[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1700654190356.jpg (121 KB, 652x1000)
121 KB
121 KB JPG
I'm not sure I feel invested enough to go on.
Shadow of the Torturer felt like a really big prologue that had to end at a specific point so the author put lots of filler, with some enjoyable moments.
Should I stick with it?
>>
>>23319845
Picking this up at my library soon. If this book doesn't deliver I will post a seethe thread on this board. The story looks really intriguing, almost a Dark Souls vibe.
>>
Every part of the book is good. It's just as much about the setting of the stage, and the mystery of what's even going on in the world as it as about "things happening". If you don't like that, it's probably not for you.
>>
>>23319845
>I'm not sure I feel invested enough to go on.
>Shadow of the Torturer felt like a really big prologue that had to end at a specific point so the author put lots of filler, with some enjoyable moments.
>Should I stick with it?
I felt like everything after the first Act was filler in Dune.
Aftet chapter 22 which ends "book I - dune", most of the remaining 26 chapters in "book II - the muaddib" and "book III - the prophet" are various levels of filler, except the Vladimir Harkonnen chapters.

Dont you fucking tell me it takes all 26 chapters to explain how Paul ingratiate s himself with the Fremen. He wins their respect and worship and a wife among their people at the end of a single fight, 3 or 4 chapters into meeting them.

Paul's psychic visions added nothing to they story, but I'm told this is because in they 1960s, the cia was studying tks psychic powers of shrooms, and Frank Herbert was in on this. Reading about someone else's drug trip is more boring than hearing someone's dream.

With or without this context, the magic potion that united the community telepathically but for whatever reason we're not calling it telepathy was stupid.

The genius 2 year old daughter who kills a man at the end is also stupid.

Fuck Dune.
I still genuinely enjoyed the beginning, tho
>>
>>23320187
Anons will argue that Dune is better than BotNS.
>>
>>23319845
Sounds like the entire book passed over your head tbdesu. Maybe return to it in a couple of years when you're ready to read between the lines.
>>
>>23321036
I understood it perfectly, it just felt needlessly glacial in terms of pacing. Dedicating several chapters worth of book to some merchant scammer trying to off the protagonist in a duel for his fancy sword entirely as an excuse to have Severian get the Claw for example
>>
>>23321951
It tells you things about the world.
>>
>>23319845
The books are slow. Each books cover a very short span of time (if you ignore the harry potter intro of book 1 that goes over the whole childhood). Its pace is great though, I love a book that take its time like this. All of book 1 after exile is like 2 days long only but it goes in depth
>>
>>23321951
>Not enjoying the botanical gardens and lake of birds
Filtered. Don't even bother with the rest of the series.
>>
>>23319845
goyslop genrefaggotry
>>
>>23322275
This to be desu
>>
>>23320187
Absolutely correct, part 1 is head and shoulders above 2 and 3. I missed the political intrigue so much. The desert mysticism isn't nearly as interesting. Messiah and God Emperor are a lot better, though, so keep going.
>>
I'm wondering if I should reread Shadow of the Torturer before starting Claw since it's been 2 years since I read it.
>>
>>23319845
I almost dropped it after the first novel, but try the second one as well. I was in love with BotNS by the third novel. I loved Urth, Long Sun and Short Sun as well.
>>
File: 1000002198.png (504 KB, 532x879)
504 KB
504 KB PNG
>>23321951
you really shouldn't go on if you didn't like that part
>>
>>23319845
You're completely wrong. BOTNS might be the most well constructed literature I've ever read and everything in it is essential. There is literally zero (0) filler. But most of it will go over your head until re-reads. Then just about every page will blow your mind.
>>
>>23321951
>I understood it perfectly
Your hubris keeps your mind small. I guarantee you that about 90% of this book went over your head (which isn't abnormal on a first read, but get off your high horse).
>>
>>23319845
It’s not going to be a fun read the first time through champ
>>
>>23321951
The way Severian got the claw felt incredibly contrived desu.
>>
>>23322814
It really can't hurt. And at worst you pick something up that you missed last time.
>>
Completely agree
>>
>>23319845
>Should I stick with it?
Why are you reading it? The whole novel is one of those Japanese puzzle boxes that are pretty to look at and fun to figure out, but there's nothing inside it. There is no "point" to BotNS beyond the enjoyment of a well-told story, so if you're not actually enjoying that story then feel free to drop it.
>>
>>23319845
is the whole "unreliable narrator" thing a meme? i didn't pick up on that much despite people touting that as this book's best part
>>
>>23326119
Every time he touts his perfect memory he makes a mistake in his recollection.

But in general you can tell Severian is coping and trying to make himself seem less evil than he actually is, and watch him quickly gloss over things he can't reframe.
>>
>>23326129
he just randomly rapes everybody
>>
>>23326753
What a king
>>
>>23326753
>have consensual sex with a res haired whore
>she METOO’s you back in camp
Sev did nothing wrong
>>
Did Severian go nuts in the before the last book?
>>
>>23326783
even in his recollection he just forces himself on her, on nobody cares back in the camp except the other girl who is jealous

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.