[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: FjiWSz1WAAA8Ja_.jpg (176 KB, 837x708)
176 KB
176 KB JPG
People who drew 8 hours per day unironically since they where beg level just to "get good quickly": how is the overall experience and how fast did you improve compared to other people who draw a few hours per day?
>>
I didn't draw 8 hours per day everyday but on average it's not too far behind (maybe 5 or 6, including no-draw days and 10+ hour days) It would obviously have been impossible to get the same results from a few hours per day. The experience has been positive, I would have been more dissatisfied with my pictures if I spent less time drawing. Drawing more has made me get better faster than I would have if I didn't draw as much, and that should be the same for everybody unless they're forcing themselves when they've already shut down or something.
>>
>>7144778
when I was learning musical instruments i noticed the same gains whether i studied for an hour for a month or 4 hours a day for a month (always intellegent critical practice)...is it different for drawing ?
>>
intelligent* lol worst place to typo
>>7144796
>>
>Draw nonstop for a month
>Quit for six
>Draw nonstop for another month
>People compliment me on my progress.
>>
>>7144778
Post your work (I mean this nicely)
>>
>>7144864
I gain nothing but potential headaches from doing that in public. If you have goodwill and it would help you in any way I could send you it privately in another context, but I can't do that here.
>>
stop thinking about hours and start putting them hours.

stupid faggot.
>>
>>7144874
Just do a quick sketch of a generic figure?
>>
>>7144778
Pyw you tard
>>
>>7144749
I can't even manage an hour a day anymore, and only once every three days now.
>>
>>7144956
Why? What would I gain from this, think about it from someone else's perspective. I answered OPs question, that's all.
>>7144964
Guys like this will just give me a headache if I "PYW". He'll just look for ways to discredit me, calling me a liar, say I'm tracing, say I'm prompting, whatever he can come up with. Been through all that shit before. Or attack the content, the style, say I suck, whatever. Before I know it there will be some big argument. If you want to see "YW" there's plenty of places to do so.
>>
>>7144805
I’m the same way. I think drawing a lot early on is important for artists starting out because it’s not just learning, it’s doing with the hand, there’s a sort of muscle memory that goes along with drawing. Control, consistency, things like that. And as long as the studies are structured, I think drawing for hours at a time can be productive.

But too often I see artists who just study from a photo or piece of art they like and I’ll ask “What’s the purpose of your study? Was it for light and color? Practicing a texture? A subject you’re not familiar with? Anatomy?” And the artist will say they didn’t have a goal in mind. Repetition is important for learning, that’s true. It’s why little kids want you to read the same book to them over and over again. But don’t study aimlessly. Unless you’re doing it to unwind and relax.
>>
File: 1687200432218370.jpg (74 KB, 706x728)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
>>7144749
>/ic/ niggas unironically think spending hours drawing is hard and miserable
this fucking board, man
>>
People thinking art cant be enjoyable is the funniest thing like these niggas based their whole personality off whiplash
>>
>>7144996
Sure buddy. Still didn’t pyw though.
>>
File: picrel.png (25 KB, 650x675)
25 KB
25 KB PNG
>>7144749
started grinding just before college: if i wasn't in my classes or working, i was almost always drawing while studying art books, be it trad or digital (i eventually settled on the latter)
i say "almost always" because at the time, i was also learning music theory on a guitar, a few languages for work-related reasons, and several others just for fun (vehicles, clothing, the list goes on), it's almost been a decade since i started
also this >>7145018, the grind never felt like torture to me, but i did know i was utter dogshit when i started taking art seriously: i avoided feeling bummed out about hitting walls by focusing on a different subject when i burnt out on one (drawing machinery instead of people, instruments instead of clothes, etc.)
>tl;dr
i just drew, and kept on drawing
>>
>>7144749
Is everyone here a neet? How thr fuck are you drawing 8 hours a day
>>
>>7145110
i doubt more than 1% is drawing 8 hours a day
>>
>>7145018
These are the same people casually clocking in 30-40 hours in vidya a week though,funny they think art is a chore
>>
>>7144996
Yup, so you don't draw.
>>
Is it possible to become the kind of person who draws for 8 hours every day or am I stuck like this forever?
>>
>>7145562
If you are an absolut beg, you start small first, maybe half hour a day, or a full hour. And eventually with time you will reach the 8 hours a day.
>>
I don’t know if it’s possible, the amount I could do comfortably and consistently was 2-3 hours a day and just keep that up indefinitely, I feel like 8 is usually an arbitrary number
>>
Sometimes i can't tell the time.
>>
>>7144749
I draw 20 minutes a day because I force myself to.
still not good

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.