[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: a06.png (519 KB, 811x767)
519 KB
519 KB PNG
Why does drawing traditionally or in a sketchbook calm me while doing so digitally fill me with stress?
Anyone else have this dilemma?
>>
>>7153469
blue light and emf radiation for starters. trad is more natural, and less faggy, much like our ancestors
>>
>>7153469
I’m glad I’m not the only one who feels this, procreate is great for rendering and line art and whatnot but actually sketching on it just feels like there’s too much pressure for it to be good. Maybe because sketchbooks are cheap and iPads are upwards of 300 dollars
>>
>>7153469
Drawing traditionally provides you with an infinitely-tight feedback loop, minimizing the layers of indirection between the input (your movement) and output (the art). Drawing digitally requires you to constantly make adjustments in order to adapt to your software.
>>
>>7153469
It's probably because you are more confident with traditional. Just get better at digital sketching and it will go away.
>>
>>7153511
Forgot to add but yes, I have the same dilemma.
>>
>>7153469
The part of your consciousness that exists in the 5th dimension has seen all universal moments beginning to end and knows that all digital work will shortly be wiped from existence. This same sense lets you know that your trad drawings will live on long after you’re gone. This interdimensional intuition will also provide you with immediate feedback about the long term effects of whatever you are doing in that moment. In one way or another, perhaps the digital work has a net negative on the quality of your life and/or the lives of others.
>>
>>7153469
Because the lines do what you want them to, the colors actually flow, there's elements that aren't expected that can be added to whatever you're working on. With digital, you might get interesting effects, but it's akin to anything else done on computer and has to operate within the realm of it's programming. It feels soulless, you're not touching any physical art medium, you can't get that light rush of digging your arms into the ground and feeling like your spirit is rooting out to create new things. It's just 1's, 0's, and the ability to just erase whatever stupid mistake you made immediately instead of doing something with it.
>>
>>7153469
I have a similar issue where drawing on printer paper is more comfortable than my sketchbook, while MS Paint is more comfortable than CSP.
>>
>>7153469
Because digital is so easy to fix, people tend to be perfectionist with it.
So what would have been a five minute doodle with pen and paper becomes an hour long drawing where every line needs to be perfect when done digitally.
Lean the power of saying 'eh, good enough' and stop relying on ctrl+Z so much.
>>
>>7153469
I love opening a large canvas in CSP and just sketching thumbnails. It's a lot of fun especially if you don't worry about technical errors or getting everything to look right. You should try it sometime.
>>
>>7153469
I started painting traditionally and the difference in my mental state when painting vs when doing digital is unreal.
I just feel miserable when painting or drawing digitally. For me I think it's because it feels pointless, with 1000 better artists than me churning out better pictures every minute of every day. With trad, even if it's a bad painting, it's mine. It's a unique physical object that actually exists in the real world. There's something satisfying in that, that digital doesn't provide me.
>>
>>7153469
The inifinite zoom-in possibility. I like to draw tiny A5s and im still sitting there zooming in 10000X lke a retard when in reality once its printed not a single soul will be sitting over it with a fucking spyglass.
>>
File: don't.jpg (60 KB, 739x415)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
>>7153469
I know how you feel OP I can't like digital drawing no matter how much I try, I have a small drawing tablet so the experience is even worse than it would be normally but I can't bring myself to like the act.
Even a huge Cíntiq looks awkward, I don't like the act of drawing to begin with and digital is even worse.
I tried prompt for a day but the experience is even worse than drawing so maybe I should give up altogether and learn 3D, Pixel Art or even Music instead.
>>
>>7153630
>With trad, even if it's a bad painting, it's mine. It's a unique physical object that actually exists in the real world. There's something satisfying in that, that digital doesn't provide me.
Now that I think about it I feel the same way about buying printed comics and books vs webcomics and ebooks.
>>
>>7153686
>the experience is even worse than drawing so maybe I should give up altogether and learn 3D, Pixel Art or even Music instead.
Learn programming or game design. They're cooler than drawing and pay better.
>>
>>7153469
It's the opposite for me. I can play around with digital tools and have fun with them, but drawing traditionally is pure suffering. I hate pens and pencils and always have.
>>
Maybe you're better at traditional? Same thing happens to me because I know I'm going to struggle and be stressed out trying to wrangle the shitty digital pen and my drawing is going to look bad and discourage me.
>>
It's because digital is a soulless waste of time and you subconsciously know it.

You have to put in 10x as much time to get a digital painting to look half as good as an amateurish traditional painting because it lacks so much soul that digital artist have to zoom into the microscopic level and put in autistic amounts of detail just to make their lifeless sludge have the impression of soul.
>>
I do. It sounds dumb but one of the aspects of it that genuinely causes me to panic is the canvas size. I feel like no matter what size I set it to it always feels too small, so it's constantly on my mind when trying to draw
>>
File: IMAG002 (2).gif (465 KB, 686x1029)
465 KB
465 KB GIF
My chosen medium is to draw in pencil,scan it into Photoshop, and isolate the image,alter the contrast, and toss a copy of it into the library folder. Erasing the extra white areas of a scene bit is necessary but tedious, and I have squirmed in my chair getting through it,often abandoning the computer until the fidgets went away. But manipulating the cleaned imagery never did that, because the challenges of figuring out how to build the panels held my attention. Maybe you are doing a tedious job?
>>
>>7157172
Love seeing your posts pop up in random threads. I know you've got less time to draw now due to a work/life situation, have you learned how to make it work yet?
>>
File: 20240409_090519.jpg (2.16 MB, 3000x4000)
2.16 MB
2.16 MB JPG
>>7157280
It's been a tough April at work. The two group leaders were out sick for over a month,and only one made it back,so I haven't drawn much from the exhaustion. I have bounced back, and this is my latest finished work, and presently I am working on something similar. I want a tshirt design,just for myself to make a prototype of,so what time I have to draw has been leaning in that direction. Anything I put to paper is a win.

To me at least.
>>
And this is the present work,a whimsical design and experiment.
>>
File: 20240506_092052.jpg (2.01 MB, 4000x3000)
2.01 MB
2.01 MB JPG
>>
>>7153509
I'm the opposite, sketching on my PC feels great because I can erase quick and easy, but if I do that too much on paper it ends up being a mess. For lineart I stress the fuck out when doing it digitally for some reason.
>>
>>7153469
Could be your eyes are just light sensitive I get a head ache sometimes if things are too bright. Try making your background a grey color before starting
>>
>>7153469
Because you are retarded, I fucking hate drawing on paper.
>>
>>7153469
You relax when you do what you're good at and get stressed when you do what you suck at.

>>7153498
>>7153511
Pseudo-scientific bullshit
>>
>>7161914
All scientifically supported. Peer-reviewed and replicable. Empirical and demonstrative. Evident and, to the intelligent, readily obvious.
>>
You can't even draw lightly on digital. C'mon now.
>>
>>7153469
for me it is because i have Ctrl+Z at my disposal at all times when drawing digitally and Ctrl+Z stresses me out. Also the ability to edit your drawing as much as u want kinda incentivizes a flawless and finished drawing if that makes sense.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.