced search
How could I miss that, lol thanks.
>Spirit Island
I did find it weird, never played the game but saw people playing it, didn't seem that complex.
>>
>>92739593
>Assault on Doomrock
Still waiting for your review.
>>
>>92739927
It's a highly subjective rating and among people who play Spirit Island it is the most complex game most of them play. See also all the wargames weighted less than a 7/5.
>>
>>92739982
Fuck I need to get on that.
Sorry anon.
>>
>>92733708
Havent played it yet, but getting a 4P game tomorrow. Lets see how it goes.
Has anyone looked into the cards, are there any confusing wording on them or are they clear rules wise?
>>
>Oath Expansion incoming
>Root expansion in the works
>Arcs imminent
>>
>>92740217
>>Root expansion in the works
Do we have faction names yet?
>>
>>92735267
Nope. Like the other anon already said, its a pretty shit and unbalanced game.
>>
File: kemet 2.jpg (753 KB, 2614x1795)
753 KB
753 KB JPG
>>92737750
>>
>>92738248
>scrollworld
is this the new word for online things
im stealing it

Also
>vertical monitor
>>
does A Feast for Odin plays well on BGA? Given the game's size, I'm not sure. I want to get the game but it's sold out in my local stores and shipping from first world countries to here in my shithole is expensive as fuck.
>>
>>92740278
it's pretty good, most of the size-hogging parts are folded away into a tab until clicked on or needed for game actions, only things left are the actions panel itself and your tetris boards, with handy "enlrge" buttons if you wanna make building easier

wish Horseless Carriage was on BGA, with that level of ease-of-use.
>>
>>92733289
it might be a bit annoying, but if i notice someone is consistently slow i will ask them if they've already planned their turn or 1-2 tuns before it's theirs, this has saved HOURS of play time
my initial teach of nemesis: lock down with 6 players, took over 7 hours with a couple of analysis-paralysis prone players, sounds bad, but they've requested and played several times after that and gotten a lot faster
only in the sense that, since most of the time I'm the owner of the games, i make my group spend a lot of time playing
>>
>>92740223
no, just vague concepts for them, something about a faction that can change the suits of the clearing and enact new laws/rule
also maybe frogs and/or bats
>>
File: Root23.png (887 KB, 1000x665)
887 KB
887 KB PNG
>>92740587
>that can change the suits of the clearing
As an Eyrie main, that is terrifying.
Leder you are playing with powers beyond your ken.
>>
File: meeple factory.png (227 KB, 693x387)
227 KB
227 KB PNG
>>92740643
How meeples are made
https://youtu.be/ctNEN19xgAI?t=191
>>
>>92740941
>Hi, my name is Vera and I paint giraffes for a living
>>
>>92737788
Consoom but play it until you decide if it should stay in your collection or not
If not sell/trade it, then consoom the game you got in the trade or use to money to keep consooming.
In other words, be smart and don't let games cluter
>>
>>92740941
I could have told you that just by looking at them.
>>
>>92740354
it's been quite some time since horseless carriage release, and the only thing I know about its the theme...
How is the game? Good/great/excellent/autism fest?
>>
would have been nice to see them reuse some crystal clans art for summoner wars.
Especially given they already reused assets from gem clan for the wayfarers faction
>>
>>92741978
I'd say Crystal Clans is a more modern game than even Summoner Wars second edition. The problem is that Summoner Wars 2.0 stuck with the phase system and arbitrary move and attack with three units per turn. Crystal Clans uses an action point system and eschews the phases completely. I think it could go further but it's better than Summoner Wars' outdated phase system in my opinion.
>>
>>92733289
Are any of the Chip Theory Games titles worth the price tag?
>>
>>92742419
Most are, but they aren't for everyone. They are complex at first to the point it takes a good three plays to really grasp the fundamentals. It takes about 10 plays to start understanding strategies for a character/bot/faction/Army really well.
So they take work but if you put in the work you got a game with good solo, good co-op, and (when available) good PvP.
The amount of content in their games is pretty banging, the core mechanics are unique, and the components are premium.
That said if you don't enjoy learning a big game or spending hours doing so? Hard pass on every single one of them without exception.
>>
>>92742419
cloudspire kind of owns
>>
>>92741953
I think it's quite good but a) i've only played on TTS, physically it would probably be more of a chore, and b) it's a Splotter so if you don't like direct competition that leaves you with nothing because you're last in turn order on a critical turn, then this isn't a game you'll like
>>
>>92742324
NTA but I don’t agree with SW being outdated at all. The entire design is built around those limited moves and attacks.
>>
>>92740563
I want to play Nemesis but I'm always afraid that teaching the game (much like any other AR game) is going to make me sound like I'm a schizophrenic, how the fuck do I do it
>>
>>92733289
>What was the longest single game you ever played?
7th continent, 5 curses, 50 ish hours. Fun idea but god damn what a slog it becomes.

time to pull out 7th citadel
>>
>>92743958
>7th citadel
did they do anything differently? made me worry the hype for it was a lie
>>
>>92743882
It's not that the game is hard to teach, it's just a chore. Between the many different actions - a lot of which are memes (like crafting) - and very very little player agency, a badly structured rulebook and very fiddly upkeep, the game has a lot of easy systems that each come with its bunch of thematic rules. I mean, I obviously don't like the game so I'll not go into shitting on it, but I suppose the best way to play it is to explain what actions players can do and start the game, doing the upkeep yourself. Not exactly that much help, but I suppose if your group is into the theme, most seemingly arbitrary rules will be internalized relatively quickly
>>
Lads what does age of reformation do differently (gameplaywise) than the 1550 variant?
While I like the latter, I feel it's a bit annoying there's no going back to the old trade routes
>>
>>92743213
Cloudspire is a big example of what CTG does poorly. This is coming from someone who owns all of the game and loves it to death.
>The core gameplay is not intuitive at all and must be tackled as if starting something utterly alien with nothing else in boardgames to compare it too. You can't say "This is like X" because it is far enough removed from X that they incomparable.
>When you DO get the fundamentals down, the factions each handle so dramatically different that every single basic strategy for one does not apply to any other one.
>Given those two points, it's a giga-whore to teach the game to just about anybody.
>The rulebook and reference sheets were total ass at launch that they had to redo both from the second printing onward making a dense game even harder to teach/learn
>There are enough keywords in use to make MtG blush with shame
When you DO learn the game and factions and have another person/s that have done the same? Hands down one of the best games out there. So much shit going on at once, everybody doing their own strategies while trying to kill everyone else? It's organized chaos. The bugs built a direct tunnel to your stronghold, the birds are sending out kamikaze hummingbirds until one suddenly heals a hero instead, and the pirates said, "Fuck it." and just moved their entire base (an airship) to a different spot fucking up your tower heavy route to them. Cloudspire is fantastic, but I absolutely understand people bailing on it after trying it a few times. CTG is using the Dwarf Fortress style of design, you gotta earn your fun.
>>
>>92744029
I've only read the rules so far, no good opportunity to play it yet. I should be able to in
>2 more weeks
From the rules though, it seems much less grindy than 7th continent was, in the sense that there doesn't appear to be the option of hunting animals for eternity and eating them until your deck is back to full. So if you run out of cards, you lose a life (from e.g., 5) and keep playing.

Also the dialogue book looks intriguing. Hopefully as these two things indicate there is less random stumbling around the map until you hit a quest item while spending 50%+ of the time not really playing the game at all.
>>
>>92742419
Agree with the two other anons. As someone who has most of what CTG has produced, Cloudspire is hands down the best. Playing it tomorrow with my group.

>Hoplomachus
Very random combat, trash for PvP, interesting to try each boss once PvE.

>Hoplomachus: Victorum
No PvP, just a pure solo campaign where you level up and gather mooks for a final boss fight. Better than Hoplomachus in the PvE aspect, but still not that good since all the combat is resolved via dice rolls with EXTREME variance. If you have nowhere to put your money it's interesting for a couple of plays, since there is a lot of variety in the scenarios/arenas/bosses.

>Too Many Bones
Back when it was relatively new, I've seen people referring to it as being "solved" and things like that. Upon playing it several times, including a campaign where we downed all the base game bosses in a row, can confirm. By far the best strategy is just to max dexterity and damage and one shot everything.

The skill dice are mostly either outright shit, or, even if they're good, you can only use them once per combat and they have in general a 50% chance to fail.

The different characters and character building is intriguing at first, but the balance is just fucked. The most disappointing game from them by far. No I haven't played any of the big expansions even though I have them, they don't fix the core issues.
>>
>>92743882
Like another anon said, it's more of the upkeep than actual play that is difficult. I taught my group how to actually play, and took all the upkeep on myself. I will admit it gets cumbersome but I've managed to offload some of the tasks as we've played more and the game is much more enjoyable. So just be the rules expert, it really isn't that bad honestly, and let everyone else worry about only their characters.
>>
>>92738283
Remember you can create republics by doing regime changes on regimes already in your tableau (Conspiracy/Relligious wars/Peasant revolts).

Mind you, some games WILL be doomed from the start, its an inherent flaw of the game. Maybe you could post the replay?
>>
>>92744089
One new victory condition (Byzantine) and some new cards I think? Like Jihad in Papal States for example
>>
>>92737722

I recently completed a four-player run through of the game. I've not played the video game, but I found it to be enjoyable enough. You've got deckbuilding and resource management going on, and from the comments of the people who've played the video game the characters are pretty much on point.

My only complaint is that getting no Golden Tickets (the randomisation mechanism for getting advanced abilities outside of boss kills) while everyone else encountered theirs in each act feels really, really bad.
>>
>>92744190
See I view Hoplomachus as one of there best titles. It's a straightforward arena skirmisher with clear likely outcomes on dice rolls. Don't count on yellows or greens, blue and black are pretty steady damage dealers. Of course, I'm in the minority of believing damage output should be the few things that variability is forgivable on because that's how shit works IRL in combat.

Too Many Bones is indeed a solved game if you play for optimization. You have more fun with it if you don't play it in such a way, but that is highly counter-intuative to pretty much every gamer. The bigger issue is that more than half the gearlocs are just outright shit no matter how you play them and ANY gearlocs with range blow the rest away. I enjoy the game, but fuck if I know why it is the most recommended title in their catalog when even Triplock is better than it.

Burncycle is the absolute, hands down, no question best stealth boardgame ever made. As such it is boring as fuck if you don't like stealth.

Triplock is the red headed step child that never gets mentioned. It's an abstract lock picking game. It plays fast, is easy to learn, and is pretty unique, but given its theme I'm not shocked it didn't do well at all.

Cloudspire is the best. No question. They are crowdfunding a final expansion for it this fall. Apparently, given its nature, it's a lot more of a whore to make content for.

Victorum is far too much setup and teardown for how fast the combat goes. Neat idea, bad execution.

20 Strong is some Steve Jackson tier bullshit. Given how easy and cheap it is to make content for it, they will probably make loads of shit for it though.

Wroth looked outright retarded. I passed on that shit hard.

The elder scrolls seems very interesting. I am actually looking forward to it.
>>
>>92744447
To be fair I haven't looked into their smaller titles, so when I said I have "most" of their games, that might not be true.

>See I view Hoplomachus as one of there best titles.
You mean PvP or PvE?

I haven't played a lot of these kinds of games, maybe the variance is that way in many of them, but holy shit it's bad. And it applies to both you and the bosses, so you can have a turn where all your dice comes up shit and you get wrecked almost immediately, or your dice are mediocre to good but the boss does pretty much nothing and it becomes a cakewalk.

The ideas behind the dice are cool, but IMO they would only really work in a game that has larger armies or less general lethality, so that the variance has at least some time to even out.

>Burncycle
Interesting, I'll have to look into it.
>>
>>92744579
>PVP or PVE
PVP is a damn good time. It hits the sweet spot of being a tactical skirmisher and it plays fast enough you don't mind getting creamed. Just reset the board and go again.

PVE greatly depends on the mode in question. The Immortal version where you are fighting six champions that you can't damage directly in an endurance run? That is a fucking blast because the champions have a straight forward AI and it is very much you planning your turns accordingly.
Scion mode? Fuck that mode. I hated it in Rise of Rome and I hate it in Remaster. The dice being random for combat is fine, I agree with their use there. The dice being used for AI activation resulting in the boss doing fuck all some turns or rolling lucky and murdering everyone you have on the board is complete and utter dog shit. It pisses me off that the old Fa Mel map got relegated to a future expansion to bring Scions back. Fa Mel was a PVP map where the win conditions was to either murder the other guys champion OR to move an archer unit from one side of the map to the other. As you played, your crowd favor track was pumping your archer up improving it's life, adding more dice to its attacks, increasing its range, but never increasing its movement. It was an escort quests for each side while murdering the shit out each other.
>>
>>92744621
>PVP is a damn good time.
How many players?

I can only imagine it being a warmup game or a timewaster of sorts. I only tried 1v1, and there was really no depth to the game honestly. Got stale after two or three quick matches.
>>
>>92739573
>look at our beautiful optimistic future!
>nature is healed and there are no YTpepo
No, I will not stop noticing.
>>
>>92744579
>Interesting, I'll look into it
You play as robots breaking into human companies to steal data to free your enslaved robot brothers. Takes place in the future after humans went extinct. AI controlled robots revived them and humans wiped their AI to make them be tools for their personal use and labor shortly after coming back. Those that survived that purge are effectively trying to free their enslaved retarded kin. Humans are better at war and fighting than your bots though (considering humans are wearing mech style exosuits) so you want to avoid combat.
Patrols have different AI depending on the unit, if they spot you, you drop a chip in the last space they saw you with clear line of sight so you know where they are headed, and you roll to see if an unsearched room has a patrol unit in it.
Each turn you will be rolling to see how many actions you can perform (seems worse than it is, the dice rarely fuck you) have to manage a command bots chipset (representing the bot hacked into the system helping you open doors, access terminals, and such) and try to avoid getting pinged on the systems intranet mainframe.
It's got a lot of neat ideas, the bots all handle different with my favorite being a garbage droid that looks like a trash can who can use a special ability to just be ignored because, well he looks like a fucking trash can that is supposed to be there. You gotta spend action points to hack doors, move, interact with terminals, and other stuff. It's resource management and stealth.
Each corp handles security different and has different security heads that affect overall game mechanics.
If you like stealth it's a good time. If you want to play stealth by sneaking up on humans and killing them one by one? That is not an option. You HAVE to be a sneaky cunt. There are two that can fight but it's best used for dire situations. The big guys best course of action is actually knocking down a wall for an easier exit rather than fighting MechWarrior Mall Cop.
>>
>>92744653
>How many players?
1v1.
>Didn't have depth.
Fair. Not really what they were going for though. It is a light arena skirmish game meant for quick play. It never really tried to present itself as something deep and overly thinky. Just dudes in the sand murdering each other and trying to win crowd favor for extra tactics and maybe another gladiator. If you were expecting a deep game, I don't fault you for feeling disappointed. Playing it for what it is, a light weight, dice chunking, skirmisher with a quick turn around makes it fun. Definitely not what I would reach for if I want depth. The complete original game got retarded by having way too many units and keywords. Carthage was tearing ass around the arena in chariots, beast masters had animals stomping about that went wild attacking everyone when the beast master died, and unique weapons for each team were being placed in the arena and shit. It added content, but didn't really change the depth for shit so it was just piling too much onto a frame that honestly couldn't support the load.
>>
>>92744741
See I haven't played the original. My first gripe was basically that most of the units in each faction are interchangeable, leaving only a few that are unique. I like it as a concept, having "base" units to pick regardless of faction, but it left way too little meat on the bone for my tasting. 3 or 4 extra unique units per faction to flesh them out, plus some way to make the combat less volatile (more overall HP is one basic approach), and I would definitely like it way more.

I'd analogise this by Starcraft 2 and Warcraft 3.
>starcraft 2
Fast pace, lethal combat, no randomness.

>warcraft 3
Slow pace, combat is a slugfest of units beating at each other for half a minute, more random elements.

This game occupies an unhappy middle for me. It should go harder to one side or the other. I'm no expert on Neuroshima Hex (only played once), but that would occupy the Starcraft side for me. This game I'd like on the opposite side, still positional, but more of a slugfest to outweigh the dice mechanic.

In any case, glad you like the game at least. Just not my cuppa tea.
>>
>TQ
Make a plan and backup plan. When it gets to my turn, just check to see if anything is going to be a misplay then make the physical move.
A game of Cosmic Encounter. The guy teaching it forgot how it was played so we restarted it multiple times. A little over three hours all told. Fuck no, I am never playing that game again.
No. I do take longer turns during coop games because I hate making misplays that fuck over my partner, but even then I am not the worst.
>>
File: 1420897061623.png (32 KB, 200x200)
32 KB
32 KB PNG
>spend a good month researching games
>they all became out of stock
I JUST WANTED TO CONSOOM
>>
File: PXL_20240505_002233929.jpg (3.11 MB, 3072x4080)
3.11 MB
3.11 MB JPG
>>92737722
Played a 4p game last night. If you enjoy Slay the Spire (and why wouldn't you?) the board game is a shockingly good adaptation. Last night's game had two people who had never played the video game before and they really enjoyed it and wanted to continue but I had to pack up the game and go home due to weather (you can save your progress between floors to continue later). I have played it maybe 5 times so far and I don't have any major complaints, I played the video game for 700+ hours though so I am a Slay the Spire addict. The board game really does feel like you are playing the video game, what makes it stand out from it is the addition of co-op which is well done.
My downsides are that setup and tear down is a bit long. Nothing on the scale of Mage Knight or Gloomhaven, but it takes probably 5-10 minutes to set up and tear down. The second downside is that the game takes longer than the videogame despite having less encounters per act. This is due to the physical nature + Co-Op. I don't think the game outstays its welcome at all because it is fun the whole way through, but it can take 3+ hours to complete the whole thing in one go. That means a lot of using the (actually well done) "save" system to return to the game later, but that is a bit of a bummer. It helps that Slay the Spire has a natural cadence with a boss fight at the end of each floor so you still feel a sense of progression and accomplishment, but it is a bit of a sore spot still because I would like to finish a run in one go more often.
>>
>>92745289
>The board game really does feel like you are playing the video game
Why would I not just… play the video game, then?
>>
>>92745193
>
buy something for your wife instead :)
>>
>>92745289
>co-op
>3 hours
>vidya "adaptation"

you suckers will choke down anything with a smile huh
>>
>>92745643
she's the one who plays games with me
>>
Hey mermen, I hear your dudes are a bit fragile.
I got something to help you with that.
>>
>checking out game i'm interested in backing in KS
>an action lets you guess which card an opponent has face down
>if you get it right, player reveals it and you get bonus
>if you get it wrong, player puts it back down without revealing it
>dude just trust your opponent when he claims you didnt guess the card right lmao

dropped my support for the game
>>
does anyone know Chudyk's involvment in Innovation Ultimate
>>
>>92746482
We have a “trust knife” at our games to discourage lying about things like this. It has always worked well for us.
>>
>>92746651
Cmon STEEV, that stabbing story was a one of and misconstrued
>>
>>92746651
can i play twilight imperium with three players ?
>>
>>92745420
>>92745847
>board "gamers" spend years making shitty video game adaptations of chess, wingspan, and ticket to ride
>complain when the one board game video game comes home to its proper place
I bet you fags say shit like "Id really rather watch the movie" when a friend pulls out Lotr Dunc or Star Wars crap
>>
>>92746346
2 health is not "fragile" its average hp
>>
File: ass.png (154 KB, 387x438)
154 KB
154 KB PNG
I can get argent the consortium for 20 bucks
Is it good?
>>
>>92746346
Selundar fucking seething
>>
>>92746482
For all the reasons not to back a k*kestarter, this is one of the more bizzare ones.
Do you distrust your friends that much or is this some kind of strange principled stance?
Why play games with people who you cannot trust to play fair is my question, I guess.
>>
>>92746924
Ya dude jump on that shit.
>>
>>92746924
It is extremely good and it is an insane price. You know what you are getting into?
I got it for 50 used and am very happy about it
>>
>>92746978
>You know what you are getting into?
No, I have no idea what it even plays like. I see you guys discuss the l99 games all the time that's why I'm asking
>>
File: 1687356319956150.png (5.78 MB, 1883x2560)
5.78 MB
5.78 MB PNG
>>92746482
I don't think rules should be written to prevent cheaters but it's not like this exact scenario hasn't been solved a hundred times before
>>
>>92745420
Co-op, that's it
Which the sequel is most likely going to have so even less reason down the line
Especially at $100 base
>>
>>92746999
it's a worker placement euro but with 2 twists
1) displacing workers by shooting a fireball at them so they end up in hospital instead of doing work is not just somethng that sometimes happens, it's baked into the game
2) the only way to earn VP is to have the most shit in one of 12 categories that are chosen randomy (though IIRC there's always the category for having more mana and more cash, the rest of the resources might or might not be useful for VPs) and each category you win is 1 vp. and the random categories stay secret and you need to work workers to see what's on the menu so early on you can try ignoring it and going for something but later it'll be revealed that your 5 spells are useless because the spell scoring is not in play and instead the artifacts is what's important, or something like that

so basically it took the dry point salad eurogame and flipped it on it's head so it's still somewhat dry until the blood starts flowing, resource management eurogame about keping your goals a secret and trying to suss out the other goals from what everyone else's doing
>>
>>92746884
StS (vidya) works super well precisely because it uses based boardgame mechanics but isn't restricted by the physical limitations, component and gameplaywise, and it is hard not to immediately see that.
A physical version is so exceedingly likely to be inferior it's not worth considering. At best the core gameplay is similar, with a LOT less content whilst having none of the convenience and 10-30x the price. Well, at best it's a good deckbuilding game, but that likely won't have much to do with the source material
>>
>>92744190
>>92744702
from the outside it always perplex me how they make you dump so much money on these super high quality poker chips and then make almost every aspect of their game dice based
>>
>>92746999
Think highly interactive heavy euro mixed with ameritrashy spellslinging and effects that somehow miraculously still works as a strategical/tactical game
It's fucking amazing to me how
>>
File: Hoax.png (959 KB, 720x900)
959 KB
959 KB PNG
>>92747154
Hoax wore it best.
>>
>>92747207
>>92747311
You forgot basically everything in the box is double-sided so you can vary the mechanics of everything.
>>
>>92747403
Wow, I didn't know Coup stole their idea.
>>
File: 1703719849530673.png (944 KB, 960x720)
944 KB
944 KB PNG
>>92741953
It's a great game, you place tiles on a limited space in order to get specs to compete against other players for market niches. Just the puzzle aspect of trying to fit everything you need and getting fucked because maybe your cars didn't actually need an engine in the first place but now you have to deal with that loss of space is enough to make it a really fun game; What makes it truly remarkable in my opinion is the dual-ended turn order and the research tracks.

Basically you are able to place tiles to gain research points each round, which you then use to develop new patents, which are more tiles of varying sizes that give 1 or more needed specifications to make your cars better for a higher-end market, however you are able to make use of other player's patents by choosing to go first in engineering order (which makes you last in sales order and vice versa) and/or use your own research points to move THEM to higher development in order to make stealing patents easier. It creates this intrinsic balance of decision that affects all player's sales strategies. Truly a remarkable game that I haven't gotten tired of after 20+ plays and I still continue to crave.
>>
>>92747403
IDK, seems pretty easy. Just be the wizard, simple as.
>>
File: FT_Obsesion.jpg (314 KB, 1000x1000)
314 KB
314 KB JPG
Any good or just euro slop?
>>
>>92747933
Theme instantly made me not interested.
>>
>>92747933
I tried it on bga and didn't find it particularly good or bad. Then I read someone asking if he got a misprint or if there is inherent imbalance in the distribution of cards and the designer answered something akin to lmao yeah. Which kinda made me drop it. Presumably, a lot of people like it, though.
>>
>>92748008
>or if there is inherent imbalance in the distribution of cards and the designer answered something akin to lmao yeah
fuck me that reminds me of the time we tested a prototype and the designer didn't understand why having a massive distribution imbalance was an issue
>>
>>92744138
sounds like it's already 100% better than 7th continent, thanks anon
>>
>>92747933
Extremely bland and repetitive. It plays like something released back in 2000s along with Puerto Rico and Caylus. Every turn you "host an activity" which is a fancy way of saying paying meeples to play cards and get their benefits. Then you do that 16 times more, then the game ends quite randomly cause if features one of the gayest mechanisms ever - secret VP objectives.
>>
>>92746887
>2 health is average hp
>anon said, confidently incorrect
>>
>>92748148
>>92748008
>>92747955
How come its so popular then? Checkmate faggots
>>
>>92748177
females, the same reason wingspan is so popular
>>
>>92747303
In Cloudspire the dice are pretty much only used to determine tower damage for the most part at least.

Dice as a resolution mechanic is fine to me and many others. Really complaining about dice resolution reeks of Gen Z/Autism mind set in general to me.
>>
>>92748172
yes i only played like 3 games of sumwars, but i saw way too many 2/2s that just refuse to die
maybe i suck though, thats always an option too
>>
>>92748177
Reddit theme + its pretty playable. This game won't paralyze anyone like Agricola or any other heavy euroshit, you can learn the rules in 10 minutes and start playing
>>
Do Gloomhaven and Frosthaven seriously take like 120 hours to play through? What is the fucking point?
>>
>>92748209
Euro gamers loath dice as well.
Ultimately people can't stand setting up a strategy, planning this "perfect" play, then having a luck element throw all that shit away when it comes to execution. I get that, but when you KNOW that's a component of the game in question, banking on something dictated by a dice roll makes you the retard not the mechanic.
>>
>>92748209
>>92748273
just roll well lol I do it all the time
>>
>>92748273
I don't really get the hate. If I make a roll where I have a 60% chance of the score I need, is that particularly different than making a play where there's a 40% chance the opponent has the card that specifically fucks me? Almost every board game has SOME kind of luck element.
>>
>>92748270
They are campaign games with an overarching story instead of just a series of unconnected events.
That said, they are also shit dungeon crawlers and best avoided. If you really want to try them the digital version is better because setup and tear down is the biggest whore in those shit games.
>>
>>92748270
110 of setup and upkeep, 10 of gameplay for the full campaign.
>>
>>92748288
Nah, people ragging on dice resolution tend to be perfect information faggots.
>>
File: LNC.png (1.64 MB, 1453x667)
1.64 MB
1.64 MB PNG
What board games will you be playing for LudoNarraCon 2024?
>>
>>92748311
What board game actually has perfect information though? If anything I'm more impressed by the games which have a high degree of random element (like Ark Nova's 200+ cards all drawn randomly) where nevertheless the stronger player wins like 80-90% of games. Being able to incorporate randomness into your game and still have it be mostly 'fair' is impressive.
>>
>>92748316
>ludonarracon
>only narrative games, not ludonarrative games
what the fuck are they doing
do they seriously not understand how to make gameplay that matches the story?
>>
File: 1709787776995572.jpg (195 KB, 821x1500)
195 KB
195 KB JPG
Anybody tried it? The overview video showed the modules but I feel like they add too much noise to an already elegant game, and I don't think it'd be worth it just for the extra stuff that doesn't change the game mechanics from base game.
>>
>>92748316
what is this nightmare fuel poster
>>
>>92748335
Well if they did they'd be doing it wouldn't they?
>>
>>92748359
I think Witch Girl and Glowing Eyeball Orb are pretty broken and it really bothers me, as a Little Stone Guy main, that the designers never gave them any kind of update nerf. I mean Wonderland's War did it.
>>
>>92748273
>>92748209
What's with this absurd overgeneralisation?

I think this is too highly dependent on context. There are games that use dice well and ones that use them badly. Same as with every component, really. I think they might have a now undeserved reputation because they've been used to cover up holes in game design for a long time. And even roll to move and roll for damage are fine if implemented well. low frequency, high consequence unmitigateable dicerolls are almost always a blight, though
>>
Rolled 5 (1d6)

>>92748404
This guy is wrong if I roll a 6
>>
>>92748327
Abstracts like Homeworlds
to a cetrain extent a lot of Splotter games only have map setup and starting player order randomness and then the players get to choose their starting space and from then on therte's usually no or minimal randomness (most I can think of is Horseles Carriage where you get neutral demand in the lower quadrants but that's like only 4 cars per round); however some other games of theirs like Cannes are absolutely random in a jar
>>
is there a board game app more useful than xhaven? that shit is so impressive
>>
>>92748355
I'll unhelpfully chime in and say that I recently played GAH and thought it was just fine. Wonder why it has become kind of a sleeper hit. It also might be clemens franz' worst work, which in itself is somewhat impressive.
>>
>>92748469
Not exactly what you asked for, but BG stats
>>
File: 1684064295610149.png (788 KB, 1024x819)
788 KB
788 KB PNG
>>92748209
>>92748273
>>92748288
missed the emphasis on
>super high quality poker chips
they already have a built-in easy way to generate randomness with bag pulling that feels as tactile as dice with the range of expression of cards yet they use them for neither
>>
>>92748576
I got the feeling anon just wanted to go on a rant against the dicehating strawman here
>>
>>92748469
The KD:M scribe. Let's me run multiple campaigns at the same time easily.
>>
>>92748209
>Really complaining about dice resolution reeks of Gen Z/Autism mind set in general to me.
Since when does genz hate rng?
The two gen z brothers i game with love summoner wars, cosmic frog, and the chaos of pax pamir.
>>
Is amazon still saturated with counterfeit games? Someone gave me a gift card.
>>
>>92748469
valkyrie for Mansion of Madness 2nd edition. custom scenario for everyone!
>>
>>92748699
Kinda hard to call it a strawman argument when there is literally people in this very thread bitching about dice as a resolution mechanic.
>>
can someone brief me into the most popular games of the last 8 years, please? I've been out of the loop but now I have time and money for the hobby again.
>>
>>92748830
I might have somehow missed them. Might I ask you to point them out?
>>
>>92748843
>the most popular games
Well, you see, there's this pretty simple game about birds and you can buy an additional box for it that is remarkable for its lack of anything involved in actually playing the game. Also, munchkin has a big box release soon :^)
>>
File: IMG_3631.png (265 KB, 713x396)
265 KB
265 KB PNG
as /bgg/'s resident 26yo zoomer i'll report that while RNG is a contentious topic in our circles, dice get the monkey neurons activated like nothing else
we've found it's much easier to ruin a game with a deck of cards than the variance dice provide unless you're playing an unironic roll and move for some reason
>>
>>92748843
Honestly, you can go on the boardgamegeek top 100 and see how many date from 2016 onwards.
There have been a ton.
Notable mentions: Gloomhaven, Spirit Island, Wingspan, Ark Nova, Pax Pamir, Root, Nemesis.
>>
>>92748494
I think it's because a lot of good stuff appeared since it released, honestly. Was great in 2015 but better stuff came out so now it feels eh
>>
Sleeping gods or Distant Skies for a first play?
>>
>>92748952
you just can't beat the
>impact sound
>suspense
>tactile motion
dice is superior
>>
are board games still plagued by kickstarter fomo?
>>
>>92749271
>flipping the topdeck card over with that mighty flick
>slapping it on the table for all to see
and most importantly
>the satisfying sound of the riffle shuffle
you can't beat a deck of cards
>>
>>92749353
only the kickstarter fomo ones are
>>
>>92749202
But it's only received interest like this year, when it came out I barely heard people talk about it. I guess Barrage and Tiletum made people check out his earlier designs?
>>
>>92749354
okay yugi motto
most just flip it normally without much fan fair
>>
>>92748288
>is that particularly different than making a play where there's a 40% chance the opponent has the card that specifically fucks me?
Slightly, because card draws are a matter of conditional probability while dice rolls are unconditional. Did you know the card was in his deck? Was it ever visible in a card market or draft phase? These things matter too, while a die roll is mostly random (although some games let you manipulate die rolls or redo them)
>>92749354
Sorry, dice rolling shits on card draws from a satisfaction perspective, and I prefer cards gameplay-wise
>>
>>92749353
i've seen it die down recently
might be due to the slow economy, not alot of people are willing to drop the same amount of money 3 years ago
>>
>>92749215
Haven't played distant skies but I've heard that it improves a lot on the original
Go for Distant Skies
>>
File: images.jpg (11 KB, 225x225)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
Anyone played this?
It's been getting some buzz
>>
>>92747767
>maybe your cars didn't actually need an engine in the first place
Theme means nothing to these monsters
>>
File: R-N-G MADNESS.gif (6.38 MB, 499x374)
6.38 MB
6.38 MB GIF
>>
the Shogun cube tower is the best RNG mechanic ever made
you can not prove me wrong
>>
>>92749704
A lot of early cars didn't actually have engines. People just pedalled the chassis like a bicycle.
>>
>>92749833
hahaha EXACTLY!
>>
>>92749882
>early cars were actually bicycles
I can see you've made your fortune by designing dry point salads
>>
>>92750031
No, I made my fortune through careful management of my rock and gravel mining company.
>>
>>92749704
the mainline has a basic engine, the engine tech tile is for a better one that actually lets your car go fast and far, and one that isnt a pain in the ass to assemble meaning its fit for mas production meaning it's fit for the factory floor
like the difference between early 1 and 2 cylinder engines (see also Benz Patent-Motorwagen, yes it counts) and the later 4-cylinder blocks that can be mass-produced easily (the Ford Model T engine)
>>
File: Splotter Chadspielen.png (317 KB, 640x600)
317 KB
317 KB PNG
>>92749704
>Theme means nothing to these monsters
Incredibly based, fuck themefags.
>>
>>92745420
Maybe if you finished reading the sentence you quoted it would explain why.
>The board game really does feel like you are playing the video game, what makes it stand out from it is the addition of co-op which is well done.

>>92745847
My group's enjoying it quite a bit.
>>
What city or state is the board game capital of the United States?
>>
>>92750630
Roseville, Minnesota.
>>
Is the Concordia Steam version any good?
>>
>>92749487
>Dude I fucking LOVE games where there are a hundred different ways to score points. I cream my pants when I have no idea what anyone else is doing until the end of the game, when I look up and say "oh, I guess you won." Games which have a gorillion minor rules which make learning the game a pain in the ass but don't add any real depth? So fucking cool. Also I NEED my game to be thematic (i.e. have a bunch of small details that don't truly simulate the topic but which make the players say "oh, that's cute").
>>
>>92748895

Here
>>92748576
>>92747303
>>92744807
>>92744579
>>92744190
>>
what are some of your favorite "competitive" board games
>>
>>92749418
everytime I pick up a pair of dice, I pretend I'm literally just gambling just to have more fun rolling dice, with cards it's not the same since you're supposed to be tracking it most of the time
>>
>>92751809
I like how Pax Pamir can turn cooperative with trying to get your coalition ahead, until you don't and you're assassinating leveraged court cards and taxing people. I wish I could play that game IRL more, it's so good.
>>
>>92745289
500 steam hours and countless phone hours of StS and this is profoundly unappealing to me because of the speed, fiddliness and my general indifference to coop board games. I hope you have fun with it for a long time though, anon. It looks like a high quality adaptation.
>>
>>92750910
Anon, not a single one of these posts involves bitching about dice in general. They either criticise specific games for their use of dice or wonder why there are dice in the first place when the games include expensive, very fancy chips that could be used as randomizer.
Is your wife made out of dice? I have no idea why you feel the need to defend them so strongly for no reason.
>>
>>92749353
Yes, most games get released on ks/gamefound, which have replaced the old preorders.

Speaking of which, a new edition of Feudum is about to go live on gamefound; I've always been interested in it since it looks like a neat sandbox with a top-notch aesthetic, is it actually good? Does it get stale quite fast?
>>
>I tend to be a designer that needs to develop a healthy dislike of some other game in order to do my best work, and, in the case of Arcs, the target of that negative attention just so happened to be some of my previous projects.
Cole hates his own games confirmed
>>
Played Sky Team with a buddy today, was pretty fun.
Are there any other cool small box two player co-op games I should potentially look at out there? I guess 1v1 games are cool too honestly
>>
>>92752272
In American Chess you roll a six sided die when attempting to capture a piece. On a 4, 5, or 6 the piece is successfully captured. On a 1,2, or 3 the piece you are attempting to capture successfully Stood Their Ground against and you must remove your piece from the board.
>>
Ascension has been a game for over a decade now and has had MULTIPLE new editions of the base game and a fair amount of expansions.
So WHY is the winning move STILL and ALWAYS HAS BEEN to run mechana constructs? That is the winning route 100% of the time and the only viable path to ensure victory. It has never been corrected, experimented with, nerfed in the slightest. Just buy the brown machines and you are going to succeed no matter what your opponent does besides also running mechana constructs.
>>
>>92753178
Because Ascension is a shit game for combo fag MtG rejects?
>>
>>92753124
How does European chess play?
>>
Played Viticulture for the first time. Nearly won with making only one grape and scoring on the yellow and blue cards. My luck ran out at the end. If I play it again, will probably try this strategy but will make use of the tasting room and cottage earlier.
>>92748797
>Is amazon still saturated with counterfeit games? Someone gave me a gift card.
Bumping this question.
>>
>>92747933
>already got told its shit twice in the previous threads
>uhm guyz, is this good
No.
>>
>>92753425
>You use lichess to assign positive or negative peps (pawn equivalent points) after each move
>after 20 moves each, the game ends and the player with more peps wins.
>king cannot be captured and is used exclusively to block your opponents pieces
>before the game, players secretly bid peps on first player
>>
>>92753425
you use a time track, moving a piece costs actions equal to its value
each game also starts with a random card that changes the rules of the game, and you start the game by drafting pieces
>>
>>92753668
>>92753700
>eurogame
>pieces can still be permanently taken
>>
>>92753909
Yes, some eurogames are like that. Resource scarcity and all that jazz is perfectly european as a set of concepts.
>>
>>92752716
Sail is a coop trick taking game, it's pretty good.
>>
>>92753700
How does Japanese chess play?
>>
>>92754254
It's chess but played with a deck of cards with funny art.
>>
File: 1583656527595.gif (1.78 MB, 720x404)
1.78 MB
1.78 MB GIF
>>92754520
Sounds like a trick, whats the take?
>>
>>92744447
>The elder scrolls seems very interesting.
really? why do you think its interesting?
I saw both gameplay streams and it was really underwhelming.
Races are practically the same and only have 1 different ability, most of magic schools are also garbage and they barely do anything fun
The fact that at its core it's supposed to be a game with a large campaign and designed to be played in three sessions doesn't appeal to me either.
>>
oh no arrakers.

They're double dipping.
>>
File: 57 - bleeding cowboys.png (5.99 MB, 2000x2000)
5.99 MB
5.99 MB PNG
>>92727742
The black exile visits every game in the geek top 100. Chapter 57

>>92733289
We shame the slow people into not doing it again
TI4. Probably? As a once a year thing maybe.
I've been the problem at my table. I sometimes like to take some stupid strategy to its absolute limit, and sometimes games are not prepared for that
>>
File: yoooooooo.jpg (30 KB, 640x480)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>92755073
why would they make dune look so generic?
>>
Bought Pax Pamir, what i'm in for?
>>
File: 657s0n-4005061237.png (142 KB, 600x338)
142 KB
142 KB PNG
>>92755073
you gotta be shitting me, War for Arrakis JUST came out and already has a shitload of content especially if you have the kickstarter version how much more do they want out of it
>>
>>92755389
Absolute ludo
>>92755116
I mean it's better art than the new version of Dune classic and better designs than half of the new movieshit. Chani, Rabban and Emperor Shaddam are absolutely retarded and terribly miscast. Honestly the best adaptation is still Lynch's Dune, milking the cat and all
>>
>>92755393
it did way better than they expected probably, even more considering the good reviews, so this is basically a reprint campaign with a new expansion.
>>
File: 1689296659891365.png (4.72 MB, 1293x1600)
4.72 MB
4.72 MB PNG
>>92755389
Loving it so much you move on to pax ren.
But really it's a great time of *cooperation* into backstabbing shenanigans.
>>
File: lgtj.jpg (402 KB, 1600x900)
402 KB
402 KB JPG
Interesting perspective on this game, which sold on kickstart for $69 deluxe edition all expansions, call it $90 - $100 for shipping. It's going for like $350 on the gulag market.

This is not a big game. It takes like 40 mins to play with 3 people. I've played this game at that player count a bunch. In my opinion this game sucks. I've won every single time I've played by simply maximizing the number of times I take a bonus walk on each day because the points you can get from that vastly outscale anything else giving you bonuses. This was obvious to me on the first playthrough, I have not seen a strategy that beats it, and the game is only interesting insofar as you can try to screw with people trying to do that.

I saw all the cards this game has within 2-3 playthroughs. It has cards that are just bad and you can screwed over by if you're unlucky enough to draw and then be passed them (which you likely will because they're the worst cards in the deck). I never ever played this cards because you can just take a walk with a random card instead and - again - the upside of this was just way better than playing the card.

I don't really know why people are paying so much for this game.
>>
>>92755073
I sold my copy of this at 2x the price I paid for it a couple weeks ago lmao.
>>
>>92755107
has TBE ever truly left the mansions of madness
>>
>>92755894
FOMOers got btfo, the quickest reprint in CMON history.
>>
>>92755887
The gulag isn't a good place to estimate secondary market value tbqh, I buy like half my games used and I've almost always paid prices below gulag average.

Plus I think the game was supposed to teach people moonrunes or something? I assume this serves as justification to spend much more than usual.
>>
any recommendations for 6-7 players, most being new to the hobby?
>>
>>92756163
7 wonders, cosmic encounter (you need expansions for that player count), citadels
>>
>>92756163
Sushi Go! Party, Startups, Deep Sea Adventure, Bristol 1350, Challengers!, 6Nimmt.
Then, when they are good and ready, you get them onto Sidereal Confluence, Struggle of Empires, and Stationfall.
Or as I like to call it, the SSS.
>>
>>92756163
7 Wonders; 6Nimmt (professional rules); Citadels; No Thanks; Codenames; Bullet Heart+Star; The Resistance Avalon; Saboteur; Camel Up; Deception Crime in Hong Kong
>>
File: 1687889991521728.jpg (62 KB, 500x500)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
>>92756234
>Bullet Heart+Star
King!
>>
File: Between Two Cities.jpg (89 KB, 600x600)
89 KB
89 KB JPG
>>92756163
>>
>>92756234
>Bullet Heart+Star
I can't control my right knee....
>>
>>92756252
>>92756374
What makes bullet so good?
>>
>>92756163
Challengers! Beach Cup and Zoo Vadis
>>
>>92756383
Its fast, satisfying, varied roster, pretty much no downtime, straightforward to teach, has player elimination but game is over so quick at that point there very little waiting around (2-4 minutes), banging soundtrack to use as your timer.
Nothing but pluses. Some people might not be able to handle the stress or real time aspect.
>>
>>92756383
simple, fast, lets players be in control, and supports up to 8 players if you buy both core boxes

if Galaxy Trucker played up to 8 players it'd be tied with Bullet (because despite having more game it also has more downtime as you're just journeying and drawing cards)
>>
>>92756577
>>92756344
>>92756234
>>92756233
>>92756182
thanks
>>
>>92756383
It isn't good, it's just budget weebs trying to sell ripoff touhou to you. I'm sorry you had to find this out from me.
>>
>>92754254
shogi
>>
>>92749271
but can dice do this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRAe9Xd02KE
>>
>>92756903
I hate anime and love Bullet though.
>>
>>92757056
Yes, many people online are contrarians.
>>
>>92753668
Something about peps (pawn equivalent points) in this one is really killing me.

>>92755107
Thanks as always
>>
>>92756903
>ripoff touhou
it's closer to ripoff chess, with how theres random pieces dropping in, and you clear them out by lining them up in a pattern
>>
>>92757103
Thank you for being the prime example.
>>
>>92756903
>bait
the designers literally say themselves they based the theme and ideas off video game bullet hells, even the developer made music for a board game sounds like a homeage to touhou soundtracks
I bought the game recently for my group of 6 to play, and they loved how fast it was to play, and several mentioned they liked the musical timers that were made for the game (I have yet to see another board game that's done something like this too)
>>
>>92757447
>you're right but it's still bait
???????
>>
>>92757479
Yes.
>>
>>92757447
>(I have yet to see another board game that's done something like this too)

Escape: The Curse of the Temple has a musical timer, and I'm pretty sure the zombie version has one as well.
>>
>>92757544
That's cool to see, real time board games look fun af, I've been meaning to get galaxy trucker but my playgroup gets quite big sometimes so it's hard to get games that don't go up to 8
>>
>>92757689
if your group is that big maybe check out Blood on the Clocktower. excellent design although quite pricey if you don't proxy it yourself
>>
>>92757479
Yes.
>>
>>92753428
cottage is the most important since visitors make or break you. If you play a 3p+ game and everyone else thinks that making wine is what youre supposed to do, dont even bother making wine, just spam windmill/tastingroom/visitors while they block eachother on the winemaking spots
>>
>>92753668
>>92753425
>not playing the modern euro chess
>pieces can only stay on their own side of the board, except a few specific squares on the opponents side to give the illusion of interaction (its never worth crossing the middle line)
>you start with just pawns and a king
>pawns do very basic resource actions, the king can do a promotion action to create the other pieces
>putting pieces into specific patterns give you bonus points
>after 10 turns the game ends and a bunch of cards are flipped over that give you bonus points for specific situations, to make sure you never know who was winning until the end
>>
>>92756163
masquarade, although thats the less popular bruno.

If you can train their assholes gently try to slip in new angeles after a few evenings
>>
>>92757447
Space alert has audio tracks for each of the default scenarios but last I heard they're not music and at best just ambience with occasional "draw a card" or "comms have been cut! [static that lasts a few minutes to remind you you can't communicate]" voiced in.
>>
what are some fun dice centric games that can be solo'd a little? I've played elder sign and fuse. less random tokens the better
>>
>>92758498
Tesseract
>>
>It's human nature to love what you don't have
allright you sick fucks which game is it
>>
>>92760232
i have reached board game nirvana, you tell me
>>
>>92760232
I suppose I'd like to have burning banners but, honestly, I'd probably be a bit dissapointed by it anyway.

What I woukd really like to have is more time to play games with friends
>>
>>92760232
Horseless Carriage, Ta Seti Expansion for Kemet and the Age of Reformation cards for Pax Ren, they are SO fucking expensive to get.
>>
>>92760985
>Age of Reformation cards for Pax Ren
Funny, I thought so as well until I checked out the ion games site yesterday. They're 10 dollars and shipping even to europe was pretty reasonable (5.something dollars). I mean, don't get me wrong, 15 bucks for a few cards is still steep, but acceptable
>>
>>92761008
Shipping to Chile adds a lot more to the cost, I'm not sure if it actually ships here lol, and last time I ordered something from another country customs fucking DESTROYED it and had to re-buy it 2 more times until I finally got an untouched box.
>>
>>92761031
Huh that'll drive prices indeed. I'd have thought - for no real reason, I might add - that north - south america shipping is a lot cheaper than transatlantic. Pretty shitty indeed. Why does stuff get destroyed? Or does it get """"destroyed""""" and someone bags it?
>>
I hate the current cutesy nature trend in games but I have a feeling the next trend will be even worse
>>
>>92762147
like, its so inoffensive and bland. and always with the same water colour artwork yuck
>>
>>92744691
>Narrative set on a small land portion of a probably much bigger world

Are there white people everywhere in our planet too?
>>
>>92762147
I love it, it makes my gf much more willing to play.
>>
>>92762147
Low poly undersaturated weird west themed art
>>
File: renature in play.jpg (103 KB, 900x600)
103 KB
103 KB JPG
>>92762147
It's cool as long as the animals aren't anthropomorphic.
>>
>>92762147
Agree, but honestly, I likely wouldn't have liked the games anyway.
Embarassingly, the same tired old, relatively generic sci fi/fantasy themes still work for me for some reason.
>>
New Bread
>>92762928

>>92762928

>>92762928

>>92762928

>>92762928

exile-anon, I've been meaning to give you a photoshoot of The Big & The Black for months, but by the time you get there it might even fall off the top 100 :(

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.