[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/m/ - Mecha

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

What is the consensus of /m/ on this one ?
>>
The consensus is you should watch it and form your own opinion and lurk moar.
>>
Very pretty movie, but people who say its a decent replacement for watching SDFM proper are smoking crack rocks
>>
>>22600317
Better animation than Char's Counterattack.
>>
I never watched Macross but I always thought Minmay and Hikaru were the canon couple, I assume it's not?
>>
>>22600771
True, was kind of a dumb question lol
Is it just TV series and then the movie which is a retelling?
>>
>>22600791
The movie has some changes. For example: in the show, Hikaru met Minmay before she became famous, but in DYRL she's already famous by the time they meet.
>>
>>22600795
Thank you.
I was referring to the first Macross, I think the only one I'd watch would be Macross 7.
Is there an order for the OVAs?

>>22600801
Funnily enough I think this difference is the only thing I know about Macross.
>>
Movie version of Minmay deserved better. She had none of the problems of the TV version and Misa barely had any development for Hikaru to fall tor her so easily. Basically:

TV: Misa > Minmay
Movie: Minmay > Misa

Also, Max becoming a giant instead of Milia becoming a micron was kind of retarded.
>>
>>22600811
II is dogshit and you should just skip it. Plus can be watched at any point after the first series, preferably alongside 7 since they were made at the same time and there's references to it through the series. Zero is before Frontier since it's the only series with passing references to it.
>>
File: Filtered Logo.png (34 KB, 1200x630)
34 KB
34 KB PNG
>>22601039
>>
>>22601478
no one ever talks about II except in the annoying contrarian way of "...well I like it!"
the designs are horrid, the music bland, the characters just dont make an impact
maybe not SHIT, but definitely not as good as mainline macross
>>
>>22601613
The animation is stunning, the music is angelic and the story is a beautiful piece of poetry. This movie is a piece of art for true kino tasters.
You are just a retarded fan of guns and machinery who can't enjoy aestheticism and purity in art. In one word, you are a faggot.
>>
>>22601741
>>
>>22600662
Stop coping over cca for once, you friendless loser
>>
File: 1708655640397867.jpg (67 KB, 859x1024)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
>>22601774
This board needs to stop worshipping CCA. What nobody wants to admit is CCA and DYRL are not that good. Somewhat good, but short of great.
>>
>>22601778
They are better than akira.
>This board needs to stop worshipping CCA.
We don't. Tell that to ppl outside this site. Idiot.
>>
>>2260177
Funny how fast you were quick to reply. Says a lot about your life outside this board. Also wojak is not allowed here.
>>
File: 1436739065723.jpg (70 KB, 640x480)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
Well I think if the Harmony Gold shit didn't happen and it was just released on a VHS in the 80s then it would be up there with Ghost in the Shell and Akira for old animated movies westerns never shut the fuck up about so it's either a good thing or a bad thing!
>>
File: Clash of the Bionoids.jpg (181 KB, 836x1500)
181 KB
181 KB JPG
>>22601841
It did get released in the US in the 80s as "Clash of the Bionoids."
>>
I hate tourists so much
>>
>>22601784
Visually, no lmao. Akira, Ghibli, Ghost in the Shell, etc all outclass your average /m/ flick by miles. I mean fuck, 90% of the background art in CCA is space.
>>
>>22601883
Uh, Yes. Maybe you should stop worshipping old animated movies westerns never shut the fuck up about & watch more anime including /m/ anime. But we know you won't. Because bait spammers don't like watching anime.
>>
>>22601858
https://youtu.be/cb0K-XZUQaQ

Huh...
It's weird how it looks like shit here when I know it's one of the most beautiful movies ever made
>>
>>22601941
It's a poor VHS recording from probably (intentionally) poor masters.
>>
>>22600317
beautiful film but not a substitute for watching SDF Macross
>>
>>22602162
No that company released all its anime on shitty EP tapes because it was cheaper.

>>22601858
There's also the uncut Super Space Fortress Macross release and the Kiseki Films version in the UK. This dub even came out on Laserdisc.
>>
Did I download a bad copy or is a lot of this movie out of focus and kind of hard to watch?
>>
>>22602977
>>
>>22602977
That's just how it was filmed back in the day. Older low quality sources hid some of this.
>>
>>22602983
weird, i've never noticed this in other 80s movies ive seen
>>
>>22600811
Order:
SDF Macross
Macross Do You Remember Love
Macross Flashback 2012 (it's just musical clips but if you really liked the series it's a nice short watch)
That's all that there is from the original series. Then you have:
Macross II, 6 OVAs IIRC
Macross Plus, 4 OVAs and a movie version of them with a few minutes added (worth it if you really liked the OVAs)
Macross 7, which is 49 or so episodes, then Encore, The Galaxy is Calling Me and finally 4 OVAs called Dymanite, which everyone says is the best version of 7
Macross Zero, a prequel
Macross Frontier, 26 episodes and 2 movies
Macross Delta, TV series and 2 movies I believe
>>
>>22601941
Horrible dub and horrible quality, but it has the actual music of the movie and they use the actual names of the characters.
>>
>>22604305
>which everyone says is the best version of 7
It's a sequel you fucking retard.
>>
People have ripped the whole dub and paired it with better video.

https://archive.org/details/macrossdoyourememberlove1984englishdub

A lot of kids saw the edited for time and violence version. There was two versions of nearly everything Peregrine Films licensed to Celebrity Home Entertainment like this so you could have cut or uncut Dallos, the Baldios Movie, Locke the Superman, etc.

https://archive.org/details/macross-in-clash-of-the-bionids-vhs-rip

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.