[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 722ujfgieluc1.jpg (98 KB, 648x734)
98 KB
98 KB JPG
Any fellow Texans here? Summer is right around the corner and I am starting to feel the heat. I'm expecting that we will reach 100F (38C) temperatures very soon. Is there any way at all to deal with this? or I just have to embrace being sweaty?
>>
You know what they're going to say.. Lycra and bibs.
>>
>>1991499
and a change of clothes
>>
>>1991477
This is not accurate because we're not at norwood 9 or roided up to the point where our hearts explode

Anyway my recommendation is to leave t*xas
>>
Atlanta here.
I've gotten in the habit of taking my shirt off before the ride and then going slow whenI near the destination, just fast enough to air-cool but without any real exertion. try to cool down as much as I can that way. then when I get off the bike I carry a washcloth and sponge down until I'm dry. then put on the shirt and join the destination.
I used to carry bandanas but I'd soak through those.
>>
>>1991477
>wordswordswords
the left can't meme
>>
>>1991477
former austinite here. i don't see how there's any way around it. ideally there's somewhere to shower when you arrive at your destination, if you're commuting for work. my commute wasn't super long so i would ride veery sedately on my way there. that said, i was a grad student so i never really needed to look like an adult. i always thought it would be impossible if i had to arrive to work in business casual attire looking like i didn't just crawl out of a pool. also i moved to maine a few months ago. fuck texas.
>>
>>1991477
Just make sure your workplace is all downhill from where you live so you only have to sweat on the way home.
>>
>>1991477
blimpbike
>>
>>1991633
Big brain
>>
the beauty of riding a bicycle is that you don't need to wear any protective gear since you won't be going faster than 30mph at maximum anyway
>b-but helmets
helmets are for mountain biking and motorcycling
>>
File: 1713296451089.jpg (112 KB, 500x500)
112 KB
112 KB JPG
>>1991477
AZ here.
>extra pair of clothes
>shower at work if needed
>cover every exposed piece of skin in sunscreen
>drink water
>>
Arizonan here. Drink lots of water and suck on rock salt/electrolyte tablets.
>>
Wet your clothes when the water evaporates you'll cool down
don't do this with stuff that chaffs like denim
>>
File: brodie enters the race.gif (530 KB, 220x168)
530 KB
530 KB GIF
water bottle, baggy shorts, flip flops.

Nothing else needed.
>>
Just drive a car. No one at the office wants to smell your stankass after riding a bike in the most humid and hot state in America to work.
>>
if i lived in Texas i would drive a car
>>
if I lived in texas I would kill myself
>>
>>1991921
you should kill yourself as if you lived in texas
>>
Like everyone says a change of clothes, also before I change I usually wipe down the extra sweaty areas like underarms and my back with the shirt I was wearing so you at least remove a lot of the sweat that way
>>
File: 20240429.jpg (77 KB, 496x768)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
>>1991477
>>1991631
go faster?

>>1991821
I rather a place where cars are NOT essential for a satisfactory work/life balance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORzNZUeUHAM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN7mSXMruEo
>>
>>1991477
Spanish here.

Shower and use a mild body gel every morning. Apply odorless deodorant.

Wear natural fiber clothing only, not too tight and in light colours.

Shower in the evening if needed but without soap.

You could be sweaty, but never smelly
>>
>>1991477
Embrace sweat. Two bottle cages, always.
>>
>>1991477
Tempefaggot here

I know I am going to get shit on this board for it but I bought an electric bike to combat that and wind. PAS is fucking a blessing when it is 110F and 80% humidity in monsoon season. Usually PAS to work then for exercise pedal back home unless it's monsoon season and 112+80% humidity+haboob
>>
>>1991477
lose weight and body fat, go slower, wear less clothing, that's it
>>
>>1991504
>leave t*xas
why?
everyone is going there
>>
>>1991477
just get a car like a normal man
>>
>>1995005
>posts a literal fucking commie advocating for people living in pods

nevermind, keep cycling, with any luck a carchad will end your life
>>
>>1991477
Velo with second skin, swamp cooler, and walkable community. Also, migrate.
>>
>>1991477
I live in the Houston area and walk to work.
I can do it because it's about a mile or so away and just takes 20-25 minutes one-way.
Since the summer is coming back I'll start bringing a towel with me to wipe down. It's definitely doable if you at least change shirts in the restroom (nobody should know what's going on around your crotch).

The primary barrier if you're physically fit is simply time, and how much of it you're willing to sacrifice to walk or bike rather than drive. You might want to add buffers to account for the time you'll need/want to freshen up on-site. I've biked to the grocery store and other places and, despite the apparent stereotypes of Texas drivers, most people are relatively sane/ethical and actually don't want to kill you. Just be extra cautious near the highway intersections or avoid them entirely, if possible.
>>1991631
Austin is rough due to how hilly it is. I've seen bike lanes at such steep inclines there that I wonder if any brave soul has actually used them. Houston is a shithole, but at least biking is easy on the body because everything is as flat as a Japanese cartoon girl.
I'm glad you got to escape the brown hordes in minority-White Texas and enjoy Maine's Whitetopia. If only all of us could be so lucky.
>>
>>1995517
>advocating being a normie
election tourists are a plague
>>
>>1995905
there is nothing more reddit than being
>fuckcars
>>
Sweat.

Designed to cool.
>>
>>1995977
fuckcars is based tho, they make car-free memes which indoctrinate people into eco-radicals that attack pickup trucks
>>
File: PXL_20240504_032251315.jpg (1.8 MB, 2592x1944)
1.8 MB
1.8 MB JPG
>>1991665
Hello fellow desert dweller. How hot is too hot to ride? 102+? I can water and sun screen but heat stroke sounds like ass.
>>
>>1991477
In high heat there's basically nothing you can do to prevent sweat. Your best best is to instead maximize moisture wicking and odor control. Get as much of the sweat to evaporate before it builds up. This will also make sweating more effective at cooling you off.

If at work, I assuming you don't need to be in a suit so pack clean clothes and especially a good under layer. Merino wool boxers and socks will help you be less sweaty, control odor and you'll feel a lot better. After you undress in the bathroom/closet whatever at work, give yourself wipe down in the pits, crotch, and any other areas like that. Microfiber or other quick drying thing so you can just rinse it in the sink. Apply deodorant and you should be good to go. If you need other clothes at work, you may want to see if you can leave them there at the start of the week.

The only thing I have not figured out for looking halfway decent is sweaty hair. When my hair was long it always looked bad even after brushing it out at the office. I go short in the summer now and it dries much faster. Also goes without saying but if you are using a helmet make sure it's one with good airflow. Not all brain buckets are equal in this regard.
>>
>living in texifornia
i will never get tired of watching california liberals destroy texas like a plague of locusts.
>>
>>1996015
I'm sorry man, it was already broken before they started moving there.
>>
>>1991477
that kid likely lives in rural america where there is no PT and his school is 30 miles from his house, and has a job after school at the metal shop. He shouldnt be forced to buy a car, it should be a gift paid for in full for his birthday.
>>
>>1996015
Texans should really thank the transplants, now they have a convenient scapegoat for their failures rather than owning up to them.
>>
>>1996003
that's extremely cringe
>>
>>1995897
i'm not a white supremacist and minorities were not the people i was eager to get away from. fuck you.
>>
>>1991477
Use sunhoody, bibs, helmet with good vents, embrace the sweat, protect yourself from sun, take shower
>>
>move to the edge of city
>bus to the centre takes 43 minutes
>or I drive for 9 mins, and get the park & ride which takes 15 mins to get into the centre

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.