[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Does /ic/ accept graffiti as an art?

What are your opinions on graffiti culture as an outsider?

Post your crimes

(Bolton, Greater Manchester, England)
>>
I like how it looks, especially elaborate ones. They had soon to many soulless buildings. Sometimes its the opposite and I fucking hate seeing them in nature spots or beautiful art sculptures
>>
File: 1407666231_ab762793ba.jpg (140 KB, 500x375)
140 KB
140 KB JPG
>>7142713
I've always quite liked graffiti art, though I'm somewhat picky, I think tags and the illegible random words people spray look like ass and just make the place they've sprayed look trashy. Meanwhile Murals, Stenciled Illustrations, Paste-ups, and other interesting pieces of Street Art (such as more sculptural pieces) tend to liven up the area and can often become one of the features of the area they were put up in.

Though I appear to be in the minority on this board, when it comes to having any appreciation of graffiti/street art. Every discussion I've seen either feels it's all trashy, or it's criminal and therefore nothing noteworthy.
I think Graffiti is fine, so long as it's not on people's more private property (their dwellings or vehicles). If someone sprays your car, you should have the right to beat their fucking skull in, but otherwise; I'm fine generally with graffiti.
>>
>>7142713
My proudest piece of graffiti I made when I was 15-16. It was late at night and there was this huge train stopped on the tracks near my parents' apartment block. Some sort of maintenance problem. It was there for a whole day and nobody was going near it so I made this massive elongated cock that stretched across multiple cars. It was pretty funny.
>>
>>7142713
>>
>>7142913
>>
>>7142713
Yeah I like it but it's not my favorite genre of art
>>
>>7142940
its art thats more fun to do than to look at most of the time
>>
>>7142713
Mostly hate it since over 90% of it is just tagging with no effort behind it and it is just makes places look fucking ugly. Knew someone who actually was more interested in doing pieces than this bullshit and he quit, because jealous faggot would almost always tag over his art within a few days. In general it is more about dickwaving than actually trying to do art.
>>
>>7143028
>jealous faggot would almost always tag over his art within a few days.
There are 'unwritten rules' with graffiti, and one is you don't tag over someones superior work - but why does anyone expect a bunch of cunts who are getting off to breaking the law to respect these unwritten rules?
>>
File: Wow, So Deep_2.jpg (119 KB, 937x937)
119 KB
119 KB JPG
>>7142713
I decided to take a look at a blog that posts street art images since I haven't looked at that stuff in ages, I used to love it when I was younger, but I take back any positive feeling I've ever expressed towards Graffiti.
I saw this fucking picrel and was blown away by how pretentious these idiots are, and there were so many like this, in the exact same fucking vein.

I'm sure the people in Ukraine, or Palestine, or whichever war torn shit hole, are so happy that you sprayed some dude's house to let them know:
>war bad :'(
That's so fucking deep, and so much better than someone trying to sell me something. I love being morally finger-wagged by someone defacing someone else's property!
>>
File: Wow, So Deep.jpg (174 KB, 800x1150)
174 KB
174 KB JPG
Jeez, thanks Banksy! I had no idea that war should be stopped, until I saw your shitty wall scribble of a sad child telling me it should!
Why read philosophy or religion for moral and spiritual guidance when you can just read the walls of a bathroom stall?
>>
>>7142713
I don't care for it visually. Overwhelming majority of it is just unreadable signatures and of the ones with actual pictures it's usually just graffiti iconography.
Spray cans, weed, skulls, crowns, monkeys. Typical slacktivist sayings and ideas. You aren't going to change the world like that.
If anything, you are making it worse. Never heard of crime going down in vandalized areas.
>>
>>7143333
Toy as fuck lol. White girl graffiti.
>>
>>7143313
Not only do these cunts do this, they also seem to like to use either someone elses tag name for it or have some second different tag name they use for this kind of stuff. There is no honor among thieves.
>>
>>7142713
graffitti artists have great shape language
but thats about it
>>
I like funny wall drawings and writings i don't know what are you all so pressed about. It's not such a big deal. Spongebob squarepants and bart simpson hold hands and say stop war. Sure why the fuck not
>>
File: HAND avatar 2.png (48 KB, 252x253)
48 KB
48 KB PNG
OC
>>
>>7142713
Grafiti are art, they may be the easiest visual art but they still require tons of practice to reach the higher levels
>>
>>7143637
lmao recently, twice, I stumbled upon white girls writing on the walls. first time was a pack of about 6 of them, 30s at least, gluing paper and writing stuff on them;second time was two girls in their 20s at best, scribbling stuff with acrylic markers.

I always assumed graffiti was a middle-class or more white teen male activity.

>>7143333
probably more immature than pretentious. fundamentally they're right, but there's so much missing from scribbled picture.

>>7143313
I've saw scribbles on religious buildings, scribbles on high-end 150yo architecture, so many scribbles over commissioned graffitis. unwritten rules my butt, if I dare say so.
>>
>>7145017
yeah, as much as I as don't like it, largely because it's forcefully imposed, the guys definitely have skills. those wiggas (lmao TIL "wigger" is a word) can work darn fast, it's quite impressive
>>
>>7142713
SHEEEEIT IM AN ARTEIS, IM FUCKING MIKY LANGEYS NIGGA!!!
>>
File: IMG_7075.jpg (3.22 MB, 4032x3024)
3.22 MB
3.22 MB JPG
This is for OP, i also used to do graffiti (15 years ago) and have not done graffiti or art for that long. Graffiti was cool for me because i liked colors and scribbling. its been so long i lost my way and im trying to go back to art in general (studying on my own). here's some scribbles i did last week after 15+ years of doing nothing (growing up and working at an insurance office as an adjuster sucks...the life of you)
>>
File: IMG_7076.jpg (3.62 MB, 4032x3024)
3.62 MB
3.62 MB JPG
Another scribbles of studies...trying to learn from my mistakes
>>
^something i notice as you get older your hand shakes and is not as firm as it used to be (in my case) :(
>>
>>7145280
stop drinking :smiley: and train them
>>
>Does /ic/ accept graffiti as an art?
Depends. Like all art, if it has effort and looks good, then it’s nice art.
However, if you do shit like this, I hope you die.
>>
>graffiti
>>
>>7146722
Graffiti isn't necessarily illegal in itself - it's just often done against the will of the private property's owner, which makes it vandalism. However, there is plenty of legal graffiti as well.

Though, there's no denying that part of the 'charm' of graffiti is it's often found where it's not meant to be.
>>
>>7142916
>>7142913
>>7143333
>>7144994
shit
>>
>>7146711
What's this place? Is it San Lorenzo?
I can see "w la figa" an upside down crosses that are archetypal milanese graffiti
>>
there is nothing as narcissistic as that shittier genre of graffitti thats just the graffitoid's pen names written in that shitty blobby fot
if graffittoids hsd balls they'd draw shit on thier own walls instead of shitting up public property
>>
>>7146746
You win.
I wish graffiti “artists” in this city could do better than tags and shitty anarchist symbols.
>>
>>7146788
yeah it's tough, look at the bright side, at least it's not like Genova or Bologna where most of the graffitis are commie gobbledygook about abolishing capitalism and starting the revolution
>>
>>7146730
...fair enough. It would be less controversial if you guys made a thread about murals in general, rather than just about graffiti. Some murals are really based
>>
>>7142713
Are there any cities where artists have used graffiti to organically enhance the environment according to some sort of logic or aesthetic?
I.E, I've been tempted to do this myself because things around here are so brutalistic and dull, but what about something where multiple artists organize organically (with no city intervention,) and slowly begin enlivening a place with things that are actually interesting to look at. Turn an alleyway into a psychedelic tunnel, add arabesque patterns to doorways and walkways slowly and progressively, each artist adding something unique like a huge collective drawpile?
Are there any places like this where art has overtaken or 'grown' into the space over time?
>>
>>7146996
Maybe Lyon? I am sure parts of it are city sanctioned at some level or another but there are a lot of 'organic' pieces there too.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.