[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: OIP (5).jpg (40 KB, 474x641)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
Digital art is ugly slop. At best it looks like concept art for a video game and usually it just drips with a stale soullessness that makes it repellant to all normal minded people.

I would not feel proud of showing any digital ""painting"" to friends or family. I would feel slightly embarrassed by it. I would show friends and family significantly lower skill traditional paintings.

There is something inherently disgusting about the idea of a man slouched in front of a computer or tablet and manipulating pixels on a screen when compared to working with real pigments, real materials, etc.

All digital art feels like it was made by an autistic person.
>>
>this retard again
thread hidden
>>
>>7155693
There is something inherently disgusting about the idea of a man slouched in front of a computer and keyboard, typing letters on a screen when compared to writing on real paper, with real pens, materials etc.

All digital text feels like it was written by an autistic person.
>>
>>7155693
>All digital art feels like it was made by an autistic person.
Are you implying that's bad, or that you are not autistic? (because you clearly are )
>>
A few years ago I would have laughed at you but AI has truly opened my eyes to what slop all digita artl is. I fully agree with you
>>
>>7155719
Honestly not even wrong
>>
Digital art is dead in a true and literal sense.

When you paint with watercolor you are very aware of how the medium you are using is actually a living thing. There's an unpredictability to the interplay of the water and the paint, happy accidents are constantly happening where the paint itself is surprising you. As you focus it on it deeply the medium itself reveals ever increasing levels of depth. It is exactly like the experience of when you look at a field of grass, you can then look at a spot of grass, then an individual blade of grass, then the animals moving on the grass, the dirt around the grass, the roots underneath it, etc. Endless complexity that increases as you increase your focus on the thing. This is the mark of reality, all things that exist in reality function this way.

This never happens digitally. You are painting with a pixelated stamp. There is some limited complexity based on things like pressure sensitivity affecting opacity or brush size, the interaction of layers, but that's about it and you are essentially playing with a toy version of a real art medium. All deeper complexity exists on a programming level that is irrelevant to you as the end user.
>>
>>7155735
Nothing feels more soulless than digital art trying to imitate the traditional look of watercolor or oils, it's just so inherently fake and soulless
>>
>>7155735
>This never happens digitally.
actually, this does happen, how would you explain the evolution of the medium?
>>
>>7155751
I'm talking about how art-making up until the digital age has always been about how the human must connect with something that exists in reality like oil, water, and minerals and create art by understanding these things at such a deep level that he is able to create imagined realities out of it.

Because these things are real, natural things created by God they are imbued with the same endless complexity that marks all things that exist in nature and that complexity is transmitted to your own art. This is not a textural difference, this is a felt experience with every stroke of your brush. You know acutely that you are working along with nature to create your art.

Digital art programs are made by humans and in that sense are like an animatronic horse vs a living horse. The same inherent lack of complexity exists. There is some limited amount of complexity in digital but it has been thoroughly explored even by many of the earliest adopters of the medium like Craig Mullins. It's a simpler complexity and the quality of the art made is more like a pure reflection of your own art skills. Your knowledge of value, your knowledge of form, lighting, etc, is shown with crystal clarity in digital because the medium itself is just an ugly stamp and imbues the art with no quality other than a dead soullessness. Any soul created is then from the artist solely rather than through a combination of artist and nature.

Additionally, there is seemingly little desire to increase the complexity of digital tools. Rebelle and other programs that offer a crude facsimile of traditional are deeply unsatisfying and reveal digital for what it truly is. Digital art is then understood as the absolute distillation of a medium down to the simplest possible thing so that the artist no longer has to commune with something beyond himself.

Digital art deprives the artist of the experience of working with a living medium and traps them inside of a digital hell
>>
>>7155774
LEDs exist in reality. They sting my eyes when they are too bright. agreed on the complexity thing, the lack of options for styluses is sad.
I don't feel that much different when I draw digitally or draw with a pen. many digital drawings have more soul than many traditional drawings.
>>
the only good digital art comes from artists who spent 10 years working traditional and then switched over. Even then a lot of the spontaneity is lost. Everyone who starts out digital develops the same rendering techniques and its always slop.
>>
cant wait for the digital "artist" cope in this thread
>>
>>7155884
lol cope? even digital artists know their craft is dead. what options will be for them in the future other than prompting with AI and fixing or tracing over it. a lot of them will refuse to do it but the next future of "digital artists" will certainly use AI instead of wasting time learning art. digital art was already cheap enough but it's been infinitely cheapened more so now
>>
>>7155774
zased... so fucking based
>>
>>7155719
friar tuck I kneel
>>
>>7155693
Fortunately AI killed digital art. As soon as I got wind of what the techfags were up to I transitioned to traditional. Bought some pencils, cheap paper, ink, nibs, etc. It feels fucking good to actually draw; the tactile sensations simply can't be reproduced. My wacom tablet lies in the corner now, collecting dust. I might use it again for cheap commissions and shit, but otherwise my workflow is always going to be trad from here on out.
>>
>>7156580
I saw some guy on twitter do anime oil paintings and selling them. I'd love to do that but I'm paranoid of shipping fucking up and losing the only copy or idiots claiming they never got it or that it's damaged
>>
>>7156582
sell prints of them and keep the original.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.