[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: ceo mindset.jpg (46 KB, 640x774)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>read about a religion
>"ooh, maybe I'll convert"
>read about a political ideology
>"ooh, maybe this is what I should follow?"
Books that will help me stop being so weak-minded and suggestible?
>>
>>23351684
Just make the decision to stop letting people penetrate your mind pussy and stop having a follower mentality because the world is a den of vipers and ulterior motives and the best truth is always going to be the one you make yourself and force on other people. L Ron Hubbard mode.
>>
You'll grow out of it when you're over 20.
>>
File: DVwGOaaUQAA8H_0.jpg (235 KB, 1040x1015)
235 KB
235 KB JPG
>>23351684
Stop reading and trust your animal instinct.
>>
I'm just a theist communist liberal fascist sympathising monarchist
>>
Gracian:
>Do not go with the last Speaker.

>There are persons who go by the latest edition, and thereby go to irrational extremes. Their feelings and desires are of wax: the last comer stamps them with his seal and obliterates all previous impressions. These never gain anything, for they lose everything so soon. Every one dyes them with his own colour. They are of no use as confidants; they remain children their whole life. Owing to this instability of feeling and volition, they halt along cripples in will and thought, and totter from one side of the road to the other.
>>
>>23351684
Whatever your parents believed, either believe that or believe the opposite of that (you can flip a coin if this decision is too daunting). Then assume everyone that doesn't agree with you is stupid, naive or deliberately lying for personal gain. Do not allow information that challenges your beliefs into your head, dismiss it immediately by applying one of the above labels to whoever or whatever presented you that information.
>>
>>23351684
I think part of why fiction is good is that it lets you explore what it would be like to believe in these things and to live in a world where they make sense. You just need to develop that sense of 'aesthetic distance' from the ideas. Appreciate ideas for the kinds of worlds and characters and moods they imply, rather than their objective truth. That's the Fiction Enjoyer's privilege.
>>
>>23351684
This is a blessing, even if it doesn't seem like one. Just find a belief system whose followers are typically happy and read its scholars. Ultimately being happy is a far better use of your time than being correct so be grateful that it's so easy for you to change what you believe.
>>
You know you don't have to dedicate your life for any person that makes one good argument, right?
>>
>>23351684
Depending on your age, that may be quite normal and excusable.
>>
>>23351684
Based picrel.
>>
>>23352968
Falsehoods are the path to damnation no matter their intentions.
>>
>>23351684
You need to have some core values you stubbornly adhere to.
>>
>>23351710
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ritual_behavior_in_animals
>>
>>23351684
Read books that oppose your worldview
>>
>>23351684
just pick one and stick with it. maybe you'll even chance on the right one, but just assume that you did and don't let anyone convince you otherwise no matter what.
>>
>>23351684
I'm like but only for stuff I'm actually interested in and believe in a little. It's just hard to find the discipline to stick to it.
>>
>>23353423
If you live your entire life with comforting but false beliefs that make you happy and die without ever knowing you were wrong, then what does it matter?
>>
>>23351704
>>23353079
I’m 25
>>
>>23353710
But what about after death?
>>
>>23351684
>I want to believe in something so deeply that I won't have think critically ever again.
Literally why? Why do crave certainty when we actually don't know shit?
>>
>>23354933
Did you mean to respond to another post?
>>
>>23353710
Reality always asserts itself. Irrational beliefs, unless strictly compartmentalized, tend to lead to irrational actions, and irrational actions tend to lead to failure and hardship.
>>
>>23351744
this
>>
>>23351684
Introduction to Christianity by Pope Benedict. If you're tempted to convert, at least convert to God's true Faith.
>>
>>23354940
Tell that to my liberal boomer parents
>>
File: IMG_6671.jpg (24 KB, 528x283)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>>23355245
>OP reads Introduction to Christianity by Pope Benedict
>becomes Catholic
>later reads Reformed Theology by R. C. Sproul
>becomes Protestant
>later reads The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins
>becomes atheist
>>
>>23355263
Yes people get rewarded for being stupid and evil all the time. They only need to be somewhat consistent in their participation. A better way of judging is to extend the timeframe of examination out to all their grandchildren.
>>
Are there no books that will actually help OP? I notice nobody has actually given any suggestions on books that can assist in making a person less weak-minded and suggestible
>>
>>23356037
Unironically occult practice of some kind is what OP needs. Pick a flavor that suits your existing biases and dive into it
>>
File: IMG_6674.jpg (348 KB, 1170x621)
348 KB
348 KB JPG
>>23356480
>OP reads occult book and starts practicing
>later reads anti-occult book and throws all the old occult stuff away
>>
This is the most retarded thread I’ve ever seen on /lit/
>OP says he’s easily pliable and wants some suggestion on developing a stronger will
>every response is just “you’re easily suggestible when it comes to religion? Convert to MY religion!”
>forgetting that even if they snag OP for a few weeks or a month, OP will just leave them once after finding something else
Did you retards really think OP had just never heard of Catholicism or the Occult before?
>>
>>23351684
what makes you so exceptional as to not be a follower ? You're just some guy on 4chan.
>>
>>23356984
Did you mean to respond to a different post?
>>
>>23351684
You can really smoke anywhere? I thought it was illegal
>>
>>23357523
Everything’s legal as long as you don’t get caught
>>
File: IMG_6681.jpg (33 KB, 451x680)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
Here’s a pop sci book on the subject, but I haven’t read it
>>
Op, there is no book for this. You will just realise one day that everyone that wrote those books you are being swayed by are themselves flawed and foolish individuals and are full of folly too.
>>
It must be terrifying being low iq, always susceptible to being swept off by the newest captivating idea because you have no ability to sit down and think for yourself.
>>
>>23358524
Brings to mind the former youtuber Sneako who loves getting on the bandwagon of every other influential person who appears more successful than he does and staking his life on them, ready to defend them with his life then abandoning them once someone more interesting enters the picture. Its fucking terrifying to think normies live like this, ignorant and even hostile to the truth, and ready to die for ideas they have no ability of scrutinizing.
>>
Just don't be a woman.
>>
>>23351684
>Books that will help me stop being so weak-minded and suggestible?
What might actually help you with that is stopping reading and otherwise exposing yourself to these things for a while.

Instead, stay away from books and other political/religious content for three months or so and journal your thoughts daily.
>>
>>23353543
why
>>
>>23351684
I've been in similar places. The key to not only deeply understanding concepts but also vetting them is context. Read about an idea and then go try it on for a whole. Go have life experiences and see if the perspective makes sense. If you read one after another, you're probably missing out.
>>
>>23351684
You're not weak minded and suggestible. You demonstrate awareness of your own suggestibility. The vast majority, 95% not even 80%, lack this basic awareness and brashly believe in the strength of their "own" convictions which are of course adopted second or third hand.
>>
>>23358040
ok groomer
>>
>>23351713
Makes sense to me.
>>
>>23351684
You should learn critical thinking in order to distinguish between good and bad arguments.
However you can learn something useful from almost every political, philosophical and religious dogma.
>>
You're already on the right path. Each last thing you read helps inform the new one, eventually you'll reach a point where all this knowledge converges, and you'll start to build your own belief system
>>
File: Propaganda.jpg (42 KB, 585x1000)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
Say no more.

This book has destroyed my faith in any political proposition. I feel like a puppet.
>>
>>23351684
You need to do some Hegelian Magicks and reach a synthesis from the various opposing views
>>
File: ego_and_its_own.jpg (64 KB, 600x951)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
>not posting certified lit classic
>>
>>23359860
>and you'll start to build your own belief system
Not necessarily a good thing. Many people do this and end up with shitty world views. Ideas aren't dialectical as you think, and get progressively better. Because your view of what's "better" change with it and it can get worse.
>>
>>23351684
People like you are needed, because leaders need followers.
But you need to follow the correct leader.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.