[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Let’s say hypothetically I want to launch a new sport car brand and I want it to be relevant for at least the next century, how do I do that?
>>
>>27637380
dont
>>
>>27637380
Hyper-target the youth and the poor with a neo-mustang ideal. Make a sexy and fast-ish car with zero factory infotainment and sell it for cheap (not "comparatively cheap" but for Toyota Corolla prices)
>>
>>27637380
>pick an existing engine
>design the plastic interior and aluminum exterior
>let actual engineers do the rest
You've now got a Kia
>>
>>27637380
Quiet cars don't attract sports car buyers. In fact, watch Maserati implode in the next 6 years because of just that
>>
>>27637380
step 1. be a billionaire
step 2. get other billionaires to give you their money instead of spending your own

it's more accessible to be a mod brand like Singer
>>
>>27637380
Humans will be extinct in 20 years.
>>
>>27637380
>Manual
>No assists
>Cheap
>Rwd

The best thing to do is revive the ideal of NA and NB Miata. Balanced and fun. Roadster optional.
>>
>>27637380
>lightweight
>cheap
>shitbox potential
>>
>>27637380
Light, simple, powerful, manual everything, minimal electronics. Hard coupe standard. Two seats compatible with a 4-point from the factory. I guess ABS is mandatory but the only nannies should be power brakes and hydraulic power steering.

I'd love something like a C4 Corvette with the drivetrain of the C6 and the aluminum frame of a C7, Penske coilovers instead of magnaride.
>>
>>27637380
Its an EV
>>
>>27638499
This. You have to have billions.
You can be the smartest and most passionate engineer on the planet and it doesn't mean shit if you don't have a ton of cash.
>>
>>27637380
Get a MBA degree.
Get into the exec suite of an existing automaker.
Get heavy into the product development branch.
Take the reins.
>>
>>27637380
Zoomers dont drive, boomers only buy SUVs and millenials are too poor
>>
>>27637380
Prioritize partnering with the government on fleet cars/trucks so you'll have guaranteed contracts to manufacture weapons and vehicles if/when there's another major war before 2124. Everyone from Ford to Dodge, Chevy, Rolls Royce, Mercedes, BMW, Mitsubishi and so on all survived by producing things for militaries during wartime when regular brands would've suffered.
Only then can you worry about the details of the sports cars themselves (presuming you want to be relevant for a century).
>>
Produce hyper looking cars like koenigsegg and made them as economic as practically possible like Miata. Done. You're now a revolutioner and queued in three letter agency's kill list.
>>
>>27637380
You can't without basically unlimited money. Regulations have made it impossible to be a new "sports car brand" without insane amounts of money and insane prices. There is no industry in the world outside of commercial aerospace with a higher regulatory barrier to entry than automotive. All carmakers outside of specialty low volume collector car sellers like koenigsegg and ferrari survive on selling disposable fuel economy focused garbage to keep their average fuel economy, emissions, etc. within government limits. You literally can't do something like >>27638542 in the modern era and make money. Even Lotus barely survived the 2000s and wouldn't exist now if not saved by outside cash and compromising on their original goals.
>>
>>27637380
Kill yourself then reincarnate yourself as the son of some richer than fuck parents.
>>
>somehow partner with a Chinese company to make near identical copies of 90s classic tuners supra, skyline, e34, lancer. copyright and steal designs out the fucking ass. integrate and flood the us market with cheap chinesium battery tech and undercut tesla. theres barely a low end market for EVs right now. do this at a mind-boggling pace, like blitzkrieg the US ev market. print money and establish generational wealth within a year. deal with legal ramifications later.
There has to be 10,000 changs already thinking of this, but they need a round eye to grease the wheels
>>
>>27637380
>I want it to be relevant for at least the next century, how do I do that?
shape of egg
1 trans option and its auto
cheapest suspension design possible
>>
>>27637380
V8, manual
>>
>>27637380
win lemans and f1
>>
>>27639036
Chang only wants to copy the new garbage because that's what other Changs will buy.
>>
>>27637412
You can't make a cheap car without making it in huge volumes, which obviously would not work for that design

>>27638499
>>27638744
This is why venture capitalists exist, many complete morons have achieved this type of funding, see Nikola (marketer founded), Fisker (A surface designer founded), Lucid (engineer founded). It's really not hard to get in the low millions to start a startup if you are at all credible, and if you have the slightest bit of traction after that, you can get the money.

>>27638757
This is the least sensible path

>>27638841
Gov contracts seem nice in theory, but remember the government is dysfunctional and irrational, so relying on it in any significant degree will always burn you, better to go straight B2B or to consumers.

>>27638906
Wrong, see above, has happened multiple times even in the last 5 years
>>
>>27638718
>but the only nannies should be power brakes and hydraulic power steering.

Weakness doesn't belong in sport. Manual steering and brakes. Every day is leg day when you need to stop.
>>
>>27639036
Chinks don't like classic cars you dipshit. Also
>implying a chink-made clone of a car that wouldn't pass modern emissions, fuel economy or safety tests would pass those tests

>>27639604
>see above,
your entire post is you naming companies that make zero sports cars you utter complete fucking retard. And one of those companies you named has failed TWICE. Great examples fuckwit
>>
File: Untitled2.png (352 KB, 2194x911)
352 KB
352 KB PNG
>>27637380
the first step is how do you get to be a "manufacturer?" car company x can put out whatever car they want as it meets standards? you need to get to a point where you can put a vin on something... how do you do that? some kind of program. it looks like in the motorcycle world there are middlemen for this process. Frankly I would love to build scooters so this process is interesting to me
>>
>>27641415
Those typos make me suspect it's a scam
>>
>>27637380
You release some prototype or limited release that does something weird, for example make a car that has limited flying capabilities. You then make an insanely expensive car that does that but the real money is making a normal car for cheaper that looks similar to that other car. When driving all the nomies go, oh its that car that can fly.
>>
the car wouldnt have to be fast or handle well if the engine is tunable and the chassis can be stripped down easily. extremely modifiable chassis like the civic, miata, s chassis, bmw 3 series etc are extremely well known and popular options for enthusiasts due to the insane aftermarket and different builds people do with them. the new 86/brz has done surprisingly well for how slow it is due to how modifiable it is. also accessibility is a huge requirement. making it as cheap as possible will help a lot with getting as many on the road as possible and cementing the car as a staple of the enthusiast world.
>>
>>27637412
This is the only suggestion in this thread with any relevancy or the ability to do what OP wants.

Everything else is either the unpopular desires of an unpopular board or incredibly stupid for one reason or another.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.