[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: valvoline.jpg (57 KB, 909x505)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
Should I buy the 'proper' differential fluid for fucking $100 a liter or buy this instead? For my car BMW recommends this

Front: Hypoid Axle Oil G2 (83-22-2-413-511) (SAE 75W-85)
Rear : Hypoid Axle Oil G3 (83-22-2-413-512) (SAE 70W-80)

and pic related is a fraction of the price but doesnt match the ratings (75w-90 vs the other 2)... I figure its probably close enough though. Is this a bad idea? y/n
>>
It will fuck up your shit up when its not rated for your vehicle
>>
>>27666129
With engine oil there's some sway room, 0w-30 vs 5w-40 etc, why wouldn't it be the same for the differential? Or do you mean something else?
>>
I wouldn't risk it desu
>>
>>27666078
>do I want to cheap out on maintaining this very expensive and very complicated machine that I rely on for my livelihood
>>
>>27666078
Go for it, OP
What's 5 or 10 oil weight difference anyways? It's not like anything bad could happen, BMW is just being greedy.
And by being a BMW owner, that means you're both smart and rich enough to know better.
>>
>>27666078
For straight diff it probably doesn’t matter but if you have some fancy LSD they have very specific tolerances for the oil.
>>
>>27666078
Stop being a BMW autist and put in some Redline fluid. I use redline for all my drivetrain fluids and its fine. There is no special additive in the OEM fluid that makes it worth $50 a quart.
>>
>>27666548
Aight bud I found this. It's a perfect match for the front and ehh close enough for the rear. Literally can't find 70w80 anywhere so fuck BMW for calling for a unique blend. I'll pay an extra $8/L for this but hell to the naw for the $120/L they want for the rear

Also I'm going to assume O'Reilly is wrong when they say this doesn't 'fit' my bmw
>>
>>27666535
I read a horror story on a forum where some guy did this and said his diff was clacking when turning the car, so that's why I want to use the proper viscosity, but then again a difference of 5 shouldn't really amount to shit in the first place
>>
>>27667172
Some have friction modifiers that make them special.
>>
>>27666078
Get the Liqui Moly equivalent. Made in Germany. I’ve ran that stuff for years in me E92 with no issues.
Yeah don’t get that Valvoline stuff, it’s made by mouth breathing ameritards for their shitty “muscle” cars.
>>
>>27667239
Wouldn't that kind of thing be regulated under the specifications? Like GL-5
>>
>>27666078
Make sure its full Hypoid or expect trouble.
>>
File: IMG_3951.jpg (403 KB, 1170x1085)
403 KB
403 KB JPG
>>27667344
Nope it’s an entirely bmw thing for their high dollar diffs, your probably isn’t being an x5 but just be aware that they do truly shit like that.
>>
>>27666078
After having dealt with a Jeep and its Vari-Lock diffs I think where you could have problems is if the limited slip additive in the cheaper stuff doesn't get along with the diff clutch friction materials which results in chattering and odd squealing noises on turns. Assuming the diffs are actually limited slip of course. If they're not then you'll never notice that the lube is slightly thicker at temp.
>>
Use Amsoil you dumb niggers
>>
>>27666078
If you don't have an lsd that valvoline shit will fuck up your diff as it contains friction modifiers for lsd's.
>>
>>27666078
>bought a BMW
>tries to cheap out on maintenance
unironically ngmi
>>
>>27666078
unless it's got an lsd I just put 90w in them.
only clutch lsd needs special fluid.
>>
>>27668071
No it won't
>>
>>27668071
it's the other way round. non lsd oil in lsd = more chattering and more wear
>>
>>27667344
>>27667380
Nigga it says "GL-5" right on the BMW bottles. It is not special.
>>
>>27668077
kek that's every BrownMW owner ever
my paki neighbor's 750 is a lawn ornament
>>
this is why so many used BMWs are clapped out, retarded owners that buy them and can't afford them cheap out on maintenance treating them like their last car (toyota). like dude it's a $50 difference. if you can't afford an extra $50 for a 60k mile service then you should have stuck with the toyota.
>>
>>27666078
Its beyond fine. The fact that you even bothered to change diff fluid means it will last 5X longer than the average retard
>>
>>27669170
I guess that's why they call it an X5... *dabs*
>>
>>27669404
carlos. i'm going to gut you like a fish thrn spit roast you over a nice hickory log fire

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.